You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
zubalkabir

Kitakaze vs Harugumo

15 comments in this topic

[DOG]
Members
1,301 posts
13,507 battles

I finally got around to grinding the Japanese gunboat destroyers.  Akizuki was good.  Kitakaze is great.  Looking at Wiki, Harugumo seems like it will be closer to a side grade than a pure upgrade.  Minor loss of speed and maneuverability, combined with a nerf in concealment, in exchange for more hit points, an extra turret, and more AA.  When I get a tier X, I usually move up whatever commander I've been grinding as I go up  the line, which usually has 18-19 points by then, and I'll stick a lower point captain in the tier IX if I decide to keep it.  I may hold off this time, however, because the Kitakaze is so good, and I'm not sure if I'll play Harugumo enough to make it worthwhile.  Anyone out there have a Harugumo and wished they'd kept their high skill captain at tier IX?

[RLGN]
Members
16,223 posts
28,096 battles

Yeah... Harugumo is a coal barge and a meme bote.

Everyone shouts 'MAH GUNS! MAH GUNS!' while quivering in extasy, but to me, that it turns about as well as a greased pig on ice is a major turn off.

Just by casual comparrison, I think the only thing that's worse is Khab.

[-K-]
Members
8,491 posts
14,883 battles

Haragumo has more firepower, but Kitakaze is a better balanced package.

[INTEL]
[INTEL]
Members
7,779 posts
37,567 battles

Agree with what they said, having all three (Aki, Kita, Haru). Kitakaze is the best of the bunch. Harugumo is good but slower and fatter.

[-K-]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
7,922 posts
10,311 battles

Kita is a more fun ship of the two.

[UNHLY]
Members
5,069 posts
14,189 battles

Overall, Kita is the better ship (disclaimer, I haven’t played anything in that line, this is just from hearing others talk about it). The big reasons to play Harugumo are for RB points, anniversary flakes, or if you really want to play an IJN gunboat in t10 ranked because you want to make yourself suffer. 

Some pros of Harugumo over Kita: extra gun turret, slightly more health 

Some cons of Harugumo over Kita:  handles like a “greased pig on ice” (love the mental image @Estimated_Prophet), costs more to run, takes full AP pens from BBs and large cruisers

[SRBL]
Members
553 posts
15,142 battles
2 hours ago, zubalkabir said:

I finally got around to grinding the Japanese gunboat destroyers.  Akizuki was good.  Kitakaze is great.  Looking at Wiki, Harugumo seems like it will be closer to a side grade than a pure upgrade.  Minor loss of speed and maneuverability, combined with a nerf in concealment, in exchange for more hit points, an extra turret, and more AA.  When I get a tier X, I usually move up whatever commander I've been grinding as I go up  the line, which usually has 18-19 points by then, and I'll stick a lower point captain in the tier IX if I decide to keep it.  I may hold off this time, however, because the Kitakaze is so good, and I'm not sure if I'll play Harugumo enough to make it worthwhile.  Anyone out there have a Harugumo and wished they'd kept their high skill captain at tier IX?

I keep a 19pt captain in Kita and rarely play my Gumo, the Kit one of the best tech tree ships and much more fun to play. 

Edited by Tom_Greg

[PVE]
Members
8,505 posts
24,628 battles
4 hours ago, zubalkabir said:

Anyone out there have a Harugumo and wished they'd kept their high skill captain at tier IX?

That's an absurd question...they would need to have transfered their high skill captain to Haragumo in order to wish they'd kept it at IX :-)

Edited by IfYouSeeKhaos

[GOB]
Members
2,736 posts

ughhhhh I wish I had asked this question a couple of weeks ago.  Got them both and have been spreading the EXP between the two commanders.  Should have focused on the KITA, he would be 19 by now.

[GRETA]
Members
1,432 posts
10,883 battles

In my experience Kita is a more versatile ship.  Harugumo needs to be played a very specific way to be effective and is a beast when played that way but few people (including teammates) understand this making playing her correctly challenging at times.  

Kita can be played like a typical ijn dd meaning you can meat the expectations of your team filling the roles and responsibilities of a dd without negatively effecting your ability to use your ship to it's strengths. 

[PRVTR]
Members
1,141 posts
6,369 battles
3 hours ago, MidnightPhoenix07 said:

takes full AP pens from BBs and large cruisers

I remember the time that I nuked a full health Harugumo with 6 (7? ) full AP Pens from a Kurfurst. It was the most awesome and most disgusting thing that I've done in my entire time playing World of Warships.

( The other thing was farming a Witherer and an Arsonist off of a single Conqueror while playing the Kleber. Poor fella might've stood a chance if it weren't for the fact that my team's Yamato peeked out and blasted him for 50k, right before he popped his superheal, leaving him on less than 2000 HP, which I promptly finished with an AP Salvo. )

-Shrayes