You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Mahrs

Pro Tips (s) from a Returning Casual (ship post)

15 comments in this topic

Members
1,797 posts
5,635 battles

I see a lot of folks upset about their play and struggling to to get that “W” - I’m here to help you out and make it happen! Read on for my secret tips to dominant gameplay.

1. The corners of the map are your friends! They’re always the best spot to be. Remember, if you’re not in range of any reds with your guns, you’re probably out of range for them too.
  2. Don’t shoot DD - they’re so little and hard to hit, plus they’ve got it tough. Be a kind heart and fling some HE at a BB in the distance - he needs fireproof/dreadnought and you’ll feel better about yourself with bigger damage numbers.
  3. See that RN cruiser, Kutuzov, Smolensk, Flint? You’re gonna wanna ignore those - they’re guns are little, so go ahead and just turn broadside to them to assert dominance. 
  4. DON’T focus fire - it’s unsporting to work as a team and wreck face (especially against any of the ships above).
  5. DO find a group of enemy ships to fight alone or one at a time. WoWS is best played like your favorite martial arts movie - you’re Bruce Lee on water!
  6. Constant direction, constant speed is the ticket, especially if there are destroyers around. Play that 4D chess and win by tricking them into thinking you might evade and then sailing straight.
  7. Can’t get to a map corner? Hump an island. Open water is for suckers anyway. When using this technique, you want to be as close to your spawn as possible.
  8. Map control is over rated - if you’re surrounded you can shoot ships in any direction, that’s way better.
  9. Ignore the caps unless you’re going to sail into the center by yourself to fight like a man (see #5 above).
  10. Ignore BB, yours and theirs. If your BB wanted your help, they’d be in a different ship. Similarly, you can really frustrate the reds by showing them that perfect broadside and letting RNG troll them. 

There you have it! Follow these tips and success on the high seas will be yours!

For all you old hands out there, what can you add to this sweet list? 

• Funny 5
  • Haha 4
  • Meh 1

[0456]
Members
3,824 posts
10,091 battles
28 minutes ago, Mahrs said:
  1. ...if you’re surrounded you can shoot ships in any direction, that’s way better.

One of my favourite quotes... "sir, we are surrounded." "Great! We can fire in all directions!" 

Another goes something like: "Flank is collapsing, the front is failing; situation excellent, I am attacking!" 

As to what I could add to the list: 

Don't look at the minimap- it is small and your eyes will go square. 

• Cool 2

Members
33 posts
395 battles

The enemy will be expecting you to switch shell types to suit the situation. Don't fall into their trap! Shoot the same shell to confuse them and throw them off script

Edited by noupperlobeman
  • Cool 1

[0456]
Members
3,824 posts
10,091 battles
3 minutes ago, HamptonRoads said:

Smoke is like a force field.  While you sit inside of it, you are all be invulnerable to enemy attacks.

But only if static. 

[1984]
Members
4,482 posts
21,506 battles
2 hours ago, _ENO_ said:

One of my favourite quotes... "sir, we are surrounded." "Great! We can fire in all directions!" 

Another goes something like: "Flank is collapsing, the front is failing; situation excellent, I am attacking!" 

As to what I could add to the list: 

Mine is:

We're paratroopers, we’re supposed to be surrounded.

Goes well with:

Nuts!

Edited by monpetitloup
  • Cool 2

[PVE]
Members
8,497 posts
24,554 battles
1 hour ago, _ENO_ said:

Only heard reference to it on forums so yours may be more accurate but the way I heard it was "Sir, we are surrounded" "Great! They can't get away now!"

My suggestion...if you wanna farm karma points...is to immediately fire your guns after launching your torps at an unsuspecting straightline BB. They will appreciate the sportsmanlike conduct of not acting like 1 of those damage farmers that only attack big ships instead of capping & spotting for your team.

Oh yes...almost forgot...if you run into the islands you can get a better view of the topless sunbathers that WG's graphics team has included for your viewing pleasure (a little known about Easter egg missed by most because they avoid the islands from thinking it gives you better maneuverability by being more mobile...utter fallacy concocted by the moral majority that doesn't approve of the topless sunbathers).

Edited by IfYouSeeKhaos
  • Cool 1

[PVE]
Members
8,497 posts
24,554 battles
1 hour ago, _ENO_ said:

Common sense tells you it's hard to look a-ROUND on a SQUARE mini-map.

Edited by IfYouSeeKhaos

Members
1,797 posts
5,635 battles

Gentlemen...so many good tips here that I am utterly embarrassed to have over looked.  I’m have never been more proud of the community!

• Thanks 1

[SIDE]
Members
4,939 posts

That invisible destroyer with unlimited torp spam is more vulnerable and afraid of your battleship than you are of it. So the mafia says.. 

You win faster if all your destroyers take caps in first 2 minutes.

Don't wait for that fire to burn out! Just hit the dam-con button.

You have 22km gun range in your battleship so you don't have to move up.

Don't worry about team mates in the path of your torpedo spread. They will move.

Edited by thebigblue

[0456]
Members
3,824 posts
10,091 battles

18 minutes ago, Mahrs said:

Gentlemen...so many good tips here that I am utterly embarrassed to have over looked.  I’m have never been more proud of the community!

I am amazed it's been over 30 minutes and not a single disparaging comment about how to play CVs. 

Whoops... here they come!  

[PVE]
Members
8,497 posts
24,554 battles
6 minutes ago, _ENO_ said:

I am amazed it's been over 30 minutes and not a single disparaging comment about how to play CVs. 

Whoops... here they come!  

And don't play CVs or they will give everybody cancer :-)

The More You Know...

Edited by IfYouSeeKhaos

Members
37 posts
959 battles
3 hours ago, Mahrs said:

1. Don’t shoot DD - they’re so little and hard to hit, plus they’ve got it tough. Be a kind heart and fling some HE at a BB in the distance - he needs fireproof/dreadnought and you’ll feel better about yourself with bigger damage numbers.

most true statement ever made

Banned
1,684 posts
3 hours ago, Mahrs said:

I see a lot of folks upset about their play and struggling to to get that “W” - I’m here to help you out and make it happen! Read on for my secret tips to dominant gameplay.

1. The corners of the map are your friends! They’re always the best spot to be. Remember, if you’re not in range of any reds with your guns, you’re probably out of range for them too.
  2. Don’t shoot DD - they’re so little and hard to hit, plus they’ve got it tough. Be a kind heart and fling some HE at a BB in the distance - he needs fireproof/dreadnought and you’ll feel better about yourself with bigger damage numbers.
  3. See that RN cruiser, Kutuzov, Smolensk, Flint? You’re gonna wanna ignore those - they’re guns are little, so go ahead and just turn broadside to them to assert dominance. 
  4. DON’T focus fire - it’s unsporting to work as a team and wreck face (especially against any of the ships above).
  5. DO find a group of enemy ships to fight alone or one at a time. WoWS is best played like your favorite martial arts movie - you’re Bruce Lee on water!
  6. Constant direction, constant speed is the ticket, especially if there are destroyers around. Play that 4D chess and win by tricking them into thinking you might evade and then sailing straight.
  7. Can’t get to a map corner? Hump an island. Open water is for suckers anyway. When using this technique, you want to be as close to your spawn as possible.
  8. Map control is over rated - if you’re surrounded you can shoot ships in any direction, that’s way better.
  9. Ignore the caps unless you’re going to sail into the center by yourself to fight like a man (see #5 above).
  10. Ignore BB, yours and theirs. If your BB wanted your help, they’d be in a different ship. Similarly, you can really frustrate the reds by showing them that perfect broadside and letting RNG troll them. 

There you have it! Follow these tips and success on the high seas will be yours!

For all you old hands out there, what can you add to this sweet list? 

Comedy post. Didn't hit