Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
GrayPanther2018

No fighter spotting 9.11

14 comments in this topic

[PHD]
Members
1,931 posts
7,441 battles

in Notzers video about the Captain skills rework he is looking at the CV Captain skills and in one skill box about increasing a fighter abilities is a note saying that fighters, not rocket fighters, will no longer spot ships.

Unless I missed the change, if it is already in rhe game, it will be a nerf on CVs who no longer be able to drop a fighter patrol on a DD to keep it spotted.

But that is just in testing so far.  A Yay, from DD players everywhere. :Smile_great:

• Cool 2
  • Meh 2

[D33P6]
Members
572 posts
12 minutes ago, GrayPanther2018 said:

in Notzers video about the Captain skills rework he is looking at the CV Captain skills and in one skill box about increasing a fighter abilities is a note saying that fighters, not rocket fighters, will no longer spot ships.

Unless I missed the change, if it is already in rhe game, it will be a nerf on CVs who no longer be able to drop a fighter patrol on a DD to keep it spotted.

But that is just in testing so far.  A Yay, from DD players everywhere. :Smile_great:

Yes, based on what they released on the dev blog that included the excel sheet on the new CV's skills.

Tier IV skill, Focused.  "Patrol Fighter attacks only aircraft carrier's squadrons and can be destroyed only by AA fire. Patrol Fighter cannot spot enemy's ship"

If I understand it correctly they will not detect enemy ships only if the CV player HAS taken the skill. 

Unless they fix Patrol Fighters to actually be able to shoot down enemy squadron's and not be easily glitched or out ran.  I do not see this skill actually being worthwhile.  The incoming proposed change to reducing air detectability will create a much larger importance in the patrol fighters spotting to engage enemy DD's.

EDIT:  I just visited the dev blog.  I guess they are looking at implementing Skip bomber's now.

Edited by HeadSplit120

[-BUI-]
Members
2,703 posts
7,030 battles
32 minutes ago, GrayPanther2018 said:

Thats only if you take the skill, it makes your fighters better at attacking enemy attack planes, makes the enemy fighters not a direct counter , at the cost of losing their ability to spot.   

The skill reads:  "Effect:  Aggro range of Patrol Fighters increased by +N km (whatever that means) and they cannot be shot down by enemy planes. Patrol fighters cannot detect ships"

I don't find any of the fighter skills to be remotely worth taking.   This skill in particular looks designed to make fighter "cover" on allies more useful by first removing "edge dropping" your own fighters to get rid of them (which doesn't work if there is any AA around anyway, fighters melt in seconds to even the worst AA), while at the same time making them a bit more aggressive.    However, losing spotting, arguably the best use of fighters, is a huge penalty.     

I plan to ignore the fighter skills, unless you can follow enemy planes and pop your fighter on top of them and get instant results, its simply pointless.   Spotting with fighters, especially those DDs you stumble upon, is just too valuable. 

Edited by Zenn3k

[V_KNG]
Beta Testers
13,197 posts

Fighters have always been multiple returns for the investment. 

1) Cover for friendlies against potential incoming attack aircraft. You expect them to come to this spot. You drop to provide cover against the drop. Example, friendly DD planning to cap. 

2) Spotting - you anticipate reds will come where you drop the fighters. The reds could be in planes or surface ships or both. 

3) Markers - say the last place you saw a dd, you drop nearby so you can get out fast and return quickly. This is not an efficient use of fighters but works. 

4) Defense - you got surprised by a red fighter drop and wish to counter it so you drop your fighters. 

Fighters irritate me as a CV player. There once was quite a lot of flexibility in the old RTS fighters; now, long forgotten. We could, for example, target a friendly ship and forget them. They would fly about the target, providing an "air cap" of protection against red aircraft. 

We could also designate a path for them to follow... I still feel they went the wrong way with carriers. But that spilled milk has long curdled and been swept away.

This is my prediction: Based on their track record with carriers, whatever they do next will have results they cannot begin to predict. 

[PHD]
Members
1,931 posts
7,441 battles
1 hour ago, Herr_Reitz said:

This is my prediction: Based on their track record with carriers, whatever they do next will have results they cannot begin to predict. 

I know WG dropped the torp spotting by aircraft some time ago. I was thinking they might be expanding non spotting by fighters as a balance change, like the not implemented (yet) reduction of DD air detection range.

One loss in the CV rework was the ability of not routing planes back to the CV directly, to make it harder to find the CV by following the returning planes.

[WOLFG]
Members
33,651 posts
10,445 battles
8 hours ago, GrayPanther2018 said:

My take is that the skill(s) in question are a "trap", to reduce the number of players spotting with dropped fighters, just like the KM CVs.

You have a finite number of CV players, and the more of them you can get giving up their spotting and/or playing CVs that are relatively ineffective against DDs, the easier things can (not will) be for DDs in any given game.

A lot of people have said that the RTS CVs really weren't any better, but appeared less, so were tolerable. So it makes sense to mitigate DD issues in this fashion. As a bonus, it isn't forced upon the CV players.

Even if speccing into fighters, or playing KM CVs, turns out to be a no-no according to knowledgeable players, a lot of people aren't going to get the memo, or figure it out themselves, and do it anyway.

[PHD]
Members
1,931 posts
7,441 battles
34 minutes ago, Skpstr said:

My take is that the skill(s) in question are a "trap", to reduce the number of players spotting with dropped fighters, just like the KM CVs.

You have a finite number of CV players, and the more of them you can get giving up their spotting and/or playing CVs that are relatively ineffective against DDs, the easier things can (not will) be for DDs in any given game.

A lot of people have said that the RTS CVs really weren't any better, but appeared less, so were tolerable. So it makes sense to mitigate DD issues in this fashion. As a bonus, it isn't forced upon the CV players.

Even if speccing into fighters, or playing KM CVs, turns out to be a no-no according to knowledgeable players, a lot of people aren't going to get the memo, or figure it out themselves, and do it anyway.

I was hesitant to mention it so maybe just let it go unnoticed. But thought someone might find it useful. 

So far. I  just play PvE where the bot CVs are a relatively benign bunch, other than the ones that spot me before I ca get far from the spawn and hence targeted by evey bot in range. Most of the IJN DDs don't move very fast.

[JEDI-]
Members
2,684 posts
6,903 battles

So they are making planes even more blind?

This is really hilarious. Pilots flying around too blind to see ships.

They are making CV unplayable with the constant nerfing.

This company is a joke.

• Cool 1
  • Boring 1

[CLUMP]
Members
1,896 posts
2,412 battles
1 hour ago, xalmgrey said:

So they are making planes even more blind?

This is really hilarious. Pilots flying around too blind to see ships.

They are making CV unplayable with the constant nerfing.

This company is a joke.

You can thank DD yolo warriors for complaining constantly the big bad CV won't let me ninja torp everything without been spot it  :Smile_teethhappy:

• Cool 1

[BONKS]
Members
2,858 posts
52 battles
11 hours ago, GrayPanther2018 said:

Well, you have missed one thing:
Taking the skill is entirely optional and hampers your ability to take skills that enhance plane performance, meaning that it is actually a noob trap which is the case for every new fighter skill, really.

[PHD]
Members
1,931 posts
7,441 battles
43 minutes ago, El2aZeR said:

Well, you have missed one thing:
Taking the skill is entirely optional and hampers your ability to take skills that enhance plane performance, meaning that it is actually a noob trap which is the case for every new fighter skill, really.

I get that now. I was thinking it was referring to a nerf that was going to be introduced into the game, not a nerf specific to that skill. 

I live in hope, misguided as it may be.

[PHD]
Members
1,931 posts
7,441 battles
3 hours ago, SecondClassCVCitizen said:

I thought the cv rework was done.  Apparently not so then can we have rts back?

Done? Is anything ever done, err, finished?

I just try to keep up with what pertains to me. That goes about as well as my gameplay :Smile_amazed:

Sign in to follow this