You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
_8V92_Detroit_

Roma/Littorio fails

7 comments in this topic

[SPTR]
Members
2,306 posts
2,542 battles

I got Littorio a few weeks ago, and initially loved it. First dozen games I was averaging 106k and 72% WR.

Now with 38 games I'm suddenly down to 79k average and 46% WR...and I don't feel like I'm playing any different than I was at the start. The guns just fail to perform, and i can't seem to aim anymore either. I don't consider myself a great player, but I'd like to think I'm above the average 49% potato. But now I go from being able to manage 90-100k pretty easily to struggling to manage 40-50k a match. What am I doing wrong? I've got a stealth build, since the isn't much else to build her for. 

With a 12 point captain, I have PT, AR, superintendent, CE, and high alert. 

Doesn't help that all but 2 matches I've played in the past almost 2 weeks have been total blowout games...

20200906_213748_PISB708-AZUR-Littorio_46_Estuary.wowsreplay

20200906_212139_PISB708-AZUR-Littorio_15_NE_north.wowsreplay

20200906_205743_PISB708-AZUR-Littorio_14_Atlantic.wowsreplay

[NMKJT]
Members
2,718 posts
7,615 battles
2 hours ago, 7_3_PowerStroke said:

I got Littorio a few weeks ago, and initially loved it. First dozen games I was averaging 106k and 72% WR.

Now with 38 games I'm suddenly down to 79k average and 46% WR...and I don't feel like I'm playing any different than I was at the start. The guns just fail to perform, and i can't seem to aim anymore either. I don't consider myself a great player, but I'd like to think I'm above the average 49% potato. But now I go from being able to manage 90-100k pretty easily to struggling to manage 40-50k a match. What am I doing wrong? I've got a stealth build, since the isn't much else to build her for. 

With a 12 point captain, I have PT, AR, superintendent, CE, and high alert.

Doesn't help that all but 2 matches I've played in the past almost 2 weeks have been total blowout games...

I run a survival-stealth build in Roma, nothing special. But it sounds like you had a honeymoon period with the ship, and now your performance is just being normalized. It might be putting off your play now, the aiming issues is a sign you're starting games already frustrated with playing Littorio. It's probably best to just take a break from the ship, a lot of times you benefit from stepping away from the ship and coming back fresh a week or two later.

[SPTR]
Members
2,306 posts
2,542 battles
7 hours ago, MnemonScarlet said:

I run a survival-stealth build in Roma, nothing special. But it sounds like you had a honeymoon period with the ship, and now your performance is just being normalized. It might be putting off your play now, the aiming issues is a sign you're starting games already frustrated with playing Littorio. It's probably best to just take a break from the ship, a lot of times you benefit from stepping away from the ship and coming back fresh a week or two later.

That's what a clan member told me too, RNG was balancing me out...ugh. Thing is, I did. I went to play other nation's ships, different tiers, even walked away from the game entirely for a week. No change.

[LEHR]
Members
25 posts
2,034 battles

I just Added Roma and I'm still Playing with Modules and the Likes, I only have a 10+1 Commander in there right now, and that I stole from my Zara so one Skill is Useless in this Ship anyway reducing him to an 8+1 in Reality....      I use Preventive Main't, Expert Marksman, Superintendent, and Adrenaline Rush in the Roma with Smoke Screen Expert when he's in the Zara...    This just leaves the One Point to which I want to Add 2 more for Basic Firing Training or Basic Survival eventually as this thing does appear to be Set Ablaze pretty Easily.....    I have several other Commanders that are less Restricted in their Skill Choices, but that's because they're all mainly 7 Points right now, or Less....

Modules I started the Usual Fare of Main Armaments I, Damage Control I, Aiming System I, Rudder I and Concealment....     MA I got the Turrets to 26.9 Sec Rotation, but they still seemed Slow when you went for a Full Broadsde Drive By, so late lastnight I changed it to Main Battery I...       This Dropped the Turret Rotation to 22.6 and will ALMOST keep the Guns on the Target thru a Hard Turn and now I'm looking at Swapping Out Rudder for Propulsion to Slow the Turn a Bit again and gain Off the Line Speed instead....      The Guns aren't Horrid at Range, I feel they act more like they're 2 or 3 Tiers Below their Station with the Gun Handling as it is, maybe a little Lower but not much...    Makes then Workable at Range, but you're Nickle and Diming them with the Occasional 15" Citadel when they do Hit, but at Point Blank Ranges though they leave a Lasting Impression....

Now, it's probably not the Smartest way to Play it, but if you're good at Taking the Hits I think it Pays to use that to your Advantage and get right in there....     I haven't looked at ALL of the Skills as yet to Plot Out a Commander, but I do want to add Concealment Expert eventually to keep Out of Sight long enough to get in there and maybe Demolition Expert since I tend to usually Start Off with HE for the DD's and Cruisers Early in a Match....   I hate Over Pen's despite that they STILL do Damage, and at Range if nothing else  your Chances are pretty Good at hitting the Superstructure before it Drops thru the Hull at those Tiers.....     And when you DO get Top Tiered, those Guns just Pass right thru the Lower Tiers pretty easily...

I did however have one Game where one of my Front Turrets was Literally Disabled for the Rest of the Game, couldn't even Repair that....    Was a Drag, but I still managed to make it thru the Game on only 2/3 my Guns...    I need to find a way around that if it's Possible, maybe it's my Set Up, maybe it's the Ship, I'll be looking into that today....    But this Ship DOES See alot of Tier 10 Battles, more i think than my Tirpitz does I think, but that could also just be how Lastnight went as well with it being Friday Night Late...   

But I do like the Ship, really wanted the Tier 5 More because I'm a recent Starter and I wanted to stay Mid Tiers and not really Comfortable going into the Pub's in the Higher Tiers yet, but since ya can't get it anymore, I just Mated it to my Tirpitz and go Pub's in Divisions with my Buddy....    I Call it Sea Trials....    I would have gotten the AL Littorio if I'd had the Money for the 10pt Commander, I know it's a Direct Clone of the Roma, but for $3 you got the 10pt Commander instead of the No Point Commander that the Roma came with and that saves you a Metric Ton of Grinding if you're New to the Game or the Line....    I'd like to get the Italian Commander as well, but I'm not sure if the Crates in the Armory will give that with the Campaign being Over, and 6K in Coal for the Crates isn't Cheap either, but he seems like a Good Choice in the Long Run if you can still get him...

[PSA]
Members
5,095 posts
3,655 battles

Roma and it's clone are not great BBs. Guns are very unreliable and even more RNG dependent than pretty much every other BB in the game. She is very short ranged by high tier standards, and requires getting up close to not shotgun too much. But up close, her shells tend to overpen and she is very vulnerable to being dev struck due to her ginormous citadel.

Looks like the upcoming Italian BB line is addressing these issues by giving their BBs access to SAP as well as crawling smoke to be able to disengage from bad situations without getting instantly blapped for all their health. But Roma and Littorio may remain untouched despite vast majority of the community asking for buffs.

I wish Roma was more fun. I really do. She's absolutely beautiful. She has the *potential* to be fun, but is saddled by far too many problems to be competitive.

[UNC]
Members
769 posts
5,887 battles
53 minutes ago, KaptainKaybe said:

Roma and it's clone are not great BBs. Guns are very unreliable and even more RNG dependent than pretty much every other BB in the game. She is very short ranged by high tier standards, and requires getting up close to not shotgun too much. But up close, her shells tend to overpen and she is very vulnerable to being dev struck due to her ginormous citadel.

Looks like the upcoming Italian BB line is addressing these issues by giving their BBs access to SAP as well as crawling smoke to be able to disengage from bad situations without getting instantly blapped for all their health. But Roma and Littorio may remain untouched despite vast majority of the community asking for buffs.

I wish Roma was more fun. I really do. She's absolutely beautiful. She has the *potential* to be fun, but is saddled by far too many problems to be competitive.

Agreed, though the tech tree Italian BBs are trading sigma for SAP - they all have 1.6 sigma, vs 1.8 for Roma.  So unless something changes between now and release, they will likely have even worse gunnery than Roma.  Makes me sad, because they are gorgeous ships.

[PSA]
Members
5,095 posts
3,655 battles
On 10/2/2020 at 12:20 PM, Uncle_Lou said:

Agreed, though the tech tree Italian BBs are trading sigma for SAP - they all have 1.6 sigma, vs 1.8 for Roma.  So unless something changes between now and release, they will likely have even worse gunnery than Roma.  Makes me sad, because they are gorgeous ships.

I'm actually quite looking forward to them. Because of the crawling smoke, they can actually fulfill the role of close up brawler that Roma lacks as Roma currently has no means of disengaging from a bad situation without getting instantly blapped the moment her side is exposed. Plus secondaries don't have a smoke firing penalty.