Jump to content
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
VonSchoenvorts

The Mahan is a complete piece of....

16 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

Banned
120 posts
11,462 battles

I hate the Mahan, it sucks. Its detection is so bad you can see it from Pluto, the torps are weak, it's as tall as the Empire State Building so it makes an easy target, and everything else about it is pretty meh. The only two decent things to say about it are the guns fire fast and it has a long smoke screen. That said, smoke screens are torpedo magnets and the guns are very weak and don't start fires easily and aside from shooting DD's most shells are non pens. Furthermore the shell velocity and arc are also bad so hitting targets at range is difficult unless they are sitting still.

In conclusion, I hate the Mahan and can't wait to scrap it. I can only hope that Fletcher is worth this grind because I don't imagine the Benson will be much better.

giphy.gif

  • Haha 1
  • Boring 1
  • Meh 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4,795
[KWF]
Members
6,410 posts
7,154 battles

Benson and Fletcher are indeed better just by the Concealment upgrade alone. 5.8km detection is perfectly workable at high tiers.

That said, Mahan has the same DPM as Fletcher, torpedoes that can be enhanced with the Torpedo upgrade and classic USN Smoke. The ship used to be pretty bad, but now it's one of the most competitive tier VII DDs when it comes to dealing damage.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,131
[-TRM-]
[-TRM-]
Members
3,455 posts

I remember the Mahan.

Pick a deep cove under a island. GO there positioned ready to move out and torp some YOLO BB coming by at 1.5 km. They see me, secondaries start up and maybe begin to turn, but they are usually dead in the end.

I sold that ship and migrated to other DD's that suits me better.

You can have the finest DD in all the world but when your team YOLOs by the dozen past you and then fill up between you and your intended torp targets (Plural) tks become the problems o you don's shoot at all.

 

And you wonder why sometimes we have difficult days.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5,062
[12TF]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
9,259 posts

It's a decent Narai DD.  Narai is the OP of the week right now.  You can grind it out in there before the night is over.

I don't recommend selling ships.  Port slots are free now with missions.  Keep every one you can, even if you don't like it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
204
[R-R-R]
Members
1,069 posts
11,391 battles

If you think current Mahan is bad, consider Mahan I had to play a few years back.

She had 7.9km base concealment and you needed a 15pt captain to get CE to improve that(which most new players won't have when grinding up the line at T7). She only had 4s reload compared to current 3.3s.

She is at least a reasonable defensive ship now with great firepower to pewpew from smoke or kill overextending enemy DDs. If you get good MM to fight ships at T7 and below, you can even spec IFHE to melt down those thinly armored cruisers and BBs.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
361
[Y0L0W]
Beta Testers
354 posts
9,572 battles

T7 has always been the rough point in any line, I think its to get people to start spending those dubs was the same in WOTs too.

Mahan ya just want to find good spots to smoke up and farm damage that way, If your target pushes your smoke then you can use those low range torps. torps are not too bad these days if targets are pushing into you atleast you can stealth torp now.

Benson is a massive upgrade just because of the - to concealment mod and better torps, Does great top tier bottom tier not so much. Fletcher is where you really start the power of US universal dd's for sure, You can set her up to be a torp boat or gun ship and she does great even tho there are newer dd that focus on certain roles better.

Edited by EraserNZ1
  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5,062
[12TF]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
9,259 posts
27 minutes ago, EraserNZ1 said:

T7 has always been the rough point in any line, I think its to get people to start spending those dubs was the same in WOTs too.

Mahan ya just want to find good spots to smoke up and farm damage that way, If your target pushes your smoke then you can use those low range torps. torps are not too bad these days if targets are pushing into you atleast you can stealth torp now.

Again, Narai.  When I reset a line, work those theirs around when their operations are up for the week.  They are a single day grind, easily.  I reset the EU DDs this morning and thanks to Narai, if I don't want to wait and push hard, I will be at the T8 either really late tonight or mid day tomorrow. 

I have no idea why people overlook operations for line grinds.  T6 and T7 are easy street. T8-10 are the real grind, due to lack of operations for them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
361
[Y0L0W]
Beta Testers
354 posts
9,572 battles
13 minutes ago, Burnsy said:

Again, Narai.  When I reset a line, work those theirs around when their operations are up for the week.  They are a single day grind, easily.  I reset the EU DDs this morning and thanks to Narai, if I don't want to wait and push hard, I will be at the T8 either really late tonight or mid day tomorrow. 

I have no idea why people overlook operations for line grinds.  T6 and T7 are easy street. T8-10 are the real grind, due to lack of operations for them.

I can't stand playing vs bots its just so boring to play to get some fun out of the game not sit there like a zombie just doing it to grind lol

Edited by EraserNZ1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
361
[Y0L0W]
Beta Testers
354 posts
9,572 battles
9 minutes ago, Burnsy said:

T8 is where the actual grind begins. 

Only if its a bad ship... if its a good ship i say thats where the fun begins

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5,062
[12TF]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
9,259 posts
20 minutes ago, EraserNZ1 said:

I can't stand playing vs bots its just so boring to play to get some fun out of the game not sit there like a zombie just doing it to grind lol

I guess I just look at it differently.  Once I have a ship, I can play it in PVP whenever I want (and I do play randoms, a lot).  The goal, first and foremost, is to get the ships.  As efficiently as possible is the name of the game.  Maybe I am just a bit OCD. :Smile_teethhappy:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
512 posts
15,408 battles
2 hours ago, VonSchoenvorts said:

I hate the Mahan, it sucks. Its detection is so bad you can see it from Pluto, the torps are weak, it's as tall as the Empire State Building so it makes an easy target, and everything else about it is pretty meh. The only two decent things to say about it are the guns fire fast and it has a long smoke screen. That said, smoke screens are torpedo magnets and the guns are very weak and don't start fires easily and aside from shooting DD's most shells are non pens. Furthermore the shell velocity and arc are also bad so hitting targets at range is difficult unless they are sitting still.

In conclusion, I hate the Mahan and can't wait to scrap it. I can only hope that Fletcher is worth this grind because I don't imagine the Benson will be much better.

giphy.gif

this is hilarious,  Mahan is a great dd. If you want op ship, that user friendly and no skill go to the british bbs or the Soviet lines. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
816
[META_]
Members
1,832 posts
18,967 battles
2 hours ago, VonSchoenvorts said:

I hate the Mahan, it sucks. Its detection is so bad you can see it from Pluto, the torps are weak, it's as tall as the Empire State Building so it makes an easy target, and everything else about it is pretty meh. The only two decent things to say about it are the guns fire fast and it has a long smoke screen. That said, smoke screens are torpedo magnets and the guns are very weak and don't start fires easily and aside from shooting DD's most shells are non pens. Furthermore the shell velocity and arc are also bad so hitting targets at range is difficult unless they are sitting still.

In conclusion, I hate the Mahan and can't wait to scrap it. I can only hope that Fletcher is worth this grind because I don't imagine the Benson will be much better.

giphy.gif

I have a mahan video and many other dd videos. My Youtube channel Meta_Man2002 ..please check it out and subscribe if you like the videos. Have a great day 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Banned
120 posts
11,462 battles
1 hour ago, Did_I_hurt_U said:

You're crazy it's a great boat 

Crazy I'll grant you, and it may be a great boat...but as a DD it leaves a lot to be desired. Maybe it would make a good fishing trawler?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
7,122 posts
22,689 battles
3 hours ago, VonSchoenvorts said:

I hate the Mahan, it sucks. Its detection is so bad you can see it from Pluto, the torps are weak, it's as tall as the Empire State Building so it makes an easy target, and everything else about it is pretty meh. The only two decent things to say about it are the guns fire fast and it has a long smoke screen. That said, smoke screens are torpedo magnets and the guns are very weak and don't start fires easily and aside from shooting DD's most shells are non pens. Furthermore the shell velocity and arc are also bad so hitting targets at range is difficult unless they are sitting still.

In conclusion, I hate the Mahan and can't wait to scrap it. I can only hope that Fletcher is worth this grind because I don't imagine the Benson will be much better.

giphy.gif

The Mahan is a very very strong ship. Ignore concealment, take IFHE, and play it like a mini cruiser. Over a year ago a few in the know posted the the same thing, I thought they were nuts, until I tried it.

You can't play it like a capping DD.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,026
[TIMT]
Members
1,744 posts
5,623 battles

I remember struggling with Mahan too, at first. Felt like all the higher tier DDs and even the ones at T7 had all the advantages. This is mostly due to T7 being an awkward spot due to DDs having max concealment (since concealment usually goes up through the line and they don't have access to the module).

Now, this is what I remember from back then:

  • Get the long range torpedoes, you have a lot of them and even though they are slow you can use them more in a 'to whom it may concern' instead of 'dear target' fashion. Meaning torp choke points, smoke screens, use the range and block ways for the reds.
  • You won't be the first to the cap, and you will always be outspotted. Deal with it by bringing a bit of backup (i.e. push caps if you have friends with you and the red DD does not).
  • Also, your DPM is good so even if you are spotted first in a 1v1 if the red DD decides to attack his spotting advantage is gone.
  • Don't push DDs that have backup, they'll outspot you and their backup will shoot you.
  • Use the smoke to cover teammates and then spot for them. If you ask in chat at the start some smart people will tell you where they would like to have smoke. Dont forget you need to spot afterwards!

In general it is the most 'CL like' DD in the line, but it served me well. I had a bit of a struggle with Benson, but I love Fletcher to bits and even though Gearing is powercrept as hell it can be a good ship.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×