You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Usedcarjock

Ultimatum: Walk Me Back From the Edge

22 comments in this topic

[-TKS-]
Members
1,296 posts
10,716 battles

I’ll preface this by saying I am a very competitive person. I like to improve myself and I like to win. Losing should be constructive and a way to show how you as a player can improve. As a player personally, I don’t mind losing, but when the team throws hard in the first 5 minutes, I don’t get anything constructive to improve upon. I’m rewarded with salt. Lots of salt. And at this point I’ve more or less have had enough of it.

I’ve had what I would consider to be my worst day of World of Warships in the past few months. 11 losses in a row from tier II to Tier X. A few games I’ll readily admit I could’ve done more. The vast majority however I led the team in kills (3/4/5), received High Caliber/Confederate awards etc. I am really beginning to believe it’s getting to the point where one person can’t make an impact on how a match turns out.

Two or three other players on your team have to have an inkling of an idea of what they’re doing. Unfortunately I don’t see an upward trend where this is concerned. Part of this is on WG, where a tutorial is not readily available for the average player. Admittedly a lot is expected of players: detection ranges, what ships have radar, knowing what ammo type to use etc. However, part of the blame can be laid at the feet of the player for CHOOSING not to improve, CHOOSING to ignore calm and kind tips like: You need to use AP rockets against broadsides, or Hey Pommern, you should use AP next time on that broadside to do more damage.

At this point in time I’m just exhausted, and I’m on the verge of uninstalling. I love this game; I’ve played it for four years. Honestly it’s probably my fault for wanting to win so bad. Maybe if I could have the same mindset of having fun over the result I would have a better time. I just don’t think I can. So, I implore you: please give me a reason to keep my finger off the uninstall button. I don’t want a game I love to force me to leave because of one bad day, especially when such a result was out of my control.

Tl:dr

Horrible day, horrible teams who don’t want to learn, about to uninstall. Please walk me back off the ledge.

• Cool 3
  • Funny 1
  • Haha 1
  • Boring 1

[NMKJT]
Members
3,291 posts
8,467 battles
6 minutes ago, Usedcarjock said:

I’ve had what I would consider to be my worst day of World of Warships in the past few months. 11 losses in a row from tier II to Tier X. A few games I’ll readily admit I could’ve done more. The vast majority however I led the team in kills (3/4/5), received High Caliber/Confederate awards etc. I am really beginning to believe it’s getting to the point where one person can’t make an impact on how a match turns out. 

Two or three other players on your team have to have an inkling of an idea of what they’re doing. Unfortunately I don’t see an upward trend where this is concerned. Part of this is on WG, where a tutorial is not readily available for the average player. Admittedly a lot is expected of players: detection ranges, what ships have radar, knowing what ammo type to use etc. However, part of the blame can be laid at the feet of the player for CHOOSING not to improve, CHOOSING to ignore calm and kind tips like: You need to use AP rockets against broadsides, or Hey Pommern, you should use AP next time on that broadside to do more damage.

At this point in time I’m just exhausted, and I’m on the verge of uninstalling. I love this game; I’ve played it for four years. Honestly it’s probably my fault for wanting to win so bad. Maybe if I could have the same mindset of having fun over the result I would have a better time. I just don’t think I can. So, I implore you: please give me a reason to keep my finger off the uninstall button. I don’t want a game I love to force me to leave because of one bad day, especially when such a result was out of my control.

Every so often we all get those games where nothing we do will really matter, but sometimes you just get a bad streak of them in a row. When those happen, I leave the game alone for a week or so. But if the underlying issues with the playerbase are getting to you more than the bad streaks themselves, maybe the break needs to be longer.

[WOLFC]
Members
2,717 posts
11,219 battles

Take a break for a couple days. If you still feel this frustrated afterwards, perhaps you should uninstall and take an extended hiatus. If you uninstall now when you are this frustrated, you might find yourself reinstalling tomorrow when you’ve had time to cool off and want to go back to shooting pixel boats.

I had a night like this a few weeks ago. The first night of the recent ranked sprint I went 0-8, saving my nonexistent star in most of the games. I picked ranked back up a couple of days later and ranked out with 2-3 more losses but not losing a star from that point onwards. Sometimes you just need a break.

Edited by Nevermore135

[KWF]
Members
6,361 posts
7,145 battles

Set a limit to how many losses in a row. If I get to something like 5-6 in a row I play something else.

Co-op is your friend. Just the act of plinking a bit mindlessly at ships can cool you down.

Breaks from the game aren't bad. Nobody forces you to slave away at content and the f2p form of the game means you can jump back in easily.

Get Divisions. If game impact is your issue, having 2 more people that know how to play the game is a giant boon.

Lower your expectations. Blowouts have indeed become more common and personally I expect things to deteriorate. It happens with many team based multiplayer games. Just give 100% and learn to be satisfied by that, be it on a loss or a win.

• Cool 1
  • Thanks 1

[-TKS-]
Members
1,296 posts
10,716 battles
1 minute ago, MnemonScarlet said:

Every so often we all get those games where nothing we do will really matter, but sometimes you just get a bad streak of them in a row. When those happen, I leave the game alone for a week or so. But if the underlying issues with the playerbase are getting to you more than the bad streaks themselves, maybe the break needs to be longer.

Maybe. I just wish such a thing didn’t happen during the dockyard event. Maybe I should just not play randoms for a while. I don’t know.

[CO-OP]
Members
3,367 posts
30,026 battles

Take a break.  

Solo Warrior achievements, while rare, are proof that one person in a battle can make a difference.  You can ease the problem of poor teams if you division with 1 or 2 players.

[-TKS-]
Members
1,296 posts
10,716 battles
1 minute ago, warheart1992 said:

Set a limit to how many losses in a row. If I get to something like 5-6 in a row I play something else.

Co-op is your friend. Just the act of plinking a bit mindlessly at ships can cool you down.

Breaks from the game aren't bad. Nobody forces you to slave away at content and the f2p form of the game means you can jump back in easily.

Get Divisions. If game impact is your issue, having 2 more people that know how to play the game is a giant boon.

Lower your expectations. Blowouts have indeed become more common and personally I expect things to deteriorate. It happens with many team based multiplayer games. Just give 100% and learn to be satisfied by that, be it on a loss or a win.

Honestly I’ve been using coop to grind the dockyard events but maybe that’s where I need to stay for now.

[NMKJT]
Members
3,291 posts
8,467 battles
Just now, Usedcarjock said:

Maybe. I just wish such a thing didn’t happen during the dockyard event. Maybe I should just not play randoms for a while. I don’t know.

Sadly dockyard is probably one of the things causing it to spike more. Plus the anniversary containers. Some people see a ship they don't like to play, and for some reason don't think to get the win in coop and get out, they just resentfully play the ship in randoms and hope they get carried to a win.

[-TKS-]
Members
1,296 posts
10,716 battles
1 minute ago, HamptonRoads said:

Take a break.  

Solo Warrior achievements, while rare, are proof that one person in a battle can make a difference.  You can ease the problem of poor teams if you division with 1 or 2 players.

Unfortunate I don’t have people to really play with consistently. That and the clan I’m in is dead.

[-TKS-]
Members
1,296 posts
10,716 battles
Just now, MnemonScarlet said:

Sadly dockyard is probably one of the things causing it to spike more. Plus the anniversary containers. Some people see a ship they don't like to play, and for some reason don't think to get the win in coop and get out, they just resentfully play the ship in randoms and hope they get carried to a win.

True. I could also see the campaign causing problems at low tiers with super unicums filtering into matches against new players. Doesn’t make things any easier to play.

[SVEN]
Beta Testers
239 posts
8,271 battles
2 minutes ago, Usedcarjock said:

Even Unicums lose 30-35% of the time.  A third of the time you are going to win no matter what.  It's a third of the games that are really up for grabs.  Coop and Ops are your friend.  Pressure is off,  just play.  Two good players are often enough to carry most braindead teams in most of the ops.

Banned
120 posts
11,421 battles
18 minutes ago, Usedcarjock said:

I’ll preface this by saying I am a very competitive person. I like to improve myself and I like to win. Losing should be constructive and a way to show how you as a player can improve. As a player personally, I don’t mind losing, but when the team throws hard in the first 5 minutes, I don’t get anything constructive to improve upon. I’m rewarded with salt. Lots of salt. And at this point I’ve more or less have had enough of it.

Tl:dr

Horrible day, horrible teams who don’t want to learn, about to uninstall. Please walk me back off the ledge.

I feel your pain and I've had those days. The only thing I can say that might help is while days like that will happen, other days you might be on teams that actually know what they're doing and win 10 in a row, so hopefully it will all even out for you. 

Hopefully you decide to stick around and hopefully you end up on my team, I need all the help I can get.

[ARGSY]
Members
24,395 posts
18,351 battles
25 minutes ago, Usedcarjock said:

Please walk me back off the ledge.

If you walk, who's going to fill the slots you don't? A 43% mouthbreather.

Don't let them force you out. Hatred is a wonderful motivator in the appropriate circumstances. Let it flow through you and keep you from quitting.

[-TRM-]
[-TRM-]
Members
3,347 posts

I offer you a lesson from History.

American Forces in the Revolution were beaten time and time and time again. However... once in a while they managed a win and it really hurt the British. One winter GW selected Valley Forge as the place to encamp his army and hope for spring. The problem was supply. There was some about 20 to 30 miles but over the terrain in bad winter might as well be on the moon.

When the American Army was facing typhus and a number of other lethal illnesses because of no nutrition, they learned to take the fluids from the sick and use a spike to scoop some and jab it into the healthy troops not yet sick with that particular killer. 2 of every 10 died right away, but the other 8 gained immunity and eventually the lethal typhus and other enemies were overcome. A Battlefield Vaccine out of necessity.

The Army was also taught how to drill then taught how to fight. In those days massed firepower is what counted. In addition to certain tatics used by Americans that are not recognized military tactics such as going from tree to tree or wall to wall picking away at the officers of a body of British Troops trying to get back to Boston by march under such fire all the way. When the Army emerged from Valley Forge they possessed certain skills that are a foundation of what is taught today with some changes.

The British on the other hand stayed in places like NYC. GW kept a eye on the place but ultimately due to about 30,000 dollars in silver from France pledged on a personal wealth against the property held by a French Admiral in the Carib was able to generate the coin needed to pay GWs troops who were then able to face a 500+ mile foot march from NYC and Conn across the Tappan Zee down to the Head of Elk for some then water to Yorktown, while others marched all the way down to Richmond and then Yorktown. That took a while. Once Cornwallis was trapped in Yorktown thats it for him. No help came from NYC until they arrived weeks after the surrender took place.

No matter how bad a player may feel they need to take a break, however short or long from whatever it is that is bothering them in the OP's experience excessive losses. When its obvious that the team of whomever put together for a game map did not possess the desire or courage to meet the enemy fleet in such a way to over come same. For me if I am a BB and under fire from a enemy DD from 6km and unseen while i break the rudder and engines working around a sea of torpedos. And be detected constantly so the rest of the enemy team can farm damage off me until I am sunk. Thrown away, wasted, no good. Tragic.

If I cannot see a enemy either myself or through another teammate there is no point in me showing up with all that iron, it will get sunk proper in a few minutes because no one on my team bothers to spot.

Or my personal favorite. Pick a ship, the smaller the better. Go fight the big stuff coming through in twos, threes and fours straight for you. After you have reduced the big bastard from 100K points all the way to maybe 1500 points another teammate open fire to steal the kill from you after you have done all the work. Thats when I simply turn around and go straight to the end of the map or simply stop and wait to be sunk. There is no point in going further.

Anything is possible in a game. What you don't want to do is take the negative stuff and anger etc from the game into real life and make it seem worse than it is. Take a little vacation and get back into it when you have through everything through. Also I disabled the chat entirely so nothing gets through to me. And more importantly nothing goes out from me which isnt that good anyway. The gaming world has gotten toxic enough to consider the chat a source of bad liabilities. So it's not employed at all.

Edited by xHeavy

[NMKJT]
Members
3,291 posts
8,467 battles
17 minutes ago, Usedcarjock said:

True. I could also see the campaign causing problems at low tiers with super unicums filtering into matches against new players. Doesn’t make things any easier to play.

TBH I'm avoiding low tiers for awhile, till those early campaign stages are completed by more people. I played 3 low tier games a couple days ago, and it was the most unfun experience I've had in several years. It really reminded me of the gaping flaws with low tier ships and how useless they are for anything other than yolo type fun.

And you can't do that when people are trying to play like it's high tiers.

[DEV_X]
[DEV_X]
Alpha Tester
2,866 posts
27,127 battles
27 minutes ago, Usedcarjock said:

Honestly I’ve been using coop to grind the dockyard events but maybe that’s where I need to stay for now.

Co-op and Scenarios can both be fun, especially during loss streaks because it hardly matters if you win or lose. It's just a nice break from randoms when they go to crap. However, you still make progress toward your daily missions, crates, and any other goal. Though it may not be as much, you're still moving forward.

Also, breaks from the game are really great to take. There are so many other enjoyable games to play.

Finally, put in perspective. Sure you lost, but this game isnt some Esport with fans in which you can wins tons of money. This is just a small game that in the grand realm of things means little. Even this games biggest tournaments are player run and not hosted events.

Members
4,129 posts
14,795 battles

I'm usually very competitive as well. You have to realize the stakes are so low in this game. The majority of the playerbase is either casual or bad. Dont ever concern yourself with the sheep, they are very obvious in-game. 

Try to find good players in your timezone or when you regularly play, and div often with them. 

[O2]
Members
502 posts
10,265 battles

Time for a break. I am on one myself for similar reasons going on a month or so except for coop farming super containers the other day. I will return at some point and as you can see am still keeping up via forums... it’s relaxing and allows for reflection!

[SALVO]
Members
8,176 posts
6,059 battles

Reduce the scope of your game to your personal performance. Put the focus on your own actions and playing experience and try to forget about the global outcome. Set for an objective that depends just on you. 

Also, taking pauses from the game is OK, take a couple days off. It will pass.

Members
399 posts
2,037 battles

Hello. 

I also am a competitive player and hate it when a team I am on does not know how to play their ship because they don't study all of it's pluses and it's minus's. Players that don't care give me fits! It is very frustrating that at times I have dropped a few tears because of it. Do you have a good player you can division up with? That helps. And sometimes just switch to co op for awhile of a mission of the week. That helps me when losses are mounting up. I would like to see you keep playing as we need competitive players out there.

If you have no one to division up with, Hey, Send me or My Dad or both of us an invite to play. We would be glad too shoot some stuff with you and act as a team.

Good Luck and Good Shooting!:cap_rambo:

• Cool 1

[REKTD]
Members
638 posts
11,254 battles
2 hours ago, Usedcarjock said:

I think it is happening because of the dockyard event. It has brought out the worst of the worst players, and made decent players play desperation grind mode. Some of the worst play I’ve seen happens in events. I have a hard time playing the game right now, but the reality is that win streaks will return. It’s still a good game, but you have to take breaks and have a max “loss limit” where you do something else.

[WOLF5]
Members
112 posts

Last I looked, there was global pandemic .

People have alot of free time = new players  don't know wth is going on in pixel boat world  but in the long run, new blood is  a good thing.

It will pass.  

The game is hellu fun if you don't take it too seriously.

Grab a frosty beverage  or 3, preferably alcoholic, relax, and have some fun.

Edited by Blackychann