Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
kiwi1960

Food in the Navy!

9 comments in this topic

[WULUF]
[WULUF]
Members
1,457 posts

I've been meaning to post this for ages, only just now getting around to it.

After my first dose of Chemo, I lost all desire to eat... I had to force myself to eat 2 lightly fried eggs on a soggy piece of toast! (doesn't help when my wife used stand over tactics to make eat that, if nothing else!)

It did remind me of the Navy.... tell me I'm wrong...

No matter how long a ship has been at sea, they ALWAYS had eggs.... ALWAYS!

Cooked a million different ways, and many other non egg specific egg dishes... there they were... EGGS!

Since then, I am eating more now, but that stuck in my head... its funny the things you think of when eggs is all you want to eat.

What are YOUR memories if "Ye olde Navy Food" (or, in Kiwi.... "The old Navy Tucker")

Edited by kiwi1960
  • Cool 2

[BB-57]
Members
406 posts
15,666 battles

After we'd been at sea awhile you'd see them pouring eggs out of a milk carton onto the grill. One of the few meals that were consistently good was breakfast. Hard to screw up eggs, bacon, sausage, and toast. (though powdered eggs could be crunchy and chewy) Midrats, for watchstanders after midnight, most of the time was good too for some reason. Even though it consisted mainly of leftovers, wonder why?

[WOLF3]
Members
31,036 posts
26,068 battles

As a Marine, I didn't mind the food while aboard ship.  It's not too fancy, sure, but it beats being in the field eating MREs.  I still remember the MREs earlier in my service that didn't have chemical heaters with them like newer ones did, and we sure as hell didn't get permission to have fires to warm the stuff up.  They didn't want us to turn Camp Pendleton ablaze :Smile_trollface:

On ship we were having long work hours (I worked in the Marine Air Wing as an aircraft maintainer).  Tired all the time.  Hungry?  I just needed something decent and warm to eat.  I appreciated when the cooks went all out for holidays, but I wasn't picky on a regular day.  I'm just freaking hungry and needed to get back to work on the flight deck or whatever so other guys in my shop can get their turn to eat before the galley closed.  Maintenance and the Flight Schedule never stopped.

However... As a Filipino in the US Marine Corps and being aboard a USN ship, I learned about the "Manila Mafia" and wound up getting hooked up in the galley for some reason :Smile_teethhappy:  The old school Filipino Chiefs I ran into would stop and converse with me. They were blown away that a Filipino was in the Marine Corps.  We're pretty rare in the USMC.  In my 20 years in the Corps I saw maybe 6 others.

Made me remember a funny thing:  I think it was on the Stennis.  I went with another guy from my shop to go to lunch at the galley.  My buddy was white.  I was ahead of him.  This young sailor on mess duty serving food was Filipino.  I pointed out what I wanted.  I looked and he stared at me a while trying to figure me out or something.  Then after a while, he gave me these big a** servings of food.  When my white buddy went up, he hardly got sh*t :Smile_Default:  When we sat at the table he was laughing and said to me, "What the f--k was that sh*t?  Look how much you got on your plate and look at mine!" :Smile_teethhappy:

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway
  • Funny 1

[-SD-]
[-SD-]
Members
19 posts
7,557 battles

I was on an civilian oil tanker with European officers and Filipino crew. Food was very good. Each day there was a different menu in the officer's mess and steward took your order. In addition to main courses they had incredible appetizers like scotch eggs, prawns, etc. When out in open sea we could have beer, but it was restricted in port. The crew usually ate more traditional food from where they were from.

[BE-ER]
Beta Testers
137 posts
16,528 battles

When I was in Army basic training, we had chicken so often that we were sure that the Army had some secret chicken farm to ensure a constant supply. Though one day about 3/4 of the way through, we got hot dogs for lunch, and steak for dinner. I think most of us thought world War 3 had broken out and we were about to get shipped off. I also like to say that the Army has successfully lowered my standards to the point I'll eat most anything...

[WPORT]
Members
9,977 posts
14,437 battles

As a Marine, I've been aboard a few amphibious landing ships for periods of time.  Longest voyage was aboard the LST Newport (1179).

Navy food was wholesome and yummy.  For some reason, "bug juice" (also known as generic Kool-Aid) was popular as a beverage.  Coffee was plentiful, too, though I hadn't acquired the taste for it yet.

I remember "mid rats" consisting of baked beans.  The amphibious ships didn't have the same size crews as a battleship or carrier, and I was rarely awake in the middle of the night (unless I was on "fire watch" duty).

Much of what a person can order in an "American Diner" style restaurant was served aboard US Navy vessels, from what I recall.  It was simply a question of weekly menu planning and timing according to available supplies and seasonal items corresponding to calendar holidays.

Museum ships I've visited had menu items on display, and other trivia related to Navy cooking history and recipes designed to feed hundreds of people throughout all the ship' watches.  

It has been a while since I ate aboard an active-service Navy vessel, but I imagine that Navy menu selections have become more varied to accommodate changing demographics of personnel and dietary restrictions, in a manner similar to how MRE's (Meals Ready to Eat) have evolved.

There's probably some articles on the internet about the subject, if one does some searching.

Best wishes to all.

Sign in to follow this