Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
kgh52

Kongo in asymmetric battles

12 comments in this topic

[TDRB]
Members
5,308 posts
13,743 battles

Now I played a total of 2 asymmetric battles using the ARP versions of the Kongo. I chose this ship because it is fast for a T5 BB & it guns are long ranged. Of course the down side is this ship is spotted before it starts to move.

Both of these were wins. Was it just pure luck or is the Kongo & her ARP sisters good in Asymmetric battles?

[RLGN]
Members
16,168 posts
28,066 battles

Haru-Haru (big,) Kongo, Kirishima, Hiei, and IJN Kongo are all functionally the same.

Personally like/use the ARP sisters instead of IJN Kongo because I have them, and because I liked the Arpeggio anime.

[PDCB]
Members
516 posts
9,721 battles

The Kongou is good for asymetric battles, especially her speed and long range guns, very useful when you have to fight from medium to long range, she won't last very long against most of tier 8 BBs in a 1vs1 close combat. Most of tier 5 and 6 BBs are slow dreadnoughts.

[HEROS]
Members
2,086 posts
18,839 battles

Kongo is a good pick for the twin traits of good speed and long range guns.   She'll do the job and has the speed to stay mobile.  One of the most telling points of this battle type is for the low tier team to win they have to move out FAST, get stuck in FAST and they all need to do it at the same time.  That's where the Kongo's speed is so important.  She can pretty much keep up with the Cruisers and the DD's.  Take long range shots as you get them, but first and for most get up into the fight.  The low tier team has only one advantage and that is numbers and you've got to use those number while you have.  Delay, try to be cute, hold back and the team looses every time.  Funny thing is, same thing happens to the high tier team.  You have to get stuck in and cause casualties on the low team ASAP. or the number disadvantage will just get worse.  If you trade one for one you loose.     

I'm running about an 80% WR on these battle types high tier or low and typically do worst in Cruisers  (haven't been on the winning team yet driving a cruiser.. go figure!) .  BB's have the fire power and the armor.  DD's (for me mostly IJN) have torps and concealment and torps could care less what your tier is.

Two of the most famous asymmetric battles in history were won by the smaller side, and were commanded by the same Admiral.  Horatio Nelson.  The Battle of Nile, and The Battle of Trafalgar.  In the first case Nelson went up against a prepared fleet in enclosed waters and went right knife fighting range.  At the Nile some of the British ships were able to get on the back side of the anchored french ships and take them on the inboard side which left the subject to taking fire on both sides of their fleet's ships.   The french chose to "entrench" in shallower waters forcing the brits to close against the massed fire power of the french battle line.  Nelsons tactics negated the french advantage.  Trafalgar was a more mobile battle in open waters and again Nelson tossed conventional rules overboards, divided his force into two groups and punched right through the combined Spanish and french force in very close action where the superb british seamanship and gun handling had the advantage and put the Spanish and french in a position where they were unable to focus their superior wieght of guns and firepower.  Nelson had an uncanny instinct for when to not fight a conventional battle and he had one other massive advantage.   He had captains and crews that would fight, and knew they could win.  And they did.  British control of the ocean was not challenged or exceeded until world war-II and the baton was passed to United States Navy.

Last bit just remember.  You want to win?  You must fight and risk all.  Any thing less then your full effort can and will cost victory.

[WPORT]
Members
9,766 posts
14,296 battles

Kongo's "Burning Love!" is better than Betagne's 20.8 knots of speed.  :-)

I like them both, but Kongo is more suitable for getting to positions on the map quickly and can fire upon targets nearly as well as the Tier-8 ships can.

Bretagne can max-out the secondary battery range slightly more (6.5 km vs 5.8 km),.
But in Asymmetric Battles, you'll be lucky to get within 6 km of a high-tier red ship before being burned to the waterline or sunk by projectiles and torpedoes.

With Kongo's 30 knots of speed, a player can support a DD & Cruiser push by keeping pace with them.

[WPORT]
Members
9,766 posts
14,296 battles
2 minutes ago, TL_Warlord_Roff said:

"...  Last bit just remember.  You want to win?  You must fight and risk all.  Any thing less then your full effort can and will cost victory."

:cap_look::cap_like:

[WOLFC]
Members
2,712 posts
11,219 battles

Kongo has always up-tiered very well due to her speed, range, and health pool. I’ve never felt like I was at a significant disadvantage in a tier VII battle.

[TDRB]
Members
5,308 posts
13,743 battles

Thanks.

Overall I was surprised with this battle mode. It is much better than I expected. Much like a coop, you must be aggressive, but not overly aggressive.

3 hours ago, Estimated_Prophet said:

Haru-Haru (big,) Kongo, Kirishima, Hiei, and IJN Kongo are all functionally the same.

Personally like/use the ARP sisters instead of IJN Kongo because I have them, and because I liked the Arpeggio anime.

My 5 & 7 year-old granddaughters tell me "play the pink ship". They'll watch & ask a million question. I turn off the decorative camos unless they're asking. 

[WIB]
Alpha Tester
3,978 posts
2,472 battles

Doesn't matter what ship you play, the lower tiered team wins 90% of the time especially since the higher tiered team is usually made up almost entirely, if not entirely, of bots though even full human teams aren't hard to beat.

As far as the Kongo in Asymmetric, no she won't be able to beat a Tier 8 BB one on one, but the battles are Asymmetric meaning it isn't one on one.  General it is 3 on 1 and 3 Kongo's will generally put down a single Tier 8 BB.  

As far as Kongo in general, I have always felt she was an underrated ship. She is a bit weak in the armor but will still bounce a significant amount of hits if the player has the skill to angle properly.  She has decent speed and has relatively long range, accurate guns that have enough power and penetration to get the job done against virtually any BB in the game.  In general Kongo is a very solid choice for any Tier 5 level of game play.

[HEROS]
Members
2,086 posts
18,839 battles

One other thing of note with the Kongo, and her next tier high big sister Fuso.    Your secondaries.  You have just as many of them as the higher tier BB's and some times more and they hit very very hard.  In this kind of battle where your going to want to close very quickly anyway consider a secondary focus on  your IJN BB's.  Negate the higher tier secondary range advantage and find your self with the advantage.   And always remember to win, you may need to BE the Torpedo.  If they have 6 ships and you have 8 to 10 and every ship is a successful torpedo, you win what ever ships are left.    A crazy insane tactic that does work and to consider when dealing with two BB's, one ahead and one trailing... shot at the front one, ram the second one.. the fist ones guns will all be point the wrong way when he meets the rest of your team.   Kongo's are especially good a this.  Drop your speed as you pass the first one so you'll turn sooner and tighter if you need to. (and, you do).  A ship gets to be a homing torpedo.   There are ways to YOLO, and ways not to.  Always take someone with you if you can, 2 is better, 3 better still, 4 is phenomenal, and 5. well that's just scary!    My best is 3 kills in one fight with a Shiratsuyu  on the high tier side,  and also 3 with a Kongo... last one was a Ram..and um.. it was an accident.  We both went through the same channel in opposite directions and it just wide wasn't nuff for 2 BB's.   What's to say.  I'll take the win!

Edited by TL_Warlord_Roff

[INTEL]
Members
13,459 posts
38,995 battles

I prefer a tank build on Fuso, if I am close enough to use secondaries, they hit just fine anyway. 

I also run the spotter upgrade so that I can hit CVs at very long ranges and have more time to put shells on them. In the last match I killed both CVs on the Red High Tier Asym team. Hitting the Graf Z at 23 kms forced it to move, which brought it under the fire of other ships. 

• Cool 1

[WPORT]
Members
9,766 posts
14,296 battles
1 hour ago, TL_Warlord_Roff said:

One other thing of note with the Kongo, and her next tier high big sister Fuso.    Your secondaries.  You have just as many of them as the higher tier BB's and some times more and they hit very very hard.  In this kind of battle where your going to want to close very quickly anyway consider a secondary focus on  your IJN BB's.  Negate the higher tier secondary range advantage and find your self with the advantage.   And always remember to win, you may need to BE the Torpedo.  If they have 6 ships and you have 8 to 10 and every ship is a successful torpedo, you win what ever ships are left.    A crazy insane tactic that does work and to consider when dealing with two BB's, one ahead and one trailing... shot at the front one, ram the second one.. the fist ones guns will all be point the wrong way when he meets the rest of your team.   Kongo's are especially good a this.  Drop your speed as you pass the first one so you'll turn sooner and tighter if you need to. (and, you do).  A ship gets to be a homing torpedo.   There are ways to YOLO, and ways not to.  Always take someone with you if you can, 2 is better, 3 better still, 4 is phenomenal, and 5. well that's just scary!    My best is 3 kills in one fight with a Shiratsuyu  on the high tier side,  and also 3 with a Kongo... last one was a Ram..and um.. it was an accident.  We both went through the same channel in opposite directions and it just wide wasn't nuff for 2 BB's.   What's to say.  I'll take the win!

Bismarck's secondaries = more than 10 km.
Tier-5 BB secondaries = max out at 6.5 km.

I suggest people do not loiter in the area where they can be hit and are unable to hit back.

I had a Tier-5 French Cruiser that got shredded by secondary fire, just secondary fire, yesterday. 
I was advancing towards a cap and was the lead ship, closest to the red team.  It was like being in a plane flying in to a stronk AA bubble.
At least a BB can shrug off a portion of secondary fire that hits thicker sections of armor.

As you pointed out earlier, being timid or hesitant is costly for the low-tier team (and can be detrimental to the high-tier team, too).

Sign in to follow this