You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
MaddogGT

FPS DROP 1070GTX and RTX2070

16 comments in this topic

[EXP]
Members
108 posts
10,177 battles

Since last update the issue has gotten worse re FPS drops. Went from 144-148FPS down to 5FPS during a battle and when firing guns. This on a 4GHz system, with a 1070 GTX 8GB video card with 16GB ram. NOT over clocked, default Nvidia settings for card, running at 2560x1080 on a acer predator curved 35" gsync monitor. This was never an issue a few updates ago.  YES, game was re-installed, Windows 10 re-installed, Nvidia drivers updated, you name it, I done it. Name it and I read it. LOTS of people having same issues. It is NOT a CPU issue or a GPU issue as the gPU runs at top speed and so does the GPU during gameplay using MSI Afterburner OSD. When game is loading, GPU is pushing almost 700FPS. In game its capped to 144FPS using the config change that limits FPS.  Let me be clear. This does NOT happen in any other game I have tried - I own over 600 games, over 100 VR games. The GTX 1070 G1 Gaming OC is a fast card. It used to keep 144FPS no matter what in World of Warships even during the most intense battles.

NOW, that was my upstairs gaming PC.  Now for my $6000 Gaming Rig with 49" curved gsync/freesync gaming monitor, Aorus RTX 2070  Extreme 8GB video card, AMD Ryzen 9 3900X CPU, and 32GB Ram, with tempered glass case, liquid cooled, and Aorus gaming MB, M.2 drive, and SDD drives. It laughs at all benchmarks, gets UFO status on user benches, and laughs at Cinebench and draws that picture in less than 30 seconds if not less. NOT overclocked by any means, has ample power with platinum certified 1000w clean PSU, and crazy FPS in most games. Enter Warships. If you ever wanted to see a GPU go from 200 plus FPS down to about 10FPS when there is a battle, then this is it. Something is wrong with the client big time with nvidia cards. Its either the drivers, directX, windows 10 update, or Wargaming client and warships game.  Most games I have on extreme or ultra settings as computer just laughs at them and has almost 0 effect on FPS. BUT, even setting the graphics to LOW in World of warships, and reducing the display to even a paltry 1920x1080 square in the middle of the monitor for testing purposes, the game cannot keep even a 100FPS and drops down to 25-30 when guns fire. Game loading, FPS goes into the thousands. Graphic performance, the CPU where it has 12 cores/24 threads, and running to its max 4300Mhz turbo, cpu barely uses 5% cpu power while gaming, and GPU while running top speed, not being taxed much either, but something is making the FPS drop when stuff is drawn on screen.

I can fully understand IF this was on one system or something with an old 660 video card or something (of which I have one, and it doesnt drop FPS - actually the GTX600 runs the game no issues without FPS drops of any kind) Go figure.

So WHAT is causing it? I changed gaming mode, stoped services, disabled HPET, enabled HPET, changed windows timer resolution down to 0.5ms (which gives a hell of a boost in many programs), disabled Gaming DVR, xbox stuff, you name it. Clean installed, driver versions, driver clean, audio changes, updated system drivers, updated Windows 10, you name it. I am at a loss, so I turn to Wargaming for an answer.

My connection is a 1.5Gbit Fiber. I run CAT8 in the house from the Fibe modem/router, speeds are as fast as the computer Nic can handle both ways 950Mbits/s up and down. latency to server which is over 3500km away from me is 33ms ping... nothing is interfering with network activity either. With this connection I can download my entire steam gaming library, watch a movie, have 14 devices running, two TVs on netflix, and my network will still be 30-35ms while gaming...

Tests and benches all say everything is running as it should be. So what the hell is causing high end cards to drop FPS with this game? World of Tanks does not have this issue. Seems to only be World of Warships at this time.

Any comments and ideas are welcome. This is driving me batty. I mean windows 10 loads like a on/off switch on both of these systems as both are gaming systems. one from 2016, and the other 2019. The later runs anything in HTC Vive VR with no slowdowns, constant FPS no matter what. So it has to be World of Warships.

[WORX]
Members
13,307 posts
20,159 battles
17 minutes ago, MaddogGT said:

Since last update the issue has gotten worse re FPS drops. Went from 144-148FPS down to 5FPS during a battle and when firing guns. This on a 4GHz system, with a 1070 GTX 8GB video card with 16GB ram. NOT over clocked, default Nvidia settings for card, running at 2560x1080 on a acer predator curved 35" gsync monitor. This was never an issue a few updates ago.  YES, game was re-installed, Windows 10 re-installed, Nvidia drivers updated, you name it, I done it. Name it and I read it. LOTS of people having same issues. It is NOT a CPU issue or a GPU issue as the gPU runs at top speed and so does the GPU during gameplay using MSI Afterburner OSD. When game is loading, GPU is pushing almost 700FPS. In game its capped to 144FPS using the config change that limits FPS.  Let me be clear. This does NOT happen in any other game I have tried - I own over 600 games, over 100 VR games. The GTX 1070 G1 Gaming OC is a fast card. It used to keep 144FPS no matter what in World of Warships even during the most intense battles.

NOW, that was my upstairs gaming PC.  Now for my $6000 Gaming Rig with 49" curved gsync/freesync gaming monitor, Aorus RTX 2070  Extreme 8GB video card, AMD Ryzen 9 3900X CPU, and 32GB Ram, with tempered glass case, liquid cooled, and Aorus gaming MB, M.2 drive, and SDD drives. It laughs at all benchmarks, gets UFO status on user benches, and laughs at Cinebench and draws that picture in less than 30 seconds if not less. NOT overclocked by any means, has ample power with platinum certified 1000w clean PSU, and crazy FPS in most games. Enter Warships. If you ever wanted to see a GPU go from 200 plus FPS down to about 10FPS when there is a battle, then this is it. Something is wrong with the client big time with nvidia cards. Its either the drivers, directX, windows 10 update, or Wargaming client and warships game.  Most games I have on extreme or ultra settings as computer just laughs at them and has almost 0 effect on FPS. BUT, even setting the graphics to LOW in World of warships, and reducing the display to even a paltry 1920x1080 square in the middle of the monitor for testing purposes, the game cannot keep even a 100FPS and drops down to 25-30 when guns fire. Game loading, FPS goes into the thousands. Graphic performance, the CPU where it has 12 cores/24 threads, and running to its max 4300Mhz turbo, cpu barely uses 5% cpu power while gaming, and GPU while running top speed, not being taxed much either, but something is making the FPS drop when stuff is drawn on screen.

I can fully understand IF this was on one system or something with an old 660 video card or something (of which I have one, and it doesnt drop FPS - actually the GTX600 runs the game no issues without FPS drops of any kind) Go figure.

So WHAT is causing it? I changed gaming mode, stoped services, disabled HPET, enabled HPET, changed windows timer resolution down to 0.5ms (which gives a hell of a boost in many programs), disabled Gaming DVR, xbox stuff, you name it. Clean installed, driver versions, driver clean, audio changes, updated system drivers, updated Windows 10, you name it. I am at a loss, so I turn to Wargaming for an answer.

My connection is a 1.5Gbit Fiber. I run CAT8 in the house from the Fibe modem/router, speeds are as fast as the computer Nic can handle both ways 950Mbits/s up and down. latency to server which is over 3500km away from me is 33ms ping... nothing is interfering with network activity either. With this connection I can download my entire steam gaming library, watch a movie, have 14 devices running, two TVs on netflix, and my network will still be 30-35ms while gaming...

Tests and benches all say everything is running as it should be. So what the hell is causing high end cards to drop FPS with this game? World of Tanks does not have this issue. Seems to only be World of Warships at this time.

Any comments and ideas are welcome. This is driving me batty. I mean windows 10 loads like a on/off switch on both of these systems as both are gaming systems. one from 2016, and the other 2019. The later runs anything in HTC Vive VR with no slowdowns, constant FPS no matter what. So it has to be World of Warships.

Did you change the FPS frame rate from the file located in the WOWS root DIR ?

Edited by Navalpride33

[EXP]
Members
108 posts
10,177 battles
56 minutes ago, Navalpride33 said:

Did you change the FPS frame rate from the file located in the WOWS root DIR ?

Yup. Even changed it  to 0 <maxFrameRate>0</maxFrameRate> which gives it unlimited....Trust me, tried everything. Im thinking its something to do with the graphics engine and nvidia drivers... only occured last few updates. Before that everything was fine with the game. 

[WORX]
Members
13,307 posts
20,159 battles
7 minutes ago, MaddogGT said:

Yup. Even changed it  to 0 <maxFrameRate>0</maxFrameRate> which gives it unlimited....Trust me, tried everything. Im thinking its something to do with the graphics engine and nvidia drivers... only occured last few updates. Before that everything was fine with the game. 

Did you check with Nvidia to see if there was a problem with their card ??? Their CS, as long as you know a little bit of some technical aspect of the trouble shooting process.

They might be in a better position to help.  In-tum,  Make sure you have sensor data/tools and any other analytics to help them out... IF you dont have it, maybe they can help with web site or program to DL to help.

If you're seeing its Nvidia problem with WOWS (which wouldn't surprise me at all)... Contact them and see if they can help you investigate the issue.

Edited by Navalpride33

[VRR]
[VRR]
Members
1,335 posts

My. 500 dollar rig runs the game at a comfy 80-90 fps at 1080 p ...:cap_haloween:

So I hope you get a resolution cause that's alot of styling to be profiling not get any game on.

Now albeit I have to say the UI interface sucks bonkers cause it runs cards to almost max ..no matter what they are.

Thanks WeeGeee....

[EXP]
Members
108 posts
10,177 battles

No mods. I thought that was an issue, but no. 

Game loading....

image.png.e4dacba0f5e9d9898cbb602ba21c86d4.png

Game starting. Now thats at Maximum res, 3840x1080, but 122FPS is LOW and it goes lower from there.

image.png.e91253223a54bf2ad2406838800c6392.png

Card and cpu dont throttle down as temps stay around the displayed. Im at a loss on whats causing the graphics to drop. 

Not like it in any other game I can find. No massive drops or lag. Only in Warships I can tell. I mean a salvo of shots should bring the game to a crawl. Never has before.

[EXP]
Members
108 posts
10,177 battles

Temp Fix. From developers. Keep FPS limit at 75FPS and play again. It will smooth out and wont drop as much. Tried it and true.

That all said, there is an issue re explosions in the game that does cause FPS drops and is being worked on by the developers.

Also, if you set your video card power performance in Nvidia control panel to Adaptive and not Max or Optimal seems to help. FPS now stays put.

Back playing with all mods and FPS increase.

98999827_WorldofWarshipsScreenshot2020_09.07-23_22_50_43.thumb.png.df5fb112ce10d8a76d761d6df4e62e63.png

Edited by MaddogGT
  • Cool 1

[TSW]
Members
10 posts
7,084 battles

Hey, first post for me.  I am having the same problem with a similar setup.  GTX 1070, usually can run 165 fps to match my monitor.  Last couple weeks I'm getting drops in framerate down to 35 FPS or less.

Tried leaving FPS limit at stock config limit of 75, no dice.  Also just tried Adaptive setting in Nvidia control panel, no additional luck.

Problem seems to be worst in bad weather and/or with a lot of planes and AA flak.  Or now that I think of it even when there's a BB with heavy secondary fire.

Any other suggestions or a fix on the way?

[WORX]
Members
13,307 posts
20,159 battles
14 minutes ago, IIGnomeII said:

Hey, first post for me.  I am having the same problem with a similar setup.  GTX 1070, usually can run 165 fps to match my monitor.  Last couple weeks I'm getting drops in framerate down to 35 FPS or less.

Tried leaving FPS limit at stock config limit of 75, no dice.  Also just tried Adaptive setting in Nvidia control panel, no additional luck.

Problem seems to be worst in bad weather and/or with a lot of planes and AA flak.  Or now that I think of it even when there's a BB with heavy secondary fire.

Any other suggestions or a fix on the way?

Here is a guide to the graphics settings...

look over it and see what needs to be changed... Keep in mind, WG is bent on "improving" wows in every patch... What this means for you, possible decrease performance.

Check it out.

[WOLF5]
Members
83 posts
10,104 battles

I think this patch they have done something wrong

Because I used to get flat fps

Now I get a big drop when ships get spotted

Members
38 posts
14,024 battles

I still think those side-panel mods have a LOT to do with it...even in the latest Aslain update, he mentions this:

- added Side Panels by Hakabase [for now... until it stops working, be aware of potential fps problems]

Like I said also, removing the side-panel mod (all of them seem to cause FPS problems at this point), greatly helped my FPS issues on my 1080-Ti

[TSW]
Members
10 posts
7,084 battles
On 9/8/2020 at 10:17 PM, Navalpride33 said:

Here is a guide to the graphics settings...

look over it and see what needs to be changed... Keep in mind, WG is bent on "improving" wows in every patch... What this means for you, possible decrease performance.

Thanks @Navalpride33.  Turning off "Animate small objects" seemed to do the trick.

I still hope the devs will evaluate for a possible bug or optimization.  My system is a few years old (i7-4770, GTX 1070), but it doesn't seem right that it would suddenly be brought to it's knees when it can usually run WOWS at full settings/top speed.

Members
7 posts
13,136 battles

Hi all, i've been having the same experience as you all with my fps dropping, and it seems worse on some maps than others.  As a frame of reference my system is an i9900 and RTX 2080.  I've managed to run the game at max settings at 3440x1440 120 fps on GSync monitor, until the last two updates. I've tried different things, but right now what SEEMS to have helped me is forcing the Vertical sync setting in the Nvida Control Panel to "Fast" as opposed to on/off/use app setting.  I have GSync on, Vertical Sync off in game.

I'm still testing it to make sure its just not confirmation bias, but maybe some of you can try it and report back.  Hope they fix/optimize whatever improvements they added since 9.6!

Screenshot 2020-09-10 115000.png

[1CVDV]
Members
35 posts
5,351 battles

I went through all of this myself.
Did every test and diagnostic WG asked of me.
Removed Aslain like WG asked me to do.
Set all Graphics settings to the lowest levels as WG asked me to do.
Monitored core temps and CPE usage like WG asked mt to do.
Ran reports before and after all changes and sent all info to WG just like that asked me to do.
Created a video of god awful gameplay and posted to YouTube for their review not once but three times just like WG asked me to do.
Ran several malware apps including Malwarebytes which actually LOADED malware to my computer just like WG asked me to do.
Updated my graphics driver just like WG asked me to do.
When I said enough and refused to do a clean install of Windows and wipe out everything, I sent them the link to WG's forum to show them that this is happening to other players using different operating systems, different graphics cards, and different brands of computers.
It is a WarGaming issue and the problem does not exist in any way on my computer outside of WoWS.
They admitted that it was a problem but since it was "Not widespread" they closed my ticket.
They made it clear that I would receive no refunds, no in-game credit of any kind, and no Premium account time to compensate me for the time I lost until this mess is fixed.
I have not been able to play for a month and a half now and they do not care.
The time and money I have spent on this game mean nothing at all to them but they did send me an email reminding me that my Premium account was going to expire and expected me to cough up more cash.
THAT is what they care about.

[TSF]
Members
537 posts
14,889 battles
Not sure if this is related, but I read an article about using a frame rate cap feature in the Nvidia Control panel, under 3D settings, to cap frame rates for Warships at 60 fps. The article indicated that removing the framerate cap mod in Aslains and using the one in Nvidia Control panel would result in much lower CPU cooling fan speeds while playing WoWs.
I changed the frame rate cap in Nvidia Control panel to 60 fps, and removed the frame rate Aslains mod from my Aslains modpack installation. It did significantly decrease my fan rate.