Jump to content
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Alspecto

Game won't launch with mods

8 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

2
[SWARB]
Members
12 posts

After the last update, I am no longer able to successfully run the game with any mods installed. Starting the game with mods results in a critical error dialog box during or after the authorization step. Game and mod station are at latest release and I am able to launch the game through mod station and play as long as I don't have any mods installed. Once I install one, the game will fail as stated above. So far, I have removed mod station and the client and reinstalled both with and without manually wiping the directories. I've used WGcheck which pointed me to the res_mods directory and it appears that as long as that directory is empty, there is no problem.

Normally, I would just remove the mods, but I'm stuck running the game on my laptop since my gaming system was destroyed in a storm. The game is playable using the mods to eliminate the fancy water effects, shell splashes and using compressed textures, but otherwise it turns into a slide show (everything is already at the lowest possible setting). Has anyone else experienced this or have any ideas?

2020-09-03.png

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4,454
[PVE]
Members
11,069 posts
19,170 battles
43 minutes ago, Alspecto said:

After the last update, I am no longer able to successfully run the game with any mods installed. Starting the game with mods results in a critical error dialog box during or after the authorization step. Game and mod station are at latest release and I am able to launch the game through mod station and play as long as I don't have any mods installed. Once I install one, the game will fail as stated above. So far, I have removed mod station and the client and reinstalled both with and without manually wiping the directories. I've used WGcheck which pointed me to the res_mods directory and it appears that as long as that directory is empty, there is no problem.

Normally, I would just remove the mods, but I'm stuck running the game on my laptop since my gaming system was destroyed in a storm. The game is playable using the mods to eliminate the fancy water effects, shell splashes and using compressed textures, but otherwise it turns into a slide show (everything is already at the lowest possible setting). Has anyone else experienced this or have any ideas?

2020-09-03.png

Generally it's just one mod that's spoiling it and trial and error is the only way to figure out which one it is. Turn half of them off and restart, if the game works it was in the other half, turn off half of those and whittle it down if you understand the process I am describing you should know which one it is within about 15 minutes. Keep an eye on the mods section of the forum it might help, and report which mod it was there if you do figure it out. Trial and error is the only way if it's not already in the mods section, which mod is the culprit.

Get an SSD drive for your laptop if you don't already have one and remember RAM stands for "Really, Add More."

Edited by Sovereigndawg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2
[SWARB]
Members
12 posts
1 hour ago, Sovereigndawg said:

Generally it's just one mod that's spoiling it and trial and error is the only way to figure out which one it is. Turn half of them off and restart, if the game works it was in the other half, turn off half of those and whittle it down if you understand the process I am describing you should know which one it is within about 15 minutes. Keep an eye on the mods section of the forum it might help, and report which mod it was there if you do figure it out. Trial and error is the only way if it's not already in the mods section, which mod is the culprit.

Get an SSD drive for your laptop if you don't already have one and remember RAM stands for "Really, Add More."

Running decent specs on the laptop, i7 4.5Ghz, 16GB Ram, SSD, and 2GB nvidia graphics. Currently running the "Ultimate Performance" power profile. Working on narrowing the mods down to which one, so far no luck

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,077
[WOLF5]
Supertester
5,087 posts
4,341 battles
1 hour ago, Alspecto said:

Running decent specs on the laptop, i7 4.5Ghz, 16GB Ram, SSD, and 2GB nvidia graphics. Currently running the "Ultimate Performance" power profile. Working on narrowing the mods down to which one, so far no luck

I'm confused, you said you need mods to remove the graphics effects even more than minimum settings to run the game, yet you have a very capable laptop? I run on a less capable machine with nearly maxed graphics and get 50-60 FPS. If you have to dial down to minimum with that hardware there's an issue somewhere.

With mods, yeah guess and check. I run the modstation and have had zero issues this patch, so sounds either you have a wonky install for some reason or one of the mods is causing an issue.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
3,438 posts
7,030 battles

Just cut to the chase and uninstall and reinstall.  Uninstall all MODS - ALL of them - Something has changed during the updates which has had unintended consequences for some PC and Laptops which were running fine before.  ---that is till now. 

Did that with my desktop and its fixed now. The Alienware Laptop is next as it does play replays but no keys work..- other than ctrl/alt/del. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4,454
[PVE]
Members
11,069 posts
19,170 battles
6 hours ago, Alspecto said:

Running decent specs on the laptop, i7 4.5Ghz, 16GB Ram, SSD, and 2GB nvidia graphics. Currently running the "Ultimate Performance" power profile. Working on narrowing the mods down to which one, so far no luck

You got your task bar full? Turn off your antivirus when running the game. I don't even have anti virus installed on my computer except for windows defender. Hit CTRL ALT DEL and see what all is running on your comp at start up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2
[SWARB]
Members
12 posts

Sorry for the delayed response...

I was able to narrow the mod issue down to the compressed textures so I eliminated that one. Using some of the others to limit flashy stuff has helped, until I get in closer, especially within secondaries range, at which point it becomes a stuttering mess. I'm working on eliminating other outside programs running in the background because it definitely does not make sense to run so poorly with these specs. The only programs I have open are discord, steam, and the game. Anything else would be a service that I am not intentionally launching.

Thanks for the suggestions!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2
[SWARB]
Members
12 posts

I am now able to play without the stutters that were killing performance on my laptop. It was Discord. Not being someone who uses Discord except for my clan, I was not aware of the setting that caused the issue. Hope this helps someone having similar issues to mine...

In the settings, under the Appearances menu, there is an option (set by default), to enable Hardware Acceleration. This allows Discord to run on your graphics card to increase performance in the app. Disabling this offloaded that from my video card and freed it up to only handle game related tasks and completely eliminated the stuttering and unplayable performance.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×