You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Titus_Pullo_13

Strategy Question for DD Players

14 comments in this topic

Members
161 posts
6,581 battles

I've seen this happen too many times:

Three Cap Map.

I spawn closest to A or C and make my way towards the Cap perhaps to capture but mostly spot and look for targets. One or two Cruisers follow me. 
The enemy is stronger at the Cap and I go into defense mode. Often times, the enemy is kept back, afraid of advancing because of the torps. 

The rest of the game is spent keeping the Red Team in my area from advancing. I feel it's productive for the team because I am tying up enemy resources and landing a torpedo or two. Overall, it's not fun because I'm driving in circles and my score could be higher.  And sometimes aggressive, good players coordinate and hunt me down. 

Am I doing the right thing by keeping 2-4 ships tied up or should I just retreat to where my team is stronger? 

I play Japanese DD's Tier VI - VIII and European Tier V

Thanks

• Cool 1

SuperTest Coordinator, Beta Testers
7,031 posts
13,140 battles

Torpedo-based destroyers should prioritize zoning and tying up enemy ships until other fights resolve in the larger scale. Focus less on kills and more on area denial. If you can get a guaranteed kill from safety, do it. Do not die for a tactical kill. A strategic kill has much more impact on the long term because other ships will be afraid of an undetected DD picking off one of their ships that has already done so.

Also, force ships to slow down or turn away from other fights.

If necessary, pull enemy ships away towards the corners of the map to buy additional time.

[PVE]
Members
11,076 posts
19,204 battles

It's not always fun to be a team player, it is good to hold a flank, but it's not always glorious battle. The Klingon in me says, advance and die with honor, The Kirk and Picard in me says hold the flank for the fleet.

[PQUOD]
[PQUOD]
Members
5,078 posts
19,467 battles
16 minutes ago, Sovereigndawg said:

It's not always fun to be a team player,

I seen a meme in Reddit someone had made of being a DD team player. It was a cat with a pistol ready to shoot but holding fire. It had tears in its eyes because he was the only one spotting and didn’t want to give his teams spotting advantage up. He was being a team player and foregoing reaping the fruits of victory so his team mates could take them all.

Edited by Capt_Ahab1776

[GOB]
Members
2,736 posts

Being a great team player sometimes has little rewards.

Just an hour ago I got the biggest ever.

Died near end game with less than 20k damage.

Red team player said good job! You drew 4 ships south and kept them out of the game.

That's worth 1M XP to me.

Even when some teammates don't appreciate it.

• Cool 4

[PRVTR]
Members
1,141 posts
6,365 battles

If you have to, keep as many ships occupied as you can until backup arrives, especially in a torpedo destroyer.

Keeping 3 or 4 ships distracted and out of a fight is just as important as sinking 1 or 2 ships. Why? It's because you're effectively rendering them useless by making them focus on you instead of your team-mates.

It's not much, but it's honest work, and it can rack up a MASSIVE amount of spotting damage if you get lucky and your teammates pay attention

-Shrayes

[WOLF2]
Members
311 posts
7,379 battles

Absolutely it's good strategy. The one thing you never want to allow is WoWs is the enemy to flank your team -  it's one of the basic and key aspects of winning in WoWs. Hold them off and prevent their advance until the greater portion of your team is able to wrap around and create crossfire and hopefully, overall map control. It isn't always the most luxurious job being that DD on the weak flank, but occasionally you'll have those games where you alone manage to hold off 4-5 enemy ships just through smart positioning -- those games I feel like damned border collie corralling sheep and it's disgustingly enjoyable! 

[RLGN]
Members
16,220 posts
28,096 battles
36 minutes ago, Sovereigndawg said:

It's not always fun to be a team player, it is good to hold a flank, but it's not always glorious battle. The Klingon in me says, advance and die with honor, The Kirk and Picard in me says hold the flank for the fleet.

Kirk would say trick the bastards somehow, then bash them across the back of the head with a brick when they’re distracted.

Picard would say ‘Can we discuss this?’ while the entire crew and ship are being turned into Borg.

[META_]
Members
2,282 posts
7,823 battles
14 minutes ago, Col_Nasty said:

Being a great team player sometimes has little rewards.

Just an hour ago I got the biggest ever.

Died near end game with less than 20k damage.

Red team player said good job! You drew 4 ships south and kept them out of the game.

That's worth 1M XP to me.

Even when some teammates don't appreciate it.

similar game early this week, in Le Fantasque... 5 reds shooting at me, under 2k HP remaining, time to move south Flank speed (50+ kts).

Green team: "COWARD, stopping running and get in the fight." "you don't have to run away, just dodge." "you didn't have to run that far." "another (edited) DD player."

Red team: "show yourself!" (seriously, they were already down a ship and 2 caps when this started, not end game)

me: kept dropping torps, and pulled two of them deep. when they (finally) turned back to B, caught up (50+ kts) and torped them some more.

lost karma, reported (or at least 2 greens said they would), we won slaughter loss (shocker), both on points and by ship count, i was second on XP...

all i can say is i'm glad i wasn't playing CV, the salt would have been dehydrating. some of the comments and call to uninstall got me laughing, even though i was sort of busy in battle.

Members
7,122 posts
22,678 battles
1 hour ago, Titus_Pullo_13 said:

Three Cap Map.

I spawn closest to A or C and make my way towards the Cap perhaps to capture but mostly spot and look for targets. One or two Cruisers follow me. 
The enemy is stronger at the Cap and I go into defense mode. Often times, the enemy is kept back, afraid of advancing because of the torps. 

The rest of the game is spent keeping the Red Team in my area from advancing. I feel it's productive for the team because I am tying up enemy resources and landing a torpedo or two. Overall, it's not fun because I'm driving in circles and my score could be higher.  And sometimes aggressive, good players coordinate and hunt me down. 

Am I doing the right thing by keeping 2-4 ships tied up or should I just retreat to where my team is stronger? 

Thanks

60% of the time your backup wont respond of realize what you are doing and leave you hanging. 25% of the time you have good teammates and will work well with you. The remaining 45% of the time you will have afk's, or cruisers popping radar from 22km out.

Are the ships in your zone moving? Do they have camo and flags? Are they responding in chat? If you have two out of those three, chances are you will get some help in one form or another. If none of those conditions exist, bail or play for yourself.

[SALVO]
Members
3,507 posts
7,395 battles
1 hour ago, Titus_Pullo_13 said:

Three Cap Map.

Thanks

Especially in a torpedo DD you are doing the exact right thing.  There is absolutely nothing to be gained by going to a cap or flank where you team is already stronger / has the upper hand on the enemy.  A retreating / delaying action is very strong strategically and where torpedo boats excell.

• Thanks 1

[PQUOD]
[PQUOD]
Members
5,078 posts
19,467 battles
1 hour ago, Estimated_Prophet said:

Kirk would say trick the bastards somehow,

When Spock asked Kirk about beating the Kobiashi Maru non winnable scenario.

Kirk “I changed the parameters”

Spock “You cheated”

Kirk “ I don’t believe in unwinnable situations” “I don’t like to lose”

[RKLES]
[RKLES]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
6,698 posts
23,796 battles
2 hours ago, Titus_Pullo_13 said:

Three Cap Map.

Thanks

If your support isn't chipping down the enemy,  flex to another area.

• Cool 1

[A-I-M]
Members
4,084 posts
15,213 battles
1 hour ago, Joyous_Vibes said:

60% of the time your backup wont respond of realize what you are doing and leave you hanging. 25% of the time you have good teammates and will work well with you. The remaining 45% of the time you will have afk's, or cruisers popping radar from 22km out.

There’s your problem “Bad teammates” 105% of the time, so 105% of the 130% of all the battles, you’re hosed.