Boomer625

DD vs DD combact

14 comments in this topic

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester
28,330 posts
14,923 battles

I am not much of a DD driver but here are my thoughts.

For fast firing guns it probably doesn't matter as the damage will stack up quickly either way, go with both and see which works better. For slower firing DD's like most IJN AP would have the advantage of more damage per shot as long as you are not over penetrating.

[FOXEH]
Banned
14,364 posts
20,838 battles

HE, unless it's Khab, then AP.

• Cool 1

Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
151 posts
4,371 battles
48 minutes ago, Boomer625 said:

Use AP better? Or HE for module damage?

Almost always HE. AP is simply too unreliable with overpens/ricochets. The situations you'll want to use AP are, as mentioned, against Khaba or if you're playing a German DD which has weak HE but excessively strong AP. RN DDs can use AP in a gunfight as well, but I've seen arguments made that even with RN AP angles you're better off just sticking to HE.  As for IJN DDs like Shimakaze, you almost never want to fire AP. IJN 127s have super-charged HE that does 2150 damage per shell with the AP only doing 2200. There's almost no DD v DD situation in which you'd want to use AP (outside of again, maybe broadside Khaba which can shatter your HE) since it will do significantly less damage than HE unless the circumstances are PERFECT.

• Cool 1

[META_]
Members
1,829 posts
18,967 battles

Lower tier not even close HE.......higher tier depends on your dd and he/ap potential damage per shell then also angle....so simple answer HE.....if you're not a dd expert its gonna be best to stick to he vs them anyway,the angles can get tricky..my Youtube channel Meta_Man2002 goes over alot of destroyer guides,reviews and strategy..check it out and subscribe if you find them useful..have a great day..

Edited by Meta_Man

[PISD]
Members
1,921 posts
6,328 battles

Rule of thumbs:

German DD: Ap in broadside/ slightly angled if possible. The fuse tend to make it overpen, but the dpm is much higher with AP than HE.

British DD: HE in general, but at tier 9-10 AP becomes your bread and butter thanks to the great pen angle.

IJN 100mm: HE in general, but switch to AP on broadside to melt DD.

IJN 125mm: HE all the time. The reload is too long to reliably get broadside with those guns, and the HE is great.

The rest: perfect broadside I would use AP, otherwise HE.

• Cool 1

Members
4,678 posts
45,486 battles

I use HE with IJN to disable or destroy modules like tubes, cripple engines. AP is if target is caught wide. 

For max effect on slow firing IJN DDs with 127s, I add IFHE. Since I will likely not cause fires at that fire rate, you can melt a DD whether broadside or head on without switching ammo. 100mms fire too fast and don't need IFHE. 

Of the two types of guns, 100mms can damage at closer ranges secbats on BBs and cruisers with AP.

You can use AP on secbats with 127s also, but you have to be close. With HE, you can get secbats from range and behind cover, preferably behind a smoke bank. This smoke bank is different from sitting in smoke. You lay it down as wide an arc as possible like an inverted U.

This gives you a 180 degree firing Arc with some stealth so long as no planes are present. With planes, you hide in the smoke and turn AA off, wait for support to rid the area of planes, then resume attacks.

Stealth is key to a DD. With new concealment, it becomes very important. Use your guns wisely and know when to cease fire and break off. This works well if you are stalking a fleet.

[FOXEH]
Banned
14,364 posts
20,838 battles
1 hour ago, eagle_lance said:

99.9% of the time use HE

This^.

You might see a "perfect" broadside once a game. Might. Maybe. If the moon is full and RNGeezus loves you.

So when you do, and you have HE loaded .....

First, you have to switch over to AP, which takes at least one salvo and maybe two. 

Then, when you get that good damage salvo, your opponent is going to veer off just as fast as whatever he's driving can turn.

And there goes your "perfect" broadside, so you have to switch back to HE, which takes another salvo or two.

So in reality, you're trading two to four "meh" salvos to get one great one.

I prefer to just stick with HE (against DDs; cruisers are a whole different story!) and be satisfied with good salvos every time.

And FYI, what everyone says about German HE is true; it is definitely low grade. However, German 128s are accurate guns so you're hitting what you're aiming at a lot. 

Because of that I usually stick with the HE even in German DDs.

Unless it's a Khab; then you break out the AP and start sacrificing Kentucky Fried's finest to RNGeezus while you pray for luck.

Enjoy your DDs; they're the hardest ships in the game to master but also the most rewarding.

[FML]
Members
4,167 posts
16,146 battles
8 hours ago, Boomer625 said:

Use AP better? Or HE for module damage?

Hi, welcome to WOWS and the forums.

As a general rule, always shoot DDs with HE. Exceptions: 

• If you have AP loaded in which case just fire what you have at them (this is particularly the case for slow-loading battleships); 
  • If you are in certain German DDs with large calibre 150mm guns, and your target is plumb broadside, then fling some AP into the machine spaces of the enemy ship for large damage. 
  • If you are in certain high tier UK DDs, their rapid-firing AP can really hurt an enemy DD if you have a flat broadside, else not.  

As such, you should should be firing HE most of the time.  Particularly if you have small calibre guns like in another DD. 

You may be interested in some links in the spoiler below to help get you started.  Good luck! :)

Spoiler
  • How to set up your game client to get the information you need to win: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VSCb96CLCs4
  • (For brand New Players - a full comprehensive guide) iChase's How to get good at World of Warships - I wish this was around when I started!
  • (For New Players) - Wargaming's 'How It Works' series that explains the game's mechanics - important to learn these as it differs to real life.
  • (For New Players looking to become Intermediate) my Ship Role Quick Reference Guide to understand how to get the best out of your ship every battle and how to deal with enemy ships of the same type. 
  • (For Intermediate players) LittleWhiteMouse's guide to How to take control of your win rate:  https://forum.worldofwarships.com/topic/75077-how-to-control-your-win-rate/
  • For players at any level who are interested in personalised feedback on a particular battle, get in touch with Lord_Zath and his replay centre - its an amazing service that you should take advantage of.  
  • You are under absolutely no obligation to spend money on this game - it is entirely free to play including at high tiers. 
    • Understanding the economics of WoWS and tips for playing as free-to-play: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aDgwH2w-k7U
    • Still, if you are interested in buying a premium ship, a discussion on what premium ships are good value for newer players can be found on my New Player Guide Premium Ships for New Players.
      • The second post in this thread has some good advice on how to rapidly become a better player through teamwork and positioning - see Section 3 - its worth a read!

[TIMT]
Members
1,735 posts
5,620 battles

One thing that has not been mentioned enough yet is how different the AP in Destroyers is from Nation to Nation, and going up/down the tiers:

• The higher your gun caliber, the higher the fuse arming threshold, meaning guns above 120mm caliber will have an arming threshold of 21mm. This in turn means your target must have 21mm or more armor which most DDs do NOT have (more like 19mm or 20mm, Gearing/ Khaba have 21mm/50mm). Most DD AP is therefore bad against other DDs because it probably wont arm.
  • The DDs often engage while maneuvering, so auto-bounce is an issue unless you have improved angles like Jutland or Daring.

Together with the switching issue costing you reloads in the knife fight I would strongly agree with using always HE, unless you specifically know what you are doing. I don't know all the DD armor layouts, but I would assume unless you are fighting Khaba, don't use AP at all. If you are in a T9/T10 UK or a IJN 100mm DD you might think about using it. I have not played german DDs, though judging from the arming threshold and the large caliber I'd assume you will mostly get overpens with AP from them.

0 posts

I use HE all the time unless I'm in Daring or Jutland or, in the rare occasion I'm in Khab and catch another Khab broadside. I don't play German DDs, but they have excellent AP, and if you have a good angle, you want to use it. The pen angles aren't nearly as good as Daring or Jutland, though. 

Members
877 posts
6,656 battles

I never use AP on my DDs unless I'm in a Ge DD and get a really nice broadside on a very lightly armored CL, then go for it.  Otherwise, AP just doesn't work well against most targets as they either don't pen at all or overpen.  HE damage tends to stack for DD, especially if you're in a high volume ship.