You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Big_Boy69

What research bureau ship should I get?

16 comments in this topic

[X-PN]
Members
5 posts
4,870 battles

I currently need to regrind one more line to get a research bureau ship. I was planning to get Colbert but it seems to me it’s not as strong as I thought it was. Should I get Slava or Ohio instead? I’m really not sure what would match my playstyle.

[OIL-1]
Members
1,510 posts

I'm thinking Slava, but you really need to figure out what your best playstyle is. That's the best way to avoid disappointment.

Also consider what might hold up if the meta changes.

[WOLF3]
Members
30,966 posts
26,039 battles

This is more of what style of play you prefer, OP.  Slava, Ohio, Siegfried are pretty different.

Ohio is more a souped up traditional Battleship.  457mm guns have very high Overmatch Benefits against Cruisers:  There are numerous Cruisers that have 30mm armor sections they use to angle against AP smaller than 430mm, and bounce them.  457mm doesn't care.  Once a shell has an Overmatch advantage against a section of armor, there are no checks for bouncing.  High Tier USN BB 38mm deck armor is pretty good in foiling a number of raw HE shell pens.  27kts suck though, but hey, if Yamato can get away with it, so can Ohio.

While I think Thunderer is the superior BB between the two in terms of gunnery and shells (they released in the same update), Ohio is built more stout and can take punishment. 

Ohio also has great secondaries if that's ever your thing.  Matter of fact, they're fantastic fire starters, 9% fire chance for their 127mm secondaries while Georgia, Massachusetts are 5%.

Slava is a "long range or die" Battleship.  Godly Guns and Godly Shell flight characteristics.  Dispersion is Godly at range but as the distance shortens, becomes more and more meh.  AP shell penetration is insanely high.  Also 32mm deck and 25mm extremities.  If you are somewhere that ships can reliably engage you, you will melt to HE spam and possibly get Overmatched easily in your 25mm extremities.  If Yamato-class can hit with their 460mm+ AP, they will Overmatch both your deck armor and extremities.  She has a BB icon but IMO, not the BB staying power.

Below is an Artillery Chart with Slava's AP compared to many of Tier X's hardest hitting Battleships.

Godly AP Penetration compared to shells much larger than Slava's 406mm AP.

Low arcing shells with short travel time compared to her peers.

q6xU1oT.jpg

Siegfried is a Super Cruiser with the gimmick of Battleship sized 380mm guns with true Cruiser accuracy.  Super Cruisers try to bring both the best and worst of Cruiser and Battleship gameplay.  You're better armored, have more HP than typical Cruisers.  She packs 380mm guns like a BB but has Cruiser accuracy.  But Super Cruiser concealment sucks to near-BB levels.  You got better armor than Cruisers but don't ever believe you're armored like a Battleship, and don't ever think you can tank like a German BB.  You also inherit BB burn duration instead of the shorter Cruiser one.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway
  • Cool 2

Members
4,682 posts
45,595 battles

Dragon, hammer, or rhino style? Skip colbert. The meta is likely to change. If you are a BB main, then Ohio. Slava is not a brawler. It's just a Russian BB sniper. A Dragunov. Siegfried is a nice cruiser all around, but a cruiser. 380s with toyt dispersion. You might laugh like a supervillain with it.

[USCC]
Members
3,282 posts
15,366 battles

I have Ohio and love it, to me, it's a more accurate Monty, with long reaching secondaries.
I also have Siegfried, although I haven't played it too much yet, it does seem to be a very well rounded battle ship cruiser.
Slava will be next, unless something else comes along before hand. 
I play far to aggressive for Colbert, so that's a no go for me.

Beta Testers
1,038 posts
4,513 battles
4 hours ago, Big_Boy69 said:

I currently need to regrind one more line to get a research bureau ship. I was planning to get Colbert but it seems to me it’s not as strong as I thought it was. Should I get Slava or Ohio instead? I’m really not sure what would match my playstyle.

The only research bureau ship that can fit into most normal roles without a playstyle beyond "I like BBs" is Ohio. Ohio won't have a true "bad" matchup in map/opposition/range.

The other three are quite unique and you should know what you are getting into before dropping so much valuable currency (time or huge amounts of FXP on it. 

Colbert: Maximum HE spammer, rate of fire exceeds even Wooster and Smolensk. Fragile and relatively short ranged. You need to know map cover well and stick to it.  Otherwise you will be killed on sight.

Slava: More of a fat Stalingrad with a softer bow than a battleship. Has pinpoint accurate railguns that will delete someone from 20km if they broadside but will struggle in any other situation. Weakest armor of any BB in its matchmaking spread. Reputation is inflated from earlier overpowered design. Only for snipers. 

Siegfried: Battlecruiser with slow reload on not many guns, but they are 380mm and they do not miss. Has quite the toolbox to go with them as well and so is complex to play. Should do cruiser things not battleship things even though it is the size of Gneisenau. 

[WOLF3]
Members
30,966 posts
26,039 battles
2 hours ago, SpudZero said:

I also have Siegfried, although I haven't played it too much yet, it does seem to be a very well rounded battle ship cruiser.

I can only imagine what Siegfried players are doing when they get to be top tier against Tier VIIs.

2 hours ago, BlackAngelCom said:

Slava: More of a fat Stalingrad with a softer bow than a battleship. Has pinpoint accurate railguns that will delete someone from 20km if they broadside but will struggle in any other situation. Weakest armor of any BB in its matchmaking spread. Reputation is inflated from earlier overpowered design. Only for snipers.

WG made Tier VIII Premium BB "Champagne" follow the style of Slava, even armor.  Exterior armor is just like Slava, 25mm extremities and 32mm deck armor.  The HP is markedly low for the tier, a characteristic both ships share.  She'll be in Slava's MM bracket.

4SEgUmU.jpg

Upcoming USN Premium BB "Florida" is supposed to follow the same deal, but in Tier VII form.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway

[USCC]
Members
3,282 posts
15,366 battles
2 minutes ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

I can only imagine what Siegfried players are doing when they get to be top tier against Tier VIIs.

Probably driving around watching the world burn and sink as they drive to victory. :cap_rambo:

In any event, it's gotta be a good feeling!

[X-PN]
Members
5 posts
4,870 battles

Thanks for the responses! I mainly play cruisers and destroyers, and my only BB above T7 is Thunderer. I do want to get a t10 first tho i am thinking about getting Siegfried later. The problem i am having with choosing is that most of the ships are battleships, which i am not as comfortable in and don't think i can do justice with my current skill level. What would you guys say the skill floor of the Colbert is? I do really want to pick a ship that i can do well in with some practice. 

[WSU]
Members
40 posts
9,405 battles
12 minutes ago, Big_Boy69 said:

Thanks for the responses! I mainly play cruisers and destroyers, and my only BB above T7 is Thunderer. I do want to get a t10 first tho i am thinking about getting Siegfried later. The problem i am having with choosing is that most of the ships are battleships, which i am not as comfortable in and don't think i can do justice with my current skill level. What would you guys say the skill floor of the Colbert is? I do really want to pick a ship that i can do well in with some practice. 

Colbert's skill floor is higher than Smolensk. Not having smoke and having a short range means you fight through manueverability or island hump. The shells from the Colbert are closer in flight to US 5" shells than the Russian 5.1" as well, very floaty. The ROF helps with that a tad. I'd recommend picking a ship you can grow into rather than going the glass cannon route. :fish_aqua:

[SCK]
Members
196 posts
24,901 battles

I took the Ohio a week before Slava was released. At first, I wasn't really impressed. But just a few days ago I had a really really strong game in it and now I feel like it was the right choice. 

If you are a cruiser main, then Siegfried. If you like a brawling battleship, Ohio. If you want to snipe, Slava. If you like to hide behind the rocks and farm, Colbert. 

Id rank them:

1. Ohio

2. Slava

3. Siegfried

4. Colbert

[WOLF9]
Members
4,679 posts
11 hours ago, BlackAngelCom said:

The only research bureau ship that can fit into most normal roles without a playstyle beyond "I like BBs" is Ohio. Ohio won't have a true "bad" matchup in map/opposition/range.

The other three are quite unique and you should know what you are getting into before dropping so much valuable currency (time or huge amounts of FXP on it. 

Colbert: Maximum HE spammer, rate of fire exceeds even Wooster and Smolensk. Fragile and relatively short ranged. You need to know map cover well and stick to it.  Otherwise you will be killed on sight.

Siegfried: Battlecruiser with slow reload on not many guns, but they are 380mm and they do not miss. Has quite the toolbox to go with them as well and so is complex to play. Should do cruiser things not battleship things even though it is the size of Gneisenau. 

Thanks for the breakdown.  I'm 1000 RP away from having enough for Ohio, and can afford Colbert  or Siegfried right now.

Sounds like Colbert is probably not the ship for me- glass cannons and I don't get along too well, lol.  I'm too aggressive, and the bots are too accurate!

Likewise, Slava- Sniper BB's are NOT my thing.

Siggy is looking a LOT more interesting, after your breakdown, though.

And Ohio has always been on the list.   Loved Monty to death- and once I figured out how Georgia is really supposed to be played, it became a monster, lol.

But darnit!  I really like my Large cruisers/ Battlecruisers...   And Hindenburg has really grown on me lately.

[CANUK]
Members
2 posts
On 9/3/2020 at 4:49 PM, Fletcher7_1944 said:

and the bots are too accurate!

You only play Co-op?  Man, so does my dad.  I just don't get it.  

[WOLF9]
Members
4,679 posts
55 minutes ago, RLLD said:

You only play Co-op?  Man, so does my dad.  I just don't get it.  

Yes.   For all of it's faults, I find it more FUN than Randoms.   (there are plenty of threads out there that enumerate why)   I do play ranked also- just prefer NOT to play it when it's tier 10, like clans is.   Simply because there are too many meme ships in that tier, that make the battles more toxic and less fun, imo. 

A few seasons ago, they had a 1 vs 1 Ranked season that was a BLAST!

Operations just got too repetetive.   The same 3 or 4 ops over and over, and over...   They got rid of all the really fun ones (like Cherry Blossom and Dynamo) and/or  tweaked them till they were mere shadows of what they used to be. (Narai)  Taking the fun with it.  That and whenever I think about it, and go to play it's always that stupid Defense of Newport- my least favorite of all.   Without mission rewards, or goals that mean anything, it's just a random group of people farming- and I can find that in either of the regular modes.

I DO sometimes play Randoms- mostly mid tiers.   I quickly run out of patience for teams that hide in the back, or run away at the first sign of trouble, though.  (Red OR green- it's just as annoying, either way)   Ships like Boise and New Mexico can be hella fun to play there.

Just a preference for the more action packed close range free for all games you regularly get in Co-op.