Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
CommodoreKang

New Rig Question

87 comments in this topic

[-DF-]
Beta Testers
3,497 posts
6,798 battles

Time for some new hardware apparently.  Anyone have a decent gaming type hardware assembler that they recommend?  I normally build my own but I just can't be bothered at this point...

[APES]
Members
681 posts
8,389 battles

eh, if you dont want to build yourself then somewhere like cyberpowerpc should be good. or you can just go to your local microcenter and pay them a build fee.

[-DF-]
Beta Testers
3,497 posts
6,798 battles
1 minute ago, Ado1fCarsar said:

eh, if you dont want to build yourself then somewhere like cyberpowerpc should be good. or you can just go to your local microcenter and pay them a build fee.

Yeah sure I used to use Dell for work type stuff. 

I seem to recall someone on here mentioning a gaming specific type builder that they were really happy with.

I'm no so much worried about screaming performance but a somewhat fast and very quiet machine hopefully using one of the giant open towers that I prefer.  

So, i'm lazy but also kind of picky.

[APES]
Members
681 posts
8,389 battles
7 minutes ago, CommodoreKang said:

Yeah sure I used to use Dell for work type stuff. 

I seem to recall someone on here mentioning a gaming specific type builder that they were really happy with.

I'm no so much worried about screaming performance but a somewhat fast and very quiet machine hopefully using one of the giant open towers that I prefer.  

So, i'm lazy but also kind of picky.

no you have a specific budget in mind?

[-DF-]
Beta Testers
3,497 posts
6,798 battles
Just now, Ado1fCarsar said:

no you have a specific budget in mind?

Whatever it takes basically.  I usually get one notch down from top of the line type stuff and Raid 1 everything.  I hoping it's all gotten a bunch cheaper but I'm guessing it'll probably be somewhere north of 1K.

[APES]
Members
681 posts
8,389 battles
Just now, CommodoreKang said:

Whatever it takes basically.  I usually get one notch down from top of the line type stuff and Raid 1 everything.  I hoping it's all gotten a bunch cheaper but I'm guessing it'll probably be somewhere north of 1K.

do you plan on playing anything other than this game? nvidia just released new cards rtx 3000 series and they're amazing but way overkill for this game. 

[DVYJC]
Members
4,246 posts
10,868 battles
3 minutes ago, Ado1fCarsar said:

nvidia just released new cards rtx 3000 series and they're amazing but way overkill for this game. 

So what you're saying is... overkill for the game, but just about right to handle the port, though?

• Haha 1

[-DF-]
Beta Testers
3,497 posts
6,798 battles
Just now, Ado1fCarsar said:

do you plan on playing anything other than this game? nvidia just released new cards rtx 3000 series and they're amazing but way overkill for this game. 

Yeah i play a bunch of other games.  I was going to skip the whole new Flight Sim thing but if I get a new rig I might give 'er a go.  That'll probably soak up whatever you want to throw at it.  

But, I don't want a jet engine masquerading as a video card.  I'll deal with a few billion less polys to have something that doesn't heat up my entire house.

[APES]
Members
681 posts
8,389 battles
Just now, RainbowFartingUnicorn said:

So what you're saying is... overkill for the game, but just about right to handle the port, though?

way way overkill even for the port. those cards can handle 4k rayracing....

[APES]
Members
681 posts
8,389 battles
1 minute ago, CommodoreKang said:

Yeah i play a bunch of other games.  I was going to skip the whole new Flight Sim thing but if I get a new rig I might give 'er a go.  That'll probably soak up whatever you want to throw at it.  

But, I don't want a jet engine masquerading as a video card.  I'll deal with a few billion less polys to have something that doesn't heat up my entire house.

if you want to play at a high resolution like ultrawide 4k etc, probly need a 3080, otherwise a 3070 card will do. for a 3080 build, expect to pay up to 2k usd. 3070 build probably 1500-1600 or so.

[APES]
Members
681 posts
8,389 battles
Just now, RainbowFartingUnicorn said:

But can they handle a WeeGee memory leak, tho?

that's more of a system memory issue than a video memory issue.

[-DF-]
Beta Testers
3,497 posts
6,798 battles
1 minute ago, Ado1fCarsar said:

if you want to play at a high resolution like ultrawide 4k etc, probly need a 3080, otherwise a 3070 card will do. for a 3080 build, expect to pay up to 2k usd. 3070 build probably 1500-1600 or so.

So are Nvidia the goto video card these days?  3070 is probably enough for me...any idea how hot they run?

[APES]
Members
681 posts
8,389 battles
3 minutes ago, CommodoreKang said:

So are Nvidia the goto video card these days?  3070 is probably enough for me...any idea how hot they run?

the new ones will be very efficient, i doubt they'd get above 70c.

• Cool 1

[-TRM-]
[-TRM-]
Members
3,421 posts

4K is coming and you can maybe edit in 4K if not 6K with my specs the problem is my old three video cards. I'll drop the newest cards in (Overkill is not a word, I call it bloatproofing...) So for me upgrading is a new replacement radiator, new cards (Plural) and a ever increasing petflops in array storage backed by about 14 SSD vertex III in raid 5. That means a new board which determines how many PCI lanes I get off video cards and that in tern decides my CPU. I paid half retail for my i7 3930 6 core CPU 5 years ago (Paid 450 shipped next morning air. Retail is 800 plus before taxes)

I build my own rigs. I am working on one for the ex which is a copy in most respects of he rig I built for her 15 years ago and IS STILL RUNNING.... albeit with a obscene amount of hours on that CPU quad core. That particular gigabypte board was chosen for reliability and not too demanding internet and solitare play along with some video stuff. I can also game with it but its not my first choice of battle. I'll probably place the old box into honored rest on one of the memory shelves.

I cannot say get this or buy that or something else with computer stuff today. I sit and ponder on newegg for about 9 to 12 weeks. Soaking in the newest crap, researching each, hunting for negative or bad while cross checking blaring marketing [edited] against toms and other sources acquired in college. Microsoft flight sim is coming out now for 2020 and I intend to be in 4K by then. Not with these old cards. And with the thunderbolt light to and from the array I can support several machines now. Its crazy. Buy a crapmemory stick for about 35 dollars at 64 gigabyte and then turn around and see a one tera SSD plug in USB for 65 dollars, basically a GIANT Thumbdrive that stole the  march.

Computers. Sheesh. The one thing we will never do is go anywhere to buy a computer. The Parasites circling gets predatory. We tell them thats enough of that. We build our own.

One younger one in front of our manager cried [edited] to my face. I proceed to tick off every minutae detail of my build. It took a hour of his time with the Manager telling him to stand fast Im not done yet with you.

He was fired.

[-DF-]
Beta Testers
3,497 posts
6,798 battles
5 minutes ago, xHeavy said:

I cannot say get this or buy that or something else with computer stuff today. I sit and ponder on newegg for about 9 to 12 weeks.

I'm trying to skip that part this time.  I'm already a little dizzy with all the new shiny options available.  

Plus, it's super easy to do the build thing once you have all parts.  Until something doesn't work and then it's kind of a pain.  Particularly when you add RaidX to the equation.  It's mostly idiot proof but I'm pretty good at being an idiot when called upon.

[12TF]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
9,241 posts
28 minutes ago, CommodoreKang said:

Water cooling solves all the problems. It's pretty common now.  You don't have to get it custom built or a custom loop, AIO water cooling packs can include GPU cooling and are sealed/maintenance free.  With an eco mode PSU that doesn't turn the fan on unless it really needs to, my computer is "high end" but very quiet.

I did mine but Cyberpower or Ibuypower can build it for you.

[-DF-]
Beta Testers
3,497 posts
6,798 battles
Just now, Burnsy said:

Water cooling solves all the problems. It's pretty common now.  You don't have to get it custom build, AIO water cooling packs can include GPU cooling.  With an eco mode PSU that doesn't turn the fan on unless it really needs to, my computer is "high end" but very quiet.

I almost did water cooling with my last rig.  Something about water and circuit boards that just kind of freaks me out though.  If you have the space, you can essentially do a no/slow fan build with one of those gigantic cooler master towers that take up half the room.   

I do have room but if I go the gigantic tower route, I'll have two of them.  And that might be a bit obnoxious.  I do really like them though.  Easy to work on and easy on the thermal load of all the components inside.

[APES]
Members
681 posts
8,389 battles
1 minute ago, CommodoreKang said:

I almost did water cooling with my last rig.  Something about water and circuit boards that just kind of freaks me out though.  If you have the space, you can essentially do a no/slow fan build with one of those gigantic cooler master towers that take up half the room.   

I do have room but if I go the gigantic tower route, I'll have two of them.  And that might be a bit obnoxious.  I do really like them though.  Easy to work on and easy on the thermal load of all the components inside.

AIO watercooling loops are not that good if you ask me. much prefer a noctua heatsink, the Nh-D15 is ugly and huge but it performs better than pretty much any 240 or 280 AIO out there. it's only 360 and above or custom loop that makes watercooling shine. but for gaming, it's honestly all a [edited] waste of money.

[12TF]
9,241 posts
4 minutes ago, CommodoreKang said:

Water coolers come in sizes from 120mm (single fan) to 360mm (3 fan).  They will work in nearly any size case from a micro to a monster.  Most people have mid size cases and water cool in them just fine.

There is nothing to freak out about.  AIOs are factory sealed, designed never to be opened or messed with.  If they leaked, no-one would use them.  They don't.

I just did a new build with a 360 but my last one was a 120.  It's 6 years old, never had a problem and it still works just fine.

[-DF-]
Beta Testers
3,497 posts
6,798 battles
1 minute ago, Burnsy said:

Water coolers come in sizes from 120mm (single fan) to 360mm (3 fan).  They will work in nearly any size case from a micro to a monster.  Most people have mid size cases and water cool in them just fine.

There is nothing to freak out about.  AIOs are factory sealed, designed never to be opened or messed with.  If they leaked, no-one would use them.  They don't.

Oh I know.  At the time, I think they had some of the fully sealed systems but there was some part of the installation process where I "noped".  I'm sure they are totally bullet proof now. 

But, like @Ado1fCarsar said, for what I need, it's a bit overkill.  I'm not over clocking or anything.  If I do a smallish case, it'd probably be worth looking at especially with a prebuilt solution.  Noisy fans are my nemesis.

[-DF-]
Beta Testers
3,497 posts
6,798 battles
8 minutes ago, Ado1fCarsar said:

personally i'd go for something like this https://pcpartpicker.com/list/kMpvgJ throw in a rtx 3070 for 500 bucks and a case/psu of your choice. I like mini-itx builds so you can sub in a cheaper motherboard if you like.

Very cool thanks for the suggestion.  The motherboard is always the hardest part for me to pick out.  Is mini-itx a good one?  

I honestly can't remember any of the standards.  I always have to relearn all that stuff every time I get a new rig.

Members
948 posts
43 minutes ago, RainbowFartingUnicorn said:

My power bill does not like the WoWs port.

[12TF]
9,241 posts
9 minutes ago, CommodoreKang said:

Oh I know.  At the time, I think they had some of the fully sealed systems but there was some part of the installation process where I "noped".  I'm sure they are totally bullet proof now. 

But, like @Ado1fCarsar said, for what I need, it's a bit overkill.  I'm not over clocking or anything.  If I do a smallish case, it'd probably be worth looking at especially with a prebuilt solution.  Noisy fans are my nemesis.

Thats part of the point of water cooling.  CPU and GPU fans have to spin fast to keep chips under a heavy load, cool.  Water cooling fans do not.  The heat is spread over and absorbed by the water and larger radiator.  The fans turn much slower, to cool down the same conditions, so are much quieter.

Whatever you choose will be fine but if quiet is what you are after, water cooling IS the solution.  Noise is the reason that most people make that choice.  WoWs doesn't even cause my fans on the 360mm AIO to step up RPM at all.  It runs the game all day long with the fans running at the same RPM as it does just sitting there running windows.

Any online PC builder will offer AIO water cooling options as part their builds.  They are literally plug and play and almost the exact same process as installing a traditional air cooler.

• Cool 1

Sign in to follow this