You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
The_Potato_Smasher

Just Another Proposal: USS Maury

11 comments in this topic

[PRVTR]
Members
1,139 posts
6,343 battles

Just Another Proposal: USS Maury ( DD-401 )

USS Maury (DD-401) as completed, in mid-1938 (NH 42150).jpg

Torpedo Spam 2: The American Boogaloo Redo

What it is: A proposal for a brand new Tier VII US Navy Torpedo Destroyer. Yes, I know we already have Sims and Sims B at this tier, but I had a thought for a rather… interesting concept for a destroyer. One that will cement the reputation of the 1500 Tonners in the game as legends. For good this time.

Why it matters: The USS Maury is the last ship of the Gridley Class of 1500 ton destroyers, constructed and launched in the late 1930s. In addition to her fairly impressive medal collection, which included 16 battle stars and a Presidential Unit Citation, Maury also holds the distinction of being the fastest US Navy Destroyer of World War II, clocking just a hair under 43 knots during trial runs. She served as a screen for several famed vessels, including the Big E and the Yorktown, as well as, along with the help of the USS Dunlap and USS Craven, beating the snot out of a couple of helpless Japanese torpedo boats, namely, the Arashi, the Hagikaze, and the Kawakaze. She served well throughout the rest of the war, before being retired and scrapped in 1946. The other reasons include fundamental differences between the Gridley-class and the preceding Mahan-class. As opposed to the Mahans, the Gridleys lost one 5”/38 Dual Purpose Gun mount in favor of a fourth quadruple torpedo launcher, as well as receiving improved machinery that operated at a much higher pressure than the Mahan’s boilers, giving them improved performance at the cost of range. For the sake of game balance, the USS Maury will appear as she did in 1943.

Why the Maury: I’m using the Gridley for an alternate line of USN Torpedoboats that starts at Tier VII. The Bagleys are largely repeats and the rest are all more focused on gunboat material, especially the likes of the Porter-class and the Gleaves-class, the former of which is more like Tier VIII or IX material with her firepower and latter being a 1500 ton Benson.

Armor

• Tonnage: 1,500 Tons dry, 2219 Tons full load
  • HP Pool: 13,400 ( 15,850 with SE )
  • Plating: 16mm
  • Torpedo Reduction: 0%

Maury, oddly enough, has less health than both the Mahan and the Sims, which are her tier-mates and also share similar limitations.  

In any case, DDs are easy to write for in terms of armor.

Artillery

Primary Armament: 4 x 1 127mm/38 Mk.12 on a Mk.21 mod.1 mount

• Layout: Balanced ( AB-XY )
  • Reload: 3.3 Seconds
  • Range: 11.8 kilometers
  • HE Shell: 127mm HE Mk32, 24kg, 1800 Alpha, 5% fire chance, 21mm penetration, 792 m/s velocity, 3.33 FPM
  • AP Shell: 127m AP/SC Mk38, 25kg, 2100 Alpha, 45*~60* Ricochet, 8mm overmatch, 21mm Threshold, 0.010 second fuse, 792 m/s velocity
  • Dispersion: Destroyer
  • Sigma: 2.0
  • Turret Traverse Speed: 15* / second, 12 seconds @ 180*
  • Firing arcs: 150* on all turrets

These are your standard American 5”/38 Dual Purpose pew-pew guns, and, as such, there is nothing special to note of here. The firing angles are pretty delicious, however, as opposed to the Mahan’s angles, which basically requires a full broadside to use all the guns.

Torpedoes

Torpedo Armament: 4 x 4 533mm Quad

• Layout: Balanced Wing
  • Torpedo Carried: Mk.15 mod.0
  • Maximum Damage: 11,600
  • Reload Time: 87.0 seconds
  • Range: 9.15 kilometers
  • Torpedo Speed: 55 knots
  • Detectability range: 1.10 kilometers
  • Reaction Time: 7.7 seconds
  • Flood Chance: 190%
  • Sector: 140* Forward, 140* Rearward

Good news, Maury has LOTS of torpedoes. The bad news: they suck. The launchers are basically copy pasted from the Mahan’s upgraded ‘pedos, which means the range is good, at 9.2 kilometers, but everything else sucks, except the detectability range of these fish, which is a pretty solid 1.1 kilometers. I originally considered adding Monaghan’s torpedo reload booster as a joke, but that would have been the stupid to end all stupids. 

Oh wait….

AA Defense

Long Range AA Defense: 4 x 1 127mm/38 Mark 12

• Range: 5.8km
  • AA DPS: 26 @ 100% accuracy
  • Flak Damage: 1+0 @ 1,190 Damage

Short Range AA Defense: 7 x 1 20mm Oerlikion

• Range: 2.0km
  • DPS: 45.5 @ 95% accuracy
  • Flak Damage: 0
  • Access to DFAA: No

Priority Sector: Destroyer Standard

I’ve yet to meet someone besides myself who takes AA seriously post rework. Of course, who am I to complain? You don’t get DFAA, but you might as well leave it at home for all it’s worth these days.

Maneuverability

Velocity Characteristics

• Top Speed: 36.5 knots
  • Acceleration: Destroyer Standard
  • Turning Velocity: 30.5 knots

Rotational Characteristics

• Turning Radius: 560 meters
  • Rudder Shift: 2.2 seconds ( !!! )
  • Rotation Speed: ~9.1* / second ( LWM? )

Access to Engine Boost: Yes

The Maury has rotation to beat all comers. Despite lacking for acceleration like the Jervis or the Haida, the Maury compensates for it with absurd reflexes, with a 560 meter turning radius and a ridiculous 2.2 second rudder shift that makes turning a cinch for the Maury ( and targeting a nightmare for her opponents ). Also, she gets engine boost, go figure.

@LittleWhiteMouse, Do you know the numbers here?

Concealment

• Surface Detection Range: 7.0 kilometers
  • Aerial Detection Range: 2.9 kilometers
  • Smoke Firing Penalty: 2.6 kilometers
  • Assured Detection Range: 2.0km
  • Access to Hydroacoustic Search: No
  • Access to Surveillance Radar: No
  • Access to Smoke Generator: Yes

Maury is unusually stealthy for a US Navy 1500 ton DD, with a 7.0 kilometer minimum detection range that can be lowered all the way to 6.3 kilometers with Concealment Expert. However, she lacks the vaunted US Navy smokescreen that all the other USN DDs have. Instead, Maury gets a unique concept for a smokescreen that I devised a while back, and I decided to stick it here because I wanted to see how it would work on a torpedo boat.

Build and Consumables

Consumables

• Damage Control Party, 5 second action time, 40 second cooldown
  • Instant-Burst Smoke Generator, Instant Usage, 15 second dispersion, 0.75 km radius, 60 second cooldown,  7charges base
  • Emergency Engine Boost, 45 second action time, +17.5% Boost, 120 second cooldown, 3 charges base
  • Torpedo Reload Accelerator Consumable, 120 second action time, -20% to torpedo reload, 240 second cooldown, 2 charges base

Okay, when I said that Maury would receive a torpedo reload booster consumable, I didn’t mean that she would actually get said consumable. This consumable works sort of like a Main Battery reload booster consumable, accelerating the reload of her torpedo tubes by 20% for a duration of 120 seconds. Don’t assume, however, that this will be gamebreaking in any way. Her torpedo reload is already long at 87 seconds, and this cuts it to just under 70 seconds stock, and just under 63 seconds with TAE, or around 2 reloads if you time it right, and given the quality of her fish ( awful ), I doubt that even that many torpedoes would be gamebreaking. You wanna know why Benham succeeds so much? It’s not because of the fact that she throws out so many torps. It’s because people suck at dodging, and they don’t respect Benham's presence.

As for the other consumables, well, they are interesting, to say the least. Maury has an Emergency Engine Boost consumable that increases her top speed to around 42.8 knots for a duration of 45 seconds. Why? Because that’s how fast she managed during trials, when everyone else expected her to do 36.5. Unfortunately, the cooldown is fairly long, and, well, most of the ships she can be expected to get hunted by are either faster or can hit her very easily, sometimes even both. That’s where the new smoke generator comes into play. The smokescreen allows her to break line of sight very quickly and get out of detection range, or, in the case of radar ships, she can use it to get behind some solid island cover very fast. However, the dispersion time of the smoke generator is appalling, at 15 seconds, and you only deploy a single puff before the generator expires, though, at 0.75 kilometers in radius, it is quite large. You also get 7 charges base, and 8 with the Superintendent skill, so there’s that as well.

Build

• Slot 1: Magazine Modification 1
  • Slot 2: Engine Room Protection Modification 1
  • Slot 3: Torpedo Tubes Modification 1
  • Slot 4: Propulsion Modification 2 ( Or Steering Gears Modification 2 for the memes )

Commander Skills

• Preventative Maintenance
  • Last Stand
  • Survivability Expert
  • Concealment Expert
  • Adrenaline Rush
  • Torpedo Armament Expertise
  • Radio Position Finder

Welp, that’s all I got for you fellas. I’ll probably look into marketing later, when I get the chance to actually convince Lert or Mouse to help me with it.

-Shrayes

P.S: @Lert, this is the other thing I've been working on as of late. 

@Fr05ty, what are your thoughts?

Edited by Shrayes_Bhagavatula
  • Cool 4
  • Boring 1

[HINON]
Members
8,993 posts
13,152 battles

so, more or less Benham at T7? yeah it wouldnt have that below 90 second stock reload on 16 torpedoes at T7

[HINON]
Alpha Tester
25,786 posts
21,696 battles

Poor man's Benham. Poor IJN torpedo destroyers, what did they ever do to deserve being made so irrelevant!

I haven't crunched numbers on any of this, but at first glance the proposal looks interesting to me. Might need to tweak the balance a bit, that's an extremely heavy torpedo load out for T7, even if they aren't very good torpedoes.

[PRVTR]
Members
1,139 posts
6,343 battles
1 hour ago, Lert said:

Poor man's Benham. Poor IJN torpedo destroyers, what did they ever do to deserve being made so irrelevant!

Being the annoying little sheets they are. I can't have ONE peaceful game without them ruining it by spotting me and getting me killed

-Shrayes

[WG-CC]
WoWS Community Contributors
12,711 posts
10,843 battles
7 hours ago, Shrayes_Bhagavatula said:

Maneuverability

Velocity Characteristics

• Top Speed: 36.5 knots
  • Acceleration: Destroyer Standard
  • Turning Velocity: 29.5 knots

Rotational Characteristics

• Turning Radius: 560 meters
  • Rudder Shift: 2.2 seconds ( !!! )
  • Rotation Speed: ~9.1* / second ( LWM? )

Access to Engine Boost: Yes

The Maury has rotation to beat all comers. Despite lacking for acceleration like the Jervis or the Haida, the Maury compensates for it with absurd reflexes, with a 560 meter turning radius and a ridiculous 2.2 second rudder shift that makes turning a cinch for the Maury ( and targeting a nightmare for her opponents ). Also, she gets engine boost, go figure.

@LittleWhiteMouse, Do you know the numbers here?

A typical destroyer turns at something around 83.5% of 4/4 speed.  So your destroyer should maintain about 30.5 knots (give or take 0.2kts).  For a 560m radius, we can then math out her rate of rotation.

• Turn rate for your old values (29.5kt turn speed, 560m radius):  44.4s for 360º or 8.1º/s
  • Turn rate with standard World of Warships values (30.5kt turn speed, 560m radius): 43s for 360º or 8.4º/s

• Cool 2

[PRVTR]
Members
1,139 posts
6,343 battles
8 hours ago, LittleWhiteMouse said:

A typical destroyer turns at something around 83.5% of 4/4 speed.  So your destroyer should maintain about 30.5 knots (give or take 0.2kts).  For a 560m radius, we can then math out her rate of rotation.

• Turn rate for your old values (29.5kt turn speed, 560m radius):  44.4s for 360º or 8.1º/s
  • Turn rate with standard World of Warships values (30.5kt turn speed, 560m radius): 43s for 360º or 8.4º/s

Thank you Miss Mouse. I will update my numbers accordingly.

Also, how can I get the ship to rotate at 9.0*/s without Engine Boost. Do I reduce the turning radius, or do I increase the energy retention?

-Shrayes

[WG-CC]
WoWS Community Contributors
12,711 posts
10,843 battles
22 hours ago, Shrayes_Bhagavatula said:

Also, how can I get the ship to rotate at 9.0*/s without Engine Boost. Do I reduce the turning radius, or do I increase the energy retention?

Complete a 360º turn faster.  To get 9º/s, you need to complete a 360º rotation in 40 seconds.  Per the 560m turning radius specified in your design, said ship would have to be travelling at ~32.8 knots through the turn.  This would put their 4/4 straight line speed at about 39.5 knots.

Alternatively, if you used the British style energy retention, you could accomplish the same with a 4/4 speed of 33.5 knots (slowing down to about 32.8 knots through the turn).

Edited by LittleWhiteMouse
  • Cool 2

[VVV]
Members
2,912 posts
5,065 battles

I'd favor putting Maury at T8. After all she's fast and has a heavy torpedo armament while carrying the same guns as Sims. That's enough to make her flat out better than Sims and justify moving her up a tier higher. And she's basically Kidd's opposite in focus (torps rather than guns, speed rather than health) so I think they can coexist just fine. Collectors and USN DD lovers would go for both, but otherwise players looking for a high tier USN DD premium could pick which one suits their preferred playstyle.

[PRVTR]
Members
1,139 posts
6,343 battles
21 minutes ago, Lord_Magus said:

I'd favor putting Maury at T8. After all she's fast and has a heavy torpedo armament while carrying the same guns as Sims. That's enough to make her flat out better than Sims and justify moving her up a tier higher. And she's basically Kidd's opposite in focus (torps rather than guns, speed rather than health) so I think they can coexist just fine. Collectors and USN DD lovers would go for both, but otherwise players looking for a high tier USN DD premium could pick which one suits their preferred playstyle.

Not a bad idea, but consider this for a minute. Maury is a 1500 tonner, and Kidd, being a Fletcher, is not. ( Why WeeGee thought sticking a Fletcher at Tier VIII with a heal was a good idea, I'll never know. ).

Maury may have a supercharged torpedo armament, but her HP pool, gunpower, and AA are pretty pathetic even by Tier VII standards, not to mention that Maury uses the same gun mountings as the Mahan, which means a relatively sluggish turret traverse compared to the likes of Sims and Benson.

At Tier VII, you'll be fine because the DDs at this Tier still haven't fully developed the traits that make them so special, not to mention the lowered frequency of Radar and super-ranged Hydro. Stick her at Tier VIII, and all of a sudden, not only do you have a balancing problem, since you end up with a Tier VIII Benham ( which is arguably worse for the game than a Tier IX Benham, because you can see Tier VIs ), but you also have DDs where the traits of their particular line have developed to the fullest, as well as a major influx of radar, particularly the ever-present and ever-infuriating Soviet 12km radar on the likes of the Dmitri Donskoi, Moskva, and others, not to mention a horrible HP pool of just 13,400 where most ( save a few ), are exceeding 15K HP base, some even exceeding 19 or even 20k ( Looking at you, Akizuki ).

In any case, The Tier VIII premium I had in mind was actually going to be USS Laffey, Benson Class ( DD-459 ), which is basically a Benson with Black's radar consumable and a heal, in exchange for no smoke.

Also, I'm working on an alternate USN Torpedo boat line, ( which will come sometime in early-mid October, as I'm currently working on a rework of the latter half of the German Battleship Tech Tree, which will end up taking the rest of the week and maybe some time into next ), and the Gridley and Bagley classes will be a part of it, with Gridley at Tier VII and Bagley at Tier VIII.

-Shrayes