You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
TheGreatBlasto

Is the FdG the poor man's T9 KM brawler?

8 comments in this topic

[BROOK]
Banned
2,260 posts

After reading numerous reviews about how awful her main battery is, there is no way I'll buy her. Moreover, I am now reluctant to use hard earned coal for her.

If I use the Pomeranian secondary build on the FdG, will it be anywhere near as effective for brawling? I had her years ago and sold her without unlocking the T10.

:Smile_child:

[PISD]
Members
1,921 posts
6,332 battles

FDG is a good brawler, the issue is not there.

random punish brawling and require you to stay long mid range for the first part of the match, situation where the FDG is more clumsy than the Bismrack sister’s. Once in brawling she can be decent.

vs the Pommern: Pommern guns are weak and inaccurate, but with 12 you can hit something, even if you are forced to use HE. The torps are great. But Pommern may not be that better in random that FDG.

Members
1,008 posts
6,589 battles

Untitled.thumb.png.208c614bd675b7a9dcd87a2241ac971a.png

I have always (before 0.9.11) used a secondary-build on my FdG. The key is that you have to be patient. Driving a weak boat, you want to team up with strong teammates, sail behind them to support, and generally avoid dangerous situations that can cost your health.

Just pretend you are driving some sort of slow battlecruiser that are proficient in close-range brawling. Angling away to aft-tank is also preferable to angling in to bow-tank.

• Cool 1

Members
1,797 posts
5,635 battles

I just finished FDG...she didn’t stay in port as FDG is not a ship worth playing beyond the grind. If you don’t want GK, FDG isn’t really worth playing at all. The Bismarck is arguably the pinnacle of the line...or, better still, Tirpitz. 

Sailing FDG is all about positioning yourself in ways that allow teammates in ships that are actually good to fulfill their roles. It’s all about the threat of your guns and convincing the reds not to risk it. Sometimes it doesn’t work. You’ll be continually disappointed as the main battery fails to deliver hits, let alone cits, on broadside targets.

I fondly remember encountering an FDG at around 12+ km with about 2/3 HP left a few nights ago in Georgia. I knew instantly that I was going to “dumpster” the FDG and there was nothing he could do about it. It’s as close to free damage as you can get at that range.

Members
212 posts
5,200 battles

I haven't played FdG again since I owned GK. FdG IMO is one of the worst credit T9 ships ever appearing in the game - much worse firing angle and much fatter than Bismarck. You just have 4 barrels to shoot in order to keep angling. I really can't play it well unless I kite in this current meta. 

TBH not until I got FdG did I know how "marvelous" Bismarck was. Therefore I'd rather play Bismarck than FdG just thanks to its firing angle and thin hull (which allows me to dodge torps far more easily). 

[NMKJT]
Members
3,291 posts
8,472 battles
4 minutes ago, Impitoyable_5929_x said:

I haven't played FdG again since I owned GK. FdG IMO is one of the worst credit T9 ships ever appearing in the game - much worse firing angle and much fatter than Bismarck. You just have 4 barrels to shoot in order to keep angling. I really can't play it well unless I kite in this current meta. 

TBH not until I got FdG did I know how "marvelous" Bismarck was. Therefore I'd rather play Bismarck than FdG just thanks to its firing angle and thin hull (which allows me to dodge torps far more easily). 

The forward firing angles are a bit worse, but in rear firing angles, FDG is better. Add the overmatch 16" gives you and the absurd reload FDG has now, and she's far superior to Biscuit.

Members
2,237 posts
9,842 battles
On 9/3/2020 at 12:24 AM, TheGreatBlasto said:

After reading numerous reviews about how awful her main battery is, there is no way I'll buy her. Moreover, I am now reluctant to use hard earned coal for her.

If I use the Pomeranian secondary build on the FdG, will it be anywhere near as effective for brawling? I had her years ago and sold her without unlocking the T10.

I can't see a reason to buy Pommern if you have FDG, nor FDG if you have Pommern (if you dont want GK).

Gun layouts is likely a case of personal preference. Personally I'd take FDGs over Pommerns.

[-H-]
Members
213 posts
6,448 battles
On 9/2/2020 at 4:24 PM, TheGreatBlasto said:

:Smile_child:

I've found FDG to actually be a much more effective ship than my Pommern sans credit earned.  Same armor scheme, but it actually has guns that can hit something and will do some reliable damage. While FDG isn't fantastic, if you know how to play Pommern, you will find FDG just as good, possibly even better because of better firing arcs and better guns.

Edited by Concept6