You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Hapa_Fodder

Naval History in Photos: the Surrender of Japan

8 comments in this topic

[WULUF]
[WULUF]
Members
1,457 posts

Problem is, the video was good but showed a few German planes... and battles... the video was wrongly titled as Pearl Harbor BUT appeared to be New York... the real surrender took place in Japan, of course.

Still.... history is always good.

[OGF]
Members
1,077 posts
35,620 battles

Really enjoyed all these photos.  The unusual US flag in the first photo caught my eye, so I did some Googling.  The 31-star flag had been taken ashore by Commodore Matthew Perry in 1853 after his squadron of "Black Ships" sailed into Tokyo Bay to force the opening of Japan's ports to foreign trade.  It's now on display at Annapolis.

• Cool 1

[PQUOD]
[PQUOD]
Members
5,063 posts
19,384 battles

Wow good job! I watched a documentary on the ceremonies. One of the sailors aboard the USS Missouri was giving some commentary. He said there was no question about who was running the show. He was referring to Gen. Douglas MacArthur. 

• Cool 1

[S1TH]
Members
1 post
1,856 battles

WOW team, outstanding job on recognizing this historic date in world history! One of the accounts of the surrender noted that General MacArthur knew that the Japanese had a inferiority complex about height, so he send word that the US Navy sailors stationed at the gangway receiving the Japanese delegates, should be no less than 6' 2". 

You can clearly see that in one of the original photos.

Here is a link to the eyewitness account from an officer aboard the USS Missouri on that date, 9/2/45,  that appeared in our local Boston newspaper this morning, 9/2/20, the 75th anniversary of the surrender of Japan. Some unique insights that I did not know before.

https://www.bostonherald.com/2020/09/01/witness-to-history-on-deck-the-day-japan-surrendered-to-end-wwii/

[PVE]
Members
8,497 posts
24,554 battles
2 hours ago, Ensign123 said:

WOW team, outstanding job on recognizing this historic date in world history! One of the accounts of the surrender noted that General MacArthur knew that the Japanese had a inferiority complex about height, so he send word that the US Navy sailors stationed at the gangway receiving the Japanese delegates, should be no less than 6' 2". 

You can clearly see that in one of the original photos.

Here is a link to the eyewitness account from an officer aboard the USS Missouri on that date, 9/2/45,  that appeared in our local Boston newspaper this morning, 9/2/20, the 75th anniversary of the surrender of Japan. Some unique insights that I did not know before.

https://www.bostonherald.com/2020/09/01/witness-to-history-on-deck-the-day-japan-surrendered-to-end-wwii/

Your link didn't come up as a link...just text.

[OGF]
Members
1,077 posts
35,620 battles
On 9/4/2020 at 11:27 PM, marvinthemartian_1 said:

Really did enjoy this keep up the nice work. Also a comment made by [OGF] Wingslinger about the US flag is right on the money, good eye sir.

Thank you!  o7