You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
kgh52

what steps should we take now with the pending commander skill changes?

26 comments in this topic

[TDRB]
Members
5,329 posts
13,743 battles

Today's hot topic has been the announcement of a massive overall of commander skills.

I know of 2 threads where the pro & cons are being discussed. Please use those threads for that discussion.

My question is what steps should we take in preparation for the upcoming changes? I know what we've seen is subject to change but with 0.9.11 release date we should be thinking about it. (just didn't look right without the 0 in front) Is there anything we can do?

Edited by kgh52

[CHASE]
[CHASE]
Beta Testers
404 posts
12,081 battles

nothing, really. Just pay attention to when the skills are actually being tested and finalize.

• Cool 2

[TDRB]
Members
5,329 posts
13,743 battles
Just now, axyarthur said:

nothing, really. Just pay attention to when the skills are actually being tested and finalize.

That was my thought also but there is so much to take in I wasn't sure.

[ARGSY]
Members
24,533 posts
18,522 battles

Sit on our hands, accumulate ECXP if we are in a position to do so, and wait for details. I'm going to hold off on promoting anyone else to 19 points until we know more about what the CXP ceiling will be to make a "21-pointer".

• Cool 2

[USCC]
Members
3,289 posts
15,422 battles

Don't spend any more CFXP until it's all finalized. Other than that, just enjoy the game and not worry about it.

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester
28,342 posts
14,924 battles
11 minutes ago, axyarthur said:

This, we don't know what changes will happen between now and then, WIP.

[RLGN]
Members
16,241 posts
28,133 battles
Just now, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

Sit on our hands, accumulate ECXP if we are in a position to do so, and wait for details. I'm going to hold off on promoting anyone else to 19 points until we know more about what the CXP ceiling will be to make a "21-pointer".

This.

Play your 19 pointers and get that elite xp built up.

• Cool 1

[TIAR]
[TIAR]
Beta Testers
1,606 posts
23,157 battles
1 minute ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

quite this

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester
28,342 posts
14,924 battles
2 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

Until we know if there will be a free reset hanging onto elite commander exp is probably the best move.

[CO-OP]
Members
3,457 posts
30,238 battles

In addition to stockpiling ECXP, I would strong suggest that you take some time with the PTS when it is available.  Play with different commander builds, and most importantly  GIVE FEEDBACK.

[FFLY]
Members
138 posts
33 minutes ago, BrushWolf said:

Until we know if there will be a free reset hanging onto elite commander exp is probably the best move.

In summary:

• New skills were added and some of the old ones were changed
  • Now each class will have a separate section with unique skills
  • Maximum skill points number increased from 19 to 21
  • New way to get elite commander experience: dismiss unused commanders
  • The amount of experience required to retrain a commander to another researchable ship reduced by half.

If and when the changes come to the live server, everyone will have an opportunity to reset their commanders' skills for free. Details will be announced at a later date.

[UNHLY]
Members
5,077 posts
14,243 battles

Kind of what axyarthur said with keeping up with changes in testing, but I’ll add another. If you have 19 point commanders now, stockpile as much ecxp as you can. If current max point commanders do get bumped to new max point commanders, you’ll just have extra to upgrade or retrain other commanders. If current 19 point captains dont get upgraded (which lets be honest, it’s WG so our chances of getting two extra points on all our 19 point captains is about as likely as WG giving everyone a Missouri for free), you’ll need the extra ecxp to re-max your captains to farm ecxp. Assuming some of the guesses I’ve seen are accurate (15-16% increase like the 16-19 range is now), assume 750k for each current max captain to get back up to ecxp generating levels.

WG already stated in the dev blog that we will be getting a free respec period when this goes live, so we won’t need to use ecxp for that. 

[WOLF9]
Wiki Lead
16,328 posts
4,773 battles
1 hour ago, kgh52 said:

My question is what steps should we take in preparation for the upcoming changes?

For the average player, the suggestions above are good.  But for the Wiki Gnomes, beavering away in the dark, this will be an ENORMOUS, YUUGE job.  First, the new tables have to be created.  Then the page of every ship in the game will have to be refit with the correct one, then every ship will have to be re-evaluated for build recommendations and its page updated.  And of course, every mention of a skill in the Rules pages - and there are hundreds - will have to be tracked down and changed.  I'm already at work on new tables.

Seriously, I'm not sure we'll be caught up by this time next year.

Edited by iDuckman
  • Cool 1

[TDRB]
Members
5,329 posts
13,743 battles
1 hour ago, Estimated_Prophet said:

This.

Play your 19 pointers and get that elite xp built up.

I only have three 19 pointers & I do try to play them every day regardless of what's going on. One thing I'm short of is ECXP. 

[TDRB]
Members
5,329 posts
13,743 battles
Just now, iDuckman said:

For the average player, the suggestions above are good.  But for the Wiki Gnomes, beavering away in the dark, this will be an ENORMOUS, YUUGE job.  First, the new tables have to be created.  Then the page of every ship in the game will have to be refit with the correct one, then every ship will have to be re-evaluated for build recommendations and its page updated.  And of course, every mention of a skill in the Rules pages - and there are hundreds - will have to be tracked down and changed.  I'm already at work on new tables.

Seriously, I'm not sure we'll be caught up by this time next year.

I'm happy you're a "Wiki Gnome" but even much more happy that I'm not. Such a change as this one does require a lot of work that most will never think about.

[HINON]
[HINON]
Members
2,332 posts
23,759 battles

Grrr, just burned a million FXP building up a French commander to 19.  Didn't get the memo in time.

[WOLF9]
Wiki Lead
16,328 posts
4,773 battles
2 minutes ago, kgh52 said:

I'm happy you're a "Wiki Gnome" but even much more happy that I'm not. Such a change as this one does require a lot of work that most will never think about.

Man, even if they gave us loot, I don't think they could give us enough.  LWM (not a Gnome but a Mouse) may have to go on a ventilator when she sees this.

[RLGN]
Members
16,241 posts
28,133 battles
2 minutes ago, Warped_1 said:

Grrr, just burned a million FXP building up a French commander to 19.  Didn't get the memo in time.

That’s why I mostly just train up commanders naturally.

Elite xp is for special occasions, not leveling commanders whilly nilly.

[CMFRT]
[CMFRT]
Banned
16,985 posts
1 hour ago, kgh52 said:

Today's hot topic has been the announcement of a massive overall of commander skills.

I know of 2 threads where the pro & cons are being discussed. Please use those threads for that discussion.

My question is what steps should we take in preparation for the upcoming changes? I know what we've seen is subject to change but with 0.9.11 release date we should be thinking about it. (just didn't look right without the 0 in front) Is there anything we can do?

Hold off all Coal, Steel, Doubloon, or Cash spending until the full impact is sorted out, that ship you want could be completely borked by these changes.  (See anyone waiting for Flint to hit the Coal market.)

Hold off all commander training and retraining, especially if it involves spending ECXP.

Study the changes and make sure WG knows where they effed up.

Edited by KilljoyCutter

[TDRB]
Members
5,329 posts
13,743 battles
12 minutes ago, iDuckman said:

Man, even if they gave us loot, I don't think they could give us enough.  LWM (not a Gnome but a Mouse) may have to go on a ventilator when she sees this.

YES! on LWM. So many reply on her reviews. Just keeping up with the new ships has been a big job.

[TFLT]
[TFLT]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
815 posts

Nothing.  Just hold off on dismissing unused cdrs.  All those 3 pointers may be useful after all.

[A-D-F]
[A-D-F]
Members
2,318 posts

Make sure [edited] is updated.

The edit was the name of another product I shall now paraphrase as disagreement atmospheric auditory phenomenon.

Edited by Doombeagle
censorship

[V_KNG]
Beta Testers
13,197 posts

Give the wife, your significant other, grandma, grandpa or even the dog your wallet so you don't spend any RL coin. 

Then forget about the game changes until they arrive - as you know they will. 

Only then, with all the information available to you, can you make an informed choice... 

[CMFRT]
[CMFRT]
Banned
16,985 posts
1 minute ago, Cakeman826 said:

Why for cruisers not get Fire prevention... makes me sad. Pretty useful on all the Super Cruisers

They also will be stripped of AFT and BOS. 

I need to go through all the changes and identify where I won't be able to replicate the builds I have no or close to it because of the silly "type specific" skill lists.

At this point I'm stuck between playing the hell out of WOWS while it's still enjoyable, or just saying "the hell with it" and not wasting any more time.