You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Ferrytap

How do they hoist the boat off the ship?

15 comments in this topic

[FFG30]
Members
123 posts
6,572 battles

Here is a picture of the T3 BB Knyaz Suvorov. I don't see any crank. How do they hoist the steam boat off the ship?

image.thumb.png.1e488bf1d46ee685b1dcc636f01522b0.png

[-TRM-]
[-TRM-]
Members
3,437 posts

http://www.modelshipgallery.com/gallery/bb/ru/KnyazSuvorov-350-ma/pages/SUVOROV30-(4).htm

[HINON]
Alpha Tester
25,803 posts
21,705 battles

You see, crewman Boris is very stronk and he just yeets it.

• Funny 1

[WOLFG]
Members
705 posts
14,923 battles
2 hours ago, tjaluk said:

it floats off as the ship sinks

I was gonna post that when I read the original post, but you beat me to it, lol.  Well played.

[VAST_]
Members
229 posts
4 hours ago, Ferrytap said:

Here is a picture of the T3 BB Knyaz Suvorov. I don't see any crank. How do they hoist the steam boat off the ship?

image.thumb.png.1e488bf1d46ee685b1dcc636f01522b0.png

AE10D56C-4618-47BF-AD5D-E7DE2C0B943D.jpeg

• Funny 2

[NONE]
Members
3,887 posts
12,065 battles

In all seriousness? Boat cranes. Either installed or rigged from temporary king posts. Ships' boats are intended as service craft, not lifeboats or liferafts.

Some, like whaleboats, are set up for quick launching for lifesaving (man overboard) but in general warships rely on rafts for abandoning ship. Large merchant vessels have proper lifeboats on mechanical davits, but not so much warships.

Edited by Balon_Greyjoy
  • Cool 1

[HINON]
Alpha Tester
25,803 posts
21,705 battles
1 hour ago, Balon_Greyjoy said:

In all seriousness? Boat cranes. Either installed or rigged from temporary king posts.

I think the OP's point is, where are those cranes on the in-game model?

[--V--]
Members
1,540 posts
14,283 battles
1 hour ago, Balon_Greyjoy said:

In all seriousness? Boat cranes. Either installed or rigged from temporary king posts. Ships' boats are intended as service craft, not lifeboats or liferafts.

Some, like whaleboats, are set up for quick launching for lifesaving (man overboard) but in general warships rely on rafts for abandoning ship. Large merchant vessels have proper lifeboats on mechanical davits, but not so much warships.

Every US warship I was on had davits (like cranes) to lower the Captains Gig and Motor Whale Boats into the water.  The only small boats we didn't have davits for were special ops boats which were manhandled.  Life rafts are affixed to the sides of the ship in racks which can be manually launched or automatically launch if the ship submerges.  Which unless you're a submarine,,, is not a good thing.  :)

We did man-overboard drills frequently.  In the 3 'real' man-overboard events I experienced on ships 2 sailors died and 1 was rescued.  The 2 deaths were due to water temperature.  It was near the arctic circle and water temperature survival time was about 4 minutes.  We could not get to them in time.

The 1 incident where the sailor survived we were near S. America in warm waters.  We got the sailor back on board less than 11 minutes from the report of Man-Overboard.  This was excellent performance by the crew to save this young mans life.

• Cool 3
  • Sad 1

[GOCRY]
Members
970 posts
2 hours ago, Balon_Greyjoy said:

The king posts would be stored in racks on a bulkhead nearby.  When needed, they would be carried into position, mounted, and all the lines would be strung up to position/control it.  Nowadays, powered, permanent systems are much more common.

• Cool 2

[NONE]
Members
3,887 posts
12,065 battles
24 minutes ago, SeaGladius said:

The king posts would be stored in racks on a bulkhead nearby.  When needed, they would be carried into position, mounted, and all the lines would be strung up to position/control it.  Nowadays, powered, permanent systems are much more common.

Quite right. On most of my ships we had Whelan davits for the MWB's but used cranes for the big boats.

1 hour ago, SeaborneSumo said:

Every US warship I was on had davits (like cranes) to lower the Captains Gig and Motor Whale Boats into the water.  The only small boats we didn't have davits for were special ops boats which were manhandled.  Life rafts are affixed to the sides of the ship in racks which can be manually launched or automatically launch if the ship submerges.  Which unless you're a submarine,,, is not a good thing.  :)

We did man-overboard drills frequently.  In the 3 'real' man-overboard events I experienced on ships 2 sailors died and 1 was rescued.  The 2 deaths were due to water temperature.  It was near the arctic circle and water temperature survival time was about 4 minutes.  We could not get to them in time.

The 1 incident where the sailor survived we were near S. America in warm waters.  We got the sailor back on board less than 11 minutes from the report of Man-Overboard.  This was excellent performance by the crew to save this young mans life.

Luckily in my 23 years only 1 real man overboard. Some puke actually jumped from the fantail as we were leaving San Diego. Big Chicken Dinner*, coming up!

Hated man overboard drills. As EOOW on a Baltimore-class cruiser, the dreaded "Man overboard starboard side! All back emergency! Indicate 999 RPM for maneuvering turns! Stand by for heavy rolls!" on the 2JV  was always a lovely way to spice up a dull mid watch. Will the throttlemen lose vacuum? Will the check men go low or high water in the boilers? Ah, memories.

*BCD...Bad Conduct Discharge

Edited by Balon_Greyjoy

[--V--]
Members
1,540 posts
14,283 battles
3 hours ago, Balon_Greyjoy said:

Quite right. On most of my ships we had Whelan davits for the MWB's but used cranes for the big boats.

Luckily in my 23 years only 1 real man overboard. Some puke actually jumped from the fantail as we were leaving San Diego. Big Chicken Dinner*, coming up!

Hated man overboard drills. As EOOW on a Baltimore-class cruiser, the dreaded "Man overboard starboard side! All back emergency! Indicate 999 RPM for maneuvering turns! Stand by for heavy rolls!" on the 2JV  was always a lovely way to spice up a dull mid watch. Will the throttlemen lose vacuum? Will the check men go low or high water in the boilers? Ah, memories.

Tons of drills, picking up Oscar.  The real thing had almost a surreal feeling to it.    We never found the first 2 guys.  Both incidents were late in the evening, rough seas.  Lookouts reported them going over, but never saw them again.

The third guy was actually working on the davit of the Captains Gig when an untimely ships roll caused him to fall over.  He slid under the life lines and managed to grab hold of the lower one.  He held on as long as he could while his buddy tried to hoist him aboard.  In the end, he said I'm just going to push off, go tell the look out.  Which he did. 

• Cool 1

[-TRM-]
[-TRM-]
Members
3,437 posts
11 hours ago, Balon_Greyjoy said:

The same type of Vacuum I dealt with on my old Ford 351? Los that you have complications in a hurry.

[NONE]
Members
3,887 posts
12,065 battles
1 hour ago, xHeavy said:

The same type of Vacuum I dealt with on my old Ford 351? Los that you have complications in a hurry.

Main condenser on a marine steam turbine engine. No condenser vacuum = no steam flow = engine stops.