Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
guns_at_last_light

Double fail div FTW

16 comments in this topic

Members
907 posts

Sometimes, when you wish hard enough and the stars align, your team will get two fail divisions and the other team none. If the red team had been better boys and girls they would have been this lucky, too.

Also we won.

image.thumb.png.4f5488c4aa66c31e1fe17fd2eedf1e8b.png

[INTEL]
Members
1,780 posts
16,408 battles

Had a match yesterday with double fails on both teams. T4 CV's in a T7. Amusing....

[-BUI-]
Members
2,703 posts
7,030 battles

How to avoid the Fail Div - 

1:  Pick the same tier ship, you can't have a fail div if you both pick the same tier.

2:  If you MUST play different tiers, make sure the "leader" of your division is playing the lowest tier, MM is based on the division leaders ship.   Just toss leader to whoever is using the low tier ship.

[CWM]
Members
614 posts
6,820 battles
3 minutes ago, Zenn3k said:

How to avoid the Fail Div - 

1:  Pick the same tier ship, you can't have a fail div if you both pick the same tier.

2:  If you MUST play different tiers, make sure the "leader" of your division is playing the lowest tier, MM is based on the division leaders ship.   Just toss leader to whoever is using the low tier ship.

I’m pretty sure it’s intentional. 

[-BUI-]
Members
2,703 posts
7,030 battles
14 minutes ago, Cpt_Snafu_Idgaf said:

I’m pretty sure it’s intentional. 

Why?    Sounds like a rather dumb idea to put yourself in a position to fail intentionally.    Slightly better XP?   That only works if you actually manage to do something in the game.    What is a New York gonna do against a Bismark?   

I know OP said that side won, but show me an end game scorecard that shows them above the bottom 5...cause I doubt it.

I'd put my money on their intent being to get their T6 ships as top tier (especially that Weser), but they had the wrong division leader to do it, makes far more sense.

Edited by Zenn3k

[HINON]
[HINON]
Members
2,332 posts
23,690 battles
15 minutes ago, Zenn3k said:

2:  If you MUST play different tiers, make sure the "leader" of your division is playing the lowest tier, MM is based on the division leaders ship.   Just toss leader to whoever is using the low tier ship

Source?   Pretty sure it is random regardless of div leader being low tier or not. 

[-BUI-]
Members
2,703 posts
7,030 battles
Just now, Warped_1 said:

Source?   Pretty sure it is random regardless of div leader being low tier or not. 

There is no documentation I can source you, but try it out for yourself.   I have.

[-CFI-]
Members
369 posts
3,827 battles
18 minutes ago, Zenn3k said:

Why?    Sounds like a rather dumb idea to put yourself in a position to fail intentionally.    Slightly better XP?   That only works if you actually manage to do something in the game.    What is a New York gonna do against a Bismark?   

I know OP said that side won, but show me an end game scorecard that shows them above the bottom 5...cause I doubt it.

I'd put my money on their intent being to get their T6 ships as top tier (especially that Weser), but they had the wrong division leader to do it, makes far more sense.

As long as the New York stays out of Bismarck secondary range long enough,... it's not an even fight, but it's not that impossible. There's definitely an HP and armor gap, but the New York has more guns that are more accurate and not very much less powerful. Given equal skill, my money would be on Bismarck, but if the New York captain is good and the Bismarck captain merely average... I might just bet on New York...

[INTEL]
Members
13,459 posts
39,026 battles
31 minutes ago, Warped_1 said:

It follows the highest tier vessel irrespective of who the leader is.

[INTEL]
Members
13,459 posts
39,026 battles

Quadruple fail div for the win! This is the one @Ares1967 is talking about above. The A and C divs on our side are faildivs, as are the B and C divs on theirs.
image.png.54480ed1da6d109472cf363da510d323.png

Edited by Taichunger

[CNO]
Members
6,585 posts
19,771 battles
2 hours ago, Taichunger said:

^^this^^

You can't game the system by trying to piggyback on a lower tier ship to avoid a bottom tier match.  The match maker will dump the division into a match based on the highest tier'd ship in the division.  Sometimes, it might drop you top tier and the -1 at mid tier.  Sometimes it might drop you mid tier and the -1 bottom tier.  And sometimes, it might drop you bottom tier and the -1 a tier below.

[-TRM-]
[-TRM-]
Members
3,371 posts

I endured a pair of randoms yesterday in which two carriers per side joyfully took all of my spotting.

I leaned the DD against a island and pouted for 12 minutes. Came out finally towards the end to see whats possible with the CV's out of the way and sunk. It took 12 minutes for the world to be set right.

• Funny 1
  • Meh 1

Members
1,797 posts
5,635 battles

That’s rough. I see New York as a handicap in same tier MM, to say nothing of what a huge liability she is on the bottom...but...-1? Wow. That’s what you got instead of Fuso, too...double oof. Glad to hear you overcame that.  Likely because they got stuck with ‘Rado versus Shiny and your cruisers were arguably stronger choices.

Edited by Mahrs

[ARGSY]
Members
24,419 posts
18,377 battles

Having fought the New York against Tier 8 in the asymmetric battles in the PTS, I can say I will happily take a FULLY BUFFED NY against T8 engaging at range, because its 14 inch guns will smack cruisers about just as well as those of higher-tier ships and will chunk battleships down quite happily too. It's something I'd rather not do, though.

[INTEL]
Members
3,474 posts
19,929 battles
8 hours ago, Taichunger said:

When placing divisions in a match, Match Maker will only consider the highest tier ship's Match Making tier range for purposes of tier placement.

... "However, when a division is made up of ships of unequal tier, only the top tier ship's tier range will be considered. "

https://wiki.wargaming.net/en/Battle_Mechanics_(WoWS)#Divisions

Edited by ClassicLib

Members
1,411 posts
1,852 battles
On 8/31/2020 at 8:46 PM, Zenn3k said:

If you MUST play different tiers, make sure the "leader" of your division is playing the lowest tier, MM is based on the division leaders ship.

Yeah, I'm calling :etc_swear: on that one. Quite recently I was the leader of a division with my Ryujo & a King George V.  I got some bomb hits on a Lion & some rocket hits on an Alaska, and I'm pretty sure those aren't in my tier range.

Sign in to follow this