You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Aristotle83

Kansas or North Carolina(BB line split debate)

47 comments in this topic

[C_NT]
Members
960 posts
2,477 battles

Found myself in a position where I have the FXP to get either the North Carolina now or the Kansas when it comes out. For me history is important, North Carolina is the more historically relevant ship and typically this wouldn't be a question but this sort of ship is intriguing. Slow speed also doesn't bother me that much I like dreadnoughty ships. Things I'm more concerned about is the reload, turret movement and the armor. Misread Kansas on the wiki thought it had 18 inch belt armor not basically non existent belt armor.  

Also a factor is would probably prefer the Washington premium when it one day comes out over the North Carolina(reason I'm not using my FXP to go further up German line for example is cause I got Tirpitz and would see getting Bismarck as a waste). USN premiums I have I'm very happy with and expect the Washington to be great when it finally comes out. And of course there is the historical relevance as well. 

Know the Kansas is unpopular part of why this hard is my purchases I've made against public opinion I've usually been happy with. But here I'm honestly not sure what I think. Either way made this thread so people making a similar decision during the line split have a point of reference. Cause players on the USN tech tree are all going to have to make this choice now if they get to T8. 

I also want to make clear I am not experienced with USN non premium BB's. I got New Mexico in a container didn't like it and got rid of it maybe after a match or two. Got the Colorado and felt differently and kept it. But only played a handful of matches at most in both ships. I do have Arizona and I like it a lot.   

Edited by Aristotle83

[META_]
Members
73 posts
1,867 battles
1 hour ago, Aristotle83 said:

Found myself in a position where I have the FXP to get either the North Carolina now or the Kansas when it comes out. For me history is important, North Carolina is the more historically relevant ship and typically this wouldn't be a question but this sort of ship is intriguing. Slow speed also doesn't bother me that much I like dreadnoughty ships. Things I'm more concerned about is the reload, turret movement and the armor. Misread Kansas on the wiki thought it had 18 inch belt armor not basically non existent belt armor.  

Also a factor is would probably prefer the Washington premium when it one day comes out over the North Carolina(reason I'm not using my FXP to go further up German line for example is cause I got Tirpitz and would see getting Bismarck as a waste). USN premiums I have I'm very happy with and expect the Washington to be great when it finally comes out. And of course there is the historical relevance as well. 

Know the Kansas is unpopular part of why this hard is my purchases I've made against public opinion I've usually been happy with. But here I'm honestly not sure what I think. Either way made this thread so people making a similar decision during the line split have a point of reference. Cause players on the USN tech tree are all going to have to make this choice now if they get to T8. 

I also want to make clear I am not experienced with USN non premium BB's. I got New Mexico in a container didn't like it and got rid of it maybe after a match or two. Got the Colorado and felt differently and kept it. But only played a handful of matches at most in both ships. I do have Arizona and I like it a lot.   

Honestly it's looking like the NC will just be the better ship IMO. Kansas is super slow (which doesn't bother you sure). But at that speed you'll be a pinata for torps and HE, and not even amazing torp protection which is weird cause she's thicc 12 guns broadside but a 40 second reload! (If you play runescape it would probably be a good ship for you!) I think they changed the dispersion on it to be worse (might have been Florida though). 

Personally I don't think I can go back to the slow speeds of dreadnought BB's. I'm still interested in playing them but I don't have my Hope's up 

[USN]
Members
1,643 posts
21,155 battles

Unless Kansas gets some pretty hefty changes before 9.9, NC is going to be the far better ship. NC gets better guns, far more accuracy, more speed, and better armor (kind of interesting seeing one of the selling points of the Super Standards is better armor, yet Kansas has 32mm every while NC has a 38mm deck. Kansas is just a Free XP sink to Minnesota at this point.

• Cool 1

[INTEL]
[INTEL]
Members
7,780 posts
37,585 battles

If you are talking ships, NC any day of the week.

If you are talking BBQ, then it is a toss-up.

• Funny 1
  • Haha 3

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester
28,341 posts
14,924 battles

Well, the Kansas is still a work in progress and the North Carolina is available now.

[WOLF5]
Supertester
5,146 posts
4,345 battles

NC is a great ship, you really can't go wrong there. My question is why are you using FXP? Using normal XP gets you valuable learning experiences, and allows you to save FXP for things that really need it (like FXP ships or researching upgrades on ships you researched).

Kansas, all I can say is look at the published stats and make up your mind on whether you think those stats will be enjoyable for you. Keep in mind she's still WIP and subject to change.

[KIVA]
Members
192 posts

I've recently started grinding the USN BB tree, so if I take it slow and easy I should be at T8 around the time the line split goes up for early access... I'm definitely picking North Carolina when I get to T8. Any of the new ships I acquire will be through lucky RNG on token drops from the event, or else they'll be waiting until I've tapped out every other USN branch including the carriers. 40s reload is just too painfully slow.

[NFA]
Members
47 posts
4,607 battles
19 hours ago, tfcas119 said:

Unless Kansas gets some pretty hefty changes before 9.9, NC is going to be the far better ship. NC gets better guns, far more accuracy, more speed, and better armor (kind of interesting seeing one of the selling points of the Super Standards is better armor, yet Kansas has 32mm every while NC has a 38mm deck. Kansas is just a Free XP sink to Minnesota at this point.

Kansas is just a mess, Minnesota and Vermont on the other hand got armor buffs, now their torpedo bulges and side plating are 38 mm VS 32 mm before. 

[-OF-]
Beta Testers
107 posts

Kansas is simply a Free XP sink to get to Vermont. She's a giant turd without even a single gimmick to make it stand out from the crowd. NC isn't great but she's at least viable in the current meta.

If you are wondering which of the two lines to go down, get the Kremlin. 

[WOLF3]
Members
30,997 posts
26,056 battles

IMO, that split looks unimpressive.  The only one that looks somewhat interesting is the Tier X.

Which continues a trend that WG has been doing for a while now:  New ship lines, ship slits, where only the highest of tiers are interesting.  Where the characteristics of the line / line split come together, where in prior tiers it doesn't.

Even then, 40 second reloads... My goodness.  If RNG screws you over on your dispersion, or you just had bad aim for that salvo, then you're really f--ked.

These upcoming BBs have 40 seconds base reload for their 12 rifle broadsides, but only Tier IX-X can slot MBM3 for Slot 6 to help on the reloads.  Taking MBM3 will reduce it to 35.2 seconds, still outrageously slow.

Also bad news is the continued USN BB characteristics of no ASM1 in Slot 3 at all, relying instead on APRM2 in Slot 6 for Tier IX-X.  Tier IX-X of these new BBs will have to make a choice between accuracy (APRM2) or reload (MBM3).  Traditional Tier IX-X USN BBs' reload were just fine, so a bunch took APRM2 in Slot 3 with no worries.

Even worse for Kansas is she's Tier VIII... No Slot 6 access.  So no APRM2 nor MBM3 upgrade access, despite still being punished with 40 seconds reload.  She really looks bad.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway

[-OF-]
Beta Testers
107 posts
4 minutes ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

IMO, that split looks unimpressive.  The only one that looks somewhat interesting is the Tier X.

Which continues a trend that WG has been doing for a while now:  New ship lines, ship slits, where only the highest of tiers are interesting.  Where the characteristics of the line / line split come together, where in prior tiers it doesn't.

Even then, 40 second reloads... My goodness.  If RNG screws you over on your dispersion, or you just had bad aim for that salvo, then you're really f--ked.

These upcoming BBs have 40 seconds base reload for their 12 rifle broadsides, but only Tier IX-X can slot MBM3 for Slot 6 to help on the reloads.  Taking MBM3 will reduce it to 35.2 seconds, still outrageously slow.

Also bad news is the continued USN BB characteristics of no ASM1 in Slot 3 at all, relying instead on APRM2 in Slot 6 for Tier IX-X.  Tier IX-X of these new BBs will have to make a choice between accuracy (APRM2) or reload (MBM3).  Traditional Tier IX-X USN BBs' reload were just fine, so a bunch took APRM2 in Slot 3 with no worries.

That 40 second reload is a stupid balance decision that makes all three ships DOA until they fix it.

[WOLF3]
Members
30,997 posts
26,056 battles
4 minutes ago, ANDROMADA said:

That 40 second reload is a stupid balance decision that makes all three ships DOA until they fix it.

Even worse for Kansas is she's Tier VIII... No Slot 6 access.  So no APRM2 nor MBM3 upgrade access, despite still being punished with 40 seconds reload.  She really looks bad.

North Carolina has:

+ Better reload

+ 2.0 Sigma

+ Better AA

+ Better armor

+ Better speed

+ Better concealment

+ Better AP shells

Those salvos better be accurate and devastating, because right now there is literally no point to these incoming BBs.

[-OF-]
Beta Testers
107 posts
1 minute ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

North Carolina has:

+ Better reload

+ 2.0 Sigma

+ Better AA

+ Better armor

+ Better speed

+ Better concealment

Kansas has:

+ One extra turret

- Everything else

• Cool 1

[WOLF3]
Members
30,997 posts
26,056 battles
4 minutes ago, ANDROMADA said:

Kansas has:

+ One extra turret

- Everything else

Can you imagine being an HE spamming ship attacking Kansas?  She lacks the 50mm deck armor of the Tier X one, and she's got 32mm deck.  If Kansas misses her salvo against you, you have almost a minute to do whatever you want before she prepares another salvo to fire.

Even better, Shikashima 510mm AP and Yamato-class 460mm AP will Overmatch the Tier VIII-IX all over the place, thanks to the 32mm deck armor.  At least the normal USN BBs of High Tier have 38mm deck armor which cannot be Overmatched, so shells landing on the deck have a chance on bouncing the shells.  Kansas?

Overmatch

Overmatch

Overmatch

[C_NT]
Members
960 posts
2,477 battles
On 8/30/2020 at 6:10 PM, AJTP89 said:

NC is a great ship, you really can't go wrong there. My question is why are you using FXP? Using normal XP gets you valuable learning experiences, and allows you to save FXP for things that really need it (like FXP ships or researching upgrades on ships you researched).

Kansas, all I can say is look at the published stats and make up your mind on whether you think those stats will be enjoyable for you. Keep in mind she's still WIP and subject to change.

Difference between FXP and XP confuses me cause XP ain't on the home screen but yeah using XP. Really haven't gotten into the whole upgrades part of the game except adding the secondaries one to a few of my favorites that got the 6 inch secondaries. 

This thread is making me give up on the USN BB lines altogether after Colorado. I still maintain I want to wait for Washington which is going to come out some day rather than getting North Carolina(same reason wasn't interested in pushing to Iowa). But yeah you all are right the Kansas isn't worth it. Was interested in the Tillman battleship design but that ship had great armor this isn't it and that's where my original interest came from(wiki is super misleading way it has it's armor stat set up IMO). Maybe I'll buy the first South Dakota or an actual Tillman ship if WG releases it. If they have to nerf 12x16 inch guns so badly to make it fit at T8 there's nothing else enjoyable about the ship maybe shouldn't exist. 

For those curious chose to use the XP for the UK CA line instead. 

Edited by Aristotle83

[_S_B_]
Members
19 posts
4,480 battles

If you are talking ships, NC any day of the week.

If you are talking BBQ, then it is a toss-up.

No my friend.  If your are talking Bbq, then the real question is Eastern style vs Western style NC Bbq.

• Cool 1

[SCREW]
Members
435 posts
20,765 battles

Can say from experience that NC is a really good and reliable ship. Frankly, I would just grind out the xp on the colorado and save the free xp for the kansas. For me the US bb line is the best in the game, so I would have no issue playing through the colorado again. 

Members
40 posts

Haven't been in the game for awhile but I was gaming Warships around the time it went live and was around when they split the US cruiser tech tree which wasn't a big deal. But when I heard they were splitting the US BB tech tree it made me think what are they doing. For a lot of us that were gaming Warships since it came out. we've already completed the grind to Tier X on the US BB line and I like it where it is at now. I keep wondering where they are getting the blueprints for these ships that never were. "Kansas" looks like a redesigned "California'. Just as fat and slow but with a big punch. If anyone has been a frequent reader on NAVSOURCE like me, you will see it lists even those ships that were never built but nothing it has lists a  'proposed Kansas'. I guess I could grind for them just to have ships to get extra free XP  for whatever premium that comes out next.

Members
470 posts
8,506 battles

If the news was correct, you can get Kansas by completing the Directives of 0.9.9.  So you won't have to Free XP or XP to get the ship from Colorado, and can used that XP to get North Carolina, while also getting Kansas for "free".

Likely that means getting tokens, like we did for the Russian heavy cruisers, with one guaranteed ship if you complete everything regardless of how bad your RNG token pulls are.  That ship would be Kansas.  Minnesota is also possible, but if it was like getting Tallinn and especially Riga, you got to get lucky.

Members
40 posts

As I have already completed the BB tech tree to Tier X. If there is any way I could convert 20 million or so elite XP into free XP without having to drop a lot  dineros into buying doubloons to convert it, I'm all ears. I also play WoWS on console. A great deal you find on PC has yet to find its way to console. BB Tech split will be months down the road. On WoWS Legends the tech stops at Tier VII. So they're bringing in everything above Tier VIII and above on PC in as premium on console, so along way off.

Edited by USMC_WreknCrew

Members
8 posts
7,209 battles

The split is boring. There is nothing that these "standard battleships" does that their faster counterparts can't do, and do better. In high tier battles, everyone except for you are above 25 knts. Your guns lack pen and DPM, so you can't actively be a hunter on anything, and must always be a supporter to your team. You can't lead a push because of the slow speed and when a push comes, you are too slow to keep up. And if CAs decides to farm you with HE, then good luck - since you can't run, and you can't hide. 

Edited by Boatswain_Tam

[1984]
Members
7 posts
19,418 battles
On 8/30/2020 at 2:11 PM, Aristotle83 said:

North Carolina really is the quintessential Battleship, it took me a very long time to master it. Going from Colorado to North Carolina back in the day was a night and day playstyle. I too like the dreadnaught style play, I do well in New Mexico and is in my top 10 fav ships, I have over 180 ships so New Mexico in the top 10 says something. 

[SIDE]
Members
72 posts
20,321 battles

Alright so I've had the North Carolina forever and went up to Montana.  Am currently playing the Kansas and honestly say it's one of the worst ships I ever remember.  The ship is slow, has terrible concealment, and a hellacious long reload.  Just take the NC and move on with your life.

[70]
Members
1,256 posts
7,210 battles

The Kansas is excellent at what it does:

1. Make sure you never actively overextend yourself.

2. Teach patience and map reading skills.

3. Negative stat pad.

EDIT: 4. Be somehow surprisingly serviceable despite being underpowered, most likely due to points 1 and 2 and me being lucky enough to have a 10-point spare captain who came with the Puerto Rico.

North Carolina is excellent at irrelevant things like winning, earning XP/creds, having fun, running away from trouble, etc.

Edited by Guardian54
  • Funny 1