You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Meta_Man

How to play CV as a bottom tier

37 comments in this topic

[META_]
Members
1,829 posts
18,967 battles

Hello captains and haters, I added that because we know I will get some downvotes for instructing the newer CV players how to do well in matches. Say hello to the bad guy. Think I might like being the bad guy,lol. Anyway this is some gameplay of me in my Saipan a tier 8 CV in a tier 10 match. I give rules I live by and if you do not have these rules or intuition yourself you will struggle as bottom tier cv players. One rule or tip I forgot to add into the guide is try to attack ships as they arer coming towards you not them running away as this will shorten your time in the AA bubble. My Youtube channel is Meta_Man2002 and my main 2 classes are DD and CV I believe that it helps me kill and survive the other,lol. Please subscribe if you find the guide helpful and I will be adding more daily .I am gonna embrace the bad guy persona, bringing in a new generation of CV players,wooohooo:CV::cap_viking:

Edited by Meta_Man
  • Cool 2
  • Haha 1
  • Meh 1

[F4E]
Alpha Tester
1,145 posts

Happy to see a fellow Saipan CV driver.  However, it’s not really “bottom tier” with T10 planes.  Better to do this type of vid with a Lex, Implacable, etc non-premium.  Still, keep up the good work!

[META_]
Members
1,829 posts
18,967 battles
22 minutes ago, gbgentry said:

Happy to see a fellow Saipan CV driver.  However, it’s not really “bottom tier” with T10 planes.  Better to do this type of vid with a Lex, Implacable, etc non-premium.  Still, keep up the good work!

I hear you but disagree, I feel the whole bottom tier is best to show Saipan because the small amount of planes available and crazy long regeneration of planes...just my opinion, we all can have one..if i use the Kaga for bottom tier because of planes she gets the great amount of reserves and torp concealment is great on kaga..like i said just my opinion...i feel what bottom tier losses is from being deplaned and Saipan can be that fast,lol...ill put up a kaga video with same idea, hope that will be better for you,I just find that Saipan is fragile but can still do well.

[Y0L0W]
Beta Testers
354 posts
9,571 battles

Early game you should be killing DD's or spotting them and getting them killed not farming a BB thats already going to get farmed down and die. killing off enemy's dd's early wins you games not farming a bb thats already pushed to far and is going to die anyway. The fact there dd's had been spotted on both flanks and you were not focusing them tells me your not a experienced cv player. Kill off dd's then farm damage is the better way to go. As a dd main i hate this but its the most influence you have in battles.

What makes the kaga the best t8 cv for torping is the amount of planes you have in reserve, you don,t care if you lose planes because you just keep comming with more.

• Cool 2
  • Meh 1

[F4E]
Alpha Tester
1,145 posts
55 minutes ago, Meta_Man said:

I hear you but disagree, I feel the whole bottom tier is best to show Saipan because the small amount of planes available and crazy long regeneration of planes...just my opinion, we all can have one..if i use the Kaga for bottom tier because of planes she gets the great amount of reserves and torp concealment is great on kaga..like i said just my opinion...i feel what bottom tier losses is from being deplaned and Saipan can be that fast,lol...ill put up a kaga video with same idea, hope that will be better for you,I just find that Saipan is fragile but can still do well.

Thanks for seeing my point of view, even if we disagree.  Again, as I said in my post, I feel that these would be better for this topic if you use non-premiums.  Again, happy CVing and hope to see you in-game some time.

• Cool 1

[V_KNG]
Beta Testers
13,197 posts

You can't possibly know how many times I have seen wins turn into losses because someone feels they just have to "Kill 'Em All". Good video, important points stressed, 

29 minutes ago, EraserNZ1 said:

Early game you should be killing DD's or spotting them and getting them killed not farming a BB thats already going to get farmed down and die. killing off enemy's dd's early wins you games not farming a bb thats already pushed to far and is going to die anyway. The fact there dd's had been spotted on both flanks and you were not focusing them tells me your not a experienced cv player. Kill off dd's then farm damage is the better way to go. As a dd main i hate this but its the most influence you have in battles.

Nope. He did it the right way for this match. I've been saying for what, two months now, the meta is changing. It is already a tremendous waste of time going after DDs after the initial match-startup spotting. Cruisers and other DDs are far better at killing DDs than a carrier. 

Guess we'll have to wait to see how it all shakes out after the next update after they "tweak" CV to surface ship AA and spotting. 

What we need to be teaching others is indeed, cruisers and dds go after red dds. 

Edited by Herr_Reitz
  • Cool 1

[META_]
Members
1,829 posts
18,967 battles
12 minutes ago, Herr_Reitz said:

You can't possibly know how many times I have seen wins turn into losses because someone feels they just have to "Kill 'Em All". Good video, important points stressed, 

Nope. He did it the right way for this match. I've been saying for what, two months now, the meta is changing. It is already a tremendous waste of time going after DDs after the initial match-startup spotting. Cruisers and other DDs are far better at killing DDs than a carrier. 

Guess we'll have to wait to see how it all shakes out after the next update after they "tweak" CV to surface ship AA and spotting. 

What we need to be teaching others is indeed, cruisers and dds go after red dds. 

Thanks Herr_Reitz , it is always easy to play arm chair captain like the other guy . I will put my response on here as I do not want to even respond to his . First off in the video I point out Saipan is bottom tier and fragile with lack of planes and long regen rate. Second I want to support our dd with capping B then took the closest target next to an island to get damage then when I seen reds down 2 dds I go after my weapon of choice on the Saipan , the torps. By the way the 4 dds he was worried about had 0 kills and only 1 of the 4 dds broke the top half of the xp board. ....I am no way saying I am perfect here or in my DDs but I guarantee I bring value to the lower experienced players to learn from. Happy hunting captain.

[Y0L0W]
Beta Testers
354 posts
9,571 battles
48 minutes ago, Herr_Reitz said:

It is already a tremendous waste of time going after DDs after the initial match-startup spotting. Cruisers and other DDs are far better at killing DDs than a carrier. 

LOL You lose ALL credibility with that statement.

28 minutes ago, Meta_Man said:

By the way the 4 dds he was worried about had 0 kills and only 1 of the 4 dds broke the top half of the xp board

I,m saying for consistency of winning games not this single battle... you could go AFK and win a battle does it mean you played great and had a big impact on the game?

My stats in cv's just so you know i'm not a potato.

Capture.JPG

Edited by EraserNZ1

[V_KNG]
Beta Testers
13,197 posts
21 minutes ago, EraserNZ1 said:

I,m saying for consistency of winning games not this single battle... you could go AFK and win a battle does it mean you played great and had a big impact on the game?

Capture.JPG

Good for you - were those all solo, random matches? 

I may have lost cred with you, with everyone, but I will repeat myself - spotting is already sad and will soon be far worse, if the proposed changes go live. 

For the "average" player which is what I am, they aren't worth the effort. I can do more for the team by spotting them at the start, pointing them out along the way while going after cruiers/bbs. 

BTW - you have any such tutorials for players? I'll watch a few if you do. 

[META_]
Members
1,829 posts
18,967 battles
34 minutes ago, EraserNZ1 said:

Capture.JPG

Your reroll stats , I really don't care about them...your opinion i listened to it but it doesn't change my opinion...if i reroll my stats would be high blue to purple in alot of ships also..but thanks for stopping by....  I'll just continue to help newer players you stick to insults.

[Y0L0W]
Beta Testers
354 posts
9,571 battles
2 minutes ago, Herr_Reitz said:

Good for you - were those all solo, random matches? 

99% of them yes

4 minutes ago, Herr_Reitz said:

I may have lost cred with you, with everyone, but I will repeat myself - spotting is already sad and will soon be far worse, if the proposed changes go live. 

will have to see what happens

5 minutes ago, Herr_Reitz said:

For the "average" player which is what I am, they aren't worth the effort. I can do more for the team by spotting them at the start, pointing them out along the way while going after cruiers/bbs.  

Personally i think your hurting your team playing a CV and not focusing dd's because your the best class for spoting and hitting them with rockets, if the enemy cv is good and kills your dd's most of the time games over. You only have to look at the start of games where there is only 2 dd's, often if dd's go A & B, C gets abandoned and the ships that spawn there play super passive. Now look at games where those 2 dd's die the whole team ends up playing passive.

13 minutes ago, Herr_Reitz said:

BTW - you have any such tutorials for players? I'll watch a few if you do.  

I have been playing less and less as these days not a big fan where the game headed over the last 2 or so years so no. If i get back into the game more i could :)

[Y0L0W]
Beta Testers
354 posts
9,571 battles
6 minutes ago, Meta_Man said:

Your reroll stats , I really don't care about them...your opinion i listened to it but it doesn't change my opinion...if i reroll my stats would be high blue to purple in alot of ships also..but thanks for stopping by....  I'll just continue to help newer players you stick to insults. 

LOL if you look at my account its a Beta player account i have never rerolled?

<-------------- look there beta testers i have played since alpha with only one account...

Edited by EraserNZ1

[Y0L0W]
Beta Testers
354 posts
9,571 battles
13 minutes ago, Meta_Man said:

stick to insults. 

where is my insults?? i just gave my opinion about focusing dd's first?

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester
28,330 posts
14,924 battles
4 hours ago, EraserNZ1 said:

What makes the kaga the best t8 cv for torping is the amount of planes you have in reserve, you don,t care if you lose planes because you just keep comming with more.

The problem is finding them if they have their AA off and if the proposed changes do go in as they are spotting a DD from the air will become pure luck but the good news for the CV player with those changes is that there will be a bloom time on the AA so no more disappearing while you make your turn around.

Edited by BrushWolf
  • Cool 1

[PVE]
Members
8,505 posts
24,628 battles
2 hours ago, EraserNZ1 said:

I,m saying for consistency of winning games not this single battle...

Capture.JPG

Suggesting somebody play a set way no matter what & ignoring the present situation in a battle loses you all credibility.

Taking ships off the board (especially low HP BBs before they kite away & heal up & are allowed to bring those big guns back around) should always be priority 1...dead ships equal points (not to mention less barrels bearing down on your team's ships)...points win matches...as seen by the Montana throwing the lead away at the end.

• Cool 1

[PVE]
Members
8,505 posts
24,628 battles
1 hour ago, EraserNZ1 said:

where is my insults?? i just gave my opinion about focusing dd's first?

"...farming down a BB...that's going to die anyway" (alluded to not once but twice in the same paragraph)...which was the best play & you made it sound like it was a bad play was the insult.

[META_]
Members
1,829 posts
18,967 battles

We all play different styles , there is no exact science or procedure. Example i guarantee most captains  play the Graf Zeppelin and Loewenhardt differently than I do but both stay over 60%..so are you wrong for playing differently than I do? No,I see people come at battles differently than i do but If both get results i like my way and they make sense....when I watch other  players I don't always agree with their strategy but try to see why it makes sense to them.....in this battle my first priority was conserve planes so I'd have planes late....hit isolated ships near caps....isolated way out of the cap ships mean nothing to me because they aren't affecting the outcome of the game..my opinions and I do ok with it,lol

• Cool 1

[Y0L0W]
Beta Testers
354 posts
9,571 battles
10 minutes ago, Meta_Man said:

We all play different styles , there is no exact science or procedure. Example i guarantee most captains  play the Graf Zeppelin and Loewenhardt differently than I do but both stay over 60%..so are you wrong for playing differently than I do? No,I see people come at battles differently than i do but If both get results i like my way and they make sense....when I watch other  players I don't always agree with their strategy but try to see why it makes sense to them.....in this battle my first priority was conserve planes so I'd have planes late....hit isolated ships near caps....isolated way out of the cap ships mean nothing to me because they aren't affecting the outcome of the game..my opinions and I do ok with it,lol

of course! I was not trying it insult you at all, I was just giving my opinion. I just did not agree focusing on a BB first, most of the time you will waste to much time trying to kill a BB and the game will slip away from you.

Btw i hate when cv players talk about dd's should stay with there team to deal with cv games

1. 95% of games have cv's in them now
  2. For a dd to do ANYTHING AT ALL they have to be within 10-12km of the enemy (its not often cruisers and BB's are that close to the enemy until endgame when the games already decided most of the time) so your saying that dd's should just play passive and not do any damage or contest caps and just sit back with the cruisers?

[META_]
Members
1,829 posts
18,967 battles
24 minutes ago, EraserNZ1 said:

of course! I was not trying it insult you at all, I was just giving my opinion. I just did not agree focusing on a BB first, most of the time you will waste to much time trying to kill a BB and the game will slip away from you.

Btw i hate when cv players talk about dd's should stay with there team to deal with cv games

1. 95% of games have cv's in them now
  2. For a dd to do ANYTHING AT ALL they have to be within 10-12km of the enemy (its not often cruisers and BB's are that close to the enemy until endgame when the games already decided most of the time) so your saying that dd's should just play passive and not do any damage or contest caps and just sit back with the cruisers?

I don't agree, I cap and they come to me as a dd. I don't have to chase them if I don't want.....in french I hunt but in others I try to get a cap and contend in another cap...you might not  mean to but you sound like your style is the right one.....we can play ships differently and still win.....if i didn't win id change but I do win and just add to what I do if it makes sense.

Edited by Meta_Man
  • Cool 1

[Y0L0W]
Beta Testers
354 posts
9,571 battles
30 minutes ago, Meta_Man said:

I don't agree, I cap and they come to me as a dd. I don't have to chase them if I don't want.....in french I hunt but in others I try to get a cap and contend in another cap...you might not  mean to but you sound like your style is the right one.....we can play ships differently and still win.....if i didn't win id change but I do win and just add to what I do if it makes sense.

Yeah all good nothing wrong with disagreeing at all just plz don't think i was trying to insult ya because i wasn't. :)

Edited by EraserNZ1

[META_]
Members
1,829 posts
18,967 battles
2 minutes ago, EraserNZ1 said:

Yeah all good nothing wrong with disagreeing at all just plz don't think i was trying to insult ya because i wasn't. :)

No problem...you just said this just shows its an inexperienced cv captain in your first post...i see your stats and am sure you're good....i know i have a winning strategy also and am willing to take the time to make videos and help the players that want it.id like to see some of your games if you'd post....i always like seeing other strategies that are proven winners....good luck captain 

[Y0L0W]
Beta Testers
354 posts
9,571 battles
1 minute ago, Meta_Man said:

No problem...you just said this just shows its an inexperienced cv captain in your first post...i see your stats and am sure you're good....i know i have a winning strategy also and am willing to take the time to make videos and help the players that want it.id like to see some of your games if you'd post....i always like seeing other strategies that are proven winners....good luck captain 

i was about to start making content myself but because of the direction the game went i was not a big fan of so i don't play as much as i used too, Been a DD main the game is so anti DD i lost interest that i used to have for clan battles ect. if things change and i get back into the game i might :)

[V_KNG]
Beta Testers
13,197 posts

Well here's something else certain folks probably won't like... I've taken to informing the team to play perhaps the first two minutes with HE loaded. I never thought about the team stripping AA off the red ships, especially the AA heavy ships. 

If they buy it - and there's no reason not to buy into it - any damage they inflict on the red's AA helps all of them because I can drop fighters which may survive and spot longer. I can go after cruisers out hunting with radar plus... and maybe help punch down BBs. 

My strategy for the upcoming week will be making that suggestion as well as playing carriers to do the same, when I have HE I'll pre-focus a target with the HE then come back around with the AP stuff. I'm interested to see how that works out for me. 

As Meta_Man wrote, we all have our different styles. I've seen his videos, he's not a one-shot pony. He's had some darn good DD videos. This most recent video was the first I've seen him playing CV. 

I've watched a few other of the best CV players I can find on YT these days... they almost always skip the DDs unless the opportunity presents itself. They rarely go hunting for DDs. 

So that's my tactic as well. Help when I can but focus the cruisers/bbs and look for the yolo-soloists. 

[META_]
Members
1,829 posts
18,967 battles
23 minutes ago, Herr_Reitz said:

Well here's something else certain folks probably won't like... I've taken to informing the team to play perhaps the first two minutes with HE loaded. I never thought about the team stripping AA off the red ships, especially the AA heavy ships. 

If they buy it - and there's no reason not to buy into it - any damage they inflict on the red's AA helps all of them because I can drop fighters which may survive and spot longer. I can go after cruisers out hunting with radar plus... and maybe help punch down BBs. 

My strategy for the upcoming week will be making that suggestion as well as playing carriers to do the same, when I have HE I'll pre-focus a target with the HE then come back around with the AP stuff. I'm interested to see how that works out for me. 

As Meta_Man wrote, we all have our different styles. I've seen his videos, he's not a one-shot pony. He's had some darn good DD videos. This most recent video was the first I've seen him playing CV. 

I've watched a few other of the best CV players I can find on YT these days... they almost always skip the DDs unless the opportunity presents itself. They rarely go hunting for DDs. 

So that's my tactic as well. Help when I can but focus the cruisers/bbs and look for the yolo-soloists. 

Thanks, you should see my Graf Zeppelin video it was before I did commentary...love that game.....i try to focus whats close to cap unless its too bunched up....say our monty he stayed so far back if I was the red cv I'd leave him alone also....if they aren't helping contest they are irrelevant in my eyes..bbs need to share that hp ,armor , and aa.....i see so many monty's playing this way..not singling him out i hope..just a trend for that ship...yesterday I got 2 down votes for my 6 kill indomitable video..was sure I'd get down votes by the cv haters today also...wow

Edited by Meta_Man

[V_KNG]
Beta Testers
13,197 posts
16 minutes ago, Meta_Man said:

Thanks, you should see my Graf Zeppelin video it was before I did commentary...love that game.....i try to focus whats close to cap unless its too bunched up....say our monty he stayed so far back if I was the red cv I'd leave him alone also....if they aren't helping contest they are irrelevant in my eyes..bbs need to share that hp ,armor , and aa.....i see so many monty's playing this way..not singling him out i hope..just a trend for that ship...yesterday I got 2 down votes for my 6 kill indomitable video..was sure I'd get down votes by the cv haters today also...wow

I'll go look for the GZ video... as to the down votes, well, you got to wait a while till word gets around. :cap_haloween:

• Cool 1