You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
SmithWinston_655321

Resetting Cap Pernts

14 comments in this topic

Beta Testers
80 posts
21,746 battles

Scenario:

2 botes in cap

1 is never reset once

The other is constantly reset.

If cap takes 100 seconds to compleat, will it take longer to take the cap in this scenario than a single bote capping it alone?

Asked another way, does a bote being in cap with you being reset constantly add total time to cap vs if he wasnt even there?

It seems silly, but this is something I cannot confirm.  Such as when a phat BB enters when I am ninja capping.  Is he hurting or at worst not helping?

[WORX]
Members
13,209 posts
20,079 battles
3 hours ago, SmithWinston_655321 said:

Scenario:

2 botes in cap

1 is never reset once

If cap takes 100 seconds to compleat, will it take longer to take the cap in this scenario than a single bote capping it alone?

Asked another way, does a bote being in cap with you being reset constantly add total time to cap vs if he wasnt even there?

It seems silly, but this is something I cannot confirm.  Such as when a phat BB enters when I am ninja capping.  Is he hurting or at worst not helping?

If you're implying a DD and a BB in a cap, the reds are resetting the cap because of the BB. Would it be beneficial for the BB not to cap ??

The answer depends on how many ships are capping in the other side...

It also depends on the situation and what reaction you;re trying to achieve..

According to the wiki (https://wiki.wargaming.net/en/Ship:Game_Modes#Standard).. Capturing times very from one game mode to the other...

So again... I have to conclude with, it depends.

Edited by Navalpride33

[-TKS-]
[-TKS-]
Members
1,159 posts
8,955 battles
1 hour ago, SmithWinston_655321 said:

Scenario:

2 botes in cap

1 is never reset once

Like other m8 mentioned, it depends. That said, I think it hurts more than it helps if the BB can and is being hit by other ships, generally. Again, just depends on what's capping your side too and if you can kill what's hitting the BB, etc.

[O_O]
Members
7,036 posts
17,370 battles

It is my understanding that the DD in this scenario would still cap at the same rate, regardless of what is assisting it.  Obviously the BB would speed up the cap due to cap points it earns, and hits to the BB would only reset the BB's cap points.  The DD's cap points would not be affected.

But, my understanding could be flawed.

[ARGSY]
Members
24,393 posts
18,349 battles

My understanding is that it would be better for the BB to leave the cap if it could, and let the DD cap alone; it does actually [edited] progress.

[V_KNG]
Beta Testers
13,197 posts
35 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

My understanding is that it would be better for the BB to leave the cap if it could, and let the DD cap alone; it does actually [edited] progress.

Well if that is so, then that is a change... as long as I can remember, if the BB entered after the DD, reseting the BB only resets the BB cap progress. 

This sounds like a job for Dev_Person. 

[WOLF5]
Supertester
5,086 posts
4,340 battles

Yes, you are correct. Resetting one ship resets the whole cap progress. So even if a ship is capping that isn't spotted their progress is also reset. It doesn't make sense, but that is the way it works in WOWS. I don't know why it doesn't work like it does in WOTs.

[DOG]
Members
1,296 posts
13,460 battles
2 hours ago, desmo_2 said:

It is my understanding that the DD in this scenario would still cap at the same rate, regardless of what is assisting it.  Obviously the BB would speed up the cap due to cap points it earns, and hits to the BB would only reset the BB's cap points.  The DD's cap points would not be affected.

think this is how it works, based on what I've seen.  If so, it would be beneficial for the BB to stay in the cap, assuming the BB is not being rapidly killed, and it could actually avoid being killed by leaving.  I will at least slowly run up the points, and if it leaves the red team will notice the cap continuing to change hands, and will know there's a DD in there, which could lead to a short life span for the DD.  Of course, one or more of the red team might be able to see the cap not getting reset as much as it should be by the damage the BB is taking, and figure it out anyway.  

[IND8]
[IND8]
Members
1,248 posts
11,706 battles
2 hours ago, desmo_2 said:

This is correct.

55 minutes ago, AJTP89 said:

Yes, you are correct. Resetting one ship resets the whole cap progress. So even if a ship is capping that isn't spotted their progress is also reset. It doesn't make sense, but that is the way it works in WOWS. I don't know why it doesn't work like it does in WOTs.

This is not correct.

Only the capture points of the ship getting hit are reset, HOWEVER, there is a glitch in the calculation system where if the ship getting hit is taking a high enough rate of hit from a spammer, it can confuse the system for a couple of extra seconds before awarding the capture.

[Y0L0W]
Members
447 posts
9,690 battles
12 minutes ago, Shannon_Lindsey said:

Only the capture points of the ship getting hit are reset, HOWEVER, there is a glitch in the calculation system where if the ship getting hit is taking a high enough rate of hit from a spammer, it can confuse the system for a couple of extra seconds before awarding the capture.

This is the key point. TO expand on this, this glitch will happen every time a ship gets fully reset. I believe Flamu made a video about this with examples.

[DPG]
Members
2,085 posts
11,727 battles

If there are two ships in a cap they have both accrued capture points.  If one of those ships is being reset at some point all points accumulated by the reset ship will hit zero and then the unspotted ship will cap as normal.  That's why in a standard battle you can still lose even if you're shooting ships.  There is a ship somewhere that hasn't been reset.  It is usually a good idea for a ship being reset to leave the cap as they aren't contributing and are actually hindering the process.

[-K-]
[-K-]
Members
5,878 posts
22,414 battles

Actually, none of these is completely correct.

Objectives get captured after a certain number of cap points are earned. I believe the game treats them consistently as one point = one second. When a ship in a 60-second cap gets 60 points, the objective is captured. Standard Battles caps are 180-point caps, so a single ship takes 3 minutes to cap them. When there is more than one ship, their points are added together toward capturing the objective (i.e. a 60-second cap flips when they add up to 60 points -- 30 on each is fine, 50+10, whatever).

When both ships are in the objective, both will accrue capture points, but NOT at the same rate as if they were solo. One ship caps in 60 seconds (1 point per second). Two ships don't cap in 30; they take 40. If you reverse-math that, it means each of the ships is only earning 0.75 points per second instead of 1. Of course, there are two ships, so combined that's .75+.75 =1.5 points per second and they'll flip the cap faster than the solo ship. So each ship's point-collecting rate slows down when there are more ships in cap, but together they still complete it faster than a single ship.

Any time a ship gets hit while it has points, it "drops" them and the cap progress rolls back. So if there's only one ship and it keeps getting hit, it will keep dropping its points and never cap. If there are two ships and one keeps getting hit, the one getting hit will keep losing its points, and the ship that isn't being hit will just keep accumulating them, until 60 are reached and the objective is captured.

BUT, remember that because there are two ships in the cap, that one un-hit ship is only earning .75 points per second. It will take 80 seconds to cap at that rate. And that's what happens. So to answer the OP's question, yes, having a second ship sail into cap and just keep getting hit does slow down the cap, but it will eventually flip if one of the ships never gets hit.

Edited by Edgecase
Fix numbers to be more accurate
  • Thanks 3

Beta Testers
80 posts
21,746 battles

"yes, having a second ship sail into cap and just keep getting hit does slow down the cap, but it will eventually flip if one of the ships never gets hit."

EDGECASE - THAT is the [edited] that I have been sensing but could never calculate or comprehend.  None of the other theories made sense.  It is clearly NOT like Tonk Werld.  That made sense.

This is some odd [edited] and I will take this into account.  So BBs harm the process as they are about never dark and will be endlessly reset.

Thanks!

Can this be referenced someplace?

Beta Testers
80 posts
21,746 battles

"One ship will fully capture the enemy base in 180 seconds; two or more will do so in 120 seconds. A team that captures the enemy base gets 1000 points and wins the battle."

from the link above for std battles