Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Skyfaller

WG please add option to stop using rear turret as default aim turret POV (BBs)

15 comments in this topic

[ALL41]
Beta Testers
2,464 posts
10,717 battles

WG,

Could you please add a CONTROLS option that stops the ship from using the rear turret of BBs as default aiming turret? It literally is throwing off one's aim based on perspective (aka lead-aiming from rear turret POV results in different aim point than if aiming from front turret POV). 

There is an option to automatically switch turret view but it doesn't really do much given the moment your rear turret has LOS on aim point it will default to rear and there is no way to tell it not to. It is not much fun to have to press turret POV change key every time you want to take a shot. 

• Cool 3

[O_O]
[O_O]
Members
5,478 posts
23,912 battles

Excellent suggestion! That has always bothered me...

Members
358 posts
5,926 battles
1 hour ago, Skyfaller said:

There is an option to automatically switch turret view but it doesn't really do much given the moment your rear turret has LOS on aim point it will default to rear and there is no way to tell it not to. It is not much fun to have to press turret POV change key every time you want to take a shot. 

There is a setting to stop it from changing turret view. For example, being able to fire at an enemy behind you while aiming from your front turrets only (without it automatically switching to your rear turrets). I don't have my client in front of me, but take a look through the settings.

[ALL41]
Beta Testers
2,464 posts
10,717 battles
1 minute ago, FullMetal_Inferno said:

There is a setting to stop it from changing turret view. For example, being able to fire at an enemy behind you while aiming from your front turrets only (without it automatically switching to your rear turrets). I don't have my client in front of me, but take a look through the settings.

I know there is. Problem is, it will default to rear turret POV and wont let you manually change the POV nor change it automatically. When you press SHIFT to aim, if the camera is looking anywhere inside the rear turret arc, it will default to rear turret. I don't want that. 

[CMFRT]
[CMFRT]
Banned
16,985 posts
1 hour ago, Skyfaller said:

I know there is. Problem is, it will default to rear turret POV and wont let you manually change the POV nor change it automatically. When you press SHIFT to aim, if the camera is looking anywhere inside the rear turret arc, it will default to rear turret. I don't want that. 

It also seems to default to using the rearmost turret to determine if your LOF is blocked by terrain. 

[EQRN]
Members
2,243 posts
20,562 battles

There is an option in Settings that is supposed to stop auto changing PoV- which does nothing for me, it auto changes every time for me.  I zoom in, have rear pov, I hit “c” to change it forward, zoom out, and when I zoom back in it alternates back to rear.  I think the Setting is literally “alternate cameras” - I’ve tried setting and un-setting and get the same behavior both ways.  

[HINON]
Alpha Tester
25,803 posts
21,716 battles
2 hours ago, Skyfaller said:

wont let you manually change the POV

That's C.

[FOXEH]
Banned
14,364 posts
20,842 battles
2 hours ago, neptunes_wrath said:

using my BBS I almost never even USE the rear turret as I am angled... so what Am I missing???

Cheeseburgers, to go with those fries!

When you aim, you can aim from any turret; it is like standing on top of the turret, with or without binoculars, and doing the old IJN gun control officer, point with your sword, and the gun(s) (hopefully) shoots at what you were pointing to.

When you aim from the rear turret, your front turrets are not as accurate. (By the same token, when you aim from the front turret, your rear turret(s) are not as accurate) because they are firing from a different perspective, like you get from looking at something up close and shutting one eye, and then the other. The object you're looking at seems to shift back and forth. It isn't moving, but your perspective is. Now imagine being a right handed shooter and trying to line up a rifle on a target with only your left eye.

Is there any beer that comes with those fries?

[ALL41]
Beta Testers
2,464 posts
10,717 battles
4 hours ago, neptunes_wrath said:

using my BBS I almost never even USE the rear turret as I am angled... so what Am I missing???

When you switch to forward turret POV you get a much better lead-aim and vertical aimpoint view for them. Simple experiment is to go to rear turret and aim at a ship angled 45 degrees... decide the aim point...then press C and see how the forward turrets end up aiming at the same location..it will shift noticeably towards the bow of your ship..which means they are being aimed either too high or too low or too long to a side compared to the aft turret. Using forward turret POV aim in ships like Yamato who have 2 fore and 1 aft turret results in 6 of your 9 guns being properly aimed..but if you use the aft, only the rear turret ends up well aimed. 

Bad design and poor coded implementation. Needs to be fixed.  

Beta Testers
1,830 posts
2 hours ago, KilljoyCutter said:

It also seems to default to using the rearmost turret to determine if your LOF is blocked by terrain. 

I believe LOS is drawn from the centre point of your hull

[ALL41]
Beta Testers
2,464 posts
10,717 battles
14 minutes ago, Dareios said:

I believe LOS is drawn from the centre point of your hull

LOS is not the same as LOF. 

Members
948 posts
56 minutes ago, Skyfaller said:

LOS is not the same as LOF. 

Correct.

6 hours ago, Skyfaller said:

Could you please add a CONTROLS option that stops the ship from using the rear turret of BBs as default aiming turret? It literally is throwing off one's aim based on perspective (aka lead-aiming from rear turret POV results in different aim point than if aiming from front turret POV). 

Thank you!  This is been bugging me for ages and is the first time someone hasn't just dismissed the concept out of hand. 

[INTEL]
Members
1,780 posts
16,453 battles

The rear turret is NOT the default aim/POV turret. Its the default if you're looking forward, ie: stern to bow. If you zoom while looking bow to stern the front turret becomes default. Yes, I think its bass-ackwards as well but its the way it works. tapping C will change the POV.

Sign in to follow this