You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
DominicusD

Inquiry IX

17 comments in this topic

[TBCIC]
Members
70 posts
3,495 battles

Kinda wonderin'  . . across all types/class and nations what boat & non-prem s the best Tier IX in experienced opinion?

Just wondering.

TIA

[UNHLY]
Members
5,030 posts
14,137 battles

Kita, Jutland and Mogador definitely for DDs; personally I loved Buffalo and Saint-Louis and Roon is supposed to be good if you can handle the gun layout; for battleships I’ve begun to like Iowa more playing it now compared to when I ground through it, and I’ve seen plenty of love for Alsace, Soyuz, and occasionally FdG on reddit and the forums.

[KILL]
Members
1,071 posts
12,310 battles

Everyone has their opinions.    I liked Lion the most probably.  Undefendable HE damage, AP bouncing armor and zombie heal.  What more do you need?

Members
4,629 posts
45,337 battles
1 hour ago, WES_HoundDog said:

Everyone has their opinions.    I liked Lion the most probably.  Undefendable HE damage, AP bouncing armor and zombie heal.  What more do you need?

A couple of Daleks to shoot down the planes.

Members
88 posts
4,035 battles

Based purely on their "on paper" stats, the best tier 9 ships are Georgia, Udaloi, Seattle, Z-46 and Fletcher.

The most overpowered tier nine ship should be the Black. But for tech tree ships, the best appears to be Fletcher. I've spent way too much time looking at this.

Overall player performance is not an argument. Limit any argument against me to actual ship stats. Overall, I believe Fletcher is the best tech tree tier 9 ship. Fletcher might be the best tech tree ship in the game, although Hindenberg, Mahan, Hosho and Sinop can all make strong counter arguments.

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
30,839 posts
25,945 battles
5 hours ago, DominicusD said:

Kinda wonderin'  . . across all types/class and nations what boat & non-prem s the best Tier IX in experienced opinion?

Just wondering.

TIA

Tier IX?

For the typical player, Musashi :Smile_teethhappy:

In all serious, I'd say overall for the typical player, who tend to favor Battleships, Georgia.  A solid BB and is actually available to get, unlike Musashi & Jean Bart.  Gimmicked up 457mm x6 main battery that fires fast and is accurate.  430mm+ guns are a big deal, they're the only BB guns below IJN 460mm / 510mm guns that can Overmatch almost all of the best Cruiser protection schemes out there.  There's a lot of Cruisers in High Tier that have 30mm armor sections that Cruiser Players use to troll even 419mm, 420mm AP shells.  But 430mm+ AP?  OVERMATCH.  No checks for bounces.

At.

All.

You got Masshole Secondaries, Engine Boost, all on a Iowa-class based hull that has default 33kts max speed.  I'm actually surprised WG has not pulled Georgia from the shop / armory yet.

Outside that, for Cruisers, Alaska, without any doubt.  IMO the best all around Super Cruiser in Tier IX.  Even better, she has Radar.  The only other Super Cruiser this tier with Radar is Kronshtadt, and she's no longer available for purchase in the shop / armory.  One of the best Super Cruiser protection schemes, doesn't die immediately from showing broadside like Kronshtadt, Stalingrad, Azuma, Yoshino do.  Her citadel is so trollish that BB players complained about trying to find it, especially in short ranges.  Her 27mm bow means she can, if the situation calls for it, bow tank against 381mm or smaller AP shells.  Gunnery is solid, unlike Kronshtadt who scatters shells.  HE is sufficient but her AP has special bounce angles.  This is where she makes her money.

DDs?  Kitakaze.  Fierce DD Gunboat power, stupidly good HE Pen.  Improves upon Akizuki yet she doesn't eat Full BB AP Pens like Tier X Harugumo does.  Kitakaze as with other Tier IX DDs still has some level of agility, while Harugumo has none.  I recall seeing lots of Harugumos eat torps in their smoke and die, because they can't get up and go, and evade.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway

[INTEL]
[INTEL]
Members
7,777 posts
37,457 battles

Fletcher, Kitakaze, Black, Z-46, Jutland, Östergotland, Buffalo, Georgia would be my choices (I have them all)

Don't have Pommern but seems to be popular.

[WOLF5]
Members
1,470 posts
11,002 battles

As with many discussions, I have to agree with @HazeGrayUnderway on this this matter. Tier IX Premium ships seem to seriously out-ranked the tech tree lines and as noted perhaps the "easiest" and most powerful would be the Musashi. She is followed by the Georgia and Alaska. I have a fond spot for the Missouri as well although she too, like the Musashi, in no longer readily available. Although I have not played them the Sinop and Mogador statistically and reportedly are fine ships too. The Black, which I only was able to play in a test setting, is also a great ship.

[A-I-M]
Members
4,084 posts
15,213 battles
6 hours ago, DJC_499 said:

Although I have not played them the Sinop and Mogador statistically and reportedly are fine ships too. The Black, which I only was able to play in a test setting, is also a great ship.

Sinop in a T9 comparison?

Did you mean Sovetsky Soyuz?

[BOTO]
Members
1,460 posts
18,147 battles
8 hours ago, Harmonieux said:

Based purely on their "on paper" stats, the best tier 9 ships are Georgia, Udaloi, Seattle, Z-46 and Fletcher.

The most overpowered tier nine ship should be the Black. But for tech tree ships, the best appears to be Fletcher. I've spent way too much time looking at this.

Overall player performance is not an argument. Limit any argument against me to actual ship stats. Overall, I believe Fletcher is the best tech tree tier 9 ship. Fletcher might be the best tech tree ship in the game, although Hindenberg, Mahan, Hosho and Sinop can all make strong counter arguments.

Where are you getting these stats from that you're basing this on?  Using Fletcher as an example, I can't find any stats for her anywhere that would support the contention she's the best Tier 9 destroyer, much less the best tech tree ship in the game.  While still a decent ship, Fletcher has been one of many victims of power-creep, just like many of the older ships in the game.

[WOLF5]
Members
1,470 posts
11,002 battles
1 hour ago, MannyD_of_The_Sea said:

Sinop in a T9 comparison?

Did you mean Sovetsky Soyuz?

I do...thanks...

[SYN]
Members
15,968 posts
12,803 battles

Kitakaze, Fletcher

3 hours ago, Aaron_S_Merrill said:

Using Fletcher as an example, I can't find any stats for her anywhere that would support the contention she's the best Tier 9 destroyer, much less the best tech tree ship in the game.

Fletcher is literally the best torpedo destroyer of T9.

Assuming you know how to work around 12km radar

[WOLF9]
Members
1,305 posts
24,592 battles

For me, my favorites/best are:

Non Premium:

BB:  Iowa, FDG, Alsace

CA/CL: Brindisi

Not really into CVs and DDs

Premium:

BB:  Georgia, JB (No Missouri or Musashi in my fleet)

CA/CL: Alaska

[BOTO]
Members
1,460 posts
18,147 battles
3 hours ago, MrDeaf said:

Kitakaze, Fletcher

Fletcher is literally the best torpedo destroyer of T9.

Assuming you know how to work around 12km radar

So you've at least narrowed down the criteria, but it's still a stretch to say she's the best overall destroyer at Tier 9, much less the best tech tree ship in the game.

[SYN]
Members
15,968 posts
12,803 battles
14 minutes ago, Aaron_S_Merrill said:

So you've at least narrowed down the criteria, but it's still a stretch to say she's the best overall destroyer at Tier 9, much less the best tech tree ship in the game.

I never said it was the best T9 DD in the game. Someone else said that.

I'm only ever going to say Fletcher is the best T9 torpedo DD in the game, if you know how to work around 12km radar.

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
30,839 posts
25,945 battles
57 minutes ago, MrDeaf said:

I never said it was the best T9 DD in the game. Someone else said that.

I'm only ever going to say Fletcher is the best T9 torpedo DD in the game, if you know how to work around 12km radar.

Fletcher torps have long been one of the best overall torpedoes in the game.  Great blend of range, reload, speed, power, as well as quantity.  Those torps almost do x2 the damage of Tier X Halland's torpedoes and reload only 6 seconds slower.  But as you said, you got to learn work those 10.5km torps around 12km radar.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway

[SGSS]
Members
6,206 posts
22 hours ago, DominicusD said:

Just wondering.

TIA

The cruisers are fine/good but when your up against T10 its a problem.  Buffalo is good but Des is so much better than it makes Buffalo look terrible