Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Slayer_Jesse

I think i'm doing fighters wrong.

9 comments in this topic

[CMFRT]
Beta Testers
300 posts
7,762 battles

Hey there. Recently trying to get into CVs, and using them for the 150 planes shot down mission for the Halsey stage 5 campaign. I have the Implacable, Lexington, and Saipan. I find this task kind of frustrating, as trying to drop fighters never seems to work. Even when i anticipate the drop time, it seems like the enemy CV planes can always fly out of attack range, even when caught within the circle for several seconds. Its not uncommon for me to have 0 shoot down games, which is a bit discouraging. The only tiem i can seem to get the fighter consumable to work is when i drop it over allies the enemy cv is determined to strike. Any tips? Is there some secret sauce, or is this just a poorly designed mechanic?

[THREE]
Members
2,151 posts
10,967 battles

You can lure enemy fighter into your fighters if that helps.

Besides Enterprise, the fighter are only good to deter attacks or if the enemy squad already wasted boast.

[RLGN]
Members
16,188 posts
28,079 battles

Do shoot downs in Co-op.

Fly out in front of the nearest destroyer, or where the bot planes might come from, (if no destroyers,) drop your fighters as you said, profit.

Fighters in Randoms are effectively worthless. The only value they have there is for spotting, maybe, (if AA doesn’t insta kill them,) for making a Red air squad fly somewhere else for a bit, or as clay pigeons for Red ships to get shoot downs from.

Only the most noob, potato, or desperate of human carrier drivers will fly their planes into a dropped fighter zone.

Edited by Estimated_Prophet

Members
4,663 posts
45,380 battles

In co-op, try sailing for the bot CV. As you get closer, he will attack you..drop your fighters as you launch your attack. Use the CV AA to get any bombers coming at you. Your CV launches a set, but you can also drop a set ahead of your CV so you sail into the spot. As you close in, you will end up shooting down more.

If you run low on planes, then sail at the bot CV and enable sector priority based on direction of attack. This is an option if you don't have AA flags put on.

Keep closing in and you should shoot down all his planes.

[WPORT]
Members
9,819 posts
14,329 battles
5 hours ago, Estimated_Prophet said:

Do shoot downs in Co-op.

Fly out in front of the nearest destroyer, or where the bot planes might come from, (if no destroyers,) drop your fighters as you said, profit.

Fighters in Randoms are effectively worthless. The only value they have there is for spotting, maybe, (if AA doesn’t insta kill them,) for making a Red air squad fly somewhere else for a bit, or as clay pigeons for Red ships to get shoot downs from.

Only the most noob, potato, or desperate of human carrier drivers will fly their planes into a dropped fighter zone.

1 hour ago, SteelRain_Rifleman said:

In co-op, try sailing for the bot CV. As you get closer, he will attack you..drop your fighters as you launch your attack. Use the CV AA to get any bombers coming at you. Your CV launches a set, but you can also drop a set ahead of your CV so you sail into the spot. As you close in, you will end up shooting down more.

If you run low on planes, then sail at the bot CV and enable sector priority based on direction of attack. This is an option if you don't have AA flags put on.

I don't have much to add to the above two posts.  :-)

Random battles versus a competent human are unlikely to yield a lot of enemy planes shot down.  You'd have to be sailing pretty darned close to the action and would put the ship at risk of getting sunk from everything-plus-the-kitchen-sink that the red team will throw at you.

But the Bot CV's are not programmed to emulate that level of difficulty, yet.  So, it's possible to lay a fighter-drop trap near a friendly ship that is likely to be attacked by a squadron of 'bot planes.  Alternatively, sail directly towards the red CV and force it to focus on your CV (after clearing a path through the other red team's ships, to make this feasible).  Engaging in a secondary gun battle with another CV is fun.  :-)

Good luck.  :-)

Members
4,663 posts
45,380 battles
7 hours ago, Wolfswetpaws said:

I don't have much to add to the above two posts.  :-)

Random battles versus a competent human are unlikely to yield a lot of enemy planes shot down.  You'd have to be sailing pretty darned close to the action and would put the ship at risk of getting sunk from everything-plus-the-kitchen-sink that the red team will throw at you.

But the Bot CV's are not programmed to emulate that level of difficulty, yet.  So, it's possible to lay a fighter-drop trap near a friendly ship that is likely to be attacked by a squadron of 'bot planes.  Alternatively, sail directly towards the red CV and force it to focus on your CV (after clearing a path through the other red team's ships, to make this feasible).  Engaging in a secondary gun battle with another CV is fun.  :-)

Good luck.  :-)

If it's two saipans, then it's a shouting match. Neither has secondaries. Basically, once the planes are gone, a BB player will usually ask: "Okay if I whack it?"

If you see me in co-op, I will likely whack if for you, unless I want to use my secbats. But I am not likely to ask.

The temptation to hit a CV sailing wide for a BB player is very tempting. It's borderline madness to show restraint. Akin to a DD player being close to a BB and they have full tubes. The DD player doesn't need a reason, they just drop them and giggle.

[WPORT]
Members
9,819 posts
14,329 battles
33 minutes ago, SteelRain_Rifleman said:

If it's two saipans, then it's a shouting match. Neither has secondaries. Basically, once the planes are gone, a BB player will usually ask: "Okay if I whack it?"

If you see me in co-op, I will likely whack if for you, unless I want to use my secbats. But I am not likely to ask.

The temptation to hit a CV sailing wide for a BB player is very tempting. It's borderline madness to show restraint. Akin to a DD player being close to a BB and they have full tubes. The DD player doesn't need a reason, they just drop them and giggle.

Yeah, you're right about the two Saipans having a shouting match.  At least you have other CV's to work with.  :-)

[CMFRT]
Beta Testers
300 posts
7,762 battles
21 hours ago, Estimated_Prophet said:

Do shoot downs in Co-op.

17 hours ago, SteelRain_Rifleman said:

Huh, I thought the Halsey mission was random only, but i just double checked and it is allowed to do it coop. Thanks for the advice.

Members
4,663 posts
45,380 battles
1 hour ago, Slayer_Jesse said:

Huh, I thought the Halsey mission was random only, but i just double checked and it is allowed to do it coop. Thanks for the advice.

Have fun out there sport.

While some find it to be not sporting to shoot down planes like clay pigeons at a tournament, try telling that to the Harugumo players that have full AA build, flags, and they rush the bot CV.

They don't sink it right away. They shoot down every plane first whilst laughing like Dr Evil.

And they say CV players are mean. 😏🌴🐉🌌😎

Sign in to follow this