You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
WildWitch

What have you got against Clan Battles WG ??

68 comments in this topic

[BOMBL]
Members
191 posts
7,019 battles

Just heard on the stream that they are going to test allowing players from outside your clan to be invited in to join your Clan in CB divs if you cant get enough, they dont have to join your clan.

wth !

This is going to be massively abused

We do Clan Battles with our Clan - good players or not - so we drop the weaker players and invite in some ringers ??

if CBs are not for Clans then have a different event - if your clan cant get enough people - then merge or move... tough !

We dont spend all our time trying to recruit and build a clan for this lame cheat mode to be implemented - not impressed.

Edited by WildWitch
  • Cool 6
  • Boring 1
  • Meh 3

[BOMBL]
Members
191 posts
7,019 battles

On the twitch World of Warships stream

Banned
1,684 posts

Please note that all information in the development blog is preliminary and subject to change during testing. Any showcased features may or may not end up on the main server. The final information will be published on our game's website.

• Meh 1

[BOMBL]
Members
191 posts
7,019 battles
21 minutes ago, Nikolay_Kuznetsov_ said:

Please note that all information in the development blog is preliminary and subject to change during testing. Any showcased features may or may not end up on the main server. The final information will be published on our game's website.

How is testing this in a test server going to iron out the in game issues its going to cause in real clans ?

• Haha 1

[SALVO]
Members
26,304 posts
30,265 battles
34 minutes ago, WildWitch said:

Just heard on the stream that they are going to test allowing players from outside your clan to be invited in to join your Clan in CB divs if you cant get enough, they dont have to join your clan.

wth !

We do Clan Battles with our Clan - good players or not - so we drop the weaker players and invite in some ringers ??

if CBs are not for Clans then have a different event - if your clan cant get enough people - then merge or move... tough !

We dont spend all our time trying to recruit and build a clan for this lame cheat mode to be implemented - not impressed.

I agree with you on this.  My problem with this is that it puts no pressure on small clans to recruit more members or to attempt to merge with other small clans to create a larger single clan.

One side note regarding these mercenaries.  If this is going to happen regardless, there should be an additional restriction that's not mentioned in the dev blog.  Mercenaries who are members of other clans should NOT be allowed to be mercenaries.  Mercenaries should be strictly clan-less players, or perhaps members of tiny clans ("tiny" meaning less than around 5-6 members).  

• Cool 1

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester
28,324 posts
14,923 battles
7 minutes ago, Crucis said:

I agree with you on this.  My problem with this is that it puts no pressure on small clans to recruit more members or to attempt to merge with other small clans to create a larger single clan.

One side note regarding these mercenaries.  If this is going to happen regardless, there should be an additional restriction that's not mentioned in the dev blog.  Mercenaries who are members of other clans should NOT be allowed to be mercenaries.  Mercenaries should be strictly clan-less players, or perhaps members of tiny clans ("tiny" meaning less than around 5-6 members).  

I don't have a problem with people in clans being mercs but I think there should be a long multi-day cool down before a merc plays with another clan besides their own in CB.

Edited by BrushWolf

[BOMBL]
Members
191 posts
7,019 battles
2 minutes ago, Crucis said:

Absolutely ! My small clan wanted  to play clan battles - we put a lot of time and effort in recruiting, discussed merging etc

This mercenary idea is 1) Going to be abused 2) Going to cause issues in clans who just want to get better players in the team

There are plenty of Clans trying to desperately recruit for CBS - people need to join them if they want to play CBs, its not hard !

[WOLF5]
Supertester
5,088 posts
4,341 battles

So my guess on why they would do this is to increase participation in CBs. Why might they want to do that? Well wasn't there a boycott for this last season? So, maybe it worked and depressed participation. And this is WG's response. Maybe a case of be careful what you wish for, you may get it. Though these things tend to be in the works for a long while, so maybe not. Interesting timing though.

Personally I think the idea of mercenaries is a good one, but does have the potential to be abused. We'll have to see how things turn out. Definitely need a limit to the number of mercs a clan can take into battles.

Edited by AJTP89
  • Cool 1
  • Boring 1

[WPORT]
Members
9,797 posts
14,326 battles
48 minutes ago, WildWitch said:

wth !

I've only recently created a clan, to avoid getting invitations to join someone else's clan.  That being said...

I can agree with the principle of "Clan Battles" involve only "Clan Members".
More specifically, one must be a member of <insert name of clan here> to join a battle and be on their team.

If a clan wants to recruit "temporary" members who fight in a few clan battles and then quit later, that would be difficult to prevent.

But, if they fight for <insert clan name here> then the player should be wearing <insert clan name here>'s team jersey or colors or uniform of the team (whatever you want to call it).

shot-20_08.28_19_49.00-0727.thumb.jpg.40b3fa15052d7ffa7c3b2b416d8066c8.jpg

• Cool 2

[SALVO]
Members
26,304 posts
30,265 battles
2 minutes ago, AJTP89 said:

So my guess on why they would do this is to increase participation in CBs. Why might they want to do that? Well wasn't there a boycott for this last season? So, maybe it worked and depressed participation. And this is WG's response. Maybe a case of be careful what you wish for, you may get it.

I wish that the Devs would try to come up with a new model for Clan Battles.  The current one feels pretty stale to me.  Regardless of tier, the battles feel the same.  The meta only changes slightly to accommodate the different ships (and their capabilities) at different tiers. 

Here are some ideas, though I can't speak to their quality.

1. Try to force clans and players to use different ships, so that CBs don't seem like you're bringing the exact same ships to the battles, battle after battle, ad nauseum.  This could probably be accomplished in a number of ways.  For example, if your ship is sunk, then perhaps there should be a "repair" period (or a cooldown period) that blocks that ship from being used in CBs.  It might be as low as 1 hour.  But just enough to get you into a different ship.

Or it might even not require you to be sunk.  It could be ... play ship A in a battle, and then the ship goes on cooldown for an hour, so you have to play ship B, and you have to rotate through a number of ships.

Or perhaps have an Axis vs Allies theme for what ships the clan has to choose from on a given night.  (Note that CBs rental ships should be selected by the devs to make certain that there's always a appropriate ship available.)

Anyways, the idea would be to try to break the meta of only a handful of ships being good enough to be selected for CBs.

2. Maybe have a season of CBs that goes with smaller teams, say somewhere around 3-5 ships.  Yes, this would be good for smaller clans, but it would also be good for larger clans that might easily have enough for one team, but find forming a  second team iffy.

3. Maybe have try a format where a "clan war" is a best 2 out of 3 battles.

Anyways, I'm sure that there are other ideas for things to freshen up CBs that could enhance participation.

• Cool 1

[FOXEH]
Banned
14,364 posts
20,818 battles
21 minutes ago, AJTP89 said:

So my guess on why they would do this is to increase participation in CBs. Why might they want to do that?

1). Because they've run clan battles poorly since it's inception, giving it bad hours of play for players in some regions, especially the west.

2). Because, depending on the tier, the same ships are used by most teams, and any clan which doesn't have access to those ships starts out behind the 8-ball. It would be different if ships which had been removed from the game were also removed from the clan battles, but I don't see that happening. So by now the entire mode is somewhat old and stale, and easily abused by players who have been active longer and have access to ships which were removed.

3). Clan battles, and ranked battles, have been losing participants ever since they were introduced. WGs attitude of not listening to input from their customers when it comes to feedback on different aspects of playing modes has caused player numbers to decrease every season. This was the reason steel currency was introduced and originally limited to CB and ranked players; WG needed their numbers boosted. This is just another gimmick to bring up player numbers, and I predict that the salt and venom over this, if it ever goes live, will be gigantic.

[DPG]
Members
2,085 posts
11,727 battles

I don't see small clans just looking to participate abusing this system.  I do see the hyper-competitive, win at all costs types doing so, and those clans are probably already at the top.  I could be wrong but haven't all of the CB scandals been perpetrated by high-level clans?  I don't recall any clans with 6 total players gaming the system.

• Cool 2

Members
4,636 posts
45,353 battles

I think it will be DOA. There are many possible loopholes that can be exploited. And clans are actually doing a version of this now. If the dates of battles are well known, then it's easy to recruit in ringers, then dump them after the event.

The only real way to curtail that is to have each member stay in their clan for 1 year to be eligible for CBs. And same time frame for eligibility of banked steel and coal at base. Sort of like partially vested and fully vested with investments.

That ends the shell game.

WG already came down hard on some clans for bad stuff. It's not even the middle act. 

Edited by SteelRain_Rifleman

[PQUOD]
[PQUOD]
Members
5,065 posts
19,384 battles

I personally don’t have a issue with it, at least once to see how it goes. I had a friend suggest to me the idea of ally clans. I passed it along as a suggestion to the admin. I never heard anything back, however others must have asked for this to happen.

One of our ally clans (off site third party affiliation. Nothing sanctioned by WoW’s.) Is a small clan, they have trouble getting a team together. If ally clans was allowed we could put a coalition team together and they could join us.

We are a casual Storm league clan. If the issue of the competitive leagues of Typhoon and Hurricane will have abuse by this. Why not put a cap of Squall, Gale, and Storm. After reaching Typhoon and Hurricane, no mercenary CB teams allowed?

Edited by Capt_Ahab1776

Beta Testers
1,830 posts
7 hours ago, Crucis said:

1. Try to force clans and players to use different ships, so that CBs don't seem like you're bringing the exact same ships to the battles, battle after battle, ad nauseum.  This could probably be accomplished in a number of ways.  For example, if your ship is sunk, then perhaps there should be a "repair" period (or a cooldown period) that blocks that ship from being used in CBs.  It might be as low as 1 hour.  But just enough to get you into a different ship.

I would like to see it like Tanks (at least how tanks used to be, its been a while) where if your ship gets destroyed in a clan battle, that particular ship is locked out for 5 days or so. I enjoyed the variety and challenge both as a player and caller with this restriction in Tanks.

[--K--]
Supertester
1,577 posts
15,279 battles
1 hour ago, Dareios said:

I would like to see it like Tanks (at least how tanks used to be, its been a while) where if your ship gets destroyed in a clan battle, that particular ship is locked out for 5 days or so. I enjoyed the variety and challenge both as a player and caller with this restriction in Tanks.

I don't see how that could work here. Or how it worked in WoT, even with more tank lines I could see running out of tanks to play after a night or two. 

Beta Testers
1,830 posts
5 hours ago, GandalfTehGray said:

I don't see how that could work here. Or how it worked in WoT, even with more tank lines I could see running out of tanks to play after a night or two. 

1) you were locked out only if your tank was destroyed, and most winning games only lost a couple of tanks, leaving the rest to continue on.

2) most competetive clans had a dozen or more Tier 10s per player

3) WG also gives us three rentals for TX CW, in case you run out.

4) I'd like an excuse to play more of my 38 ships that I dont have time or inclination to play now.

Members
7,122 posts
22,658 battles
15 hours ago, Nikolay_Kuznetsov_ said:

In other words, we throw a half baked idea out there, let our player base refine it, fix it...do all the work,  and then we implement it.

[BEA5T]
Members
5,282 posts
23,920 battles
15 hours ago, Crucis said:

Many of us were in those small clans and we had no way to participate.  We were asking for years.  Now, a great many of those small clans players left the game........  But, change takes a while it seems and this Mercenary mode will, if implemented without serious controls, will drive even more players away.

14 hours ago, Crucis said:

I wish that the Devs would try to come up with a new model for Clan Battles.  The current one feels pretty stale to me.  Regardless of tier, the battles feel the same.  The meta only changes slightly to accommodate the different ships (and their capabilities) at different tiers. 

Here are some ideas, though I can't speak to their quality.

Or it might even not require you to be sunk.  It could be ... play ship A in a battle, and then the ship goes on cooldown for an hour, so you have to play ship B, and you have to rotate through a number of ships.

Or perhaps have an Axis vs Allies theme for what ships the clan has to choose from on a given night.  (Note that CBs rental ships should be selected by the devs to make certain that there's always a appropriate ship available.)

Anyways, the idea would be to try to break the meta of only a handful of ships being good enough to be selected for CBs.

2. Maybe have a season of CBs that goes with smaller teams, say somewhere around 3-5 ships.  Yes, this would be good for smaller clans, but it would also be good for larger clans that might easily have enough for one team, but find forming a  second team iffy.

3. Maybe have try a format where a "clan war" is a best 2 out of 3 battles.

Anyways, I'm sure that there are other ideas for things to freshen up CBs that could enhance participation.

YES !  Status quo is terrible.....

Another idea is a RNG draw of ships by class and tier.....  In other words, the game sets a theme and a spread of levels......  That is posted and each team is forced to align to that theme....  IOW, as an example:  "Meeting engagement", SAG only (no subs no carriers - 9x9 - Tiers 5 through 7):   heavy DD screen tier 5 (5 each - Tech Tree Only), one Battle cruiser tier 6 (any BC),  CA/CL tiers 7 (3 each - TT only).....   Mix it up for heavens sake.....  If that clan lacks a forced requirement............................you guessed it, a mercenary can fill that slot. 

[SALVO]
Members
26,304 posts
30,265 battles
1 hour ago, Asym_KS said:

1. Many of us were in those small clans and we had no way to participate.  We were asking for years.  Now, a great many of those small clans players left the game........  But, change takes a while it seems and this Mercenary mode will, if implemented without serious controls, will drive even more players away.

2. YES !  Status quo is terrible.....

Another idea is a RNG draw of ships by class and tier.....  In other words, the game sets a theme and a spread of levels......  That is posted and each team is forced to align to that theme....  IOW, as an example:  "Meeting engagement", SAG only (no subs no carriers - 9x9 - Tiers 5 through 7):   heavy DD screen tier 5 (5 each - Tech Tree Only), one Battle cruiser tier 6 (any BC),  CA/CL tiers 7 (3 each - TT only).....   Mix it up for heavens sake.....  If that clan lacks a forced requirement............................you guessed it, a mercenary can fill that slot. 

1. I don't know if Mercs will drive away players, though if there aren't,  as you put it, "serious controls", it could be rife with abuse, which yes, could anger regular players.

I still say that small clans should look to merge with other small clans to create larger clans, if they want to become large enough to consistently have enough players for CBs.

2. What you suggest here isn't entirely horrible, though I profoundly disagree with any limitation that prevents people from using their premium ships.  And IMO, that sort of limitation would anger players more than mercs would, and absolutely cause many clans to refuse to participate in CBs, if not quit the game completely.

• Boring 1

[SALVO]
Members
26,304 posts
30,265 battles
9 hours ago, Dareios said:

5 days is too long.  I think that maybe 2 hours would be enough.  

Also, in Tanks, clans  were so large that if a member of the current team lost a preferred tank, you could often just ask if anyone who was waiting to play had the preferred tank available.

Vehicle locking is an interesting idea that can be one way to force greater variety in the vehicles played.  But at the same time, it can make things harder on clans of relative newbies who may be lucky to have only a single tier 10.   That said, I think that if rentals couldn't be locked, it'd be one way to make sure that there was always a backup plan for players who don't have deep ports.

• Cool 1