You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Hapa_Fodder

World of Warships birthday and you

56 comments in this topic

[D-H-O]
-Members-
4,756 posts
15,607 battles

Aloha,

During your time playing World of Warships, what was a moment that stood out for you as a positive memorable one?

For me, TBH, it was when I applied for Alpha testing and was approved and then loaded up the game for the first time! How amazing I thought World of Warships considering I was teaching Naval History and ship handling to young Sailors!

Mahalo,

-Hapa

• Cool 4
  • Boring 1

[HINON]
Alpha Tester
25,766 posts
21,666 battles

My first match in Tirpitz after it was released, torpedoing a Shimakaze that tried to ambush me.

• Cool 1
  • Funny 3
  • Boring 1

[PVE]
Members
11,069 posts
19,170 battles

When I quit selling and started collecting ships, basically the first Armada sale.

Edited by Sovereigndawg
  • Cool 1

Beta Testers
271 posts
9,695 battles

I was born and raised in Worcester, Massachusetts.  The summer we got both the Worcester and the Mass was pretty great for me!

• Cool 1

[MUDDX]
Banned
429 posts
1,111 battles

This is for my good friend @CAPTMUDDXX since he is prohibited here. Not long after finding WoT 10 years ago and WoWp a few years later he was thrilled to learn WG was working on a title World of Battleships. If it was anything like the other 2 games it would fill the bill for a game he and his wargaming buddies had wanted since their Atari 800 days. Getting in on the Beta testing proved this to be that game. 

Since then in 2015 playing WoWs has been a thrill in every match.

I am glad he got me interested in WoWs and feel the same.

• Thanks 1

[KWF]
Members
6,361 posts
7,145 battles

For me it has to be the moment immediately after the CBT progress wipe and the switch to OBT with everyone starting over.

A relatively small but skilled playerbase where politeness and friendly competitiveness were the norm at all tiers.

• Cool 4

[-AF-]
Beta Testers
817 posts
10,856 battles

Having played in beta and being frustrated because my old pc kept depicting my ship as sailing into the side of the map while all other ships were invisible, I all but stopped playing this game. 

Later I got a newer pc but still played only a battle here or there, maybe every couple of months but really wasn't interested.    But then the memorable moment was seeing on the WGC the Texas and Graf Spee were available for $9.99 and darn if they didn't look attractively priced and cool as heck!  That was what lured me into playing WoWs as a regular entertainment choice. 

• Cool 1

[NGA-B]
[NGA-B]
Beta Testers
198 posts
11,048 battles

Got my Smolensk just before it was pulled from the Armory.  Used some steel to get me over the top.  First game out - used my best Russian CA captain and went to town. Highest HP score to date - 193K.  Was spamming HE from behind an island all day long at BBs who couldn't see me. I can see why this ship is so hated and OP.  Didn't seem fair...for the other team.  I couldn't believe the number of fires I was racking up with almost impunity.  I was actually laughing at the absurdity of it all.  I have thousands of games under my belt but this one I definitely remember.

• Cool 1
  • Meh 1

[DARTH]
[DARTH]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
133 posts
14,222 battles

I recieved an Atlanta early on, before other ATs had a chance to buy it. Every game other Captains simply marveled at the fires it created. Good fun!! 

Started as a Alpha Tester Aug 12, 2012 

I got a screenshot of a Tirpitz launching torps, rumor had it that this new BB had torps but no one had confirmed it until I got the sreenshot and posted it.

Happy Birthday WOWS!!

• Cool 1

[WOLF8]
Members
738 posts
9,614 battles

When I realized I actually had just gotten a Solo Warrior achievement :Smile_medal:...also my 1st Kracken which seemed like it took forever to get.  So many times I had the 4 kills and was so close to getting #5, when either the game ended or someone stole my kill :Smile_izmena:  (I kid, I don't believe in kill steals).

Edited by Slammer58
  • Cool 1

Members
4,636 posts
45,353 battles

"It was the best of times and the worst of times." A Tale of Two CVs.

I have had some moments, in the game, and at an event.

You might say, I have no regrets and I keep sailing.

One moment in time, can and will, change your destiny.

My first Kraken in my Hakuryu during rework. For that one brief moment, I was the greatest pilot you ever saw.

My Colorado in a Randoms match just about a month or so after I got it, I Kraken in it in what one player said in the match was the greatest performance they ever saw.

That time I plunged an impossible to do shell from my Mutsu into a Mutsu at max spot range and get a citadel detonation. This was start of match. The players there probably think I am a BB god. Pray that they are not right. LOL

Those times in my Kii that looked like I was a leaf in the wind. You could see the cherry blossoms fall after I sank a ship.

That one time I blind fired all my torps in a Fujin, sank two, got devstrike twice and double strike, and first blood. Back then, that was the triple crown.

One notable event, I can't fully explain or describe. But it happened on BB35. And that is all I will say on that 😎

The day I got Ohio, citadeled GKs and Freddy's from 23km with AP. BB god confirmed.

If it's impossible, WG has yet to keep me from doing it. Maybe rephrase to improbable. Because I do that .001% thing once in a while. 

Seeing a CV called Rhein be introduced in game. "Here falls the Rain 🌧️"

WG naming a campaign Steel Monsters.

There are more, but I am cutting down on wall of text.

• Cool 1

[USCC]
Members
3,254 posts
15,223 battles

For me it was a long time ago, I had just dipped my toes into random battles, and the first battle achievement I won was first blood,
I was so shocked I heard that voice "You're off to a great start"
I was literally thrilled.

ah so many matches ago.

• Cool 1

[-VT-]
Members
375 posts
17,574 battles

Sept 2017 ,Playing a Dunkirque with two of my new clanmates in a division at 2 am. Down 4 ships we managed to pull it out at the end.

• Cool 1

[TSF]
Beta Testers
422 posts
15,912 battles

As a naval history buff, I had played NF (in spite of all the problems) for the 5 years after beta. I finally gave up and joined them when many of my Red Sky clan moved to WOT. My high point at WOWS was when I got into CBT. Although limited by vision, multitasking and reaction time issues, I love the game, and have played every night since then for a couple of hours. While this game is far from perfect, it was much better in CBT than NF was after 5 years.

• Cool 1

Members
448 posts
16,576 battles

My brother started me in WoT, as he had played for years and had become the leader of his clan, and thought I'd like the game.  I tried it, and thought it was fun, but I didn't like getting caught up in the use of gold ammo, etc.  Then he and a clan mate said WoWs was coming out, and recommended I apply for the Beta Testing.  I didn't think I'd be accepted, but I was.  It was quite interesting and a lot more fun than tanks were, at that stage in my learning process.  I slowly kept playing and learning, and although I'm still a below 50% player, I really enjoy the game.  My first premium was the Tirpitz, and the 3 of us would division on a few nights playing T8 (which was way above me at the time; I was probably at T5 or T6 then), but had some success and the game kept sucking me in (sorta like golf, when you hit those 2 or 3 great shots in a round that keeps you coming back to play again).  Still playing 5 years and 300 some odd ships later (without my brother and clan mate who have disappeared from WoWs for the most part).

Edited by chrisope
Corrected the first sentence
  • Cool 1

[ARC]
Members
1,077 posts
11,580 battles

I heard of the game before it went live, but I was still a student back then. Decided that I would wait until the game went live and download then.

My memorable moment, definitely, was the first grindy event that I remember was pushed into the game: Project R. I was a newbie then, and decided that I would sacrifice playing any other game to get that little shiny premium ship then. The pearl system was great, the grind was demanding but not over the top, and the end reward was that little demon retired from sale and now forced to rust in port until somehow better times come. Getting Kamikaze R was great, and I think that sensation of accomplishment is what made me remain here for so long. 

Other event that marked me was the Hunt for Graf Spee. My laptop was too old to keep playing the game then (it only had 2 GB Ram and a Pentium processor, with more than 5 years on its shoulders), so I played Coop only. I managed to get Graf Spee and all the ARP ships that were offered in different missions at the same time, all while only playing some 3 hours at night. I still wonder how the hell did I manage that. Just after that I got my current laptop as a reward, and have kept playing Ships until now.

I wish you all guys Happy Anniversary, and long life to the game. Obviously while correcting what is done wrong and keep doing what is done right. This is probably the game I have played the most in my life (5 years almost continuous), so I can only wish you the best.

Edited by hanesco
  • Cool 1

[TDR]
[TDR]
Members
1,185 posts
12,724 battles

When I first got Hindenburg and was in a no dd match. Came around an island to find a yammy to my left and an Iowa to my right. I split the middle and emptied both racks from both sides. If this one isn’t top for me it’s easily in the top 5

• Cool 1

Members
1,036 posts

hunt for bismark campaign ..i wasnt going to be denied this ship and stayed up all night ..i played and played for days and stayed up all night sometimes ..i became an intense player after that and never looked back...this has never been matched by wows for me again 

• Cool 1

[WULUF]
[WULUF]
Members
1,457 posts

Honestly, this wasn't so long ago.... getting my T9 Jean Bart... I  loved the ship so much that I purchased a 10 point captain (Golden Koning) and played it so much that I got him to a 19 pointer in no time...

That was when I seriously learnt how to play... he was my 1st 19 point captain and has since helped me get many more... the ship has over 5 million ship XP...

That was a very proud day for me.

Edited by kiwi1960
  • Cool 2

[WOBB]
Members
84 posts
2,212 battles

My most memorable moment was seeing the Montana in my port for the first time. 

Second is definitely scoring 300k+ damage in my Yamato. 

I look forward to the havoc that can be wrought with the Vermont. 

• Cool 2

[-REK-]
[-REK-]
Members
77 posts
20,438 battles

I remember when this game entered Alpha testing i wanted so bad to get in being a Sailor and knowing Naval history, i waited and waited for that email that never came, then i received news Beta opened and i dropped WOT like it was hot tator cause that game kept dropping offline at start, in battle, sitting in garage, just logging in and the support staff yeah not going there (to this day it still does same thing) and community over there was salt on an open wound. Beta was kinda boring playing COOP, but hey it was still in a testing phase. Then the news hit of the official opening of the game and the launch was a birthday gift to me Sept 13. Being the game was officially launched on September 17, 2015. So every wows anniversary is kinda special in it's own way. WOWS is now 5 yrs old and i'm turning 50, and i'm looking forward to many more with WOWS!

Let us "Never Forget, 9-11"

Edited by ChiefEngineman
  • Cool 1

[CAAT]
Members
1,657 posts
4,986 battles

A memorable moment for me? Ohhh, there are so many! But I think when I FINALLY got to Yamato, she was my FIRST ever Tier X ship, and it's a ship I still adore and use today! Getting Krakens is ALWAYS memorable, of course, but I remember this time in Ranked Battles where we were down by both ships and points (no way we were winning), this Kremlin actually came to me from behind the island close and BROADSIDE and I (in Yamato) actually sank it (citadels!), and I got the team to push behind me to secure that cap point and total victory! And then there was the time recently when I was in Massachusetts in Ranked, and a Monarch passed THIS close, like literally his bow was mere millimeters from my stern, trying to ram, and I somehow kited him, sank a DD nearby with my secondaries, sank Monarch eventually, and then came about to sink Kaga for the win and the Kraken! Oh, and I personally love the anime collabs, they're always a high point for me! LOVED the National Voiceover+ rework, as well. For all the bad stuff that's happened recently in WoWs (Puerto Rico event, CV rework, current state of AA, Russian bias OP paper ships, too many paper ships in general, CALIFORNIA'S RELOAD NERF), there is still lots of good as well, imo. World of Warships is definitely very enjoyable! ~-~º(^v^)ºv~-~

• Cool 2

[WOLFG]
Members
150 posts
11,564 battles

My absolute favourite memory was early on, before friendly fire was nerfed. Since I didn’t know what I was doing, I was camping in smoke in a USN DD. Suddenly I was swamped with torps, but at the end of the day the Tirpitz and Atago coming after me killed each other. A complete wth moment.

Edited by pallas_2
  • Cool 1

[ALLY]
Members
400 posts
21,334 battles

To all:

I have two memories that stick out as proud achievements and memories.  My first is when I was playing ranked in my Yamato.  I was having a very good game with 3 kills.  There was a cruiser from our side and a DD from the enemy team on Mountain Range map.  We were heading North after capping C and the cruiser did not want to lead so I took the lead.  The DD was low and I was aiming at a BB at A.  The DD appeared to my right and the cruiser stated in chat "I got it". He missed it.  The DD was low on health though and my secondaries killed him and I got 2 cits on the BB at A getting Kraken.  I also got a Dreadnaught award .  I ended up with 4 achievements and top of the leader board.  That was when I started to become a better player.  I still have a lot to learn.

The second memory was when we had a new player in our clan.  We divisioned up and went in a T3 division.  We were up against T4s.  The rest of the team rushed in and all died.  It was 12 against 3.  Two of us died, but we won.  We accounted for all the kills.  Two of us got Kraken.  I know it was a low tier match and many people would call it seal clubbing, but it was the greatest comeback I have personally seen in the game.

Oh and one for good measure.  I am from and currently live in Missouri.  I remember saving up 500k free xp to get the Mighty MO and then it turned out to be 1 million free XP.  I just kept saving up and got it.  It was not when it first came out, but I got it well before they pulled the plug on it.  Even though I do not perform great in it, I love that ship and it will forever be in my port as long as I am playing the game.

C130 signing out

• Cool 2

Members
877 posts
6,656 battles

Three for me.

1) When I got my Furutaka.  She was my first T5 anything, and I suddenly realized I could participate in events.  I'd really wanted to make progress on event objectives (which require T5+ ships), so I played a lot of hours in her.  I wasn't surprised that all the stuff I learned becoming good in her paid off pretty much everywhere else.

2) This one is a bit odd, but my lead captain in my Ibuki.  I don't play as much as others, and I only play Coop, which pretty much guarantees that XP doesn't come quickly, but my Ibuki captain is 15pts and halfway to 16 right now.  What makes him special is that I've promoted him through every single IJN cruiser I've had since we started getting access to them in game (since my T3 Tenryu) meaning he started at 0pts.  His progress has basically been mine throughout.  (while I do have other tech trees in play, the IJN tree is the most fleshed out)

EDIT: Had to edit this.  Mr. Fujioka was a full level higher than I'd given him credit for, which makes the fact that he's grown from 0pts Level 0 captain to Level 15 (with now just over 120k pts) all the more interesting.

3) Every single freakin' time I finish a collection.  I don't spend a lot of money on this game as evidenced by the fact that I've been playing almost 3 years and my highest ship is T9 and with 78 ships so far (sadly, sold a lot of the early tier ships because I couldn't afford port slots), only 4 of them are premium ships not related to event rewards, so finishing a collection is a sort of mile-marker in itself.

Edited by JAKeller
Had to fix Captain's actual exp level.
  • Cool 2