You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Herms

Best tier to Learn PVP

21 comments in this topic

Members
8 posts
3,046 battles

Hi, I usually play Co-op, and would like to try some Pvp. Should I start at tier 5 or lower?

Thanks.

[WOLF3]
Members
30,999 posts
26,056 battles

IMO, start as low as possible and work your way up.  You gradually get introduced to increasingly more dangerous threats, i.e. ships with improved capabilities.  Once you feel comfortable with a tier, then move up.

By all means, you can start at Tier V if you want, but it's a rude awakening if you've never done much of PVP.

Don't be surprised if your marksmanship is bad for a while.  Players can and will engage at range and make you work in hitting them, compared to Co-op bots that charge right at you, even the DDs.  Unfortunately there's no way to get better at PVP marksmanship other than through PVP itself.  Training Room, Operations, Co-op Bot AI isn't quite up to the task in preparing you for hitting WASD HACKING players that are trying not to get hit.

If you got questions, feel free to ask around the boards.  If you're encountering problems in battles that you can't figure out, feel free to make a thread and attach your replay for players to critique.

There's also something I started to ask myself when I wanted to get better in the game:  When you do get rekt (everybody does eventually, repeatedly), ask yourself what you did, or what you failed to do that led you to getting beaten.  Yes, your opponents can outplay you.  Yes, your opponents can get lucky.  But I found often enough, your own actions did the most in determining getting yourself into big trouble.

Some people never want to admit they did something stupid to put themselves on a silver platter for the enemy player(s) to punish them harshly.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway
  • Cool 2

[CO-OP]
Members
3,448 posts
30,222 battles
3 minutes ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

IMO, start as low as possible and work your way up.  You gradually get introduced to increasingly more dangerous threats, i.e. ships with improved capabilities.  Once you feel comfortable with a tier, then move up.

By all means, you can start at Tier V if you want, but it's a rude awakening if you've never done much of PVP.

Don't be surprised if your marksmanship is bad for a while.  Players can and will engage at range and make you work in hitting them, compared to Co-op bots that charge right at you, even the DDs.  Unfortunately there's no way to get better at PVP marksmanship other than through PVP itself.  Training Room, Operations, Co-op Bot AI isn't quite up to the task in preparing you for hitting WASD HACKING players that are trying not to get hit.

^^This.  I would recommend starting at tier 2.  At tiers 3+ you start to see CVs, and and most low tier ships (tier 3 and 4) have little AA.

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester
28,341 posts
14,924 battles

Since you have more random matches by a good margin in DD's tier 2 is the best place and you won't see CV's.

• Cool 1

[AP]
Members
1,373 posts
19,363 battles

every tier has its own meta, there's not a "good training tier"

what you learn at T10 might kill you at T2, vice versa

just pick any ship you like and hit battle

Members
8 posts
3,046 battles

Thanks guys, I think I will start at tier 2 just to warm up, then use my higher tier ships once I get use to it.

[1984]
Members
4,482 posts
21,506 battles
3 hours ago, Herms said:

Hi, I usually play Co-op, and would like to try some Pvp. Should I start at tier 5 or lower?

Thanks.

Tier 1 and move your way up. These days they fill tier 1 with bots, so you know that. Focus on targeting the human players on the red team, and be advised there are some sharks down there with 5-10k games exclusively in tier 1. I would honestly work your way up because everyone else will be learning as well (for the most part). If you jump into tier 5 and up you will face an ever increasing number of experienced players making the learning process that much more difficult.

• Cool 1

[1984]
Members
4,482 posts
21,506 battles
15 hours ago, Herms said:

Thanks guys, I think I will start at tier 2 just to warm up, then use my higher tier ships once I get use to it.

check this dude out:

image.thumb.png.384246e843472411b438f0b490d9c98d.png

these dudes are running rpf at tier 1, 19pt commanders of course lol. trust me, get in low, it teaches

Edited by monpetitloup
  • Cool 1

Members
518 posts
17,844 battles

PVE plays opposite of pvp and is arcade like because everyone rushes in. Its a shooter game. PVP is far more strategic and chess like, if you are in a shoot out brawl in the first 4 minutes you have done it wrong.  

What are your goals? To win 50% or to make things go bang?

To win more, play low tiers first, several games at T3,  It wont take long to be ready for T4. At that point you will have a real mixture of new/bad players that either get sunk early or hide the whole game and snipe from the back. You will find some excellent players at T4 that have dropped in. Play a bunch at T4.  

Using a higher tier ship means higher tier opponents, it cures nothing and usually teaches bad habits.

Members
4,168 posts
14,859 battles

Tiers 5/6/7.

Below that, you really will only learn the basics of how this game functions. Because of the mechanics, it often teaches you bad habits.

Tiers >8, are a tad too brutal unless you are highly observant and learn from mistakes quickly.

I only recommend lower than T5 for learning if you are absolutely brand new to gaming or shooting games. 

• Cool 1

[FAE]
Members
2,625 posts
3,677 battles

Mix of t4 and t5. 5 is hard. You’ll sometimes face 7?  But you’ll feel like a real warship with contributions. 
t4 is a problem cuz it encourages suicidal play (esp for dds) but it’s more fun than t5 

also nowadays t4 has too many cvs. 

• Cool 1

[SYN]
Members
15,971 posts
12,803 battles

each tier has a slightly different meta, so just play whatever tier you want to play.

• Cool 1

[TDRB]
Members
5,327 posts
13,743 battles
19 hours ago, Herms said:

Thanks.

I would suggest playing some ops as well. Where coops are more of a race to see who can do the most damage & sink the most ships the quickest. Ops require using skills that improve your PVP play as well.

Of course AI can't mimic the unpredictability of a live player. But you do learn positioning, have greater opportunity for gunnery practice, team play is also important in ops. These & more improve your PVP or they did mind.

Good DD players are an asset to Ops teams.

DD's are the most difficult to play in PVP, BB's the easiest. You seem to like cruisers the best in coops, you may enjoy them in PVP.

Banned
1,684 posts

If stats don't bother you pick your best ship that you are good with.

PVP has  maps that play better than others if you learn where the key points are and how to exploit them.

Pay attention to the mini map but keep a keen eye on the horizon.

Don't rush in the live players will kill you dead. { You become the bot from coop}

You will lose more in PVP when you first start.... learn why you lost and fix what you did wrong.{ ASAP }

I was a 48% er in PVP so I don't know how to play in the eyes of all those above my % rate.

I suggest you HIDE your stats before you enter PVP to save the snide remarks in game chat.

I play Co-Op only now, the relaxation factor is the reason I play Co-Op.

WG has let this game go to a new low every update since 0.8.0 { my opinion}

Just have fun as best you can is all I really can say with confidence about PVP.

• Cool 1

[SIDE]
Members
4,939 posts

Haze covered it pretty well. I'd stay low tier and try a hundred or so games in a variety of different ships from each of the 3 surface ship types. We are a lot more aggressive in PVP and some of us, well a handful anyway, are better than the bots you see in PVE. 

• Cool 1

[SALVO]
Members
8,304 posts
6,174 battles
19 hours ago, Herms said:

Thanks.

T4 is usually the first "real" tier

• Cool 1

[CHBK]
Members
1,042 posts
3,975 battles

Hope there is no seal clubbers.  I jump down to T5 for fun every now and again.  In BB's I probably average a dev strike a game.  There is almost always cruiser players that give you easy broadside.

Edited by Taco_De_Moist
  • Cool 1

[WPORT]
Members
9,942 posts
14,430 battles

Co-op games are wonderful places to learn how to do the most damage to ships in the quickest amount of time.  It can be like a "feeding frenzy" of cooperation to sink red ships, on a good day.

Random battles are often said to be "tactical" or "strategic" or "<insert adjective that makes us look cool here>".
Random battles are often filled with cautious players who trade time and position for results and take few risks.
Alternatively, random battles are full of chickens who are afraid to get their ship's paint scratched.  Bunch of island-camping pansies who kite-away at the first sign of a red-team push and then whine, "I need intelligence data".  ;-)

I play all ship types and the only battle type I haven't played (yet) is Clan Battles.

I'm using some hyperbole to make some comparisons.  ;-)

There are ways to play smart in Co-op and in Random battles.
Each battle mode offers lessons and wisdom, but the lessons and wisdom are not always compatible with both modes.
One kind-of has to flip a mental "switch" and adjust their play style to suit the battle-mode they're playing in.

When I want some fun, I play low-tier DD's in co-op or random battles.

When I want to earn credits and XP, I tend to play random battles in the highest tier that I'm in the mood for at the moment.

For a change of pace and to earn credits & XP, Scenario Operations offer a nice blend of action and tactical challenges.

For relaxation, I play in Co-op games in whatever tier I'm in the mood for.

When I want to "test my mettle" and "bring my A-game", I play ranked battles.  They're intense and educational, and it is fun to play with everyone else who is doing their best.  

Members
948 posts
22 hours ago, jason199506 said:

every tier has its own meta, there's not a "good training tier"

what you learn at T10 might kill you at T2, vice versa

just pick any ship you like and hit battle

Bingo.  Start where you like and just play. 

[GOCRY]
Members
971 posts

Tiers 2-4 are full of bots in random battles these days. You don’t get lineups full of actual people until Tier 5.  This is based on my admittedly anecdotal, recent experience grinding some new lines.  So my advice is to start at tier 5, even if it is a bit brutal at first.  Don’t get down on yourself if your WR is low at first. Just chalk it up to a learning experience and move on to the next game.

• Thanks 1

[GOCRY]
Members
971 posts

I’m going to contradict myself.  Since the new campaign was introduced, there are a lot more players playing on lower tiers, and it’s not so bad.