You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
NoZoupForYou

Iowa (and other tech Tree) Ships in Ranked - Do you Use them?

17 comments in this topic

Members
1,691 posts
7,353 battles

I decided to jump on my RU press account to play more sprint since I missed it.  I decided to play Iowa rather than premium ships as a challenge to determine if its viable.  This was my result of the first round.  Are you playing a tech tree ship?  How have you fared?  Interested to know.

[EQRN]
Members
2,240 posts
20,520 battles

I ground out the Jutland for Ranked - was very fun.  

Tried the Lion - disaster.  I ended up FXPing past it.  I ground through pre buff Izumo and FdG, but the Lion broke me, what a PoS.

Sov Soyuz did well, but the constant stream of Pommerns (press w 3 times, torp to your left, torp to your right, ram, win) made it not as fun as the Jutland.

The other T9s I had for grinding I think would do better in Randoms.

[TCCN]
Members
100 posts
10,008 battles

Ranked out in the Kitakaze which almost doesn't count. Saw a lot of FDGs doing well.

[UNHLY]
Members
5,055 posts
14,151 battles

During the t9 season last February, I played Iowa  up to about rank 11 or thereabouts, and enjoyed it quite a bit. Of course, that was partly because Iowa the only t9 I had, but I still did at least decently. 

I just starts playing this sprint season yesterday, but this time I’m playing almost entirely Georgia and Alaska for the accuracy, as well as the speed boost and fast cooldown heal on Georgia. Plus both of them have 19 point captains so I can farm elite commander xp in them. In my games yesterday, I did see a lot of premiums (mostly Georgia, Alaska, and Pommern), but there were still a fair number of tech tree ships (FdG in most battles, some Kitas and Jutlands, and a Soyuz in two of them). If you know what you’re doing, you can probably still do well in even not-quite-meta tech tree ships up to the high ranks, but past that the meta definitely becomes more of a thing. 

[SALVO]
Members
3,503 posts
7,388 battles
31 minutes ago, NoZoupForYou said:

Are you playing a tech tree ship?  How have you fared? 

I only played 1 ranked game in the Kitakaze.  Which was lots of fun.  If you look at the WR charts on WoWs numbers  especially when it comes to DDs the Tech tree variants are doing just fine. 

[BUOY]
Members
1,338 posts
16,872 battles

Good silver T9's I've seen

BB: FdG: Actually has a decent main battery while Pommern relies on torp memes.

Soyuz: Tough and accurate.

CA: Seattle: The maps are a harem of island waifu's and so the Seattle can actually do well if there's a semblance of teamwork.

DD's: All silver DD's are viable, although of course the Kitikaze & Jutland are gonna be the most consistent.

====

That said, people play premium T9's over silver because you literally go from the worst ships economy wise even with a permaflage (seriously, silver T9's are designed to get you to convert FXP to T10) to the best.

[-K-]
[-K-]
Members
5,878 posts
22,438 battles

Tech tree ships are great to play in Ranked and Sprint. Not only are they viable, but you can double-count for economic gain, which really changes the focus and feel of the season to something less hair-loss-inducing.

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
30,919 posts
26,019 battles

Generally Tier IX isn't a nice spot for most tech tree ships.  Ranked Sprint 13 didn't change any of that.

On NA Server:

5 of the 10 most popular ships are Premium Ships, with Georgia and Pommern leading the way by a huge margin.  11.6% and 11.1% respectively.  Next closest is Alaska at 7.4%, another Premium.  Most played Tech Tree Ship was FDG at 6.6%.  Kitakaze only did 6%.

But WR%?  Lopsided.

Of the 17 ships with 52% or higher WR%, 13 of them are Premium Ships.

I've long said the tiers below Tier X are really unbalanced, and Tier IX is one of the worst offenders.  It heavily skews towards Premiums.

RIP Normal Cruisers.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway

[WOLF9]
Members
118 posts
15,074 battles

I played my Buffalo almost exclusively this season.  It did surprisingly well brawling with other cruisers and BB's.  With the small maps it was easier to protect from broadside citadels.  Overall a fun season!

Members
1,578 posts
22,950 battles

Play it all, especially if its not supposed to do well in the meta. It is the ranked sprint tradition.

Edited by Alabamastan

[META_]
[META_]
Members
1,306 posts
2 hours ago, NoZoupForYou said:

I decided to jump on my RU press account to play more sprint since I missed it.  I decided to play Iowa rather than premium ships as a challenge to determine if its viable.  This was my result of the first round.  Are you playing a tech tree ship?  How have you fared?  Interested to know.

i used few times Georgia, sovietzkaya rossiya and 1 match with alaska.

Members
5,725 posts
11,155 battles

Started with the Izumo and did well for a day then ranked went to hell.  Tries the JB and not much better....THEN I remembered the..........Alsace and I fell in love with it all over again.

image.thumb.png.151ce39b4f6326ec823b338bbd7fb03a.png

and

image.thumb.png.61305e3b563db0da6bf3b4efc7abf745.png

Edited by CylonRed

[SAINT]
[SAINT]
Members
1,645 posts
18,994 battles

I only tried the Missouri (both losses but top of the team) and the Alaska which I ranked out in. Only saw a handful of Neptunes and Donskois that all died quickly or ran for their lives kiting, and dying tired. One or two Buffalos which lasted longer but if they tried to brawl also died quickly. The Seattles were a mix of island campers and foolish captains trying to pick off our team's destroyer, and dying easily in the attempt. Love the St. Louis but she is absolutely not a brawler. The only threat from Cruisers were from other Alaskas tbh but the Roon's torpedoes were an issue in one match.

For Battleships the few Alsaces I saw did well as did the Freddies. The Izumo is better at distance obviously so when it pushed it got ugly. I only saw two Iowas and they were both on the same team which was odd. We had a Pomeranian and a JB so that was a quick win after we nuked their Donskoi. I'm terrible at Destroyers so to me the successful ones depend more on their captain than the ship. 

Overall, the three versus three format was a lot of fun and I hope they run it again. Kudos WG for a fun Sprint!

kudos meme

Edited by Jolly_Rodgered

[THICC]
Beta Testers
1,100 posts
7,280 battles

I played almost all of my 3v3 games in Jutland or Kitakaze.  It went very well, I think the only premium tier 9 that was really strong was Pommern due to having hydro, torpedoes and good secondaries.

[TF-64]
Members
564 posts
20,560 battles

Used Alsace the most this sprint. Served quite well for me. I should have started with it earlier to get even further through its grind. Less than 100k xp before I'm able to get the next ship. Didn't potato hard enough and ranked out.