You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
EmeraldShard

Halland : Too Good?

26 comments in this topic

Members
9 posts
2,879 battles

Halland is pretty good, maybe a little too good. The ship is like a swiss army knife, it can do a lot, it has great torpedoes, good DPM Guns, Amazing AA, and decent concealment.  

The guns on the Halland are way to powerful for a destroyer that doesn't need to push early game with the 15km torpedoes, and the ship is pretty much untouchable by most carrier players in the first 5-10 minutes of the game. So when it comes time to actually push into caps you have full HP and Heals. The Halland also makes other, already powercrept DDs pretty much useless (Japanese Torp DDs, Pan Asian DDs).

The Halland needs to have its DPM nerfed or its concealment nerfed because without it the Halland is like a complete package and there would really be no reason to play any other Torpedo/Hybrid DD

• Cool 4
  • Meh 6

[SMOKD]
Members
48 posts
13,755 battles
3 minutes ago, EmeraldShard said:

Halland is pretty good, maybe a little too good. The ship is like a swiss army knife, it can do a lot, it has great torpedoes, good DPM Guns, Amazing AA, and decent concealment.  

The guns on the Halland are way to powerful for a destroyer that doesn't need to push early game with the 15km torpedoes, and the ship is pretty much untouchable by most carrier players in the first 5-10 minutes of the game. So when it comes time to actually push into caps you have full HP and Heals. The Halland also makes other, already powercrept DDs pretty much useless (Japanese Torp DDs, Pan Asian DDs).

The Halland needs to have its DPM nerfed or its concealment nerfed because without it the Halland is like a complete package and there would really be no reason to play any other Torpedo/Hybrid DD

Except it’s torps make a clown hammer squeaky noise when they hit. It’s slow, and has no smoke to disengage and can’t run from any gunboat DDs. 

It certainly has some big weaknesses that if you mess up you’re going back to port fairly quick. It’s a good DD for sure, but mistakes are punished heavily. 

• Cool 6
  • Boring 3

[GOB]
Members
2,736 posts
21 minutes ago, daikujin said:

Except it’s torps make a clown hammer squeaky noise when they hit. It’s slow, and has no smoke to disengage and can’t run from any gunboat DDs. 

It certainly has some big weaknesses that if you mess up you’re going back to port fairly quick. It’s a good DD for sure, but mistakes are punished heavily. 

112255.gif

• Cool 2
  • Boring 1

Members
58 posts
7,566 battles

Let’s examine the torps, reload time base 100 seconds 10700 damage,  87 knots 2x5 with dpm of (10700/100)*60= 64000 which puts it just about at grozovoi level with 67000.  Hallands torps have longer range and much faster speed.

Members
9 posts
2,879 battles
56 minutes ago, daikujin said:

True but you hit Halland torps way more often and they have a tight spread, the speed doesn't matter early game because of the 15km torps and disengaging can be easy with max concealment, dodging, and using repair party.

• Cool 1

[OIL-1]
Members
1,456 posts

Halland will be obsolete long before it becomes a problem. New gimmicks every day with this game.

• Boring 2

[KRAK]
Members
3,727 posts
22,437 battles
6 hours ago, EmeraldShard said:

True but you hit Halland torps way more often and they have a tight spread, the speed doesn't matter early game because of the 15km torps and disengaging can be easy with max concealment, dodging, and using repair party.

The torps have a tight spread because you are only going to do between 6000 and 9000 dmg per torp.  It takes 2 or 3 torps to kill even an enemy DD the vast majority of the time. A BB can eat 10 torps and still come away with 50 percent hull left or more after healing.

You do not even own a Halland so how is it you can make these determinations about how good it is?

Edited by Vaffu
  • Cool 2
  • Boring 1
  • Meh 1

[TNG]
Members
559 posts
11,852 battles
26 minutes ago, TorpedoBonk said:

Or, just maybe. You could try get better at countering them?? Just a thought.

Are you saying to.....just.....dodge?  

• Cool 2

[GOCRY]
Members
966 posts

So a DD is OP because it can reach a cap without losing HP?  :Smile_amazed:

As an aside, I actually really enjoy playing against Hallands. They are challenging without feeling like a pushover or an impossible task.

[TIAR]
[TIAR]
Beta Testers
1,604 posts
23,073 battles

The only good thing in Halland is AA while it lasts (after 1/2 attacks it's almost nonexistent).

Torps are really bad and guns are worse.

Speed & agility meh

• Meh 1

[Y0L0W]
Members
448 posts
9,702 battles
9 minutes ago, barbaroja_Ar said:

The only good thing in Halland is AA while it lasts (after 1/2 attacks it's almost nonexistent).

Torps are really bad and guns are worse.

Speed & agility meh

Yeah, this ain't it. The only thing you said that came close to be being correct was saying the AA was good.

I've never had issues with AA survivability unless I got slapped by Thunderer HE or something along those lines, which does not happen very often.

Individually, yes the torps are weak, but due to the high speed, tight spread, and long-range, you get many more torp hits per game than other DD's. (my overall torp hit percentage in DD"s is ~7%, I have 15% in Halland.)

IDK what you mean by the guns are bad. They certainly aren't Smaland/Friesland guns, but for a torp boat, they're pretty damn good. You outgun pretty much every other torpboat, and you have enough DPM to take down down other gunboats, even if they still have 50% health.

The speed is good enough for a torpboat, especially with flags and engine boost. Especially since Halland torps are actually still effective at longer ranges due to the super-fast speed. Agility isn't that much of an issue for me IMO, as i is sufficient for the low number of situations where it is needed. 

[SMOKD]
Members
48 posts
13,755 battles
8 hours ago, EmeraldShard said:

Disengaging is only easy if you stay at range. Everything at the tier can outrun you except for daring. Some cruisers and BBs at its tier spread can outrun it even. So are you saying you play yours at 8-10 km from any red ships then? That’s the only way you’re disengaging anything “easily” 

Yes it is a good ship, yes it’s a fun ship to play in the current meta. But it can’t do some things other ships can. And saying you hit halland torps more often is true but you aren’t getting dev strikes like you can in almost any other DD. As someone else said already it’s torp DPM is similar to groz torp DPM and almost no one considers groz to be a torp boat. 

[DOG]
Members
1,299 posts
13,475 battles
10 hours ago, EmeraldShard said:

It's a mixed bag:

Pluses:

• monster level AA
  • fast firing guns
  • very fast long range torpedoes
  • repair party

Minuses:

• only 4 guns, plus they're divided into only 2 turrets, meaning one disabled turret reduces firepower by half
  • torpedoes do about 1/3 to 1/2 the average damage of others at their tier
  • no smoke
  • mediocre concealment
  • slow

Also, testing is underway to nerf AA by causing it to gradually ramp up over the course of 7 seconds, as opposed to being at full strength the instant you turn it on.  This is a general nerf to AA, but affects mostly DDs, and is almost specifically tailored to nerf the Halland's ability to set up AA ambushes.

Edited by zubalkabir
  • Boring 1

[DVYJC]
Members
4,208 posts
10,812 battles
2 hours ago, Vaffu said:

You do not even own a Halland so how is it you can make these determinations about how good it is?

Um... because ships I don't own that have sunk me recently are OP, obviously.

If I owned them they'd be balanced.

The other thing about Halland is that her AA is a glass cannon. It is concentrated in a small number of very effective mounts, but like any other DD module, they're destroyed pretty easily. A smart CV who needs to kill a Halland will sacrifice half a rocket squad to land a good HE salvo and take half her AA away right there.

Edited by RainbowFartingUnicorn

[TIAR]
[TIAR]
Beta Testers
1,604 posts
23,073 battles
4 hours ago, SirPent13 said:

Yeah, this ain't it. The only thing you said that came close to be being correct was saying the AA was good.

I've never had issues with AA survivability unless I got slapped by Thunderer HE or something along those lines, which does not happen very often.

Individually, yes the torps are weak, but due to the high speed, tight spread, and long-range, you get many more torp hits per game than other DD's. (my overall torp hit percentage in DD"s is ~7%, I have 15% in Halland.)

IDK what you mean by the guns are bad. They certainly aren't Smaland/Friesland guns, but for a torp boat, they're pretty damn good. You outgun pretty much every other torpboat, and you have enough DPM to take down down other gunboats, even if they still have 50% health.

The speed is good enough for a torpboat, especially with flags and engine boost. Especially since Halland torps are actually still effective at longer ranges due to the super-fast speed. Agility isn't that much of an issue for me IMO, as i is sufficient for the low number of situations where it is needed. 

Still in tier 8 in live but tested it in PTS with a 19 pts captain.

my AA was destroyed in a gunfight with other DD. after that I was cannon fodder.

Did not find it as a good ship in any of the roles of a DD

[WOLFC]
Members
2,509 posts

Some of us use Torps to make people maneuver differently - create broadside opportunities, disrupt angle play etc. etc. 

If you only use Torps to make things go boom, you are not using them right.

• Cool 1

[Y0L0W]
Members
448 posts
9,702 battles
3 hours ago, barbaroja_Ar said:

Still in tier 8 in live but tested it in PTS with a 19 pts captain.

my AA was destroyed in a gunfight with other DD. after that I was cannon fodder.

Did not find it as a good ship in any of the roles of a DD

Please extrapolate on how it isn't a good ship in any of the roles of a DD? Halland is arguably the best torpedo boat DD in the game right now.

[-K-]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
7,916 posts
10,311 battles
18 hours ago, EmeraldShard said:

The Halland needs to have its DPM nerfed or its concealment nerfed

A person that has three (3) games in the entire IKEA DD line, and has almost as many reworked CVs battles as DD battles wishes to nerf Halland? How unexpected.

• Haha 1

[SYN]
[SYN]
Beta Testers
2,440 posts
14,158 battles
4 hours ago, Anonymous50 said:

Some of us use Torps to make people maneuver differently - create broadside opportunities, disrupt angle play etc. etc. 

If you only use Torps to make things go boom, you are not using them right.

I only use torps to make things go boom. I also use guns to make things collect my torps so they go boom. And not just my guns, friendly guns make things go broadside to my torp so they collect more torps to go boom.

[TIAR]
[TIAR]
Beta Testers
1,604 posts
23,073 battles
6 hours ago, SirPent13 said:

Please extrapolate on how it isn't a good ship in any of the roles of a DD? Halland is arguably the best torpedo boat DD in the game right now.

Not good for spotting, not enough concealment.

Poor torpedos, unable to dev strike or helpful for area denial. While playing my GK I would certainly charge a Swedish DD, hydro on, and bow in.

No good guns for a dogfight with any gunboat DD. Even Shima is a challenge while on Halland

Kebler, Daring, and Shima are far better in their specifics.

Gearing is a better all-around DD than Halland, give me back my Gearing AA and there is the best DD in-game.

[Y0L0W]
Members
448 posts
9,702 battles
9 hours ago, barbaroja_Ar said:

Not good for spotting, not enough concealment

Only ships that out spot a Halland(6.0) are Shima(5.6), Yeuyang(5.8), Somers(5.8), and Gearing(5.9). Ships that equal Halland in detection are Daring(6.0), and Grozo(6.0). All other T10 DD's are out spotted by Halland. I would also argue that Halland is the BEST DD for spotting, as CV's will actively avoid going to attack a Halland, meaning that it will rarely have to worry about being randomly spotted by the CV.

Poor torpedos, unable to dev strike or helpful for area denial. While playing my GK I would certainly charge a Swedish DD, hydro on, and bow in.

The torpedoes are great for different reasons than say Shima torpedoes are great. Halland torpedoes are great because of the high speed, narrow spread, and fast reload. This means that you consistently land more torps per salvo, more times per match, than ANY other DD in the game. For example, I normally have a 7% hit rate on my torpedoes, but I have a 15% hit rate in Halland, more than double.

Also, you don't charge down a Swedish DD. they don't have a smoke to sit in, they are always moving, so there's no, charging down as you describe. Also, because of the torps excellent speed, even ships with Hydro will have a hard time dodging the torps because the torps just get to target so fast.

The torps are as good as any others for area denial.

No good guns for a dogfight with any gunboat DD. Even Shima is a challenge while on Halland

Halland actually has average to above-average DPM compared to other DD's, its equal to gearing in AP DPM, and about 15K below in HE DPM. Not to mention, Halland has an excellent heal, so it will out trade any DD except for pure gunboats like Daring or Kleber. Shima is dog food for a Halland in a 1v1. Not to mention that Halland torps are very good at hitting DD's due to their speed.

Kebler, Daring, and Shima are far better in their specifics.

Gearing is a better all-around DD than Halland, give me back my Gearing AA and there is the best DD in-game.

I agree that Kleber and Daring are the best ships for their respective roles, but I would argue, based on the reasons given above, that Halland is a better overall torp boat than Shima.