Jump to content
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Col_Nasty

XP vs Winning?

12 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

3,286
[GOB]
Members
2,736 posts

Just had something very strange happen but it may explain a lot.

Went to do Narai to see how it was now.  Took my Sharn and wreeked Havoc!  5 kills on ships that actually fight back.  got us a star and set up another for sure.

Another sharn went after the TRANSPORTS!  He's supposed to stay with the fleey and blap MISS with those torps right?  It's what we ALL do in our Sharns.  People begging him to help fight BBs, he ignored everyone. ( This kid had PLENTY of battles so he knew the deal and went for the weakest targets) 

Long story short , team gets wiped out , full health sharn that killed transports starts back to the bay as the game ends.

OH LOL I forgot... HE DIDN'T GET THE STAR..  Transports got away!

He says. Hey I'm the highest XP for sure you losers! 

I had to ask.. What about the win?  5 Stars maybe??  3 Stars? 

We lost.

SO XP could be the reasons why some of these people play the way they do?  It's not about winning after all?  Just want to get XP?

He was absolutely smug about it,, PROUD of the XP..nothing about the humiliating loss to BOTS!

It's a foreign concept for me to play for anything but the win but I am an old man.  

  • Cool 1
  • Meh 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,378
[WMD]
Members
1,928 posts
10,964 battles
24 minutes ago, Col_Nasty said:

Just had something very strange happen but it may explain a lot.

Went to do Narai to see how it was now.  Took my Sharn and wreeked Havoc!  5 kills on ships that actually fight back.  got us a star and set up another for sure.

Another sharn went after the TRANSPORTS!  He's supposed to stay with the fleey and blap MISS with those torps right?  It's what we ALL do in our Sharns.  People begging him to help fight BBs, he ignored everyone. ( This kid had PLENTY of battles so he knew the deal and went for the weakest targets) 

Long story short , team gets wiped out , full health sharn that killed transports starts back to the bay as the game ends.

OH LOL I forgot... HE DIDN'T GET THE STAR..  Transports got away!

He says. Hey I'm the highest XP for sure you losers! 

I had to ask.. What about the win?  5 Stars maybe??  3 Stars? 

We lost.

SO XP could be the reasons why some of these people play the way they do?  It's not about winning after all?  Just want to get XP?

He was absolutely smug about it,, PROUD of the XP..nothing about the humiliating loss to BOTS!

It's a foreign concept for me to play for anything but the win but I am an old man.  

Could be something as si.ple as not knowing how to play scenarios, then making excuses.... 

Even on the forums it's common to read people claim that being alive longer proves they are better players. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,286
[GOB]
Members
2,736 posts
25 minutes ago, T1mb3rWo1f said:

Spare the rod, participation trophies, etc., etc., etc.,....you get the idea.

 I didn't want to go there but sadly ..............

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4,932
[RLGN]
Members
16,225 posts
28,105 battles
1 hour ago, VeatherVitch said:

Even on the forums it's common to read people claim that being alive longer proves they are better players. 

All it proves in my case is that I know how to get my quarter’s worth out of a game.

Surviving is apparently all I know how to do well; I sure as hell don’t know how to position worth flip.

Edited by Estimated_Prophet
  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
424
[WOLFH]
Members
986 posts
4,782 battles

I can to some extent understand going into “damage farming” rather than “fighting for the win” when a given player decides a match is no longer winnable,... but what you describe... sounds like excuses to me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10,691
[SALVO]
Members
26,321 posts
30,402 battles
1 hour ago, Col_Nasty said:

Just had something very strange happen but it may explain a lot.

Went to do Narai to see how it was now.  Took my Sharn and wreeked Havoc!  5 kills on ships that actually fight back.  got us a star and set up another for sure.

Another sharn went after the TRANSPORTS!  He's supposed to stay with the fleey and blap MISS with those torps right?  It's what we ALL do in our Sharns.  People begging him to help fight BBs, he ignored everyone. ( This kid had PLENTY of battles so he knew the deal and went for the weakest targets) 

Long story short , team gets wiped out , full health sharn that killed transports starts back to the bay as the game ends.

OH LOL I forgot... HE DIDN'T GET THE STAR..  Transports got away!

He says. Hey I'm the highest XP for sure you losers! 

I had to ask.. What about the win?  5 Stars maybe??  3 Stars? 

We lost.

SO XP could be the reasons why some of these people play the way they do?  It's not about winning after all?  Just want to get XP?

He was absolutely smug about it,, PROUD of the XP..nothing about the humiliating loss to BOTS!

It's a foreign concept for me to play for anything but the win but I am an old man.  

The thing is that in operations, if you don't win, you get absolute crap for XP.  So, not playing to win is a guarantee to get garbage rewards.

Regarding the Scharnhorst thing, yes, sticking with the fleet is the thing to do.  But a well played Scharnhorst can go after the transports and get back in the battle in plenty of time.  It helps a lot to have a full secondary build, since that can allow a Scharn to engage 2 transports at the same time.  That said, getting the transports is much better accomplished by a nice high RoF light cruiser.  Doing it with a BB or even a CA is often making more difficult than it needs to be.  CL's with their high RoF work best because their often weak pen isn't really an issue against the civvie transports.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,104
[OIL-1]
Members
1,510 posts

See it all the time.
Was in a tier 10 match. Teammate sailed a BB up the middle and died.
Then told everyone how happy he was bcuz he finished his potential damage mission.
And there you have it.
Sure, he could have done that in co-op & not ruin others games, but why bother?

We are currently being choked to death by missions.
And they made it worse by rigging them so that they can't be overlapped.
And a lot of them require you to play poorly in order to finish the mission.

What you people call content, is what I call grinding.
Must be a generational gap issue.
I hate grinding. You guys love it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
222
[ALLY]
Members
402 posts
21,381 battles

To all:

I believe it was Vince Lombardi who said "Winning isn't everything, it is the only thing!"  I have been in far too many games and seeing far too many players who just do not care about winning.  Whomever stated Participation trophies and such hit the nail on the head in my opinion.  For what it is worth.

C130 signing out

PS: I am showing my age, I know.

  • Boring 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,378
[WMD]
Members
1,928 posts
10,964 battles
8 hours ago, Estimated_Prophet said:

All it proves in my case is that I know how to get my quarter’s worth out of a game.

Surviving is apparently all I know how to do well; I sure as hell don’t know how to position worth flip.

There is a lot of value on surviving, I'm not discouraging good play. I'm talking more about the BB in scenarios that "snipes" from the back while the cruisers get focused down, or the BB in randoms that never gets within 18km of the enemy until they are the last ship left alive. 

I'm clearly not unicum, but I also know unicums don't back line damage farm their way to 60%+ win rates. 

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,771
[YORHA]
Members
5,370 posts
10,521 battles

Where did he end up on the team list?

Yesterday I decided to give the game another go and went into Narai in Sinop.

Killed both of the early BBs, solo killed the CV, the Phoenix and the DD escorting the CV.  152K damage and ended up second last on the team.

A BB that only killed the transports and nothing else and then got killed in the first wave of the final attack ended up first.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×