You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Fletcher7_1944

Wow- lot has changed around here!

7 comments in this topic

[WOLF9]
Members
4,679 posts

Now that I'm finally done downloading the ginormous update from heck,  I decided to go ahead and log on and give her one for the ol Gipper.

At first sight, my port was literally covered with red "NEW!"  tabs,  and I was bombarded with popups explaining all the numerous changes.   That's what I get for taking a 7 month sabbatical, I guess, lol.   Took awhile to wade through all of that- esp the major changes to the  tech tree and equipment tabs...   They really went all out, didn't they?  It's a lot like Tanks, now.

I selected the new Polish tier1 Mine layer, figuring to dip my toe in the water slowly.   This is actually a pretty cool ship: SIX guns;  and handsome to boot!  Fun was had for a few matches- until it got lame.   No flags, 0 point captain, just a basic camo.  Ground through in one match.   Actually like the ship!   I rank it up there with Bougainville; Cheng An and Erie, for fun and effectiveness.   Plus it's Polish, and I like Polish stuff.    Started off good, then got in a crappy low damage arrgh! rut.   Figured it was just rust, and all until I looked closer at the battle results screens.   Seems nearly all my teammates were high ranking Ranked players- which explains why the toasters died in record time each match- with nothing to show...     Time to change tactics!

Time to knock the cobwebs off of Colorado, and earn some XP!    And boy did I!!   I was quickly reminded of WHY this ship has long been a beloved favorite of mine:  Yeah, it can barely get out of it's own way- but the guns damn sure work!   And, if you angle correctly, so does the armor!    First match was 3 kills, 130-some odd k damage; a bajillion cap defenses  (our team of mainly bots got ATE...)- and an object lesson in the changes WG made to the consumable system, with the demise of the premium ones.   5 repair parties, with a pretty reasonable cooldown, helped Colly come back from the dead more than once, lol.

Second match, I knocked out an entire citadel mission in three salvos, lol.   ERASED an Edinburgh, who'd been RUDE enough to launch torpedoes at me,  then 2 sweet broadsides into an Amagi at med range brought him from nearly full health to blown the eff UP.   The rotter had been blowing huge holes in my cruiser friends attempting to defend the DD taking B cap.  No bueno!!    After that it was a joyful brawl with the red Colorado over the A cap- which I took from him.

Hopped in Fiji next.   Probably said it before, but the jump from Leander- which was a tear your hair out in frustration ship for me- to this beauty is night and day, lol.   Fun ride!

Ate my first friendly torpedo since coming back in it too...  Don't know what the hell Mahan was shooting at- nothing but friendlies over here.   That was the second time he nearly got me killed that game...  Thus it was with great glee that I watched as literally 5 seconds after turning pink, the Arizona he was attempting to kill said "Go Away, Boy- you bother me..."  and stepped on him.

Squish!

After that, it was Jean Bart.  I wanted more BB action, but also wanted something that moved faster than a depressed tree sloth.   JB fits that description!    Immediately gained me a secondary kill- on the red JB.    Then pounded a Pommern for 26k damage, cuz he turned to try and torpedo me.  I think all 8 shells slammed right into the sweet spot just above the armor belt.   Even I winced that time.    It makes Jean Bart very cross when you try to torpedo her!

From then on, I kinda switched back and forth between Colorado and my gunboat DD's- when the queue was full of cruisers, the Colorado came out.  When I tried to play cruisers, it was wall to wall BB's- so back to my DD's, lol.   (I was doing the fires;  main battery hits; Damage; and torpedo/citadel hits missions)   Tried my hand at the Hawkins, and oh hell no!  This thing blows HARD.   London was fun, but Hawkins can die in a fire!   Seattle fell victim to a pack of angry Iowas, both times I tried her out.   My nuts still hurt from that kicking...

Managed to complete the entire daily mission chain, most of the combat mission, and a big chunk out of the first directive.  Colorado is a nice fat chunk of XP closer to being ground out (again);  and got positively showered in loot!   So I celebrated by using my ship coupon to buy myself a gorgeous new Marceau  T10 French DD!   And STILL have more than enough coal for Moskva, should I decide to get it.

All in all not a bad first day back!

And also:  Yes, Hill is just as much fun to play as I remembered, lol.

• Cool 4
  • Boring 1

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester
28,323 posts
14,923 battles

Welcome back. It is nice to see someone that took some time off not complaining and that you didn't jump into the deep end because you know how to play and knocked the rust off in the lower tiers.

[WPORT]
Members
9,777 posts
14,310 battles

Glad you and fun and will be coming back for more.  :-)

[O_O]
[O_O]
Members
5,453 posts
23,786 battles

Welcome back and hope to see you in game, again!

[CO-OP]
Members
3,364 posts
29,993 battles

Welcome back Fletcher.  So you noticed that all of the consumables are now the 'old' premium versions and you don't have to pay extra for them.  

Not sure if you've heard, but there is going to be a US battleship split and the Colorado seems to be the nexus of the split.  You can read about it here: https://blog.worldofwarships.com/blog/45

[WOLF9]
Members
4,679 posts
6 minutes ago, HamptonRoads said:

Welcome back Fletcher.  So you noticed that all of the consumables are now the 'old' premium versions and you don't have to pay extra for them.  

Not sure if you've heard, but there is going to be a US battleship split and the Colorado seems to be the nexus of the split.  You can read about it here: https://blog.worldofwarships.com/blog/45

I did see that.   So far,  it doesn't look very interesting to me.   Colorado ONLY gets by with that slow speed, because of it's position at tier 7- and it's accuracy.

At tiers 8, 9, and 10; being that slow AND suffering poor accuracy  is a sure way to be completely irrelevant...   The super long reload will be extra painful as well.

So, unless things change quite a bit during testing and finalization- I'll simply ignore them.

With all the premium US BB's- I already HAVE a second US BB line, lol.

[PVE]
Members
8,497 posts
24,554 battles

Grats OP...nice to hear about triumphant returns.

Hope when I can get back in I have as much fun as you seemed to :-)