You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Ducky_shot

Ranking out is all about the influence you have on a game

25 comments in this topic

[GGWP]
Members
7,577 posts
17,909 battles

So the last regular ranked season I was watching someone stream and he was having some frustrations as he kept losing. He was doing decently enough and saving some stars but as I watched him I realized he was doing nothing impactful. He was in an Akizuki and just smoking up when he had space and shooting targets when he could. An Asashio got spotted going towards him and he got it down to 3k and then ran from his smoke because he was scared he would get spotted and blapped by the bbs behind it. He let himself get pushed by a 3k Asashio. He let them impact his game play while doing very little to impact their gameplay. He could have exited his smoke to find the Asashio, easily kill it in 2 or 3 salvoes and only have to take or dodge 2 salvoes from the battleships. He may have lost half of his health, but then he is the only dd on that flank and the bbs would likely start to run. 

It got me to thinking, people will not rank out easily if you cannot impact the game. People have to stop hoping their team will carry them and realize that they have to take their own destiny into their hands and figure out how to impact the game for their team. 

A lot of players by not looking for the opportunity to impact the game and just try and hold on and not make mistakes, they are letting the enemy team have an opportunity to impact the game in their favor. 

I typically play DDs in ranked as they can have a huge impact if used correctly. I play dds that are extremely effective against enemy dds. I don't care about killing cruisers or battleships. I care about killing the enemy destroyers. If I can kill enemy dds and stay alive, I am able to spot and cap for my team and the enemy team loses that ability. Battleships don't like to push up when there are no friendly destroyers to help against enemy destroyers. You are then able to start to push them away. So that is my goal when I play ranked, so my strategies form around that goal. Where do I expect the enemy dds to go, what's supporting them? How can I get a better damage trade on them? The whole game, I am just looking for opportunities an how to get rid of the enemy dds. One season involved sitting still in an LY in a place I knew enemy dds would push to. As soon as I got spotted, I would smoke up and activate hydro and they would lose most of their health before they were able to turn and leave my hydro range. This season I utilized the cossack smoke and concealment to dictate the start and stop of engagements, I was typically able to outtrade Akizukis 2/1 or 3/1 on the initial engagement, leavi g them hurting and timid and unable to do things for their team and allowing me to gradually push a flank. 

So if you want to rank out, you need to make an impact. Start asking yourself how you can win the game for your team. What can you do that gives your team the best chance of winning? You are going to make mistakes, just learn from those mistakes and grow as a player. 

• Cool 7
  • Thanks 2
  • Boring 1

[META_]
Members
1,829 posts
18,948 battles
8 minutes ago, Ducky_shot said:

So the last regular ranked season I was watching someone stream and he was having some frustrations as he kept losing. He was doing decently enough and saving some stars but as I watched him I realized he was doing nothing impactful. He was in an Akizuki and just smoking up when he had space and shooting targets when he could. An Asashio got spotted going towards him and he got it down to 3k and then ran from his smoke because he was scared he would get spotted and blapped by the bbs behind it. He let himself get pushed by a 3k Asashio. He let them impact his game play while doing very little to impact their gameplay. He could have exited his smoke to find the Asashio, easily kill it in 2 or 3 salvoes and only have to take or dodge 2 salvoes from the battleships. He may have lost half of his health, but then he is the only dd on that flank and the bbs would likely start to run. 

It got me to thinking, people will not rank out easily if you cannot impact the game. People have to stop hoping their team will carry them and realize that they have to take their own destiny into their hands and figure out how to impact the game for their team. 

A lot of players by not looking for the opportunity to impact the game and just try and hold on and not make mistakes, they are letting the enemy team have an opportunity to impact the game in their favor. 

I typically play DDs in ranked as they can have a huge impact if used correctly. I play dds that are extremely effective against enemy dds. I don't care about killing cruisers or battleships. I care about killing the enemy destroyers. If I can kill enemy dds and stay alive, I am able to spot and cap for my team and the enemy team loses that ability. Battleships don't like to push up when there are no friendly destroyers to help against enemy destroyers. You are then able to start to push them away. So that is my goal when I play ranked, so my strategies form around that goal. Where do I expect the enemy dds to go, what's supporting them? How can I get a better damage trade on them? The whole game, I am just looking for opportunities an how to get rid of the enemy dds. One season involved sitting still in an LY in a place I knew enemy dds would push to. As soon as I got spotted, I would smoke up and activate hydro and they would lose most of their health before they were able to turn and leave my hydro range. This season I utilized the cossack smoke and concealment to dictate the start and stop of engagements, I was typically able to outtrade Akizukis 2/1 or 3/1 on the initial engagement, leavi g them hurting and timid and unable to do things for their team and allowing me to gradually push a flank. 

So if you want to rank out, you need to make an impact. Start asking yourself how you can win the game for your team. What can you do that gives your team the best chance of winning? You are going to make mistakes, just learn from those mistakes and grow as a player. 

Good right up....kills and caps my friend....kills and caps

• Cool 1

[G-O-W]
Volunteer Moderator Coordinator, Supertester, Privateers
1,516 posts
16,733 battles

I can definitely vouch for this. Possibly this is a reason for the popularity of 3v3, as the few players on the team, the more an individual player's actions can impact the outcome. 

• Cool 3

SuperTest Coordinator, Beta Testers
7,026 posts
13,128 battles

Playing randoms is the same thing. People bemoan how they’re a 1/12 of the team and have no impact on the outcome. Spoilers, the unicums in most games are the ones picking up the slack and doing 20% of the work.

And it can sometimes quantified by checking the XP of a team. Usually everyone earns about the same amount of XP, but sometimes you get a person with 0 or a person with an insane number over 3000. Those are the people having the most impact on the game.

It’s easy to pull exactly 1/12 of the weight. The problem is that not everyone even pulls their own weight.

• Cool 1
  • Boring 1

[GT99]
Members
802 posts
13,092 battles
9 hours ago, LancerUlysses said:

I can definitely vouch for this. Possibly this is a reason for the popularity of 3v3, as the few players on the team, the more an individual player's actions can impact the outcome. 

I don't even think it's the 3v3, its that there is a new ship in town that is almost brainless in this game mode and they are addicted right now. Once the new wears off they will be complaining.

Tell the truth and get downvoted, the mass doesn't like the truth.

Edited by T1mb3rWo1f
  • Cool 1
  • Boring 1

[PVE]
Members
7,321 posts

If you have the skills to make an impact you don't need this advice.  The players that actually need this advice can't leverage it.  Still, it's a good post since it will give the newer players something to work towards.

• Cool 2

[TDG]
Members
1,853 posts
13,940 battles

I can relate.

My first Ranked Season, I tried several of the ships I had in the Tier.  The one I had the most success with was Farragut as vision was a key ability that Season.

[RLGN]
Members
16,188 posts
28,076 battles
3 hours ago, Ducky_shot said:

(snip)

Nice Ducky.

3 hours ago, Meta_Man said:

Good right up....kills and caps my friend....kills and caps

Took a conscious thought not to react negatively to this...

...but that’s just me being a ‘glass half empty’ kind of person.

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester
28,325 posts
14,923 battles

The problem I have with regular ranked is no matter how good you do if you do not have a good team you are not gaining stars even if you are saving them. With small teams though you can have a huge impact on winning even if the other players on your team are not very good.

[KMS]
[KMS]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
3,810 posts
12,810 battles
5 hours ago, Ducky_shot said:

I have stopped playing because the account I have been playing, i have only 2 tier 8 dds.  Very bad in this format,  Chung Mu, very situational,  and Ostaguard (sp) with no smoke, fast torpedo, low damage torpedoes.  I was also having issues where my BBs (2 BB, DD) were not getting into the match and contesting the caps.  By the time they got the cap, the enemy had already had the advantage.

[GGWP]
Members
7,577 posts
17,909 battles
14 minutes ago, Nachoo31 said:

I have stopped playing because the account I have been playing, i have only 2 tier 8 dds.  Very bad in this format,  Chung Mu, very situational,  and Ostaguard (sp) with no smoke, fast torpedo, low damage torpedoes.  I was also having issues where my BBs (2 BB, DD) were not getting into the match and contesting the caps.  By the time they got the cap, the enemy had already had the advantage.

The longer I play this game the more I lean towards believing it's p2w. I start looking back at the ships I use for ranked and nearly always, it's premium ships lately. 

Pommern

Kidd/cossack

Belfast, though I played a bunch of Mahan games. 

Kutuzov

Black

The only thing that wasn't a pay ship that I have used extensively in the past 5 seasons of ranked or sprint was Smaland, which is currency gated anyways. 

Edited by Ducky_shot
  • Cool 1

[SAINT]
[SAINT]
Members
1,645 posts
18,961 battles
1 minute ago, Ducky_shot said:

The longer I play this game the more I lean towards believing it's p2w. I start looking back at the ships I use for ranked and nearly always, it's premium ships lately. 

Pommern

Kidd/cossack

Kutuzov

Black

The only thing that wasn't a pay ship that I have used extensively in the past 5 seasons of ranked or sprint was Smaland, which is currency gated anyways. 

Well, I ranked out in the Alaska so I tend to agree. I also pushed up along with my DD to both support them and get in an easy radar kill on the enemy DD. Once that task was completed the match was largely over. The only thing I found truly surprising this season was how easy the Alaska handled the enemy battleships. I really need to play that ship more because it seemed to bounce everything and I don't think I took a single citadel. 

Anyway, nice write up. +1

[KMS]
[KMS]
3,810 posts
12,810 battles

Last sprint I ranked out in Benson and on the other account did it in Orkan, premium ship.

151 posts
4,371 battles
41 minutes ago, Jolly_Rodgered said:

Well, I ranked out in the Alaska so I tend to agree. I also pushed up along with my DD to both support them and get in an easy radar kill on the enemy DD. Once that task was completed the match was largely over. The only thing I found truly surprising this season was how easy the Alaska handled the enemy battleships. I really need to play that ship more because it seemed to bounce everything and I don't think I took a single citadel. 

Anyway, nice write up. +1

Alaska doesn't really have a cit, it's pretty much waterline and only really gets hit by plunging fire at range (which doesn't exist in Sprint)

My last match before ranking out I decided to play Musashi and despite being able to overmatch the bow on Alaska, it took me like 6 salvos to finally do enough raw AP damage to kill him at 6KM because it's realistically impossible to cit Alaska. Definitely one of the stronger T9 ships, none of the other T9 cruisers can really compete (not even other supercruisers like Kron or Azuma)

[PQUOD]
[PQUOD]
Members
5,065 posts
19,412 battles
5 hours ago, Compassghost said:

It’s easy to pull exactly 1/12 of the weight.

This is one reason why I do better in random than ranked. I have no carry super powers.

5 hours ago, Slimeball91 said:

The players that actually need this advice can't leverage it. 

This describes average and below. I’m not kicking them. I’m one of them.

Last but not least. As Ducky said a meta will form for every ranked season that comes along. People will probably throw a lot against the wall and see what sticks for them. By the end there will be only a couple BB’s, couple more variations of cruisers, and a couple DD’s that will become the make up. Everything else will be discarded unless a player who does not have any of the meta and insist on playing. The last is not set in stone. Skilled players can take a old fiddle and make it a violin. But that is the outliers. A nod to their abilities and skills.

Edited by Capt_Ahab1776

[-AFK-]
Members
1,270 posts
15,922 battles
6 hours ago, Ducky_shot said:

Take BB and murder their entire team. 

[SAINT]
[SAINT]
Members
1,645 posts
18,961 battles
1 hour ago, ComradeTsushima said:

Alaska doesn't really have a cit, it's pretty much waterline and only really gets hit by plunging fire at range (which doesn't exist in Sprint)

My last match before ranking out I decided to play Musashi and despite being able to overmatch the bow on Alaska, it took me like 6 salvos to finally do enough raw AP damage to kill him at 6KM because it's realistically impossible to cit Alaska. Definitely one of the stronger T9 ships, none of the other T9 cruisers can really compete (not even other supercruisers like Kron or Azuma)

Agreed. Alaska certainly seemed dominant as every match I just bullied other cruisers. I only saw one Kroncake and he tried to snipe at range while the Azumas I saw only wanted to fire HE; easy kills.

I only faced two Musashis that I recall. They both pushed in so I got on their broadside and just slapped that cute cheek until they turned off. Both matches they didn't last long. I have one too and with that turret traverse getting caught in a crossfire is deadly. As you stated this sprint was mostly close in brawling and the Pomeranian was my biggest concern due to the torps. Other than that once she went broadside to get all her guns in play she got punished too.  

Everybody, regardless of the match's outcome, seemed to have fun. No salty chat, nobody getting reported, compliments all around sort of games. I'm sure this was an aberration but it sure was enjoyable. Looking forward to more 3v3s.  

[SALVO]
Members
8,201 posts
6,084 battles

Nice post Ducky, but kinda obvious and evident approach. What about impacting the match in a sub-par ship?

2 hours ago, Nachoo31 said:

2 hours ago, Ducky_shot said:

Pommern

Kidd/cossack

Kutuzov

Black

For me, the real challenge is taking non-meta ships and struggle to find a way to impact the match. It is relatively easy to best the other guy when your gear and kit is better, but what about when you are the one gimped and crippled? It is only then when I consider I've thoroughly beaten the opponent.

[TIMT]
Members
1,708 posts
5,591 battles
10 hours ago, Ducky_shot said:

I typically play DDs in ranked as they can have a huge impact if used correctly. I play dds that are extremely effective against enemy dds. I don't care about killing cruisers or battleships. I care about killing the enemy destroyers. If I can kill enemy dds and stay alive, I am able to spot and cap for my team and the enemy team loses that ability. Battleships don't like to push up when there are no friendly destroyers to help against enemy destroyers. You are then able to start to push them away.

This is also one of the reasons I like DDs in randoms so much, you can have such a huge influence if done right. However, I am still struggling finding out for some lines how to do this properly: For the RN DDs it is 'easy' as you are the perfect counter-DD, you hunt other DDs and thus with little but important damage you are a force multiplier for your BBs (in very simplified terms). I struggled a bit with Akizuki at the beginning as while I could farm damage on some target, it was inconsequential as I did not help other people do more damage/cap. So after I realize I am more a cruiser hunting DDs I became much better. For the french DDs and all the torpedo boats I have not found my way of being impactful, but I will keep looking.

Similarly, it always takes me a while going back to ships to figure out not only how to play the ships in a mechanical sense but how to make them matter.

10 hours ago, T1mb3rWo1f said:

I don't even think it's the 3v3, its that there is a new ship in town that is almost brainless in this game mode and they are addicted right now. Once the new wears off they will be complaining.

Tell the truth and get downvoted, the mass doesn't like the truth.

T9 is certainly rich in premiums that do well in 3v3, no doubt. But I think there were also a lot of good tech tree ships, and overall I think it is an 'acceptable evil' (personal opinion, highly debatable and subjective) that this limited time game mode is available in combination with a premium that was more or less designed for it, while it is balanced or trollish in competitve or 12v12 randoms. This is highly subjective and I am willing to ignore the monetization aspect of this in light of the sheer fun I had.

I would really like something similar like 4v4 at tier4, this would be interesting to see which picks would show up most.

[NMKJT]
Members
3,291 posts
8,467 battles

I ranked out with Kron, divved for the last few games but did the rest solo. Alaskas were not really an issue for me, or the Pommerns that were everywhere. Dealing with Alaskas wasn't a problem as long as you didn't point blank brawl them (your guns are still more powerful and fire faster), and the one time I got into that with an Alaska I cit and killed him anyway.

I made my influence felt by going wide and sideshotting everyone, using radar to make people feel less safe if they tried to disengage from the main fight. People make all sorts of mistakes when you don't leave them an out, sometimes they make bad ram trades (or try to) cause they think the game is over and they're trying to save their star.

[ARGSY]
Members
24,414 posts
18,358 battles
22 hours ago, Ducky_shot said:

The longer I play this game the more I lean towards believing it's p2w.

If you want to talk about p2w ships, then Pommern and Black (particularly Pommern) are not your hills to die on. Both of them either were, are, or soon will be available for players who have no money to put into the game - Pommern for coal and Black for steel, promised to return for coal.

[GGWP]
Members
7,577 posts
17,909 battles
32 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

If you want to talk about p2w ships, then Pommern and Black (particularly Pommern) are not your hills to die on. Both of them either were, are, or soon will be available for players who have no money to put into the game - Pommern for coal and Black for steel, promised to return for coal.

And quite honestly, both of them are trash in randoms. They have very specific tool sets that only work well in ranked. 

[UEFN]
Members
1,354 posts
25,670 battles

Sprint format like this is significantly easier to carry your teammate than regular Ranked.   Obviously it helps when you were able to single-handedly wiped out the entire red team, if not at least 1 to 2 of them to make a meaningful impact to the final outcome.  

Wasn't feeling it with the Benham so I switched to the Z-46, IMO a far more versatile and effective DD for 3v3 setup like this, was able to ranked out in 19 battles with the Z. 

unknown.png

Z46.JPG

Edited by Xcalib3r

[ARGSY]
Members
24,414 posts
18,358 battles
19 minutes ago, Ducky_shot said:

And quite honestly, both of them are trash in randoms.

I can't speak for the Pommern, which I haven't got, but I have taken the Black into Randoms enough times to feel comfortable doing that. I find Ranked so toxic I never want to go back there, except maybe 1v1 Sprint.

For sure, small-team T9 Ranked belongs to the secondary-spec BBs, and Pommern came along at just the right time with just the right toolset. In addition, if I didn't already have a bunch of German BBs that were good with secondaries and/or have torps, I'd definitely have spent the coal to have her for co-op.

[F4E-2]
Members
357 posts
7,058 battles
On 8/26/2020 at 4:44 PM, BrushWolf said:

The problem I have with regular ranked is no matter how good you do if you do not have a good team you are not gaining stars even if you are saving them. With small teams though you can have a huge impact on winning even if the other players on your team are not very good.

Precisely. I ranked out of this 3v3 sprint incredibly fast. Because while I'm not that great of a player I'm usually far far better than the majority of my team. With the 3v3 I'd usually have two ships sunk before the rest of my team could die and I progressed quickly. When the teams are larger then even when I get 4-5 kills per game it's still not enough to save the game or even save a star.

• Cool 1