You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
brewakeg

Salvo fire vs. One-turret-at-a-time continuous fire

45 comments in this topic

Members
346 posts
11,180 battles

Just wondering if anyone intentionally "slow" fires each turret to get a more continuous fire compared to salvo firing all at a time. I would guess that I salvo fire on my BB, cruisers, and DD 90% of the time. The times I have accidentally done non salvo fire it seems to help some in hitting a fast or evasive ship, instead of having a whole salvo miss.

[WOLFD]
Members
103 posts
7,281 battles

Occasionally I have found it helpful to split my turret's fire. For instance I will fire my forward turrets, spot the fall of shot, and then fire my aft turrets after adjusting. I don't like to ripple fire so much because it extends the visibility penalty we take after firing main armaments. 

SuperTest Coordinator, Beta Testers
7,032 posts
13,156 battles

I do this on Harugumo and Wooster as psychological warfare. The steady stream of low caliber rounds dialing in towards your demise is always enjoyable to watch. 

• Cool 4
  • Funny 1
  • Boring 1

Members
358 posts
5,928 battles

If you are good at aiming you should try to fire all of your guns at once, particularly with BBs because it lessens the time that the enemy ship can react.

Ex: Nürnberg spotted, sequential fire New York turrets, enemy notices and angles

Only the shells from two of my turrets could have hit him when he was broadside, while the rest ricochet/miss because he is angled

Of course ships like CLs and DDs don't necessarily need to fire in full salvos as they are mostly just trying to set fires and the enemy's angle doesn't matter. When you plan on shooting AP, particularly at vulnerable targets, I always fire the full salvo.

• Cool 1

[KWF]
Members
6,410 posts
7,154 battles

Fire sequentially quite often on DDs with high DPM.

The high fire rate allows you to "walk" your shells on enemy ships to set as many fires as possible.

• Cool 6

[CMFRT]
[CMFRT]
Banned
16,985 posts

I tend to hold the button down and fire in rapid ripple, with the exception of big AP with a good target, then I'll double-tap to fire the whole salvo. 

Members
346 posts
11,180 battles
28 minutes ago, Compassghost said:

I do this on Harugumo and Wooster as psychological warfare. The steady stream of low caliber rounds dialing in towards your demise is always enjoyable to watch. 

Come to think of it, I have done this on my Fiji. Usually forces target to move or move away.

Members
1,433 posts
1,854 battles

I do the "Hidden Rainbow" maneuver with the USS Smith. Pop smoke in the cap, then fire AP continuously, one gun at a time. This works well in any ship with numerous rapid fire guns, so long as you don't have to move much and it's better if your ship has a smoke generator.

[DPG]
Members
2,085 posts
11,730 battles

Once I get my shots on target I rarely ripple fire, unless I want to be really annoying.

• Cool 1

[-K-]
[-K-]
Members
5,880 posts
22,473 battles

When firing at long range against players who know how to dodge reactively, you must use at least some degree of ripple fire or the target will simply move out of the way 100% of the time.

• Cool 3

Members
172 posts
9,225 battles

I use the single shot at a time method when I need to zero-in on an elusive target and the guns I am firing have a high arc, kind of like tracer rounds.

• Cool 1

[1984]
Members
4,482 posts
21,506 battles

I always ripple fire on bbs with bad dispersion (km) i think i have better hit rates than shooting salvo in them. In a he spamming bb (conq, nelson, etc) i’ll dump the salvo cause i want to cover the target and the aim per se doesnt matter.  I salvo fire point blank (less than 10 km) in bb because i want max damage fast. In cruisers i generally use salvos. In gunboat dds i’ll single fire for the above mentioned taste the rainbow effect.

Edited by monpetitloup

[PVE]
Members
7,360 posts
21 minutes ago, warheart1992 said:

The high fire rate allows you to "walk" your shells on enemy ships to set as many fires as possible.

I actually find it harder/slower to use the walk ripple fire method verses correcting for each full salvo.  There's too many shells landing all over the place for me to dial it in quickly. 

12 minutes ago, Edgecase said:

When firing at long range against players who know how to dodge reactively, you must use at least some degree of ripple fire or the target will simply move out of the way 100% of the time.

Yeah, that can work.  I don't see people use it too often though. 

Another way to use of ripple fire is to maximize your high RoF ships' DPM.  You lose a fraction of second between the time your guns reload and when you fire a full salvo.  Over the course of burning down a BB that could cost you an entire salvo.  When you constantly hold down the left mouse button to ripple fire there is no lost time between shots.  

• Cool 1

[USCGC]
[USCGC]
Members
827 posts
7,444 battles

It depends. On high ROF DD’s and cruisers I prefer just holding the left mouse button down and walking my fire in accordingly. On long reload cruisers and BB’s I’ll typically use salvo fire. 

[RLGN]
Members
16,232 posts
28,122 battles
2 hours ago, Edgecase said:

I understand this, but tend more towards carefully watching an evasion pattern, then using salvo fire.

[D-H-O]
-Members-
4,756 posts
15,689 battles
3 hours ago, brewakeg said:

Just wondering if anyone intentionally "slow" fires each turret to get a more continuous fire compared to salvo firing all at a time. I would guess that I salvo fire on my BB, cruisers, and DD 90% of the time. The times I have accidentally done non salvo fire it seems to help some in hitting a fast or evasive ship, instead of having a whole salvo miss.

Aloha,

Ripple fire is actually very important if you're engaging someone in a turn, you can kind of predict ahead and try to land shots in the turn.

-Hapa

• Cool 3

[FFG33]
[FFG33]
Members
412 posts
15,617 battles

Is there any kind of accuracy bonus mechanic to turret fire vs full salvo?

i didn’t think so but may be off here.

Edited by custer_14

[O7]
Supertester
425 posts
13,542 battles
1 minute ago, custer_14 said:

No accuracy bonus

• Sad 1

[-K-]
[-K-]
Members
5,880 posts
22,473 battles
43 minutes ago, Estimated_Prophet said:

I understand this, but tend more towards carefully watching an evasion pattern, then using salvo fire.

Depending on the target and range, there may be nothing to see. Ships at the extremes of the throttle curve (UK destroyers, cruisers, French destroyers, and a few others) can literally park stationary until they see the shells leave your guns, then choose to move forward, backward, or stay in place to dodge them after seeing the shell trajectory.

[V_KNG]
Beta Testers
13,197 posts

When you have a target you want to hit, here's a good practice: 

1)  Select and lock them as a target.

2) Watch for any change in the ship's movement. 

If you detect change in their behavior, you now they are probably paying attention. 

3) Unlock the target. This makes them forget about you, as nearly every player has that level one commander skill which informs you if you are targeted and how many ships are targeting you. 

Now you have a choice. You can fire a single salvo to see if they put on the brakes or turn hard. Or you can dump a salvo on them. In either case:

4) Select and Lock target and fire immediately, one or all. 

If you fired one and there is no change in behavior, adjust and fire the remaining rounds.
If there is a change in behavior, unlock the targeting and start the process again. 

5) Unlock your targeting after firing, immediately after firing. 

The target will think oh, just like before, I was targeted for just an instance. Difference being this time, one or more salvos are on the way. Our brains work in such a way (lazy I guess), most of us will think they didn't fire. 

I understand they can also know if rounds are incoming. If you see them reacting to the shots fired, next time you know for sure to fire once to alter their course then dump everything on them in the second shot just seconds later. 

Also I tell anyone who might benefit:

Set your fire button to the [SPACEBAR]. This allows you to mouse target, ship direction control with WASD then thumbing to fire the main battery. It keeps you from moving the mouse when you LMB click to fire. In my case, it was a very nice enhancement to my shooting skills. 

Just remember though if you hit the spacebar when you are not in chat, you will fire your main batteries. IMO, it's a very worthwhile tradeoff. 

UPDATE for clarity: 

Lock on your target, unlock your target. 
When you are ready to fire, lock target, fire, immediately unlock target. 
If they take evasive action, next volley lock, fire one turret, unlock, wait for evasive action, lock again and fire. 1

The space bar is achieved via adding the space bar as a second "trigger" for firing main weapons. 
Hope that helped. 

Edited by Herr_Reitz

[SYN]
Members
15,971 posts
12,803 battles
28 minutes ago, custer_14 said:

There is not, however your theoretical DPM is slightly better with all at once.

Especially if you intend to switch ammo type more than once.

[RLGN]
Members
16,232 posts
28,122 battles
4 minutes ago, Edgecase said:

Depending on the target and range, there may be nothing to see. Ships at the extremes of the throttle curve (UK destroyers, cruisers, French destroyers, and a few others) can literally park stationary until they see the shells leave your guns, then choose to move forward, backward, or stay in place to dodge them after seeing the shell trajectory.

Speaking for the most part about moving targets.

People tend to be predictable, and I’ve always been pretty good at seeing patterns.

Considering what a worthless idiot I am at some parts of this game, (positioning mostly,) at least I’m good at that.

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester
28,341 posts
14,924 battles
4 hours ago, warheart1992 said:

With fast firing ships sequential fire lets you walk the shots in if you are a little off.

With slower firing ships I prefer salvo fire except for firing at ships firing out of smoke where I will spread the fall of shot out to increase the chance of actually hitting.

• Cool 1

[FML]
Members
4,186 posts
16,206 battles
5 hours ago, brewakeg said:

I mainly use salvo fire - getting all shots on target whilst giving enemy minimal warning time is important. 

But when using heavy cruisers like French or IJN, I do use ripple fire in quick succession to ‘walk’ HE shells over a target with the aim of setting more fires. Light cruisers tend to have a fast enough reload that this is less important. 

• Cool 1