You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
The_Boss_007

Running WOWS From A Ram Disk

38 comments in this topic

[QC103]
Members
27 posts
3,675 battles

I wanted to run WOW from a RAM DISK, however, the memory that I have is only 32GB.  My directory for the WOW is 56GB.  So what files do I actually need to run WOW?  I know there is a guide here, but it states I don't have permission to view this content Error Code:  2F173/H.  But I wanted to make a point that if you could, it would be alot faster.  Case in point, I did a speed test against my SSD and RAMDISK.  See for yourself:

Disk Speed.png

[DENY]
Members
641 posts
9,912 battles
2 minutes ago, Captain_Rawhide said:

You only have 32GB on your SSD?  That sounds kinda low.  Mine has 120GB and I wouldn't consider mine a top end gaming computer.  I don't think you will be able to split the WoW files up between the SSD and RAMDISK.  Might want to consider just getting a larger SSD installed.  And yes, SSD should run much faster, that's the whole idea behind it.  Good luck.

He has 32 gig of MEMORY, not SSD.

He wants to use system memory as a disk, this is called a ram disk. I can't imagine it would have any difference in performance.

FYI, I have 64 gig of Ram and 8TB of m.2 SSD. Disk speed only helps a bit in a game like Warships. Getting into a match 5 seconds early than normal doesn't give much of an advantage.

[12TF]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
9,224 posts

My SSD loads me into matches in a few seconds, then I have to sit there and wait for about 25 seconds for the match to let everyone else to load in and the timer reaches 0 to begin.

There is no advantage to loading faster, you have to wait for the match timer anyway.

• Cool 2

[O_O]
[O_O]
Members
5,463 posts
23,825 battles

This! Little gain for a large effort.

[DENY]
Members
641 posts
9,912 battles

To the OP, you won't see much real advantage even if you moved WOWs to a RAM disk, as only disk loads are improved. This is mostly loading the maps at the start of a match. Even standard hard drives load before the match begins. Increasing your load bandwith only means you load faster, and there isn't much of an advantage in that.

You also get increasingly smaller returns the faster the drive speed, even when drive access is important. The goal is that your drive access is fast/wide enough to handle your workload without delay, not that it is the fastest possible in a theoretical sense, unless you are trying to set benchmarks.

[DENY]
Members
641 posts
9,912 battles
Just now, Burnsy said:

My SSD loads me into matches in a few seconds, then I have to sit there and wait for about 25 seconds for the match to let everyone else to load in and the timer reaches 0 to begin.

There is no advantage to loading faster, you have to wait for the timer anyway.

Exactly, the only benefit is you can be on the map and see where other ships are located so you can start planning a few seconds earlier, to throw that planning out as soon as other players start to move.

[APES]
Members
1,496 posts
10,071 battles

Edit: I misunderstood.  You want to move some of the game folders to Ramdisk?

Unfortunately a lot of old information and guides have been hidden to "clean" up the forums.  I try to google some old stuff and it comes up with that same error.

Edited by 0NutsNBolts0

[WOLF7]
Members
12,614 posts
2 minutes ago, 0NutsNBolts0 said:

That is a virtual drive using your RAM, so when you shut down, you would have to load the entire thing the next day.  Just buy an ssd.

He has one....

Or course a Ram disk will operate faster, but it's not going to make a difference in the game. 

0 posts

Seems only a few people understood what the OP is doing. He already has a SSD and a RAM disk is not his the same as his storage...  @The_Boss_007 try just adding the "res_packages" folder to the RAM disk since it contains all the maps.

• Boring 1

[12TF]
9,224 posts
4 minutes ago, Ban_CV_Complainers said:

Seems only a few people understood what the OP is doing. He already has a SSD and a RAM disk is not his the same as his storage...  @The_Boss_007 try just adding the "res_packages" folder to the RAM disk since it contains all the maps.

I understand what he is doing.  The problem is that there is nothing gained and it's pointless.  If this was a single player game, where the game began as soon as your computer had it loaded, then speed matters.

This is a mulitplayer game though and the match timer is designed to hold everyone back (with at least an average computer) until everyone is ready to go, then let them go into the match, all at once.

Loading the match before the games says "ok everyone, go!" doesn't gain you anything.  It's like flying right up to a stop light at 150mph.  Yes, you are going to get to the stoplight first, but you are going to sit there until it turns green anyway, then everyone, even with slow cars, are all going to get to go at the same time.

Not to mention that if he fills his RAM up just holding the game, there isn't going to be any RAM left, to do what RAM is supposed to do.

0 posts
Just now, Burnsy said:

I understand what he is doing.  The problem is that there is nothing gained and it's pointless.  If this was a single player game, where the game began as soon as your computer had it loaded, then speed matters.

This is a mulitplayer game though and the match time is designed to hold everyone back (with at least an average computer) until everyone is ready to go, then let them go into the match, all at once.

Loading the match before the games says "ok everyone, go!" doesn't gain you anything.  It's like flying right up to a stop light at 150mph.  Yes, you are going to get to the stoplight first, but you are going to sit there until it turns green anyway, then everyone, even with slow cars, is going to get to go at the same time.

Not to mention that if he fills his RAM up just holding the game, there isn't going to be any RAM left, to do what RAM is supposed to do.

Thats not exactly what he asked was it?

• Boring 1

[12TF]
9,224 posts
1 minute ago, Ban_CV_Complainers said:

Thats not exactly what he asked was it?

Sometimes the right answer, isn't the one you started out looking for.  That doesn't make it suddenly the wrong answer.

• Cool 1

0 posts
6 minutes ago, Burnsy said:

Sometimes the right answer, isn't the one you started out looking for.  That doesn't make it suddenly the wrong answer.

I get your point that its not going to do much for him but who is to get in the way of tooling around with a PC. He/she might learn something and have a great time doing it.

[GT99]
Members
802 posts
13,092 battles
25 minutes ago, Ban_CV_Complainers said:

I get your point that its not going to do much for him but who is to get in the way of tooling around with a PC. He/she might learn something and have a great time doing it.

Just what I was thinking also. And on another note, if you watch you disk reads and writes while this game loads, I don't even think an SSD has any advantage over a spinner.

[SALVO]
Members
3,503 posts
7,388 battles
8 minutes ago, T1mb3rWo1f said:

Just what I was thinking also. And on another note, if you watch you disk reads and writes while this game loads, I don't even think an SSD has any advantage over a spinner.

I keep both Windows and WoWs on my SSD. 

My game loads way faster off of an SSD then it did off of my disk drive before that.  Maps do load faster too.

Getting into the game and map loaded quicker is a huge advantage when something goes wrong and the game crashes.  Plus I enjoy in general when things load faster.  

Right now when I need to I can boot up windows and load into a match faster then it took for the game itself to load off of a disc drive. 

Edited by eviltane

[WOLF1]
Members
6,321 posts

I run Windows off my SSD, but I run the game from my 2 TB HD.  Loads fine, and I don't have any issues with not loading in time.  

[WOLF9]
Wiki Lead
16,295 posts
4,773 battles
1 hour ago, Ban_CV_Complainers said:

@The_Boss_007 try just adding the "res_packages" folder to the RAM disk since it contains all the maps.

That's only half the solution.  You then have to tell the client where the \res_packages folder is.  It's probably somewhere in a config file, but not necessarily.

That still won't make one's gaming experience better, though.

Members
713 posts

It would speed up the initial local client load but do nothing for your match time. Any lag you have is in the lan/wan connection. It's a multiplayer game so any speedups/slowdowns are mostly out of your control.

[BEA5T]
Members
588 posts
18,713 battles

21 minutes ago, Kesh_Lives said:

I run Windows off my SSD, but I run the game from my 2 TB HD.  Loads fine, and I don't have any issues with not loading in time.  

I had the same setup UNTIL these WINDOWS update somehow caused issues and I was unable to recover successfully.   So I called the friendly PC support Desk of the Desktop manufacture and they walked me through the recovery process.   Anyway to make the long story short they had me wipe both the SSD drive and 2TB Hard drive clean.   Then they proceeded to tell me to load WINDOWS on the 2 TB HD....  I scratched my head at that point and indicated I had a 512GB SSD drive which should be sufficient to handle whatever WINDOWs may throw at it...   Anyway they indicated that was what they wanted to do.  Okay they are the manufacture support so went along.    So now my Windows is on the HD and I placed WOWS on the SSD.     

One advantage is the GAME CENTER updates for all the patches do go faster :)       

PS:  I did have a LONG conversation with the Help Desk Supervisor after the support desk ticket was closed and he indicated that they should have loaded the Windows on the SSD drive once it was known it was 512 GB.  

[WOLF1]
Members
6,321 posts

I run Windows from a 256 GB SSD, but I run all the data/games/etc (including documents library, etc) on the 2 TB HD.  Does WoWS load a little slower initially than it does from the SSD?  Sure, but not very much.  I never have to wait to get into the game, so that's plenty fast enough.  I don't really run anything that is fast-twitch anyway.  My old eyes don't go any faster than that anyway!

Yeah, manufacturer support can be stupid.  Their first action will be to wipe you.  I generally have them send me parts, and I take care of things myself, but, I work in IT for a living, too.  

[KIA-C]
Supertester
1,828 posts
6,321 battles
Beta Testers
103 posts
14,001 battles

Ring Ring!

Hello? 

Hey, it's 1994 calling! It wants its memory management shenanigans back! Along with its QEMM!

Been there, done that, got the t-shirt. Other than as an experiment, don't think I'd ever want to mess with that sort of thing again.

[GT99]
Members
802 posts
13,092 battles
2 hours ago, eviltane said:

I keep both Windows and WoWs on my SSD. 

My game loads way faster off of an SSD then it did off of my disk drive before that.  Maps do load faster too.

Getting into the game and map loaded quicker is a huge advantage when something goes wrong and the game crashes.  Plus I enjoy in general when things load faster.  

Right now when I need to I can boot up windows and load into a match faster then it took for the game itself to load off of a disc drive. 

I wasn't arguing the fact that an SSD wouldn't load faster, was just making a point that this game is not really that disk-intensive compared to something like MSFS 2020.

You are correct in your information, I wasn't trying to misinform or deny, it was just an observation that I have made in comparison to other games that rely on high throughput to load quicker.

Members
876 posts
5,967 battles

If you want an advantage from a tech standpoint I think my Fiber’s gotten me called a hacker a couple times since I had it installed a couple weeks ago and I haven’t been called a hacker in years. I was blushing :cap_win: