You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Gemlin

Buff T3-4 Ships AA already

18 comments in this topic

[BB35]
[BB35]
Members
600 posts
16,765 battles

Buff these Ships AA's or RESTRICT the CVs to 1 per side, per match.

Sometimes I like playing T3 & T4 boats. Shouldn't be target practice for CV's because you have NO AA.

Wargames, BB players complained about Subs so in your "Testing" you added so that they can call in air strikes against subs. Why don't you make it so we can call in fighters in T4 matches

• Cool 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Boring 1
  • Meh 2

[SALVO]
Members
8,343 posts
6,186 battles

Not happening bro, T4 is officially playground and nursery pool for CVs, they even added bots to guarantee enough food is always present and queue times are not too long. Improving low tiers is a lost cause :Smile_sad: 

[MELON]
Members
904 posts
2,678 battles

I wonder what buffed AA on no AA ships would be like......... the crew on deck make gun sounds as you fly by 

• Funny 3

[COOP2]
Members
388 posts
10,172 battles

Some (not many) of the tier 4 ships can at least do something to protect themselves, but the tier 3 ships can only dodge, and many of them are so slow they can't even do that.

[TFK]
[TFK]
Alpha Tester
1,840 posts
21,584 battles

Why would WG buff tiers where they have a 200 game buffer for new players? Its like protected territory.

• Boring 1

[-TRM-]
Members
0 posts
23 minutes ago, Gemlin said:

Buff these Ships AA's or RESTRICT the CVs to 1 per side, per match.

Sometimes I like playing T3 & T4 boats. Shouldn't be target practice for CV's because you have NO AA.

Wargames, BB players complained about Subs so in your "Testing" you added so that they can call in air strikes against subs. Why don't you make it so we can call in fighters in T4 matches

Forget it.

AA was really crappy in those years. Its still crappy.

True AA monsters did not evolve until about 1943 or so when clouds of Kamikaze showed up. VT fuses and all that, masses of Bofors 40mm quads etc.

I cannot bear to play lower tier ships when a plane shows up. That tap tap tap tap tap is so useless.

[YARRR]
Members
735 posts
5,955 battles

A separate mode for the pre Dreadnought era where no carriers will ever tread is the answer.  It would be a lot of fun.

• Cool 5

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester
28,344 posts
14,924 battles
42 minutes ago, ElAurens said:

A separate mode for the pre Dreadnought era where no carriers will ever tread is the answer.  It would be a lot of fun.

I am down for this.

[SYN]
Members
9,038 posts
16,354 battles

While tiers and timing  have always varied, having T3's like St. Louis (built 1906, decommissioned 1923) or Dreadnought (1906-1919) against aircraft dating from the late '30's and early '40's has always seemed pretty off. 

[WOLF7]
Members
905 posts
7 minutes ago, mofton said:

While tiers and timing  have always varied, having T3's like St. Louis (built 1906, decommissioned 1923) or Dreadnought (1906-1919) against aircraft dating from the late '30's and early '40's has always seemed pretty off. 

Not to mention Bogatyr, launched in 1901 before the Wright Brothers ever flew. Feels like an Apollo space capsule facing a Klingon Bird of Prey. "just dodge" that phaser fire, Apollo capsule!

• Funny 1

[SALVO]
Members
8,343 posts
6,186 battles
1 hour ago, ElAurens said:

20 minutes ago, BrushWolf said:

I am down for this.

There's no need, just remove CV from tier 4 where they don't historically belong. There's no reason to have functional CV before the 1930s decade, that would be around T6 if I'm not mistaken.

• Cool 1

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester
28,344 posts
14,924 battles
6 minutes ago, ArIskandir said:

There's no need, just remove CV from tier 4 where they don't historically belong. There's no reason to have functional CV before the 1930s decade, that would be around T6 if I'm not mistaken.

HMS Eagle was launched in 1918 and the Jupiter was renamed to Langley in 1920. Adding enough AA to all ships to make the CV players actually think about their attacks against tier 3, 4, & 5 that have no AA or weak AA is the best solution to the over abundance of CV's in tier 4. Ironically even though they were just as common in the RTS days the lack of AA was less of an issue because well timed maneuvering could make the attack whiff where now with multiple passes one of them will strike home.

[SALVO]
Members
8,343 posts
6,186 battles
6 minutes ago, BrushWolf said:

HMS Eagle was launched in 1918 and the Jupiter was renamed to Langley in 1920. Adding enough AA to all ships to make the CV players actually think about their attacks against tier 3, 4, & 5 that have no AA or weak AA is the best solution to the over abundance of CV's in tier 4. Ironically even though they were just as common in the RTS days the lack of AA was less of an issue because well timed maneuvering could make the attack whiff where now with multiple passes one of them will strike home.

Early CVs were more test beds for the concept than operational unit, it wasn't up until the 30´s that CVs became fully operative as weapons platforms. If you want WW1 era air support it would be better to use sea plane tenders (it could be an interesting concept to explore both in game and as historical ships). A sea plane tender ship could use air support via consumables, I think the concept could be congruent with the proposed ASW mechanics for BBs and CAs.  

[CMFRT]
[CMFRT]
Banned
16,985 posts

If these ships are going to be sent against CVs in battles in this game, then the "historical" AA or lack thereof needs to be set aside and the ships need to be given semi-fictional refits that give them sufficient AA. 

This is especially true post-rework where the AA on some of the tier III and IV ships was crippled by the changed AA mechanics.  

[WOLF9]
Wiki Lead
16,328 posts
4,773 battles

T4 CVs don't bother me; I just ignore them.  The bot CVs and the vast majority of the human drivers are awful.  Well, except when I'm driving Yubari, which actually has some AA.  In her I try to find the CV to increase my plane kills.

• Cool 1
  • Meh 1

Members
44 posts
16,999 battles

What I find bizarre about the current state of some AA at tier IV is that WG have deliberately ignored historical AA configurations. Alberto da Giussano should be equipped with 37mm Breda AA mounts and 13.2mm heavy machine guns. Instead of giving the ship an AA configuration that would have reasonable values at tier IV; (and a range buff to 3.5km for mid-range) WG has instead given it nothing but 20mm's. Wyoming should probably receive the Arkansas refit AA (most American BB's need to receive their historical AA to emphasise their supposed "flavour" in that department). There is probably an equal number of clubbing CV players at tier IV as there are new/inexperienced CV players at the moment. Cruiser players learn very early on that sailing full broadside is not advisable, why should CV players not be taught early on that flying carelessly is not advisable either?

Edited by The_Communist_Tsar
typo
  • Cool 1

[WOSDS]
[WOSDS]
Members
129 posts
16,637 battles
7 hours ago, ElAurens said:

Give this player a cigar! problem with this is that it makes sense, a commodity rather lacking with this game's developers

[YARRR]
Members
735 posts
5,955 battles

As far as the pre dreads and carriers, when did Mikasa ever face enemy aircraft in combat, exactly?

When I am talking about a separate mode for pre dreads, I mean exactly that. NO dreadnoughts, no carriers, no ships that did not exist in the pre dred era.  I don't want the low tier early ships to be just a "training room" for new players, but a viable combat mode for those of us that have experience at this game, that still want to captain the early ships.

• Cool 1