You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Ace_04

Most Irrelevant Line

76 comments in this topic

[-K-]
Members
8,491 posts
14,883 battles

In the current state of the game, what do you feel is the most "irrelevant" line?

As in, the line that doesn't mesh with the current meta as of 0.9.6.

No right or wrong answers here.  Just seeking opinion.

Members
4,168 posts
14,887 battles

The meta to me, differs in the different game modes/environments.

I only really play randoms. So Ill go with IJN torp DDs. They get easily canceled out by alot these days. In that particular environment. 

edit: I sort of change my mind. I forgot PA DDs exsisted. Torp heavy DDs.

Edited by Rollingonit
  • Meh 1

[WOLFD]
Members
103 posts
7,281 battles
1 minute ago, Rollingonit said:

The meta to me, differs in the different game modes/environments.

I only really play randoms. So Ill go with IJN torp DDs. They get easily canceled out by alot these days. In that particular environment. 

I have to agree. It one of the first lines that I really worked hard on and by the time I got to T9 on  the torp boat line they were mostly irrelevant. Even my beloved Kamikaze is mostly a port queen these days.

• Meh 1

[TIMT]
Members
1,745 posts
5,636 battles

Russian gunboat DDs? They are DDs, which means anything that is not Halland gets chewed by CVs, and everything they can do, a french DD can do better?

• Cool 2

[WOLF5]
Supertester
5,150 posts
4,345 battles
25 minutes ago, Wye_So_Serious said:

RN heavy cruisers

Going to second this. Does anyone even play them?

[GOOF]
Members
851 posts
7,055 battles
1 minute ago, AJTP89 said:

Going to second this. Does anyone even play them?

I have the Surrey, a gift from the event, and it's a great play but positioning positioning positioning it's almost like outskirts so you can be effective but not dev strike. 

RM cruisers are better at what they do.

[SIDE]
Members
4,939 posts

German DD. Unexceptional overall and without exception. Probably too much credit at that.

Italian cruisers. Granted Brindisi and Venizia are quite good. However they aren't really better than much else at tier and the lower tier boats are just freaking horrible 

I had a better time with most of the Brit heavies than I did Italians.

• Cool 2

[META_]
Members
1,832 posts
18,969 battles
37 minutes ago, shinytrashcan said:

Russian gunboat DDs? They are DDs, which means anything that is not Halland gets chewed by CVs, and everything they can do, a french DD can do better?

I second this motion but add in the RN cruisers......i want to make the Khabarovsk work but it is so much easier in the French dds.RN cruisers I feel are not too relevant with so much radar and cv vision their best gimmick taken away in my eyes...

[FML]
Members
4,187 posts
16,213 battles
56 minutes ago, Ace_04 said:

In the current state of the game, what do you feel is the most "irrelevant" line?

As in, the line that doesn't mesh with the current meta as of 0.9.6.

No right or wrong answers here.  Just seeking opinion.

Interesting question. 

My initial reaction was PA DDs, because what is the point of them all? They are destroyers that are generally poor at contesting other DDs around caps, and you need to be alive in order to strike the enemy capital ships.  And the T10 was comically nerfed into the ground.  Still, because they have a mixture of USN, RN and Soviet DDs play styles at various tiers, so theoretically the line as a whole should be pretty resilient to meta changes. 

Agree with other posters that RN Heavy Cruisers seem pointless; all other heavy cruisers can do its job better, and the light cruisers perform a different job much better.  

Also agree that IJN torpbotes have also been left behind - stealth is really hard these days, and the relatively easily detected torpedoes dont help them. Feast or famine is hard to say it meets the meta very well.  

And it seems the German Carriers are a bit on the weak side, but I am far from an expert in such things so I'll let some carrier mains speak to this.  But - at the moment - I'm happy when its a German CV on the enemy side as I am not concerned by them. Given how OP carriers are meant to be, isnt that a damning indicment? 

[CVA16]
Members
6,490 posts
20,119 battles
7 minutes ago, thebigblue said:

German DD. Unexceptional overall and without exception. Probably too much credit at that.

I tend to agree. Nice premium or two but the line is kind of  "why?" Not horrible, just rarely the best choice.

[ARGSY]
Members
24,534 posts
18,537 battles

Pan-Asian destroyers at Tier 8 or higher. Below that they offer variety; starting at Tier 8 they are functionally no more than Deepwater clones of the American DDs at the same tier - either the same class or a closely related one.

[ARS]
Beta Testers
6,555 posts
6,459 battles
Just now, Wye_So_Serious said:

RN heavy cruisers

Very much this.  They were supposed to be relatively tanky CAs that turned out to be dev strikes waiting to happen from nearly any angle and nearly any BB while also having such short ranges that they cannot engage at ranges where dodging is very effective and they are low impact because they are just more HE spammers.  To make matters worse, immediately after RN CAs were added the Russian CA split happened and they were CAs that were actually relatively tanky, could fight from long range and use AP.

• Cool 1

Members
4,703 posts
45,706 battles

If you are not sailing Battleships, then any cruiser that fires HE at a very high rate, good maneuvering, and durability.

So long as the current system rewards fire 🔥, then there is little incentive to get other ships.

• Cool 2

[CVA16]
Members
6,490 posts
20,119 battles
10 minutes ago, UltimateNewbie said:

They are destroyers that are generally poor at contesting other DDs around caps, and you need to be alive in order to strike the enemy capital ships. 

Agree. Their guns may be the as good as whatever nations built them but in a DD vs DD fight, not having to even think about enemy torps  makes thing much easier.

[WOLFC]
Members
3,200 posts
1 hour ago, Wye_So_Serious said:

RN heavy cruisers

^^^ first thing that came to mind ... they may be surpassed by the Alt USN BBs though

Members
1,435 posts
1,865 battles

Japanese "gunboat" line until you hit the Akizuki. From tier 5 to 7 the gunboats are terrible. I think Isokaze is a better gunboat than Minekaze.

• Cool 1