Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
goantlers

Salem or Georgia?? Have enough coal for one of them...

44 comments in this topic

[PENND]
Members
7 posts
6,783 battles

Not sure which way to go on these two.  Bismarck is my favorite ship (maxed secondaries, etc) but the dispersion does drive you crazy.  Thought about Pommern, but it seems like a Biz with 12 barrels to make up for the dispersion.  You just have more chances for a hit.

Just started working thru the US BB line (at NM - love the guns).  Put together a loaded NC in Public Test, and the increased accuracy makes me really want to get up to T8 and above, just not sure i can handle handle grinding through Colorado (NY, NM, and it are SOOOOO slow).

Have worked thru US CL/CA line to T8 - have already researched Seattle & Buffalo, just haven't spent the credits.  So i'm familiar with the drawbacks of the 15K range, island hopping, etc.  Don't mind it, but have been having a lot of fun lately just burning around the map in Kirov & Budyony (can't do that with Shchors - too squishy at the higher tiers).

Don't mind the 6 gun limitation - had fun with Gneisenau, just got Graf Spee and having fun citadeling cruisers with it.  Just have to be picky about when and what you shoot at for max effectiveness.

Most reports are Georgia is more fun and varied in its game play, while Salem plays like most other US CL/CA - but with an ungodly rate of fire....

Anyone have both?

[12TF]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
9,224 posts

I like Salem but if I had to pick between those two, Georgia, no question.  It's a secondary ship though.  If you are going to build for it (and you should, it's fun) the captain isn't a great fit for the rest of the US BB line ships.

That wouldn't stop me.

• Cool 2

[PROJX]
Beta Testers
1,221 posts
5,370 battles

Salem is just a Des Moines with a better heal. Get Georgia, she is unique with her 18 in guns, French speed boost, quick reloading heal, and decent secondaries 

• Cool 1

[12TF]
9,224 posts
1 minute ago, PotatoMD said:

Salem is just a Des Moines with a better heal.

Shorter range radar as well.  It trades the radar range for the better heal.

[WORX]
Members
13,221 posts
20,079 battles

If you want to be a BB main and explore your skill set in BB play, get the Georgia.

Other then that, I am an advocate of not spending resources...

• Boring 1

[META_]
[META_]
Members
1,306 posts
14 minutes ago, goantlers said:

Not sure which way to go on these two.  Bismarck is my favorite ship (maxed secondaries, etc) but the dispersion does drive you crazy.  Thought about Pommern, but it seems like a Biz with 12 barrels to make up for the dispersion.  You just have more chances for a hit.

Just started working thru the US BB line (at NM - love the guns).  Put together a loaded NC in Public Test, and the increased accuracy makes me really want to get up to T8 and above, just not sure i can handle handle grinding through Colorado (NY, NM, and it are SOOOOO slow).

Have worked thru US CL/CA line to T8 - have already researched Seattle & Buffalo, just haven't spent the credits.  So i'm familiar with the drawbacks of the 15K range, island hopping, etc.  Don't mind it, but have been having a lot of fun lately just burning around the map in Kirov & Budyony (can't do that with Shchors - too squishy at the higher tiers).

Don't mind the 6 gun limitation - had fun with Gneisenau, just got Graf Spee and having fun citadeling cruisers with it.  Just have to be picky about when and what you shoot at for max effectiveness.

Most reports are Georgia is more fun and varied in its game play, while Salem plays like most other US CL/CA - but with an ungodly rate of fire....

Anyone have both?

Georgia is a very resilient ship, it is quick with engine boost, has very good guns you can easily aim, secondaries...

[OBS]
Members
354 posts
1,080 battles

get a salem. you can buy a georgia....cant buy salem

with real moneyz....you cant buy a salem with real moneyz but you can georgia

Edited by Mothermoy

[12TF]
9,224 posts
9 minutes ago, Navalpride33 said:

Other then that, I am an advocate of not spending resources...

What else are you going to do with them?  They have no value and cannot help you, until you exchange them for something that can.

• Cool 2

[WORX]
Members
13,221 posts
20,079 battles
7 minutes ago, Burnsy said:

What else are you going to do with them?  They have no value and cannot help you, until you exchange them for something that can.

I view this way, your position or purchasing power doesn't change at all if you just dont spend...

Now, if you really want something (for me its the new ATL Summer camo) then yes spend away... Once you spend your resources, you're at the end of the line for the next promotion (which may have a better promotional interest).

In the case of the OP, Georgia is a BB mains ship.. Not for the BB "casuals". The Salem, well as others have pointed out... We already have tech three alternatives.

If he dont spend, (in the end its his choice) he is better off for the next batch of promotional ships.

Edited by Navalpride33
  • Haha 1

[12TF]
9,224 posts
3 minutes ago, Navalpride33 said:

I view this way, your position or purchasing power doesn't change at all if you just dont spend...

Now, if you really want something (for me its the new ATL Summer camo) then yes spend away... Once you spend your resources, you're at the end of the line for the next promotion (which maybe of better interest).

In the case of the OP, Georgia is a BB mains ship.. Not for the BB "casuals". The Salem, well as others have pointed out... We already have tech three alternatives.

If he dont spend, (in the end its his choice) he is better off for the next batch of promotional ships.

That goes on forever.  There will always be unknown new ships coming down the pipe.  If you never commit, you will end up just hording resources until the end of time, which themselves, do you no good at all.  If a ship is a dud, we know about it pretty quick after it is released and Georgia is NOT a dud.

I am probably a BB "casual" and for sure a CV "main".  I absolutely love my Georgia.  Outside of my CVs, it's among my favorite ships in the game.

[FML]
Members
4,163 posts
16,112 battles
34 minutes ago, goantlers said:

Anyone have both?

I have both. I think the Georgia is much more fun to play - great speed, secondaries and decent armour, Massachusetts heal. It’s guns are fairly accurate, but with only 6 shells you can get trolled from time to time. It’s more of a flanker than a true front line battleship, it looks to dominate the flank in front of her using mains and secondaries etc, then mid-late game gets good cross shots in enemy flanks and has the speed to relocate, so plays somewhere between a Gneisenau and the Richelieu. I would definitely recommend her, but she plays nothing like the USN ‘standard’ battleships like NM, CO etc. 

The Salem is a decent ship - the bigger heal gives her some staying power in exchange for shorter radar range which makes her less helpful for the team as a radar picket ship, but it might be closer to the playstyle that you are familiar with. Personally, I always got killed in open water and found her better as an island camper. 

But I would still recommend the Georgia first. Get her before she goes!

Edited by UltimateNewbie

[WORX]
Members
13,221 posts
20,079 battles
1 minute ago, Burnsy said:

I am probably a BB "casual" and for sure a CV "main".  I absolutely love my Georgia. 

You like it which is cool, that doesn't mean he will.. I rather hoard resources for something better then to have buyers remorse.

[FML]
Members
4,163 posts
16,112 battles
4 minutes ago, Navalpride33 said:

You like it which is cool, that doesn't mean he will.. I rather hoard resources for something better then to have buyers remorse.

Post-purchase dissonance is a normal thing. Given that the Georgia is widely popular with quite a lot of players of various skill levels and experience, it’s a good likelihood (better than most in this game, including future ships) that the OP will also like her. S/he must have some interest already by suggesting it and coming to the forums for a second opinion. 

As the saying goes, you never never know if you never never go...

[META_]
[META_]
Members
1,306 posts
28 minutes ago, Burnsy said:

True :cap_book:

[12TF]
9,224 posts
18 minutes ago, Navalpride33 said:

As you can see, "better" is a very personal choice.  Personally for me, if they take her away and stuff her in a Christmas crate before I got her, I would be unhappy about it.

[PENND]
Members
7 posts
6,783 battles

thanks for all the great feedback.  

If i go georgia it WILL be a full secondary build.  To me 11K secondaries on a BB are more fun than 6K torps.

on the philosophical question of buy/save.  Want to get A) T10 Cruiser  AND B) a T8+ BB that shoots straighter than my Biz and is fun (don't want a long range sniper like Thunderer).  Spending the resources is a way to get to at least one of those goals quicker - without having to grind thru a bunch of ships.  Agree with both sides - if there is nothing there you want then save, but if you can get something you want, do it...

I've only been playing since November, and I'm curious about the comments about Georgia "going away".  How long does stuff stay available?  Any rumors on Salem going away?

[WORX]
Members
13,221 posts
20,079 battles
15 minutes ago, UltimateNewbie said:

Post-purchase dissonance is a normal thing. Given that the Georgia is widely popular with quite a lot of players of various skill levels and experience, it’s a good likelihood (better than most in this game, including future ships) that the OP will also like her. S/he must have some interest already by suggesting it and coming to the forums for a second opinion. 

As the saying goes, you never never know if you never never go...

Popularity viewed by how many people purchased her is one dynamic. This can be BB mains buying her out knowing she is a great ship...

I would also point out the other side, the amount of dedication needed to have fun in a Georgia is high. I would recommend other BBs like

• MASSACHUSETTS
  • JEAN BERT
  • Mushashi
  • Mighty MO
  • Alsace

Just to name a few as alternatives... IMO, I think the Georgia is for dedicated BB mains or people who will change to play more BB matches. IF you're a say off again/on again BB guy, the Georgia is not for him... They're so many other alternative ships that are just as fun and capable.

Edited by Navalpride33
  • Haha 1

[UN1]
Members
1,385 posts
4,471 battles

There are some that don't click with the Georgia, as she's not the easiest to play (unlike Mass), but I think she's a ton of fun and very strong.

She's not a T9 Masshole though. Very different playstyle. 

[12TF]
9,224 posts
16 minutes ago, Navalpride33 said:

Popularity viewed by how many people purchased her is one dynamic. This can be BB mains buying her out knowing she is a great ship...

I would also point out the other side, the amount of dedication needed to have fun in a Georgia is high. I would recommend other BBs like

• MASSACHUSETTS
  • JEAN BERT
  • Mushashi
  • Mighty MO
  • Alsace

Just to name a few as alternatives... IMO, I think the Georgia is for dedicated BB mains or people who will change to play more BB matches. IF you're a say off again/on again BB guy, the Georgia is not for him... They're so many other alternative ships that are just as fun and capable.

The Mass is for cash only, not resources.

The JB, Musashi and MO, are all unattainable ships.  Outside of crazy gambling on Christmas crates one time a year (with money). The Alsace is the only ship on your list that he CAN get...but it's line ship, he can have it for no resources.

So given your list, he can't use his coal to get any of them.

• Cool 1

[FML]
Members
4,163 posts
16,112 battles
11 minutes ago, Navalpride33 said:

• MASSACHUSETTS
  • JEAN BERT
  • Mushashi
  • Mighty MO
  • Alsace

Of your list, Massachusetts requires $ (or saving up a LOT of random doubloons over a long period of time) so if the OP is a free to play then that’s not an option. JB and Musashi are not available. If Mighty Mo is the Missouri, she is also not available. If it meant the Montana, then it plays differently given the poor secondaries, no shorter heal or lower speed, plus getting a Georgia is less helpful for captain retraining if you have already finished the line. Alsace is a fair point - I could have used her rather than Richelieu in my example, but main guns on Alsace (many guns low accuracy) aren’t exactly like Georgia’s. 

[WORX]
Members
13,221 posts
20,079 battles
3 hours ago, Burnsy said:

The Mass is for cash only, not resources. 

3 hours ago, UltimateNewbie said:

Of your list,

The post also states. "Just to name a few as alternatives"

Its in post #17.

They may not like the current ships for coal choices. The good thing, the promotion changes/rotates to different ships.

GL guys

GL OP... In the end its your choice.

Edited by Navalpride33

[12TF]
9,224 posts
Just now, Navalpride33 said:

The post also stats. "Just to name a few as alternatives"

Its in post #17.

They may not like the current ships for coal choices. The good thing, the promotion changes.

GL guys

GL OP... In the end its your choice.

I understand but they are not options for him.  You are suggesting things that are impossible for him to aquire.

I dunno why you think the Georgia is not for "casuals", it's just a BB.

[CO-OP]
Members
3,364 posts
29,993 battles

If your absolutely 50-50 on both ships, I would go Salem.  She has been available for coal longer, and more likely to leave the armory.  Second, Salem is a t-10 ship which means that you would get an extra super container for the WoWS anniversary.

• Cool 1

151 posts
4,371 battles
31 minutes ago, goantlers said:

thanks for all the great feedback.  

If i go georgia it WILL be a full secondary build.  To me 11K secondaries on a BB are more fun than 6K torps.

on the philosophical question of buy/save.  Want to get A) T10 Cruiser  AND B) a T8+ BB that shoots straighter than my Biz and is fun (don't want a long range sniper like Thunderer).  Spending the resources is a way to get to at least one of those goals quicker - without having to grind thru a bunch of ships.  Agree with both sides - if there is nothing there you want then save, but if you can get something you want, do it...

I've only been playing since November, and I'm curious about the comments about Georgia "going away".  How long does stuff stay available?  Any rumors on Salem going away?

Salem has been around for quite some time and shows no signs of being removed since it's a completely balanced and relatively unpopular ship at the proper T10 pricing. I'm surprised they haven't removed Georgia yet since it's pretty much broken.

The problem with buying Salem imo is that it's really just an inferior Des Moines. The superheal sounds amazing in practice but from what I've seen and heard from everyone who has played Salem, you simply aren't tanky enough to take full advantage of it and it usually ends up only being marginally better than Des Moines heal. You trade away your long range radar for it, and so overall you are playing a selfish sidegrade to Des Moines. It's by no means a bad cruiser, but it just seems like such a pointless waste of coal when you can get almost the exact same experience grinding to Des Moines.

I would almost say you're better off buying Yoshino if you want a T10 cruiser, but there's the heavy caveat that Yoshino is a supercruiser and not a true cruiser like Salem. If I wanted a T10 coal cruiser I would probably wait and hope WG releases another T10 coal cruiser that isn't a gimmicky ship like Smolensk.

All of this is to say that if you feel like spending your coal now, you'd probably be best served by Georgia. Thunderer isn't a bad option, but it is rather fragile and doesn't have good secondaries so I can understand why you don't want it. Marceau is a total departure from anything you'd be comfortable with, Yoshino is definitely a solid ship but doesn't offer traditional cruiser gameplay, and Pommern is a secondary monster with an awful main battery. Salem is a solid traditional cruiser and I would maybe recommend it if you never planned on grinding to Des Moines, but if you're already at Buffalo then just push through to Des Moines and you can save your coal (unless you fall in love with Des Moines and absolutely NEED a "premium" DM that you can play all day and make credits in.)

[PVE]
Members
8,497 posts
24,554 battles
2 hours ago, goantlers said:

Anyone have both?

Salem not only has the super heal...it also has the super post battle costs.

If you have no $ for a T10 camo for the DM your post battle costs will be 180k...even if you get the camo for DM your post battle costs will be 90k.

Salem gets the camo for the coal price + it isn't a premium but a special ship...which means it also gets a built in 50% post battle bonus bringing the costs to 45k...THAT'S HUGE!!! (135k credits/battle).

What also hasn't been mentioned though is not only does your radar only go 8.5km (I think that's right...been awhile)...but you have to choose between radar & hydro...on DM you get both in seperated slots. I haven't played in many months so not sure if you need to choose between hydro & DFAA on DM or not but it definitely gets it's own slot for radar.

Not sure if Salem gets DFAA...& if it does not sure what else goes in that slot or if it is seperated. Sorry...mainly just pointing out the radar & hydro choice needed on Salem but may have caused more uncertainty w/all of my other undefinite data.

Don't have Georgia but it is my next coal ship to get if I ever get back into playing...but have heard many good reports of it on forums.

Edit: I personally like to waittosavw up enough for 2 ships so if 1 of the others was announced to be pulled (like Smoly in my case) I'd have enough to get it before it went away & could continue saving up for the next 1.

Edited by IfYouSeeKhaos

Sign in to follow this