You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
mozoilla02

Massa Secondary Question

17 comments in this topic

[TXC]
Members
75 posts
5,616 battles

I just got the ship yesterday, I noticed that the secondaries do very little damage, if to none at all. I have AFT, BFT, and MS but it still does not damage, is ifhe the key to success or am I missing something, cause i thought this ship was a secondary monster.

Edit: Heres an example from a game i just played, the secondaries really did nothing.

Screenshot (18).png

Edited by mozoilla02
Bruh

[TIMT]
Members
1,708 posts
5,591 battles

The secondaries on Massa have very low penetration values, only 21mm without IFHE, and about 26mm with. This is not enough to pen anything but the superstructure or T6-7 cruisers. So you are relying mostly on fires and superstructure hits. IFHE is somewhat of a mixed bag for Massa, as it helps when you are top tier, but not at all when bottom tier. 4 pts are better spend on FP or CE, imho, but opinions vary.

Unfortunately they are not the damage dealers like german secondaries, but the rate of fire, accuracy and fire chance are what makes them good. They are highly situational though and you rely on fires a lot.

SuperTest Coordinator, Beta Testers
7,026 posts
13,128 battles

They are designed to capitalize on additional damage mostly by setting fires. The fires are about 15% damage if uncontrolled, and due to the range and accuracy, they're very consistent at getting that extra bit of damage in a brawl. They will not "mow" down ships though, if that's what you're expecting.

[WHEE]
Members
150 posts
3,949 battles

You kit Massa out with the full secondary build, it’ll allow you to do two awesome things. 

1) Start fires left and right with the occasional superstructure damage. 
2) Hunt down DDs with a vengeance. 

That last one is what you should expect for your primary return on investment. You’re not getting huge boosts to your damage like with the German 6-inchers. You go on offense against DDs. If you play it right, you’ll be every DDs worst nightmare. 

• Cool 2

[-K-]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
7,916 posts
10,311 battles
1 hour ago, mozoilla02 said:

I just got the ship yesterday, I noticed that the secondaries do very little damage, if to none at all. I have AFT, BFT, and MS but it still does not damage, is ifhe the key to success or am I missing something, cause i thought this ship was a secondary monster.

Edit: Heres an example from a game i just played, the secondaries really did nothing.

Screenshot (18).png

As others have said, your secondary alpha is much better against T6-T7 cruisers and DDs (Mass is a fearsome DD hunter). Against harder targets fires help a lot; you simply didn't get lucky with them here. Make sure you run the two signals that increase the fire chance

And BTW, I think SI is a better choice than BFT. That fifth heal comes in handy quite often, because of how short the cool down is.

[RKLES]
[RKLES]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
6,690 posts
23,735 battles

AFT, BFT, FP....

Secondaries firing off on both sides.

Set fires.

[CDOH]
Members
901 posts
8,510 battles

Fires are the key.  I use fire flags and Demo Expert. also you want to keep the secondaries firing at range  around 8-10km .   You want the shells to plung into the super structure.  The closer you are to your target the more likely you will be to hit the hull.

Edited by Rothgar_57

Members
52 posts
5,392 battles
34 minutes ago, vak_ said:

As others have said, your secondary alpha is much better against T6-T7 cruisers and DDs (Mass is a fearsome DD hunter). Against harder targets fires help a lot; you simply didn't get lucky with them here. Make sure you run the two signals that increase the fire chance

And BTW, I think SI is a better choice than BFT. That fifth heal comes in handy quite often, because of how short the cool down is.

^^This. I couldn't explain it better. 

[HINON]
Alpha Tester
25,771 posts
21,681 battles

It's also a matter of expectations. They're secondaries, your main guns are still going to be the main source of damage. Also, they're just a bunch of 127mm guns, they're not going to sweep the red team before you. They're meant as a deterrent for small ships and to light some fires on big ones, and they do that better than arguably most other ships in the game.

[WOLF5]
Members
1,483 posts
11,029 battles

Prior to the IFHE rework, IFHE on the Massachusetts caused the secondaries to be incredible damage dealers, but per the postings above now they mainly set fires and also as noted are incredibly effective in DD protection. @LittleWhiteMouse has done a great job in explaining the use and non-use of IFHE, especially on the Mass (and Georgia).....

Edited by DJC_499

[BB35]
Members
559 posts
4,892 battles

I have use the full secondary build, most of the time the secondary guns and fires account for about 30% of the total damage.

[PVE]
Members
292 posts

Are the Georgia secondaries exactly the same or are there differences?

Thinking about getting her or the Pom, although the game seems to becoming fairly saturated with the Pom.

[WPORT]
Members
9,820 posts
14,329 battles
10 hours ago, mozoilla02 said:

Just a check-list trouble-shooting question:
Are you actually selecting targets for your secondary batteries to fire at?
Manual Control For Secondary batteries skill requires a player to manually select targets.

Next checklist question:
Are you sailing your ship in a way that brings the secondary batteries in to firing range and allows them a clear shot at the target?

Edit:  Okay, I see you have 181 hits.  Must be doing something to enable hits on targets.  :-)

Edited by Wolfswetpaws

[BB35]
Members
559 posts
4,892 battles
19 minutes ago, BugsBunni said:

Are the Georgia secondaries exactly the same or are there differences?

Thinking about getting her or the Pom, although the game seems to becoming fairly saturated with the Pom.

Georgia as the same secondaries as the Mass.

[GOB]
Members
2,736 posts
8 hours ago, DJC_499 said:

Prior to the IFHE rework, IFHE on the Massachusetts caused the secondaries to be incredible damage dealers,

This is my main problem with WG and why I will never trust them again with premium purchases or even coal .....

By the time I get the ships I worked so hard to get to they do some kind of nerf to something that makes it MUCH less than what it was before I got it.  It's like you have to be the first to get a ship ( $$$$) to enjoy what it is before the rest earn it the long way and get the nerfed version.

Powercreep is one thing but universal nerfs that take away the little advantage ships get so people will have to buy the new ships seems to be a pattern here.

True or not that is my experience and why I feel the way I do.

Edited by Col_Nasty