Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Sabot_100

Explain this (ramming)

7 comments in this topic

[CVA16]
Members
6,489 posts
20,119 battles

It was about midnight, which might be a factor, we have 6 bots on our team. T9-10 match. A green bot FDG is fighting a red FDG. I'm charging for a torp run (Harugumo leaving smoke) but the green BB is in the way. The green FDG  is getting the worst of it.  Bots will be bots and the 2 BBs eventually close in and ram. Green bot sinks, red FDG still  has 3000 health (but is probably flooding). After staring incredulous for a few seconds, I manage to sink him with guns before he gets his guns on me.

Visually it looked like a ram and both ships had massive drops in their health bars simultaneously. Impact angle was probably 60 degrees.

Shouldn't that have been  mutual destruction?  Same ship, both were damaged.

Are there so many excess ramming flags floating around that the bots sometimes fly them?

Edited by Sabot_100
update

[WOLF3]
Members
31,036 posts
26,068 battles

The bigger the ship, the much more favorable it is for them against a smaller ship in a ram.  I've seen it plenty of times a desperate DD in close range get run over by a Battleship in Randoms with very little damage done to the BB.

giphy-downsized-large.gif

A personal experience was from years ago on Fault Line map.  Random Battle.

300px-Fault_Line.png

The two big islands out east, with that narrow channel running west - east between them?  An enemy BB was heading west through there.  I was in a DD and I went in for a ram from the western entrance.  His salvo misses me, I ram him, but I barely took any damage off and he got a Die Hard achievement for it.  I've seen Cruisers get walloped to hell by a Battleship also, without taking as much off a BB.

Even funnier, during Submarine Battles on test server, a submarine player tried to ram my New Mexico.  He took maybe 1k of damage off me.  Too bad there's no Achievements.

Beware the Big Boys.

[STURM]
Members
738 posts
6,195 battles
1 hour ago, Sabot_100 said:

It was about midnight, which might be a factor, we have 6 bots on our team. T9-10 match. A green bot FDG is fighting a red FDG. I'm charging for a torp run (Harugumo leaving smoke) but the green BB is in the way. The green FDG  is getting the worst of it.  Bots will be bots and the 2 BBs eventually close in and ram. Green bot sinks, red FDG still  has 3000 health (but is probably flooding). After staring incredulous for a few seconds, I manage to sink him with guns before he gets his guns on me.

Visually it looked like a ram and both ships had massive drops in their health bars simultaneously. Impact angle was probably 60 degrees.

Shouldn't that have been  mutual destruction?  Same ship, both were damaged.

Are there so many excess ramming flags floating around that the bots sometimes fly them?

The only thing I can think of is that the green FDG spawned with the stock hull, while the red FDG spawned with the upgraded hull that adds about 10K health.

Other than that, I've got nothing.

• Cool 1

[HINON]
Members
14,223 posts

Were they going at relatively slow velocities? 

Edited by RipNuN2

[CVA16]
Members
6,489 posts
20,119 battles
5 hours ago, RipNuN2 said:

Were they going at relatively slow velocities? 

Not low enough. They both lost a lot of HP on the collision which indicates it was not low-speed.. Muninn77's explanation might explain it although I thought both had more than 10K damage before the collision. Have to watch the replay again.

Tried to upload the replay here but it failed.

Edited by Sabot_100

[CVA16]
Members
6,489 posts
20,119 battles
9 hours ago, Muninn77 said:

The only thing I can think of is that the green FDG spawned with the stock hull, while the red FDG spawned with the upgraded hull that adds about 10K health.

Just rewatched the  replay and the red FDG had about 77000 HP at collision. It was healing prior to the ram which is why I thought he had lower HP.  It came out of the ram with about 3K and was apparently flooding. So that's about 74K damage. (its tough to get accurate numbers due to overlapping ship icon flags). Stock FDG has 72K HP so that would be about right for different hulls being the cause.

Edited by Sabot_100

[BEA5T]
Members
5,308 posts
24,204 battles

Bots ram bots all of the time to speed up the game and eliminate potential "value" for the real players.....  Bots ram you for the same reason.  And yes, I carry a ramming flag when I drive a BB.  Especially, a brawling BB......

Sign in to follow this