Jump to content
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
AAddmmiirraall

Are KRIEGSMARINE CVs real?

29 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

Members
35 posts
1,005 battles

Please help me find any information about legitimate Kriegsmarine CVs, please.

Almost nothing to be found about actual aircraft carriers.  Some trash about airplane tenders in world war 1, and some other transport ships.

*

I really look forward to WoWS introducing the famous CANADIAN BATTLESHIPS of world war 2.  Or, who could forget those amazing NEW ZEALANDER AIRCRAFT CARRIERS?  If I had to pick though, I think WoWS should focus on a WW2 CHINESE CRUISER event.  That makes a great deal of sense.

  • Boring 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,564
[REVY]
Members
8,422 posts
6,118 battles
5 minutes ago, AAddmmiirraall said:

Please help me find any information about legitimate Kriegsmarine CVs, please.

Almost nothing to be found about actual aircraft carriers.  Some trash about airplane tenders in world war 1, and some other transport ships.

*

I really look forward to WoWS introducing the famous CANADIAN BATTLESHIPS of world war 2.  Or, who could forget those amazing NEW ZEALANDER AIRCRAFT CARRIERS?  If I had to pick though, I think WoWS should focus on a WW2 CHINESE CRUISER event.  That makes a great deal of sense.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_aircraft_carriers_of_Germany

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
35 posts
1,005 battles
Just now, Sventex said:

OK... not really my question.  I asked if any of them were "legitimate" or real.

I suppose you answered my question.  The first line of the wiki, (read it earlier today),

The German navies—the Kaiserliche Marine, the Reichsmarine, and the Kriegsmarine—all planned to build aircraft carriers, though none would ever enter service. 

*

So.... the German navies did not have any aircraft carriers that would enter service/be of wartime service.

WoWS nerfed the USN CV line to promote the KM CV line - meanwhile, the KM CVs never existed in reality?

What sick joke is this?!

  • Meh 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
35 posts
1,005 battles
1 minute ago, Raven114 said:

No they are all paper ships.

Awesome!  Broken game mechanics and moving off in to the realm of fantasy....

Really looking forward to seeing those HMCS battleships and aircraft carriers.

  • Meh 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8,946
[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester
28,344 posts
14,924 battles

The Italians were actually farther along in building them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
35 posts
1,005 battles
5 minutes ago, Nevermore135 said:

Graf Zeppelin and Weser were under construction but never finished.

So... just what I wrote.

Probably the best "documentary" on KM CVs on Youtube.  

I really wonder how much time and money was wasted on KM CVs.  I can't imagine how low the support for these must be among the player base.

 

  • Boring 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Alpha Tester
1,375 posts
12,774 battles

American CVs are still the best in the game. Also it isn't like there are not other paper ships in game. (Montana, Izumo, Shikishima, Nicholas, most Russian BBs and high tier cruisers, GK and Hindenburg) how come this is the line that broke your ships keel?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,308
[GWG]
Members
7,616 posts
14,512 battles

What irks me is that the US has the Nicholas as a Tier 5 DD..   SERIOUSLY??  The US has such a wide variety of choices of REAL FLOATING DDs to choose from.

Sad part is that, for it's tier, it's the most OP ship of the line.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,757
[WOLF8]
Members
8,132 posts
6,782 battles
3 minutes ago, Fog_Heavy_Cruiser_Takao said:

Also it isn't like there are not other paper ships in game. (Montana, Izumo, Shikishima, Nicholas, most Russian BBs and high tier cruisers, GK and Hindenburg) how come this is the line that broke the your ships keel?

^ This.

It's not just the German CV's. There're quite a selection of fake made-up vessels in the game, which never existed IRL... and some of them have been in the game for years.

If you ask me, it's kind of too late for people like OP to raise any fuss over fake ships. That ship has sailed a long time ago... and I meant that pun, lol.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
980
[-TKS-]
[-TKS-]
Members
1,159 posts
8,956 battles
17 minutes ago, AAddmmiirraall said:

So... just what I wrote.

Probably the best "documentary" on KM CVs on Youtube.  

I really wonder how much time and money was wasted on KM CVs.  I can't imagine how low the support for these must be among the player base.

 

Idk I like em and support it. Yeah they need to release stuff because this game is what 5 years old and they need to make money so there you go

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
35 posts
1,005 battles
4 minutes ago, Merc_R_Us said:

Idk I like em and support it. Yeah they need to release stuff because this game is what 5 years old and they need to make money so there you go

StarCraft 2 is ten years old!  BLIZZARD released a massive content dump for it.  AND, didn't break the game in the process.

Straight up, WG is going to lose money because I've cancelled my subscription.

Bring on the Canadian submarine-aircraft carriers.... that would make some money I bet.

  • Boring 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
465
[STURM]
Members
738 posts
6,197 battles

Even the "real" ships in this game play in ways that are frankly nonsensical when compared to reality, so why are you whining about this in particular?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
35 posts
1,005 battles
9 minutes ago, Blorgh2017 said:

^ This.

It's not just the German CV's. There're quite a selection of fake made-up vessels in the game, which never existed IRL... and some of them have been in the game for years.

If you ask me, it's kind of too late for people like OP to raise any fuss over fake ships. That ship has sailed a long time ago... and I meant that pun, lol.

The KM CV line is the line that broke my keel because WG had to nerf the USN CV line to float the KM CV line.  That's the problem.  I honestly don't care about the paper-ships, but they should be moderately reasonable  (Weser, and Graf Zep).

This is my argument here:

In brief, KM CVs are not special, but WG needs to make money.  WG solution is to nerf the USN CV line.  Why am I pissed?  I ground and paid my way to TIER X MIDWAY and then get the rocket plane reticle nerf.  

So... to sell more content WG has to nerf my ships?  

I'll just play any thing else.

  • Boring 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
372
[-A-8-]
Members
574 posts
23,006 battles
28 minutes ago, AAddmmiirraall said:

So... just what I wrote.

Probably the best "documentary" on KM CVs on Youtube.  

I really wonder how much time and money was wasted on KM CVs.  I can't imagine how low the support for these must be among the player base.

 

If support was low in the player base then they wouldn't have added them. The fact that since the CV rework we've had the RN as well as the KM lines added shows the support is there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
35 posts
1,005 battles
2 minutes ago, wildgooseman said:

If support was low in the player base then they wouldn't have added them. The fact that since the CV rework we've had the RN as well as the KM lines added shows the support is there.

Reasonable, but you cannot be certain.  There's no shortage of games that continue down paths that kill the game.  Similarly, lots of games are trash at launch but redeem themselves.  Most recently, the FALLOUT franchise has been through a renaissance.  There are a few like that.... pretty sure that The Sims was literally unplayable at launch.

I think it's reasonable that this content is being added  (after 5 years) because the commander grind is so long.  If I'm going to pick a nation, and I'm not sure what ship line I will like playing, I had better not pick the KM or RN (if they don;t have those ship types).  The content is added so that those players will feel ok with their choice of nation.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
530
[JFSOC]
[JFSOC]
Members
1,678 posts
5,133 battles

Not only were they "paper" ships, but some of them were OMG awful as planned, like the conversion of liners to carriers.  The Japanese did this with two German liners they acquired from Germany because they were trapped in Japan.  These became Hiyo and Junyo.  The conversions weren't perfect, but they were usable and functional.

The German equivalent saw a ship with huge added torpedo defense bulges, added armor, a large island, etc.   It probably would have been quicker to just build a new ship...

The GZ used an insanely complex catapult system with collapsible trollies for the planes.

 ed4dfdbe65f26f8e09e43f46e5f6fdf0.jpg

That's a test version launching an Me 109.

The trolley would then be struck down to the platform just below the catapult and moved back into the hanger to load another plane using an overhead crane system.  There was to also be a deck elevator system that could raise the trolley to lift the plane into place.  It was overly complex, fragile, and the trollies were few in number so you could only have so many planes loaded.  This would have slowed cycle times for launches and limited the size of strikes.

The whole of what the Germans were doing at the time was complex, susceptible to damage and breakdown, and really just stupid.  I suspect this is a major reason the GZ didn't get finished.

By comparison, the US system of launching using catapults was quick, straight-forward, and simple.

 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
980
[-TKS-]
[-TKS-]
Members
1,159 posts
8,956 battles
16 minutes ago, AAddmmiirraall said:

StarCraft 2 is ten years old!  BLIZZARD released a massive content dump for it.  AND, didn't break the game in the process.

Straight up, WG is going to lose money because I've cancelled my subscription.

Bring on the Canadian submarine-aircraft carriers.... that would make some money I bet.

Oh you think they are op? I think the citadel AP bomb damage is OP but the regular pen damage is too weak. But what can ya do.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
35 posts
1,005 battles
9 minutes ago, Merc_R_Us said:

Oh you think they are op? I think the citadel AP bomb damage is OP but the regular pen damage is too weak. But what can ya do.

 

BLIZZARD ENTERTAINMENT, the  most profitable gaming company in history, listened to fans.

When StarCraft 2 was in development, the Protoss Carrier, an iconic unit, was going to be scrapped.  Players spoke up, game makers listened, and they used their heads.  

StarCraft 2 is so entirely dominant that after 10 years!, there still are not game makers pushing in to the RTS genre.  

That's the value of thinking ahead.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,076
Alpha Tester
6,680 posts
3,338 battles
1 hour ago, AAddmmiirraall said:

Please help me find any information about legitimate Kriegsmarine CVs, please.

Almost nothing to be found about actual aircraft carriers.  Some trash about airplane tenders in world war 1, and some other transport ships.

*

I really look forward to WoWS introducing the famous CANADIAN BATTLESHIPS of world war 2.  Or, who could forget those amazing NEW ZEALANDER AIRCRAFT CARRIERS?  If I had to pick though, I think WoWS should focus on a WW2 CHINESE CRUISER event.  That makes a great deal of sense.

The only one that actually got built, i.e. put in the water, was the Graf Zeppelin. Even then she was never actually completed because Germany's steel priorities shifted.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12,893
[WOLF3]
Members
31,043 posts
26,068 battles
1 hour ago, BrushWolf said:

The Italians were actually farther along in building them.

While reading about Italy's forays for Carriers, I found it funny that the Germans were there trying to advise them about their Carrier program :Smile_teethhappy:  The Germans never completed a single carrier, much less operate one with its own air group, and here they were, "advising" the Italians.

@Murotsu  So much for "German Engineering" :Smile_popcorn:

It's one thing if that system was attempted in the 1920s when naval aviation was doing a lot of wild experiments and advanced in technology.  But this is the late 1930s now.  Several navies have shown what's possible with Carriers and aircraft suitable for use.  Yet here are the Germans, in the literal dark ages of naval aviation.

 

And in WoWS they got a FULL LINE of Carriers.  Never mind that they never had even the Bf109 nor Ju87 actually working on a functional carrier, but we got Bf110s and other sh*t operating.  There was a thread where some people wanted Me262s on German Carriers.  To that I was busting out in laughter!

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
530
[JFSOC]
[JFSOC]
Members
1,678 posts
5,133 battles
4 minutes ago, 1Sherman said:

The only one that actually got built, i.e. put in the water, was the Graf Zeppelin. Even then she was never actually completed because Germany's steel priorities shifted.

I doubt that was the reason.  I'd put more of it on the insane catapult system, the Luftwaffe's resistance to providing the planes and pilots (and yes, these planes and pilots were to be Luftwaffe not Kriegsmarine as Göring wasn't about to relinquish even the handful of planes and pilots from his control.), and a realization that one carrier was largely useless in a situation with a navy that had never operated carriers at sea before.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,076
Alpha Tester
6,680 posts
3,338 battles
Just now, Murotsu said:

I doubt that was the reason.  I'd put more of it on the insane catapult system, the Luftwaffe's resistance to providing the planes and pilots (and yes, these planes and pilots were to be Luftwaffe not Kriegsmarine as Göring wasn't about to relinquish even the handful of planes and pilots from his control.), and a realization that one carrier was largely useless in a situation with a navy that had never operated carriers at sea before.

From what I've read, the steel priorities were a big factor. As the German surface fleet was bombed and shot to oblivion, Donitz's U-Boats became more and more vital to the Kriegsmarine's efforts. A CV would have just been an easy target in the close confines of the North Sea. Likewise, they probably realized that with the North Sea, Arctic convoy routes, and the Mediterranean (the three main theatres of naval warfare Germany operated in) easily covered by land-based airpower, having a CV was not only taking up materials that could be used to build more tanks to be destroyed (and to break down) in Russia and North Africa or more U-Boats to be sunk in the Atlantic, but was also mildly redundant.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×