Jump to content
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
_Average_Joe

Summer Season - PTS Bait and Switch

10 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

581
[ICOP]
[ICOP]
Members
535 posts
25,061 battles

WG does many things well, it is why I spend so much of my time playing WOWS.  I enjoy driving the ships, playing the game, and I've met many people online whom I consider to be virtual friends.  So I'll take a lot of abuse from WG before I find something else to do with my time.

However, I have to state what is in my opinion a complete and total 'bait and switch' over on the PTS.  The first two rounds of 'Summer Season' could be completed in co-op.  I spent extra time over there so I could be assured that I could again win that stupid flag that nobody notices.  This round, however, only allowed credits in Random and Ranked battles.  I'm not opposed to playing Randoms, but due to the low participation on the test server I could grow infirm (I am already old) waiting in the queue.  Ranked is not my cup of tea, so I've opted out of PTS and the pursuit of Summer Season for this release.

If WG wants me to continue to help test new releases, then 'mistakes' such as they just made must end.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,784
[SOFOP]
Members
2,478 posts
15,318 battles

The wait is generally really not that long, especially if you do it on Thurs/Friday.  And there is very little toxicity...atleast compared to live.

Edited by Old_Baldy_One

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8,935
[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester
28,325 posts
14,923 battles
5 minutes ago, Old_Baldy_One said:

The wait is generally really not that long, especially if you do it on Thurs/Friday.  And there is very little toxicity...atleast compared to live.

No one really cares if the win or not and they get to try really odd captain and ship builds for free.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
109
[STW-A]
Members
282 posts

I'm a regular participant in the summer season, and I'm sorry OP, but I think your recollection of this summer season isn't completely accurate.

For Summer season #1, the objectives were only doable in Random and Ranked battles.  This was stated on the website, and in the game client.

For Summer season #2, the objectives were stated on the website as doable only in Random battles, HOWEVER, the PTS game client was miscoded and allowed the objectives to be done in Random and/or Coop.  In addition, during Summer Season #2, the incompleted objectives (if any) of summer season #1 were also miscoded as doable in Random or Coop.

For Summer season #3, however, these errors in coding were removed, and all objectives in #3, #2 and #1 are doable only in ranked and random (though they left the random or coop for the cv objectives.)

There was no 'Bait and Switch" (at least not this time), just the unintended 'gift' of being able to do the objectives #2 (and #1 during the #2 weekends) quickly in coop.

As for waiting times in queue, for Ranked battles on the PTS you'll want to play in the mid-afternoons on Thursday/Friday/Saturday during the first weekend of the PTS to have a wait time of 'only' a few minutes.  (forget the second weekend for ranked.)  For Random battles, the queue will be less than 5 minutes as long as you queue with a ship type that results in an EVEN number of ships waiting in the queue (albeit for a smaller than a usual random battle.)  Playing during the EU and CIS prime times (generally noon to 5pm est) will give you the shortest waiting times, as the majority of players on the PTS are from those servers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,397
[DVYJC]
Members
4,208 posts
10,819 battles
1 hour ago, Old_Baldy_One said:

The wait is generally really not that long, especially if you do it on Thurs/Friday.  And there is very little toxicity...atleast compared to live.

I bet it's just as toxic, it's just that I have no idea what the toxic people are saying in Russian.

I did find that if you we taking more than a minute or two to get a match, switching tiers helped a lot.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
713 posts
48 minutes ago, RainbowFartingUnicorn said:

I bet it's just as toxic, it's just that I have no idea what the toxic people are saying in Russian.

I did find that if you we taking more than a minute or two to get a match, switching tiers helped a lot.

True. I was trolling around in CV's and I'm pretty sure whatever I was being told in Russian wasn't nice!

Low tiers take a loooong time. T8 up matches pretty quick.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
581
[ICOP]
[ICOP]
Members
535 posts
25,061 battles
1 hour ago, Seaman_Rookie said:

I'm a regular participant in the summer season, and I'm sorry OP, but I think your recollection of this summer season isn't completely accurate.

For Summer season #1, the objectives were only doable in Random and Ranked battles.  This was stated on the website, and in the game client.

For Summer season #2, the objectives were stated on the website as doable only in Random battles, HOWEVER, the PTS game client was miscoded and allowed the objectives to be done in Random and/or Coop.  In addition, during Summer Season #2, the incompleted objectives (if any) of summer season #1 were also miscoded as doable in Random or Coop.

For Summer season #3, however, these errors in coding were removed, and all objectives in #3, #2 and #1 are doable only in ranked and random (though they left the random or coop for the cv objectives.)

There was no 'Bait and Switch" (at least not this time), just the unintended 'gift' of being able to do the objectives #2 (and #1 during the #2 weekends) quickly in coop.

As for waiting times in queue, for Ranked battles on the PTS you'll want to play in the mid-afternoons on Thursday/Friday/Saturday during the first weekend of the PTS to have a wait time of 'only' a few minutes.  (forget the second weekend for ranked.)  For Random battles, the queue will be less than 5 minutes as long as you queue with a ship type that results in an EVEN number of ships waiting in the queue (albeit for a smaller than a usual random battle.)  Playing during the EU and CIS prime times (generally noon to 5pm est) will give you the shortest waiting times, as the majority of players on the PTS are from those servers.

OK, thanks for straightening me out @Seaman_Rookie .  I was remembering finishing season #1 and all of #2 when I made the post.  So if there was a coding error, then I suppose I benefited from it.  

I play a lot, but weekends are often a challenge since the grandkids often are here along with their families.  It's hard to play ranked with a 3 year old in your lap.   :Smile_Default:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,397
[DVYJC]
Members
4,208 posts
10,819 battles
1 hour ago, ItsSubmersible said:

True. I was trolling around in CV's and I'm pretty sure whatever I was being told in Russian wasn't nice!

Low tiers take a loooong time. T8 up matches pretty quick.

Tier IX was the worst for me - I gave up at 17 minutes waiting in queue. I switched to Tier VIII and Tier X, and the wait was down to under two minutes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
109
[STW-A]
Members
282 posts

I should have mentioned -- for Random battles, play tier X.  Everyone likes to play the tier Xs that they don't have on the live server, especially when you can try different modules and captain builds at no cost.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×