Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Hapa_Fodder

Armchair Admirals: the Battle of Savo Island

4 comments in this topic

[D-H-O]
-Members-
4,756 posts
15,709 battles

Our heroes return next Friday, to deliver a hefty payload of knowledge surrounding the 1942 battle of Savo Island. Drop us your questions and join the debate!

Read it on the portal

[WOLF9]
Wiki Lead
16,328 posts
4,773 battles

Okay, I call shenanigans.  Jingles is in clean white, sipping tea.  In reality he would be covered in cat hair and dog prints, sipping whatever Rita had lately concocted.  (Also, wearing a cover in the club room.)

Members
43 posts
23,331 battles

I would highly recommend a read of the report of Hepburn Inquiry, the official investigation of the Savo debacle.  It is enlightening of the state of collective mind of the US Navy on the subject of surface warfare and the politics of command.  I found a microfilm copy in the Naval War College Eccles Library.. Only one officer of all involved is excoriated, CAPT Howard Bode of the USS Chicago, who responds to the report by shooting himself in quarters in the Canal Zone.  Others who could or should have been called out, such as RADM Crutchley, RAN, and CAPT Riefkohl of the USS Vincennes (senior officer in the Northern Group, got a pass.  Seems Hepburn gave Crutchley a pass as he was an Allied Flag Officer. Riefkohl may have goitten a pass due to his families ties to the CinC and political influence in Puerto RIco. (He will make RADM but never have a surface command again.) Politics of blame. ANd one of the War at Sea's most telling photograph's: USS Quincy on fire stem to stern with Vincennes of fire to the left end and Astoria barely visible on fire to the right edge. 

savo-island.jpg

[PPNA1]
[PPNA1]
Beta Testers
2,000 posts
24,292 battles

My math is rather rudimentary but by my count its only 10 allied warships, not 50.

Sign in to follow this