You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Herr_Reitz

ST, changes to AA and detectability ranges by air

53 comments in this topic

[V_KNG]
Beta Testers
13,197 posts

https://blog.worldofwarships.com/blog/63

• CONCEPTION TEST

ST, CHANGES TO AA AND DETECTABILITY RANGES BY AIR

Please note that all information in the development blog is preliminary and subject to change during testing. Any showcased features may or may not end up on the main server. The final information will be published on our game's website.

Soon there will be a closed test session of changes to AA and detectability range by air: Detectability range by air of all ships significantly reduced — by between 40-60%;

• When activated with the 'P' key, AA defenses will no longer instantly operate at 100% capacity, but will instead gradually increase in efficiency, reaching 100% after 7 seconds. The inverse applies when deactivating AA with the same key;
  • AA guns start preliminary firing at planes at a range 30% higher than their maximum value. When flying in this outer aura, shell explosions appear above and below the course of a squadron, and continuous damage is not dealt.

These changes will allow players to choose between fighting planes or relying on stealth to avoid them in different situations. After lowering detectability ranges, AA guns could start firing while the ship was hidden. The mechanics of preliminary fire will exclude such situations, and the gradual increment of AA damage will protect planes from sudden and unexpected waves of AA fire after the guns are activated.

• Meh 1

[V_KNG]
Beta Testers
13,197 posts

Let me fix this for you: 

These changes will allow players to choose between fighting planes or relying on stealth to avoid them in different situations.

This should read, "These changes will allow <everyone but carrier> players to choose between fighting planes or relying on stealth to avoid them in different situations." There - that's a better, more accurate read. 

For the carrier, they benefit against AA heavy ships, getting a potential seven seconds to get out of Dodge. Just how far you can get in seven seconds,  while taking damage in increasing levels is questionable. 

So I am again suggesting they are forcing a meta change. Everyone who thinks hunting/killing DDs is the job of the carrier has to realize that no longer will be true if this is implemented. 

• Boring 1

[RLGN]
Members
16,220 posts
28,096 battles
5 minutes ago, Herr_Reitz said:

So I am again suggesting they are forcing a meta change. Everyone who thinks hunting/killing DDs is the job of the carrier has to realize that no longer will be true if this is implemented. 

Of course it’s a carrier’s job.

Many players are too busy farming damage and worrying about their PR to, you know, actually learn how to shoot at and hit destroyers.

• Haha 1

[PVE]
Members
8,505 posts
24,628 battles

So cruisers will have their job back... it's gonna take some time for the word to get out though...I feel for your karma levels during that time.

[RKLES]
[RKLES]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
6,698 posts
23,796 battles

one more nerf to ATLANTA AND TRXAS AA.....

[V_KNG]
Beta Testers
13,197 posts
14 minutes ago, IfYouSeeKhaos said:

So cruisers will have their job back... it's gonna take some time for the word to get out though...I feel for your karma levels during that time.

When (not if) it goes live, I'd like to see a solid week of a sign-on message as soon as you signed on, mentioning the change, once a day for the users. So the word gets out. 

Members
79 posts
53 battles
2 minutes ago, Herr_Reitz said:

When (not if) it goes live, I'd like to see a solid week of a sign-on message as soon as you signed on, mentioning the change, once a day for the users. So the word gets out. 

Why they don't do it for anything else drama Queen

[SALVO]
Members
26,321 posts
30,384 battles
1 hour ago, Estimated_Prophet said:

Of course it’s a carrier’s job.

Many players are too busy farming damage and worrying about their PR to, you know, actually learn how to shoot at and hit destroyers.

I don't think that it's a CV's job to hunt DDs.  Not exactly.  OTOH, if a friendly ship KNOWS that there's an enemy DD nearby that he can't spot, I think that it's good teamwork for the CV to assist that friendly ship and try to find the enemy DD.  If the friendly is a CL, chances are pretty good that if the planes can keep the enemy DD spotted, the CL can blow the DD away, if it's close enough for accurate fire.

Hunting DDs generally wastes a lot of the CV's time, and does NOT reward the player much at all.  And CV players have as much right to farm damage and earn credits and XP as every other player.   CV players should not be relegated to earning crap credits and XP doing the unrewarding crap jobs that the rest of the team doesn't want to do.

• Cool 1
  • Meh 1

[RLGN]
Members
16,220 posts
28,096 battles
12 minutes ago, Crucis said:

I don't think that it's a CV's job to hunt DDs.  Not exactly.  OTOH, if a friendly ship KNOWS that there's an enemy DD nearby that he can't spot, I think that it's good teamwork for the CV to assist that friendly ship and try to find the enemy DD.  If the friendly is a CL, chances are pretty good that if the planes can keep the enemy DD spotted, the CL can blow the DD away, if it's close enough for accurate fire.

Hunting DDs generally wastes a lot of the CV's time, and does NOT reward the player much at all.  And CV players have as much right to farm damage and earn credits and XP as every other player.   CV players should not be relegated to earning crap credits and XP doing the unrewarding crap jobs that the rest of the team doesn't want to do.

All true; but so many times I’ve seen damaged destroyers get away because ships that might have easily dealt with them ignored, them, didn’t care enough to try, or if they did try, couldn’t hit them.

Every once in a while, the ship in question pays for that error in ability or judgement because the DD just sails up and sends them back to port.

[WDS]
[WDS]
Members
4,427 posts
12,692 battles

I’m tired of hearing about carriers it’s getting boring . Don’t care anymore just play the game . 

[KAPPA]
Members
3,126 posts
9,284 battles

I knew that those previous AA changes to DDs weren't gonna fly as is... These, on the other hand, address absolutely every problem currently facing AA aside from things that would require a complete AA rework. Of course, I might have missed an issue, but still.

1: DDs won't be super easy to spot unless they make it easy.

2: DDs with silly high AA won't be able to turn off their AA up till you get within spotting range and then take out 1-2 entire strikes of planes.

3: BBs and CVs won't be detected by air from silly long ranges. Kinda defeats the purpose of a BB having good detection compared to her peers if she gets spotted regardless, and this will help address the 899 issue a bit.

3: CVs will actually be able to safely spot the more annoying AA ships without taking losses so long as their AA is up. Minotaur, Worcester, Smolensk and Colbert were akin to stealth radar when it comes to AA.

All in all, I feel this change will benefit every side of the discussion outside of perhaps the annoyance of the EU DDs popping their AA on once you come within 3km of them. They lose, but then that was as bad of a mechanic as soviet CAs popping BB turrets one by one is and as bad as slingshotting was, just on the other end of things.

Honestly, I might join the party and turn my CV's AA off depending on if they count as a 40%, 60% or something in between. The fighter does the job well enough as it stands after all. I might either regret testing this idea or love the freedom. Who knows?

• Cool 1
  • Meh 1

[KAPPA]
Members
3,126 posts
9,284 battles
2 minutes ago, clammboy said:

I’m tired of hearing about carriers it’s getting boring . Don’t care anymore just play the game . 

Then don't post on topics regarding a test on changes to AA?

Pretty simple, really. You're doing this to yourself.

[SALVO]
Members
26,321 posts
30,384 battles
25 minutes ago, Estimated_Prophet said:

All true; but so many times I’ve seen damaged destroyers get away because ships that might have easily dealt with them ignored, them, didn’t care enough to try, or if they did try, couldn’t hit them.

Every once in a while, the ship in question pays for that error in ability or judgement because the DD just sails up and sends them back to port.

Yes, but I'm talking particularly about ships that ask for my help in a DD hunt, not me just going hunting for bleeps and giggles, and then depending on teammates to shoot what I spot.  The guy asking for help in a hunt does tend to work with me.

• Cool 1

[HINON]
Members
14,216 posts
2 hours ago, Herr_Reitz said:
  •  

Hapa has requested that you dont duplicate threads he has already created in order to keep all feedback in one place. 

Edited by RipNuN2
  • Cool 1

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester
28,331 posts
14,924 battles
3 hours ago, Herr_Reitz said:

For the carrier, they benefit against AA heavy ships, getting a potential seven seconds to get out of Dodge. Just how far you can get in seven seconds,  while taking damage in increasing levels is questionable. 

If you play CV's in the upper tiers you know what it is like stumbling on a Minotaur or a Des Moines. The Mino has AA range detection and while technically the Des Moines has a higher detection range than AA range with the delay before a ship renders it means that you are inside the AA umbrella before you see the ship

[-TKS-]
[-TKS-]
Members
1,159 posts
8,956 battles
4 hours ago, monpetitloup said:

Why dont they just disable aa altogether? It already does nothing and now theyre making it worse? 

What's with the troll post though? 

[V_KNG]
Beta Testers
13,197 posts
8 hours ago, Did_I_hurt_U said:

Why they don't do it for anything else drama Queen

Good question. Next ?

• Boring 1

[V_KNG]
Beta Testers
13,197 posts
6 hours ago, RipNuN2 said:

Hapa has requested that you dont duplicate threads he has already created in order to keep all feedback in one place. 

I searched the topics at the time of post but it did not show up. It was three hours after I found a video on the net. 

@Hapa_Fodder can you lock this thread? I saw this mentioned on youtube, looked in the forum more than once, did not find it. Thanks. 

Edited by Herr_Reitz

[V_KNG]
Beta Testers
13,197 posts

My opening screen shots. Apparently I need to dig deeper for such an important topic? @RipNuN2 I wonder if this is related to the cache issue folks found on the site banner a week or two ago? In any case thanks for letting me know it was already out there. 

Spoiler

image.thumb.png.5a7f7f2d8adbe2d8d4b5becc1e5be07a.png

image.thumb.png.052d06f3306221cb7e7deaa6c0533f5d.png

image.thumb.png.76a4658d0e1cf9072522b1826386b4ed.png

image.thumb.png.c149ad91236d3c3a2b7b6606500346f2.png

image.thumb.png.007f3b7607b0aaaa40037373241980de.png

[HINON]
Members
14,216 posts
3 minutes ago, Herr_Reitz said:

Np. I figured not everyone looks at the recent WG staff posts section.

[1984]
Members
4,482 posts
21,506 battles
1 hour ago, Merc_R_Us said:

What's with the troll post though? 

I’m serious. The only changes here buff cvs which already have no counter. And aa is useless on their unlimited planes.

i dont know why wg keeps wasting time tweaking a mechanic which has no point and serves no purpose. If aa could actually be used to prevent attack then tweaking it would make sense. But in its current form, aa is useless.

Edited by monpetitloup

[V_KNG]
Beta Testers
13,197 posts
1 hour ago, RipNuN2 said:

Np. I figured not everyone looks at the recent WG staff posts section.

You know... I've looked at the site on my puter and my phone and nothing shows up about his original conversation. I'm gonna have to go ask why. 

[-TKS-]
[-TKS-]
Members
1,159 posts
8,956 battles
14 minutes ago, monpetitloup said:

I’m serious. The only changes here buff cvs which already have no counter. And aa is useless on their unlimited planes.

i dont know why wg keeps wasting time tweaking a mechanic which has no point and serves no purpose. If aa could actually be used to prevent attack then tweaking it would make sense. But in its current form, aa is useless.

You're not understanding the notes then. The only portion that "Buffs" CVs is the preliminary firing thing. Not sure why you think planes are unlimited because they aren't. 

As someone who has dabbled in CVs I'm surprised you're suggesting AA is useless.

Nevermind double checked your CV usage. Trust me when I tell you, CVs at tiers 8 and 10 do not have unlimited planes. 

Edited by Merc_R_Us

[1984]
Members
4,482 posts
21,506 battles
3 hours ago, Merc_R_Us said:

You're not understanding the notes then. The only portion that "Buffs" CVs is the preliminary firing thing. Not sure why you think planes are unlimited because they aren't. 

As someone who has dabbled in CVs I'm surprised you're suggesting AA is useless.

Nevermind double checked your CV usage. Trust me when I tell you, CVs at tiers 8 and 10 do not have unlimited planes. 

Trust me when i say they do have unlimited planes.  Unless maybe youre playing coop and facing bot cvs. There is no way to avoid attack by a human cv player who has even the slightest idea of what he is doing. There is no rng to cv drops as there is in ships since every strike lands at least one hit regardless of the squadron type. And regardless of wasd, steering, captain skill or def aa consumable every cv attack wave lands at least one hit.

and you are clearly joking since the immunity to aa increases with each cv tier. Tier 10 cvs can even strike minotaurs and woosters, so no, aa doesnt work post rebork.

• Cool 1