Jump to content
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Enorats

Carrier Autopilot AI

13 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

Members
22 posts
723 battles

So, I'm new to all this. Been playing for around 2-3 weeks now and I've been having a lot of fun. I really like CV's more than anything else - but the thing I really, REALLY don't like about them is that the autopilot AI is just beyond ridiculously idiotic. My last two battles my autopilot was devastatingly stupid. The first one thankfully turned out to be one of my best ever battles, but only because charging straight into an enemy formation (literally from the start of the battle to the finish.. straight forward!) instead of turning around and circling in the back line almost nearly got me killed instead of totally killed. Thankfully that particular side of the battle pushed onward and crushed the enemy just before they could sink me.

My last battle though? Nope. Turned around, then instead of moving west parallel to edge of the map I just never turned in the slightest and plowed 2 km straight north into the edge of the map where I continued to bash my bow at an 85 degree angle into an invisible wall instead of reversing, turning, and going straight.. as the line on my map literally showed it being instructed to do. Needless to say, I was a sitting duck when the eastern front collapsed and three BB's came upon my immobilized carrier.

Being unable to control both planes and the carrier simultaneously (like, seriously.. at least let me keep the planes in the air just flying straight while I switch back to the carrier) means that the autopilot AI is utterly essential to CV functionality. While it would be outstanding if this issue could be fixed, is there anything I can do as a player to at least minimize the issue? So far my only recourse has been to ground my planes while I manually maneuver.. and at that point I may as well not even be in the battle.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,697
[WPORT]
Members
9,976 posts
14,437 battles

Welcome to the forums and welcome to CV play.

Yes. 
The Autopilot has been performing in a manner that has earned a lot of salty comments and rants for the past few years. 
It was improved, somewhat, last year.  But, it still leaves much to be desired.

It seems to become extra wonky near islands and map borders.

During the "RTS" days of CV play, we could control the ship and the squadrons simultaneously by "selecting" which one we wanted to control at the moment.
That aspect of the game was removed when the "CV re-work" was implemented by World of Warships.

Care must be taken by the player to set map navigation waypoints for best advantage.  Also, periodically check on your CV's progress via the mini-map.  Sometimes your autopilot will need reprimanding and the ship's course will need correcting.

Tagged for official WOWs attention via @Hapa_Fodder and @Mademoisail.

  • Cool 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,981
[V_KNG]
Beta Testers
13,197 posts

Guys, I been banging the drum for WEEKS I tell ya... nothing. Devs have, as far as I can tell, ignored me/us. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6,107
[FOXEH]
Banned
14,364 posts
20,850 battles
4 minutes ago, Herr_Reitz said:

Guys, I been banging the drum for WEEKS I tell ya... nothing. Devs have, as far as I can tell, ignored me/us. 

They're working on submarines, and everything else has been put aside for that. When the CV rework came out, all they worked on was that. WG is very single minded.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,634
[PVE]
Members
8,507 posts
24,689 battles
1 hour ago, Enorats said:

So, I'm new to all this. Been playing for around 2-3 weeks now and I've been having a lot of fun. I really like CV's more than anything else - but the thing I really, REALLY don't like about them is that the autopilot AI is just beyond ridiculously idiotic. My last two battles my autopilot was devastatingly stupid. The first one thankfully turned out to be one of my best ever battles, but only because charging straight into an enemy formation (literally from the start of the battle to the finish.. straight forward!) instead of turning around and circling in the back line almost nearly got me killed instead of totally killed. Thankfully that particular side of the battle pushed onward and crushed the enemy just before they could sink me.

My last battle though? Nope. Turned around, then instead of moving west parallel to edge of the map I just never turned in the slightest and plowed 2 km straight north into the edge of the map where I continued to bash my bow at an 85 degree angle into an invisible wall instead of reversing, turning, and going straight.. as the line on my map literally showed it being instructed to do. Needless to say, I was a sitting duck when the eastern front collapsed and three BB's came upon my immobilized carrier.

Being unable to control both planes and the carrier simultaneously (like, seriously.. at least let me keep the planes in the air just flying straight while I switch back to the carrier) means that the autopilot AI is utterly essential to CV functionality. While it would be outstanding if this issue could be fixed, is there anything I can do as a player to at least minimize the issue? So far my only recourse has been to ground my planes while I manually maneuver.. and at that point I may as well not even be in the battle.

OP...I would suggest spamming the W key 4 times & then double tapping either the Q or E key to spin in circles at spawn.

After you send out your 1st set of squadrons & get an idea of where you want to be your CV will be up to speed & you can set a course towards the best side of map for most advantageous positioning.

As there's no autopilot (aka map waypoints) used for that the autopilot can't send you on a wild YOLO at the start.

It's even a good tactic once you get to the side you want to be on to keep circling so you are up to speed if something breaks through & tries to get the jump on you.

A full speed spinning ship is harder to lock onto (edit: harder to aim at) & it gives you time to finish making a squadron run before needing to jump right back into your ship to begin maneuvering...& the best maneuvering tactic once you are in full speed in a turn is to stay w/the full speed & just toggle between the double Q/E to switch your turn direction. That at least will throw off most attacks (especially torps that may have been launched while finishing your squadron run) long enough to get an idea where to run to if your squadrons or teammates can't quickly eliminate the threat.

Edited by IfYouSeeKhaos

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8,946
[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester
28,342 posts
14,924 battles

The auto pilot has problems with any fast ship as it doesn't start turns in time to clear land.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
4,700 posts
45,702 battles

It needs to be fixed, I used to sail slow or fast CVs near anything and able to run through with no issues.

Now I don't try. I steer clear of tight channels or even wide gaps. I literally have to drive it through.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
59
[WOLFB]
[WOLFB]
Members
166 posts
3,589 battles

+1 on Autopilot being, "not good". I would have thought that, at this point in gaming development, basic Pathfinding would work. 

Maybe I can get a working Autopilot from a container?

Edited by SonicAnatidae

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8,464
[D-H-O]
-Members-
4,756 posts
15,709 battles
12 hours ago, Wolfswetpaws said:

Welcome to the forums and welcome to CV play.

Yes. 
The Autopilot has been performing in a manner that has earned a lot of salty comments and rants for the past few years. 
It was improved, somewhat, last year.  But, it still leaves much to be desired.

It seems to become extra wonky near islands and map borders.

During the "RTS" days of CV play, we could control the ship and the squadrons simultaneously by "selecting" which one we wanted to control at the moment.
That aspect of the game was removed when the "CV re-work" was implemented by World of Warships.

Care must be taken by the player to set map navigation waypoints for best advantage.  Also, periodically check on your CV's progress via the mini-map.  Sometimes your autopilot will need reprimanding and the ship's course will need correcting.

Tagged for official WOWs attention via @Hapa_Fodder and @Mademoisail.

We've been looking into this, hopefully we can clear this issue up soon.

-Hapa

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,572
[S0L0]
[S0L0]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
5,024 posts
7,867 battles

Its gotten very bad over the last few patches... I'm getting sunk several times a week due to it... Right now trying to play aggressively with your CV is a sure death sentence....    There's nothing resembling intelligence in the artificial intelligence that it is using... Once it starts trying to problem solve around any island or map edge, you might as well just give up and stop paying attention to it or take over the helm yourself and forgo using aircraft until you get it in a safe place or are sunk?   Sad thing is they actually had this working a lot better 6 months ago.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
4,700 posts
45,702 battles
1 hour ago, iRA6E said:

Its gotten very bad over the last few patches... I'm getting sunk several times a week due to it... Right now trying to play aggressively with your CV is a sure death sentence....    There's nothing resembling intelligence in the artificial intelligence that it is using... Once it starts trying to problem solve around any island or map edge, you might as well just give up and stop paying attention to it or take over the helm yourself and forgo using aircraft until you get it in a safe place or are sunk?   Sad thing is they actually had this working a lot better 6 months ago.   

In Otto pilot's belt buckle, there is a tube. Blow in it and he starts to work. If he gets a silly grin then he is at the right pressure.

It's either that or add an auto navigator. She will set him straight or he gets the stare. Fearing the dog house 🏡, Otto will comply.

Otto is rather stupid, he probably drinks alot. His motor skills are very questionable. I highly doubt he will pass a field sobriety test. But his teeth are very clean. Because he is so equipped.

Auto nav gets rather cross when he looks left and forgets the Island in front.

Surely WG will fix it.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,697
[WPORT]
Members
9,976 posts
14,437 battles
8 hours ago, Hapa_Fodder said:

We've been looking into this, hopefully we can clear this issue up soon.

-Hapa

Thanks for the reply, and the good faith efforts.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
0
[WWUSB]
Members
1 post
4,376 battles

autopilot as of the last month is total garbage. ive lost my weser, gz, sho, etc more time from autopilot turning off or backing up to turn then any other factor including trying to secondary fight my gz. it literally makes cv unplayable to the happiness of all non cv players. plz fix asap.  tia.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×