You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Decidis

Smolensk

57 comments in this topic

Members
159 posts
5,142 battles

This is my first time back to WoWs in about a year. wth is the Smolensk, and why the #@*! does it have the perks (in some cases more than 1) of 3 major nations? It has the shell velocity and HE damage of IJN Cruisers, smoke longetivity and radius (nearly) of US Destroyers, bounces shells typical of RU bull#@*!, and is sports a low profile also of US cruisers?!

Is this just beating a dead horse now, and WoW devs are balls deep on Stalins [edited] (again), because I don't know when this [edited]thing was introduced but it wrecks every T10 match I'm in. /rant.

• Cool 1
  • Funny 2
  • Thanks 4
  • Boring 5
  • Meh 1

[PEKO]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
7,026 posts
27,999 battles

Does es make you feel better to know, that she is no longer available?

• Thanks 1

Members
172 posts
9,171 battles

Wow! you have been gone for a wile. Time was when you could purchase the Smolensk for coal in the Armory, but there was so much talk about it being a game buster that they pulled it. I got mine about a month before it got the ax.

Members
159 posts
5,142 battles
6 minutes ago, Erebthoron said:

Does es make you feel better to know, that she is no longer available?

Oh. then yes lol.

5 minutes ago, Iron_Clad_5000 said:

Wow! you have been gone for a wile. Time was when you could purchase the Smolensk for coal in the Armory, but there was so much talk about it being a game buster that they pulled it. I got mine about a month before it got the ax.

I see, still it seems so prevalent in T10 matches, that an adjustment should be made to bring it more in line with ships of it's tier instead of it figuratively being at T18 and should be up against Arleigh Burkes lol.

• Cool 1

[1CVDV]
Members
263 posts
12,349 battles

well then you probably haven't heard the saying"dont get gud,get Smolensk!

• Cool 1
  • Funny 1

[-BUI-]
Members
2,703 posts
7,030 battles
28 minutes ago, Decidis said:

This is my first time back to WoWs in about a year. wth is the Smolensk, and why the #@*! does it have the perks (in some cases more than 1) of 3 major nations? It has the shell velocity and HE damage of IJN Cruisers, smoke longetivity and radius (nearly) of US Destroyers, bounces shells typical of RU bull#@*!, and is sports a low profile also of US cruisers?!

Is this just beating a dead horse now, and WoW devs are balls deep on Stalins [edited] (again), because I don't know when this [edited]thing was introduced but it wrecks every T10 match I'm in. /rant.

He has literally no armor and gets deleted if anyone shoots at it, it also has a rather large profile.   Personally I find it a chore to play, you either fire over an island, fire from smoke, or you cannot fire, since the moment you are spotted you will be shot at about as hard as people shoot at CVs...meaning everyone from every angle.

Edited by Zenn3k
  • Thanks 2
  • Boring 1

[PEKO]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
7,026 posts
27,999 battles

She is as powerfull as you let her be. The hard counter are CA/CL AP and BB shooting HE. Or even torps, since most player sit in their smoke and have AA instead of hydro. Many player also smoke up in front of the enemy, forgetting that no one else spot that ships.

Since she turned from "only a handfull skilled players" to "everyone and his grandmother" ship, she is the number three in the T10 cruiser list... from the bottom.

The problem is her nearly non existing armor. AP from BB will overpen most of the time. 

While not hard to counter, she is a rather unfun ship to play against. In the same league like the HE spamming RN BB. Or a Atlanta dug in behind a island. Or a Harugumo that have another DD spotting.

• Thanks 1

[HINON]
Alpha Tester
25,771 posts
21,681 battles

^ Basically what he said. Smolensk is a one trick pony that is very annoying but has a few very hard counters. 203mm AP and battleship caliber HE mess it up bad. Peronally I find Colberts and Worcesters more aggravating.

• Thanks 1

[WTAF]
Members
244 posts
9,493 battles
9 minutes ago, Lert said:

^ Basically what he said. Smolensk is a one trick pony that is very annoying but has a few very hard counters. 203mm AP and battleship caliber HE mess it up bad. Peronally I find Colberts and Worcesters more aggravating.

Montana (and I assume other US BB) AP from about 15 km blap the bejeesus out of them. I assume it is plunging fire given the US arcs plus distance. If I am playing the Montana and red has a Smolensk I make sure I stay 15 km or a bit more away to avoid or be able to avoid the HP spam and then to get my shots on it.

Edited by Kenrod_Melrocity

[HINON]
Alpha Tester
25,771 posts
21,681 battles
2 hours ago, Kenrod_Melrocity said:

Montana (and I assume other US BB) AP from about 15 km blap the bejeesus out of them. I assume it is plunging fire given the US arcs plus distance.

Distance more than anything. At that range the AP has time to fuse before going out the other side. Yamato can't cit a broadside Smol sub 10 km, British short fuse AP has a field day with Smol but ships like Roma and French BBs with their high velocity long fuse AP has more trouble dealing with it.

Edited by Lert
  • Thanks 1

[WKY04]
Members
4,047 posts
25,744 battles

On the NA server's most recent quarter, Smolensk underperforms at tier, both in WR (48.4%) and damage (~74k). Normally a ship in this situation would be in line for a gentle buff, but it is a Premium. 

Edited by Pugilistic

[TDRB]
Members
5,313 posts
13,743 battles
58 minutes ago, Decidis said:

You must have came up against a few of the better Smolensk players.

As Lert stated " 203mm AP and battleship caliber HE mess it up bad."

My CA's have a few Smolensk kills.

NO! It isn't any fun to be caught where a Smolensk can rain down shells on you. But that is true of any cruisers capable of hiding behind an island and hitting your ship. 

[TIMT]
Members
1,708 posts
5,591 battles
1 hour ago, Pugilistic said:

On the NA server's most recent quarter, Smolensk underperforms at tier, both in WR (48.4%) and damage (~74k). Normally a ship in this situation would be in line for a gentle buff, but it is a Premium. 

There are a lot of Smolensk players out there who use the 'smoke and spam' tactic which is annoying to deal with but underperforms on average. However, when you look closer you will see that in the right hands this thing is a monster and totally broken. The fact that it is more or less immune to BB citadels inside a certain range is just one of the many ways how. CA AP is actually the best counter here, in particular USN AP with the better angles. Don't know if Petro actually overpens or if those magical shells do just fine.

I found Colbert more challenging to deal with, but I believe this is more due to the playerbase of that ship being much better on average (RB or steel ship, don't remember).

[WOLFC]
Members
3,200 posts
3 hours ago, Decidis said:

This is my first time back to WoWs in about a year. wth is the Smolensk, and why the #@*! ... /rant.

Dare I say "Welcome Back!" ?  :Smile_unsure:

[-A-8-]
Members
571 posts
22,818 battles

I don't profess to be great in it but there was another in a battle with me that was dead in 3 minutes. For everyone doing great in it there will be more doing badly.

Lets be honest 33k average damage after more than 400 battles doesn't scream OP.

unknown.png

SuperTest Coordinator, Beta Testers
7,026 posts
13,128 battles

Conceptually, it has the same weaknesses as Minotaur. Enterprising people can shoot or torp into the smoke to delete them.

[RLGN]
Members
16,188 posts
28,079 battles
3 hours ago, Lert said:

I suppose ultimately what annoys me about HE spamming is the noise caused by all the hits, along with the idiot narrator saying ‘The ship is on fire!’ repeatedly, more than the actual damage inflicted. Minotaurs annoy more because lots of times they seem to cause more damage, (in addition to the noise.)

Like several have said though, I don’t find them difficult to kill if I can see them.

• Thanks 1

[HINON]
Alpha Tester
25,771 posts
21,681 battles
Just now, Estimated_Prophet said:

I suppose ultimately what annoys me about HE spamming is the noise caused by all the hits, along with the idiot narrator saying ‘The ship is on fire!’ repeatedly

I've always got sound low and some music or some youtube letsplay or what have you as main noise generator, so that aspect doesn't bother me as much.

SuperTest Coordinator, Beta Testers
7,026 posts
13,128 battles
4 minutes ago, Estimated_Prophet said:

I suppose ultimately what annoys me about HE spamming is the noise caused by all the hits, along with the idiot narrator saying ‘The ship is on fire!’ repeatedly, more than the actual damage inflicted. Minotaurs annoy more because lots of times they seem to cause more damage, (in addition to the noise.)

Like several have said though, I don’t find them difficult to kill if I can see them. 

You can shoot at them even if you can't see them. It causes them serious distress even if it misses.

[RLGN]
Members
16,188 posts
28,079 battles
18 minutes ago, Compassghost said:

You can shoot at them even if you can't see them. It causes them serious distress even if it misses.

Other than dropping CV torps on such campers, I’ve never really had much luck with smoke firing...

...I hit targets I could see before they smoked up, but not generally ones I couldn’t see to begin with.

[-TKS-]
Members
3,354 posts
18,243 battles

Oh boy, another Smolensk rant. You do know that they removed it from the store and nerfed the $@#^& crap out of it? It literally has no armor now. If an enemy ship just looks it's way it explodes and sinks to the ocean floor. That's why you rarely see them anymore. 

• Thanks 1

[HINON]
Alpha Tester
25,771 posts
21,681 battles
1 minute ago, STINKWEED_ said:

and nerfed the $@#^& crap out of it?

When did that happen? What was nerfed?

[MIA-I]
Members
118 posts
11 battles
4 hours ago, Decidis said:

Lol, smolensk has 16mm everywhere. It's not OP, you just have to know how to counter it.