You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Dr_Venture

WG nurf'd the NC

26 comments in this topic

[SALVO]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
6,367 posts
6,999 battles

Total click bait title for good fun.

Girlfriend and I visited the NC today. She's basically in the mud with the hull being gutted. The ship is mostly closed off due to COVID and is in terrible shape externally. 

However it was good to see her, since she's been on my bucket list for awhile. I've been on Wisconsin and she was just....massive. We're planning to visit Massachusetts when Covid clears.

20200819_131457.thumb.jpg.7a5cd33cc24cbf0a2c13be5d2d1f2dc4.jpg

20200819_132944.jpg

20200819_131641.jpg

20200819_132954.jpg

20200819_130450.jpg

20200819_131945.jpg

20200819_124510.jpg

20200819_142647.jpg

20200819_124228.jpg

20200819_141835.jpg

20200819_133003.jpg

20200816_102131.jpg

• Cool 11
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

[SALVO]
6,367 posts
6,999 battles
5 minutes ago, mozoilla02 said:

why she in the mud, is she not in good enough condition to float?

I think they are building a cofferdam?

[SALVO]
6,367 posts
6,999 battles
16 minutes ago, Destroyer_of_Worlds_0779 said:

Enjoy your time in Wilmington!

THE SUN SUCKS

Members
348 posts
5,767 battles
8 minutes ago, mozoilla02 said:

She is moored in a small inlet off of a river. Over the years mud has built up around the hull. I had read someplace this actually helps to slow deterioration of the hull. The inlet is currently turned into a cofferdam so they could do hull repairs. When I toured her several years ago she was "floating" in the mud and water.

Beta Testers
1,310 posts
11,530 battles

Unfortunately in game the NC along with 'Bama seems to be mostly driven now by assisted living types that are so incompetent they would get raged on via their bot team mates in co op.

I'm seeing a new shipyard concept here for WG. At least its realistic.

The retired battle wagons are stunning to see in person. Amazing feats of engineering. Concealment range.....uh....yeah.

[WOLFB]
Members
439 posts
8,573 battles
10 minutes ago, Grimm262 said:

I had read someplace this actually helps to slow deterioration of the hull.

My guess is that it's essentially acting like a sort of air shield.

Most of the time in swamps or bogs where mud is heavily compacted and undisturbed it creates zones where there's next to no oxygen in the soil, this leads to things being extremely well preserved in them, much like old tanks, planes and even ice age animals being found in next to pristine condition. No air under the hull means no oxidation can happen so it is in part a good thing, gonna be stained to heck though lol.

Here's an old article (from 2006) as an example of what i mentioned, a german captured T34 found in the mud next to a lake.

https://englishrussia.com/2006/09/17/russian-tank-recovered-from-the-lake-after-50-years-been-there/

• Cool 1

[SALVO]
6,367 posts
6,999 battles
15 minutes ago, Destroyer_of_Worlds_0779 said:

Are you new to the South? Lol

Ish...I lived in Virginia for a year.

[PVE]
Members
8,507 posts
24,689 battles
1 hour ago, Dr_Venture said:

THE SUN SUCKS

Come to southern CA...the same town in Death Valley that held the existing record of 134° (since 1913 I think it was) had it revoked (or at least it's under review still...due to reports of a sandstorm at the time skewing the numbers) but just put in a new record (if the old 1 is actually revoked) of 130°...for now...the heat wave is still ongoing & it may break that record in the next few days.

BTW...the same town has the highest ground temperature (as regular air temps are in the shade above ground) also...over 200°.

Yikes...glad I'm in LA county where our high desert temps (in Lancaster) are only 105.

Edited by IfYouSeeKhaos
  • Meh 1

Members
4,079 posts
25,851 battles

I see the ship pretty much yearly since family has a beach house at Ocean Isle Beach. Missed seeing her last trip recently because I had to flee the hurricane no one can pronounce. 

Before that, I had tickets to the WG event aboard that was canceled for infectious disease reasons. 

Last fall I visited her most of a day and then stopped by Calabash NC on the way home for a fantastic meal followed by drinks on the dockside at Oyster Rock. 

Oyster Rock

Edited by Pugilistic

[YARRR]
Members
735 posts
5,955 battles

I was aboard her in the early 80s.  It was fun watching the alligators swim around her.

[BBICT]
Members
3,926 posts
4,243 battles

I got to visit her about 18 years ago. I bought a piece of her teak deck while I was there. She is one of my favorites, I REALLY wanted to like her in the game, but I just do better in other BBs. 

[WOLF9]
Wiki Lead
16,328 posts
4,773 battles
3 hours ago, Dr_Venture said:

Ish...I lived in Virginia for a year.

Virginia is "the South" only by rumor.  It's not much different from eastern Pennsylvania.  C'mon down to Texas!  Leave your politics at home.

Don't dogs have to wear masks up there?  I thought it was universal to save us all...

[SALVO]
6,367 posts
6,999 battles
6 minutes ago, iDuckman said:

Virginia is "the South" only by rumor.  It's not much different from eastern Pennsylvania.  C'mon down to Texas!  Leave your politics at home.

Don't dogs have to wear masks up there?  I thought it was universal to save us all...

I lived in San Angelo for 7 months whilst my ex wife was in tech school.

[WOLF9]
Wiki Lead
16,328 posts
4,773 battles
1 minute ago, Dr_Venture said:

I lived in San Angelo for 7 months whilst my ex wife was in tech school.

Then you know of which I speak.  Love West Texas.  Kinda glad I don't live there right now.

[BNRJ]
Members
160 posts
7,277 battles
10 hours ago, ElAurens said:

I was aboard her in the early 80s.  It was fun watching the alligators swim around her.

Same here. Visited in ‘96 and I remember seeing the alligators swimming around. NC was the first BB I’d seen. 

Members
15 posts
352 battles

Breaks my heart to see these old warhorses rotting away.  I know the costs are high, but it always seems to me it should be a higher priority to save them.

Still cool to visit though - nice photos :cap_like:

Members
2,845 posts
15,122 battles
14 hours ago, Dr_Venture said:

Girlfriend and I visited the NC today. She's basically in the mud with the hull being gutted. The ship is mostly closed off due to COVID and is in terrible shape externally. 

However it was good to see her, since she's been on my bucket list for awhile. I've been on Wisconsin and she was just....massive. We're planning to visit Massachusetts when Covid clears.

20200819_132954.jpg

20200819_142647.jpg

20200819_124228.jpg

20200819_141835.jpg

13 hours ago, mozoilla02 said:

13 hours ago, Dr_Venture said:

I think they are building a cofferdam?

13 hours ago, Grimm262 said:

She is moored in a small inlet off of a river. Over the years mud has built up around the hull. I had read someplace this actually helps to slow deterioration of the hull. The inlet is currently turned into a cofferdam so they could do hull repairs. When I toured her several years ago she was "floating" in the mud and water.

15 minutes ago, BlueCutlass said:

Breaks my heart to see these old warhorses rotting away.  I know the costs are high, but it always seems to me it should be a higher priority to save them.

Still cool to visit though - nice photos :cap_like:

In most cases, when the warships were donated and became museums, they really had no plans on the care and maintenance of the ships. For many of these ships, the last drydocking they received was before being decommissioned.

When Alabama and North Carolina were donated to their home states, a location was chosen to best display them. In the case of the Alabama, that site was dredged out, the BB pushed in, and then the dredged material returned. The North Carolina was placed in an inlet that, over the years, has built up material around it.

Neither Alabama, nor North Carolina can currently be drydocked in the traditional sense. Alabama would need to be dredged out, and while North Carolina would also have to be dredged, she also has been bridged in. A non-moving bridge now crosses the river, blocking her from leaving.

Both Alabama and North Carolina have suffered due to the changing of the tides. Hull that is covered by water is revealed when the tide goes out, allowing the wind access to the wet hull. Over time, that has caused the hull to rot.

Alabama received her cofferdam first, and now North Carolina is receiving hers. This will allow the museums to monitor the water around the ship, as well as allowing it to be pumped out to work on the hull. The hull under the mudline is essentially protected. 

Not all the museums ships are 'unlucky'. Massachusetts is able to be drydocked. Intrepid was also drydocked after a delay due to silt build up. All four Iowas are currently afloat.

Yorktown is currently the only other museum ship I am aware of that has hull issues and is also basically in the mud.

As for gutted, as far as I am aware North Carolina still has her boilers and machinery. 

[META_]
[META_]
Members
1,306 posts
16 hours ago, Dr_Venture said:

20200819_131457.thumb.jpg.7a5cd33cc24cbf0a2c13be5d2d1f2dc4.jpg

20200819_132944.jpg

20200819_131641.jpg

20200819_132954.jpg

20200819_130450.jpg

20200819_131945.jpg

20200819_124510.jpg

20200819_142647.jpg

20200819_124228.jpg

20200819_141835.jpg

20200819_133003.jpg

20200816_102131.jpg

I have seen a player killing 6 on a match with NC some time ago. I am playing Colorado, soon i will get NC and want to see if it is that good.

[AOD_C]
[AOD_C]
Members
26 posts
3,161 battles
11 hours ago, Lord_Slayer said:

As for gutted, as far as I am aware North Carolina still has her boilers and machinery. 

Most everything open to the public seems to have the vast majority of the "things" in place.  Can't speak to behind the scenes.  Clearly the engine rooms seemed packed with everything that should be in there for normal operations, and no obvious huge pieces of machinery missing.

On edit; at least as of last visit handful of months ago..

Edited by Destroyer_of_Worlds_0779
Clarity after consideration

[SALVO]
6,367 posts
6,999 battles
9 hours ago, Dr_Drunk_AKA said:

Doggo appears to be part/full Dachsund?  He/She is a cutie.  Look at that big smile.

His name is Otto, he's a pure bred micro sized....a hole.

He makes regular appearances on my streams.

• Cool 1