You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Hapa_Fodder

ST, changes to AA and detectability ranges by air

233 comments in this topic

[SYN]
Members
15,973 posts
12,803 battles

7s is ridiculously long

what is even the point of preliminary firing when it basically makes the ship lit for 20s afterwards?
Now you can drop a fighter outside of the ship's AA range, but that mechanic will keep the ship lit, while doing no damage to the fighter.
Excellent idea, who came up with that one?

• Cool 12

[O_O]
[O_O]
Members
5,496 posts
23,959 battles

So telling your AA guns to "cease fire" isn't immediate? I can understand the increase in firing efficiency at the start but NOT the inverse. 

[TAZ]
Members
919 posts

Way to go WG; another way to backhand buff and shove CVs down our throat and make game play worst.  Are you serious, with all of the complaints about how strong CV play is, this is your take away.  Talk about NOT listening to the player base.

• Cool 6
  • Boring 3

[KWF]
Members
6,413 posts
7,157 battles
16 minutes ago, MrDeaf said:

7s is ridiculously long

what is even the point of preliminary firing when it basically makes the ship lit for 20s afterwards?
Now you can drop a fighter outside of the ship's AA range, but that mechanic will keep the ship lit, while doing no damage to the fighter.

Can't have Hallands touching inappropriately CVs now, can we?

The way I see this it's a big middle finger to AA DDs that will gain more by not using their AA for ambushes.

Way to go WG by having and selling ships good at a specific role only to make it meaningless.

• Cool 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Boring 1

[-TKS-]
[-TKS-]
Members
1,159 posts
8,956 battles
20 minutes ago, MrDeaf said:

7s is ridiculously long

You can be spotted for 60 seconds right now by the fighter, and you're upset about 20 seconds?

Did you not read that all ships get a 40-60 buff to invisibility from air? 

• Cool 3
  • Meh 2

[O_O]
[O_O]
Members
5,496 posts
23,959 battles
Just now, warheart1992 said:

Can't have Hallands touching inappropriately CVs now, can we?

The way I see this it's a big middle finger to AA DDs that will gain more by not using their AA for ambushes.

Way to go WG by having and selling ships good at a specific role only to make it meaningless.

Now it looks like I won't even get one plane with my Asashio and those drunk AA gunners won't even go silent when told. I'm a gonna feel it...

[SYN]
Members
15,973 posts
12,803 battles
16 minutes ago, Merc_R_Us said:

You can be spotted for 60 seconds right now by the fighter, and you're upset about 20 seconds?

Did you not read that all ships get a 40-60 buff to invisibility from air? 

did you even read what was written?

did you comprehend what you read?

40 to 60% is distance, as in meters

20s is time, as in seconds

these are two different units of measurement that don't even measure the same thing.

[TARK]
Members
7,331 posts
3,174 battles
1 hour ago, Hapa_Fodder said:

https://blog.worldofwarships.com/blog/63

Please leave feedback below.

Mahalo,

-Hapa

Its hard to comment on these changes...without knowing how the previous test fared.

These seem to be reactions to what was happening with the previous air spotting reduction...which none of us got to see.

Given the paucity of available information...these changes seem to be trying to paper over (rather than fix) the underlying problems with air defense in game.

Rather than trying ever more complicated band aid solutions like these...and thereby risking the robustness of the game...

...why not do a rethink of air defense systems instead?

Some more thoughts:

You cannot have the CV be both a spotter AND be unable to spot.

Remember why you need CV spotting in the first place...

Surface ships RELY on the carrier spotting.

Carriers RELY on spotting for their OWN damage output and survival.

If you make CVs blind...then CVs will need a significant damage output buff. You will be switching the CV from a support class to a damage farming ship.

• Sad 2
  • Meh 7

[ZR]
Beta Testers
383 posts
9,968 battles

Boooo AA doesn’t need a nerf. It feels pretty useless for most ships already. Also baiting planes into your AA by having it off is like the only meaningful counter play we have and that’s stretching the definition of meaningful.

• Cool 4

[PROJX]
Beta Testers
1,234 posts
5,408 battles
1 hour ago, MrDeaf said:

7s is ridiculously long

Where are you getting the 20 seconds from? From the other ST that may or may not be implemented? 

What I want to know is if you never turn off AA, will it always be at 100% efficiency? You would think so, but you never know with WeeGee 

[SYN]
[SYN]
Beta Testers
2,440 posts
14,189 battles

30% beyond AA range shots are basically warning to CV without dealing any damage. But they phrased it like it's an increase to AA.

7 second ramp up basically removes any chance of a DD shooting down any attacking plane before being hit. The whole engagement is over before the AA gets to full strength.

This is Halland AA nerf without spelling out the name.

Members
1,226 posts
5,930 battles

I don't see a single good change here from either the surface ship or the CV's perspective. The AA ramp up thing seems like a bad idea and cutting the air detection is just a bad idea in general.

[TNG]
Members
559 posts
11,888 battles

This.  Is.  Stupid.

There are no other words for it.  Simply balance the AA damage and make it a risk for a CV to strike an AA ship, and we're good.  Some ships had notoriously poor AA, some were designed as floating AA batteries.  Bring back those distinctions, tweak the damage and make it less reliant on flak and suddenly.....a game again.

Stop screwing with these mechanics of "time to full output, time to zero output" etc etc.  If a CV flies into a Halland and eats it, that's what a Halland was DESIGNED for.  Sucks to be the CV.  If a CV flies into an Asashio and the DD eats it, well, that's the cost/benefit of the Asashio.  

• Cool 4
  • Thanks 1

[WOLFG]
Members
12,715 posts
11,838 battles
6 minutes ago, chewonit said:

30% beyond AA range shots are basically warning to CV without dealing any damage. But they phrased it like it's an increase to AA.

7 second ramp up basically removes any chance of a DD shooting down any attacking plane before being hit. The whole engagement is over before the AA gets to full strength.

This is Halland AA nerf without spelling out the name.

This seems pretty accurate.

• Cool 1

[TARK]
Members
7,331 posts
3,174 battles
Just now, Tekina_ said:

I don't see a single good change here from either the surface ship or the CV's perspective. The AA ramp up thing seems like a bad idea and cutting the air detection is just a bad idea in general.

Exactly.

I suspect the AA change is to cover the air spotting change for cruisers and battleships...

...but this ignores the reality that CVs are very dependent on attack vector directionality...

...how do we expect CVs to attack if they dont get to know the target ship orientation before they are in the AA zone?

The change seems to be adding complexity because WG is unwilling to deal with root causes of problems.

Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
151 posts
4,371 battles

Incredible they're actually nerfing AA. This change might be good on cruisers where you'll finally have the ability to not have to engage planes at 6km out and might be able to leverage some degree of stealth, but it butchers the already gimped DDs and encourages DD players to not even use AA.

Right now if a DD with poor AA toggles on their guns after being spotted they might get one or even two plane kills for little penalty. Now if you're playing say, Shimakaze, you will have literally 0 AA because turning it on will bloom your air detect for 20s and you won't even shoot down a single plane before he dumps an entire run of rockets into you.

And as others have said, this completely butchers Halland. Now you can either leave your AA on and give him an easy rocket strike (which will do upwards of 25% of your HP) or you can toggle it and be unable to shoot down any of his planes at which point he still gets a free rocket strike on you anyways. I'm getting really sick of grinding tech trees when WG immediately dumpsters them.

Members
1,650 posts

'AA guns start preliminary firing at planes at a range 30% higher than their maximum value. When flying in this outer aura, shell explosions appear above and below the course of a squadron, and continuous damage is not dealt.'

Hapa, is this a  Russian to English translation issue? 

[CAAT]
Members
1,730 posts
4,990 battles
1 hour ago, warheart1992 said:

Halland and AA-specific DDs: "I can't believe my AA is worthless now."

Atlanta, Texas, and California: "First time?"

• Cool 3
  • Haha 2

[-TKS-]
[-TKS-]
Members
1,159 posts
8,956 battles

58 minutes ago, MrDeaf said:

7s is ridiculously long

15 minutes ago, MrDeaf said:

did you even read what was written?

did you comprehend what you read?

40 to 60% is distance, as in meters

20s is time, as in seconds

these are two different units of measurement that don't even measure the same thing.

Let's back up. 

A ships detectability by air is being reduced by 40%, minimum. Let's look at some examples using this % only:

Ship Current detectability by air New detectability by air AA Range New Preliminary AA Mechanic Range
Yamato 12.8 7.68 5.8 7.54
Großer Kurfürst 14.9 8.94 6 7.8
De Moines 7.9 4.74 5.8 7.54
Petropavlovsk 8.6 5.16 6.6 8.58
Minotaur 8.5 5.1 6.9 8.97
Gearing 3.4 2.04 5.8 7.54

Notice some differences? The detectability by air for some ships will now be lower than their AA Range. 

In affect, this gives a good number of ship captains the choice on when to engage enemy planes. That is, you can start the interaction vs the CV. 

Fighters will now be in range of AA if they want to spot these types of AA cruisers.

Generally, with this change, a ship would not want to turn on its AA vs a fighter if it isn't being spotted by it. The preliminary AA is more around attack planes then the fighter/spotting planes.

• Cool 4
  • Haha 1
  • Boring 1

[IND8]
[IND8]
Members
1,255 posts
11,727 battles

I would like to think the player base is smart, then I read comments... It's obvious to me, a lot of players don't actually understand what any of this means. The 7 second wind up relates to players that turn their AA off. The priority sector system won't be changed. 

• Cool 5