You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
STINKWEED_

Ranked Sprint Ship Type of Choice?

54 comments in this topic

[-TKS-]
Members
3,354 posts
18,243 battles

I'm interested to hear from experienced players on what they think will be the dominating ship type for Ranked Sprint. Also, what specific ships lend well to these battles?
In the last sprint (1x1) It was Bismarck and Tirpitz. Maybe someone can do a poll?

Let the feedback commence!

[THREE]
Members
2,151 posts
10,967 battles

What tier is it?

Probably some sort of DD, the other classes are handicapped in small team environments.

[-TKS-]
Members
3,354 posts
18,243 battles
2 minutes ago, Cpt_Cupcake said:

What tier is it?

Probably some sort of DD, the other classes are handicapped in small team environments.

Tier 9  3x3

[THREE]
Members
2,151 posts
10,967 battles
Just now, STINKWEED_ said:

Tier 9  3x3

Either Benham, black, or friesland.

They're the only T9 DDs I'll be running.

[-TKS-]
Members
3,354 posts
18,243 battles
6 minutes ago, Cpt_Cupcake said:

I only have Jutland, Jean Bart, Musashi, Yugumo, Fletcher, Brindisi, Donskoi, Neptune, and Alsace in port. 

None seem suited for this type of match. Perhaps Fletcher ?

Edited by STINKWEED_
  • Cool 1

[-TRM-]
[-TRM-]
Members
3,347 posts

I don't have much of a T9 stuff. Either Neptune or Pommern. Both of which I expect to be eaten alive in Sprint. Particularly the Neptune.

I am working on sourcing a german DD or UK dd at T9 but it will be a while. It wont bother me too much if I have one in time. There will be another sprint.

[SOFOP]
Members
2,477 posts
15,297 battles

Pommern will be strong because it can deal with most threats.  It can take the damage from a BB, can hit decently hard against most cruisers and can use secondaries to kill DDs.  If it gets to brawl with another BB, forget about it.

Georgia seems like a decent choice also.  Good secondaries to deal with the DDs and cruisers, and speed to get out of trouble.

I would avoid smoke ships like Neptune, as you are too reliant on spotting.  A radar Neptune could be a surprise though for the enemy.

Black would probably be ok, but gimmick reliant with those slow torps.  Kitakaze is always a beast along with Jutland.

Cruisers...I don't know.  The radar boats should be ok.  Without radar, they seem to be sort of our of place these days.

• Cool 1

[S0L0]
[S0L0]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
5,013 posts
7,823 battles

As with most ranked w/o CVs.  this will be a DD fest.   The fact that it's sprint will lead to a lot of other ships being played.. But likely DDs will be strongest for good players.   Will see a lot of Black, Jutland, and Shimikaze  Kitakaze, I expect.  3 vs 3 should make it interesting.    

Edited by iRA6E
Brain Fart
  • Cool 1

[DVYJC]
Members
4,190 posts
10,784 battles
23 minutes ago, Cpt_Cupcake said:

Friesland is one of my three or four favorite ships in the game, but I think she will be a poor choice for this format. The lack of torpedoes and middling wiggle and go-fast means she counts on ganging up on her targets and avoiding return fire by not being the most interesting thing to shoot back at, or by hiding in smoke. In the 3 v 3 format, Friesland will be unable to carry because she can't kill cruisers or battleships without smoke and spotting.

3 minutes ago, Old_Baldy_One said:

I would avoid smoke ships like Neptune, as you are too reliant on spotting.  A radar Neptune could be a surprise though for the enemy.

I expect smoke will be of more limited use as well. In a larger team battle, if you smoke up and the enemy doesn't have radar or long-range hydro up and the ability to push you, they tend to lose interest and go chase someone they can see. In 3 v 3, there's really no one else to chase per se, so hiding in smoke will not cause the reds to lose interest in you in the same way. Plus, I expect we will see a lot of Alaskas, so radar will probably be nearly ubiquitous.

[SOFOP]
Members
2,477 posts
15,297 battles
1 minute ago, RainbowFartingUnicorn said:

Plus, I expect we will see a lot of Alaskas, so radar will probably be nearly ubiquitous.

Oo, forgot all about Alaska.  Thats a decent take for sure.  And if you can div, a Brindisi might be a good choice, if you can div up with a stealthy DD for spotting.  Kind of SOL without spotting though.

Members
1,654 posts
11,795 battles

I've got a lot of newly-minted T9s to grind.   Ibuki, Yugumo, Kitakaze, Fletcher (soon), Sov. Soyuz, and FDG.    Not sure how the XP payouts will be on a 3v3 situation, but it's a no-fuss grind in Sprint.

[-TKS-]
Members
3,354 posts
18,243 battles
16 minutes ago, iRA6E said:

As with most ranked w/o CVs.  this will be a DD fest.   The fact that it's sprint will lead to a lot of other ships being played.. But likely DDs will be strongest for good players.   Will see a lot of Black, Jutland, and Shimikaze I expect.  3 vs 3 should make it interesting.    

Shimikaze is tier 10

[USCG]
Members
764 posts
23,579 battles

DD wise, Jutland and Black. Black’s radar will come in handy finding other DDs. If the team can focus fire the detected DD then that’s one DD down or hurting bad. 

[SCCC]
Members
109 posts
4,666 battles
1 hour ago, STINKWEED_ said:

I'm interested to hear from experienced players on what they think will be the dominating ship type for Ranked Sprint. Also, what specific ships lend well to these battles?
In the last sprint (1x1) It was Bismarck and Tirpitz. Maybe someone can do a poll?

Let the feedback commence!

Honestly just play whatever you want. It's a ranked sprint, so just have fun with it! I'm personally going to be playing Fletcher (not just because it's my only tier IX with a 19 point captain, I promise), and I'm just going to be goofing off and not taking it too seriously. 

Last ranked sprint it only took me 18 games to rank out, so I'm going to enjoy this one while it lasts.

[S0L0]
[S0L0]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
5,013 posts
7,823 battles
19 minutes ago, Sabot_100 said:

misprint?

18 minutes ago, STINKWEED_ said:

Shimikaze is tier 10

Yes..... PEBKAC

• Cool 1

[KWF]
Members
6,361 posts
7,145 battles

The possibly strongest DD in a 3v3 is Neustrashimy. You bring cruiser potential HP to a DD slot. That said, it should be a pretty rare sight.

• Haha 1

SuperTest Coordinator, Beta Testers
7,023 posts
13,117 battles

I'd like to point out that the meta for ranked will actually shift over time even during the course of the season. For example, in Season 17, we started with a heavy BB/CV meta that exposed the weaknesses of some specialized destroyers. Towards the end of the ranked season, we'd be seeing a lot more DDs with sonar.

From a generally unbiased standpoint, Musashi is solid against other BBs and CAs, but suffers against a DD-favored meta due to its slow turret traverse and meta.

Jean Bart, on the other hand, while not as strong against Musashi, covers CAs and DDs superbly well with its reload capabilities and high speed. Alsace would be a potential F2P alternative in my recommendation for the BB slot. Pommern could also fit in here, though I don't have enough experience with it to recommend it.

For DDs, Kitakaze shines pretty well. Its normal "fewer torps than normal" is offset by "fewer enemies than normal" allowing it to serve in that close-in torpedo rush role if necessary and break even. Benham would also be an aggressive choice but obviously gives up some in the firing department.

For cruisers, I gotta look through the list, but Alaska and other heavier cruisers would probably be a safer bet than light cruisers, favoring heavy HE damage and pens over high ROF.

[PVE]
Members
11,069 posts
19,170 battles

I suppose I will try many ships, just because I have 33 tier 9 ships. I somehow am wanting to try Siegfried out.

image.thumb.png.90394b80fdfe7034d2f8ccbc9bd040dc.png

[LSNB]
Members
247 posts
7,517 battles

Yall are sleeping on Mogador. Rush in, MBRB enemy DD, run away, come back and Yolo the BB, easy wins. 

[THREE]
Members
2,151 posts
10,967 battles
1 hour ago, RainbowFartingUnicorn said:

Friesland is one of my three or four favorite ships in the game, but I think she will be a poor choice for this format. The lack of torpedoes and middling wiggle and go-fast means she counts on ganging up on her targets and avoiding return fire by not being the most interesting thing to shoot back at, or by hiding in smoke. In the 3 v 3 format, Friesland will be unable to carry because she can't kill cruisers or battleships without smoke and spotting.

I suspect this will be a DD heavy sprint, hence friesland being on my list.

Her inability to quickly dispatch CAs or BBs is mitigated by most people running those classes probably, frankly speaking and with all due respect... either memeing or being potato.

[THREE]
Members
2,151 posts
10,967 battles
51 minutes ago, Captain_Rawhide said:

How about Musashi?  Will she be too slow to dodge the torps and CV spam?

What CVs?

[-TKS-]
Members
3,354 posts
18,243 battles

Seems that Fletcher will be outmatched by many of the newer premium DDs.  How does Jutland stand up. As? I recall when I was grinding it...not too well.